Bulls n Bears Entrepreneurship Zone :: The journey so far: John Wainaina Karanja, founder, BitHub Africa

Bulls n Bears bulls at bulls.co.zw
Fri Oct 26 08:01:13 CAT 2018

 <http://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

John Wainaina Karanja is the founder and consulting lead of BitHub Africa,
a Nairobi-based commercially driven blockchain accelerator that seeks to
drive the adoption of various blockchain technologies and solutions across
Africa.

1. Tell us about one of the toughest situations you’ve found yourself in as
a business owner.

Ordinarily, the main challenge I face as a business owner in Kenya is
maintaining cash flow to ensure we continue to meet our obligations, like
payroll, as well as service delivery. On the whole, there is a significant
cost to doing business in Kenya, especially for startups and small and
medium enterprises due to underdeveloped infrastructure and negative
external forces such as corruption.

This has presented opportunities for new disruptive digital technologies to
bring in new efficiencies, such as transparency and accountability, that can
be leveraged to mitigate some of the challenges we faced in the past. At
BitHub Africa, we focus on building technical capacity in blockchain
technology, with a view of providing robust solutions in the financial and
energy sector. Leveraging blockchain has allowed us to accelerate research
and development of projects, build faster and cheaper remittance services,
as well as distribute energy solutions.

2. Which business achievement are you most proud of?

Our impactful efforts at BitHub Africa over the past three years to educate
more than 4,000 people about the potential of blockchain technology on the
continent through our meetups and conferences.

We are working with partners to scale blockchain engineering education
through an open platform called Whive.Academy that will operate across the
continent and train 1,000 blockchain engineers over the next two years. The
idea is to have a pool of skilled engineers that will develop impactful
solutions to key challenges facing African people.

3. Describe your greatest weakness as an entrepreneur.

Probably trying to develop too many concepts at the same time. I think this
is a challenge, especially among creatives in tech. Thankfully, using the
agile methodology and incubation process and blockchain technology, I have
been able to settle on the most disruptive ideas, or what you would call
low-hanging-fruit, that we can feasibly implement in the shortest time.

Additionally, tokenisation a key aspect of blockchain, allows one to
collaborate with other innovators on other ideas of interest through
stakeholding or the distributed economy. An entrepreneur using blockchain
could, for example, issue crypto-graphic tokens and distribute them to
stakeholders, such as team members, investors and, even, customers, for them
to support his idea. These tokens could then be used to access the product,
thus creating an ecosystem of value for all interested parties.

If the product is useful, the value of the tokens would grow and,
therefore, reward stakeholders for participating in the development of the
product. I believe this model is the future of startups in the digital
economy, especially in Africa.

4. Which popular entrepreneurial advice do you disagree with?

Over time, I have come to disagree with the notion that one needs huge
capital to start a successful business anywhere in the world. I think in the
digital age of social media, blockchain and crypto-currencies, one can build
interesting new enterprises that leverage these new technologies to scale
ideas quickly beyond one’s border.

In Kenya, you are seeing many young women building successful businesses
using Instagram. This is the future economy. This is why at BitHub Africa we
are focusing on building up capacity for young entrepreneurs to start
developing their ideas early using permission-less models that further
reduce the cost for starting a business. This will create a lot of freelance
and skills-based employment by efficiently allocating talent to the most
useful businesses.

5. Is there anything you wish you knew about entrepreneurship before you
got started?

In hindsight, I think it is always better for an entrepreneur to gain as
much experience as possible through internships and/or short-term employment
in industries and areas of interest. This will arm them with enough
knowledge and a bit of capital to test their ideas before they fully dive
in.

Entrepreneurship is still tough, despite technology making some things
easier. You need to be a well-rounded individual to survive the hardships
that arise from time to time, especially in an economy where resources are
typically allocated inefficiently. In the end, patience is key, as it will
take time to be successful and reap rewards for your efforts.

But, thankfully, probably for the first time in history, technology has
tilted opportunities in favour of those who are willing to put in the work!—
Howwemadeitinafrica

John Wainaina Karanja

Telephone:    <tel:%2B263%204%202927658> +263 4 2927658

Alt. Email:    <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

Website:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AF
QjCNH8LYgdY55h-XKseuM8Kpr-JKdfhQ> www.bulls.co.zw

Blog:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw%2Fblog&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AFQjCNFoIy6F9IXAiYnSoPSgWDYsr8Sqtw> www.bulls.co.zw/blog

Twitter:                  @bullsbears2010

LinkedIn:               Bulls n Bears Zimbabwe