Bulls n Bears Entrepreneurship Zone :: Rumbi Serima-Fowler, a Zimbabwean organic skincare entrepreneur building a global ethical beauty brand

Bulls n Bears bulls at bulls.co.zw
Tue Feb 5 06:25:19 CAT 2019

 <http://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

Consumers are becoming more aware and interested in the ethical production
of the cosmetics and beauty products they use. And Mimi’s Organics Ltd,
founded by entrepreneur Rumbi Serima-Fowler, is one company that is
passionate about creating world class products that have a soft touch on the
environment and on the people who use them.

LoA chatted to founder Rumbi to find out more this month.

What does your company do?

Skincare! Mimi’s Organics is a real heart-based business, both in how it’s
run and the reasons why it exists. We represent both quality and care in the
organic skin care sector, by creating food grade based products that use
only natural, organic quality, ethically traded raw materials that are
sourced from registered suppliers... who are able to verify the integrity of
each ingredient used. Mimi’s Organics ethical standards continue past
initial product creation – with all ingredients, containers and packaging
ethically sourced. Mimi’s Organics care about providing cruelty free
products – but not just as an end result – but also in the manufacturing and
research stages of production.

“As a beauty manufacturer I subscribe to the environmentally friendly,
sustainable and zero waste doctrine.”

What inspired you to start your company?

Rumbi’s passion in natural and organic remedies was awoken when her son was
diagnosed with autism. Toxins within various consumer products seemed to
have a negative effect on her younger son so, due to her desire to provide
better life experiences for him, she began searching for more natural and
organic products. The quality and nature of those products though did not
always lead to a positive experience – so Rumbi set out to make her own!

Rumbi spent the next fours years retraining to gain her cosmetology
qualifications; learning everything needed to successfully run her own
business – from natural skincare and anti-wrinkle/skin rejuvenation
products, through to Organic Skincare and business skills  – and
successfully becoming a Licensed Skincare Tutor too. Rumbi now also runs
workshops, e-courses and mini introductory formulation classes through her
training site Mimi's Academy.

Why should anyone use your service or product?

As a beauty manufacturer I subscribe to the environmentally friendly,
sustainable and zero waste doctrine. I realize that as a brand that was born
out of the need to go back to nature, I must continue to operate at that
level. This means that I will never compromise on the quality of my
ingredients, and my packaging will be recyclable. When approaching waste and
sustainability, I always focus on every aspect of the supply chain. I
believe in offering a quality service and products as a result of my own
skincare experiences with my son. I also believe that as humans we are
custodians of the earth and it is our responsibility to look after it.

“I realize that as a brand that was born out of the need to go back to
nature, I must continue to operate at that level. This means that I will
never compromise on the quality of my ingredients, and my packaging will be
recyclable.”

Tell us a little about your team

Mimi's Organics is primarily based in the UK but has an online element in
terms of training via Mimi's Academy, www.mimisacademy.com and formulating
services via www.rumbiserima.com. It also has started operations in Africa
(South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana) with the aim of increasing our
presence in Africa. I have a very supportive team which compliments the
company structure. Christine Hammacott is responsible for all the design
work. Nomsa Mwamuka of Muka Media helps with most of the copy and marketing
in Africa. Nyasha Chimba sorts out the UK side of the sales, marketing and
promotions etc. There are also members of the production team which is
headed by me, and I am primarily in charge of the formulating and training.

Share a little about your entrepreneurial journey. And, do you come from an
entrepreneurial background?

My mother was a serial business woman who started and ran a number of
different businesses including a hair and beauty salon. From the time I was
as little as 5 years old, I used to go selling with mother in Zimbabwe. She
was a seamstress and regularly supplied items of clothing to her customers
in the next town from us in Harare. I remember having my own customers.
During my high school years I held down a holiday/weekend job in a hair
dressing salon, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

What are your future plans and aspirations for your company?

To establish a system within the Southern region of Africa to start with,
by way of a processing plant with materials ingredients supplied by locals.
These would be used in the manufacturing process or exported as raw
ingredients to the West. I am determined to train as many women as I can to
make their own organic skincare products rather than buy toxin filled, green
washed products supplied by the commercial/mainstream beauty sector.

The global natural and organic beauty market is predicted to reach $22 bn
by 2024. 90% of those ingredients are easily grown and will be sourced from
Africa and other countries with a more suitable climate agriculturally. I
strongly believe that the benefits should be felt on the continent of Africa
and have purposed to play my part in making that a reality by means of
training and supporting African women, and also pushing for favourable
trading standards so that our resources are not exploited as is the current
situation where raw materials are exported and then processed and returned
to Africa and sold at a higher cost.

“I believe that as humans we are custodians of the earth and it is our
responsibility to look after it.”

What gives you the most satisfaction being an entrepreneur?

Giving my customers products that are results driven and knowing that my
products are toxin free. Also giving a wholesome service as I believe beauty
is from the inside out. I have also written a user 'manual' suitable for all
generations, The Black Girls Little Black Book of Beauty, in my quest to
make sure as black women we are fully empowered and educated on our skincare
choices and have attempted to debunk some myths about black skin because a
lot of the products on the market are made by people that do not use them.

What's the biggest piece of advice you can give to other women looking to
start-up?

It is true when they say it is not easy to be successful, but if you are
passionate about what you do, that will carry you over the obstacles and
give you energy. Always strive to do your best, and yes you need those eight
hours of sleep, but sometimes you just have to get things done and will
probably end up doing an all nighter!-- lionessesofafrica.com

Rumbi Serima-Fowler, founder of Mimi’s Organics Ltd (UK/Zimbabwe)

Telephone:    <tel:%2B263%204%202927658> +263 4 2927658

Alt. Email:    <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

Website:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AF
QjCNH8LYgdY55h-XKseuM8Kpr-JKdfhQ> www.bulls.co.zw

Blog:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw%2Fblog&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AFQjCNFoIy6F9IXAiYnSoPSgWDYsr8Sqtw> www.bulls.co.zw/blog

Twitter:                  @bullsbears2010

LinkedIn:               Bulls n Bears Zimbabwe