Bulls n Bears Entrepreneurship Zone :: The journey so far: Mary Mwangi, CEO, Data Integrated

Bulls n Bears bulls at bulls.co.zw
Fri Sep 21 08:21:28 CAT 2018

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

Mary Mwangi is the CEO of Data Integrated, a Kenyan ICT company that offers
financial solutions to SMEs.

1. Tell us about one of the toughest situations you’ve found yourself in as
a business owner.

When I had to decide whether to continue to work with a bank in [a]
partnership that had not kept its side of an agreed contract, or find a
different partner bank. I walked out of the deal because I felt it would not
be reliable working in such a partnership since they did not keep their
obligations right from the onset. It cost us time and, therefore, delays in
project delivery, but I will say I am happy with that decision.

 2. Which business achievement are you most proud of?

Work we have done with the team and the milestones we have accomplished in
the public transport space. We have been able to streamline revenue
management in public transport, thus sealing cash leakages, loopholes and
allowing for transparency and efficiency in how the business is run.

Matatu Owners and the Savings and Credit Co-operative Organisations have
reported that our system has increased their revenue up to 40%. This gives
us the motivation to work more on the solutions.

3. Describe your greatest weakness as an entrepreneur.

I care a lot about people’s welfare and, sometimes, you need to distance
yourself to be able to make tough decisions – like letting an employee go
because they are no longer performing, and their goals are not aligned with
those of the company.

I have found this to be really taxing since they might influence other
employees negatively towards the company. I have learned that, as the CEO,
what is best for the company should be the main focus when making these
types of decisions – no matter how tough they are.

4. Which popular entrepreneurial advice do you disagree with?

The thought that experience is an indication of performance. I have found
that character is a better indicator of how employees perform. If someone is
qualified for the job, has a good attitude, good work ethic and a
willingness to learn – hire them; as they will perform better than a person
with a lot of experience but has certain set ways of working.

Since we are a startup, flexibility is important. Without discounting
experience, If I have to choose I would take the character traits versus
experience any day.

5. Is there anything you wish you knew about entrepreneurship before you
got started?

Yes, that it is harder than it looks. The partnerships and networks are
tough but necessary to get ahead.

6. Name a business opportunity you would still like to pursue.

I think there are several untapped business opportunities. If I am to name
one, it would be in product offerings such as outdoor entertainment, fashion
and clothing for young adults and teenagers.—Howwemadeitinafrica

Mary Mwangi

Telephone:    <tel:%2B263%204%202927658> +263 4 2927658

Alt. Email:    <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

Website:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AF
QjCNH8LYgdY55h-XKseuM8Kpr-JKdfhQ> www.bulls.co.zw

Blog:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw%2Fblog&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AFQjCNFoIy6F9IXAiYnSoPSgWDYsr8Sqtw> www.bulls.co.zw/blog

Twitter:                  @bullsbears2010

LinkedIn:               Bulls n Bears Zimbabwe