Bulls n Bears Entrepreneurship Zone :: Andrena Sawyer, a woman entrepreneur from Sierra Leone on a mission to help non-profits and small businesses thrive

Bulls n Bears bulls at bulls.co.zw
Tue Feb 12 06:13:35 CAT 2019

 <http://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

One of the biggest challenges for so many small businesses and non-profit
organisations is getting the right capacity building and business
development advice in the early years to ensure long term sustainability.
That is where Andrena Sawyer and her company, P.E.R.K. Consulting, come with
the right solutions.

LoA learned more about this high impact advisory firm on a mission to make
a real difference from founder Andrena Sawyer.

What does your company do?

P.E.R.K. Consulting is an advisory firm that specializes in business
development and capacity building support for nonprofits and small
businesses. Our services include business & nonprofit registration, business
plans, staff & volunteer training, strategic planning, grant & proposal
writing and more. Our commitment to each client's success is not just for a
project, but also for developing long-term relationships that serve their
ongoing needs. Whether an organization is at the inception stage, or looking
for some guidance for implementing program ideas, our business development
strategies support each client in applying a systematic approach for
internal organizational projects, as well as large scale community
initiatives.

“I was inspired to start P.E.R.K. Consulting (P.E.R.K.) based on an
observation that while nonprofits create tremendous social impact and
change, their lifespans are often cut short due to being underfunded and
underdeveloped.”

What inspired you to start your company?

I was inspired to start P.E.R.K. Consulting (P.E.R.K.) based on an
observation that while nonprofits create tremendous social impact and
change, their lifespans are often cut short due to being underfunded and
underdeveloped. By starting P.E.R.K., I envisioned a thriving and affordable
advisory firm equipped with experts and resources for promising entities.
Over the years, the idea has evolved to include for-profit services. We have
grown from a one-woman operation to a team of nonprofit and small businesses
professionals that have worked with hundreds of small businesses and
nonprofits since our launch.

Why should anyone use your service or product?

We have created a unique business model that not only puts clients first,
but we have incorporated our commitment to community development in our
operations with two signature programs--the NextGen Scholarship for
international students, and the Pro Bono program for deserving, but
underfunded organizations. This allows us to use a percentage of our profit
to give back to our local community. When clients use our services, they not
only receive high quality support, but they become part of our philanthropic
efforts.

“We have created a unique business model that not only puts clients first,
but we have incorporated our commitment to community development in our
operations with two signature programs--the NextGen Scholarship for
international students, and the Pro Bono program for deserving, but
underfunded organizations.”

Share a little about your entrepreneurial journey. And, do you come from an
entrepreneurial background?

“Get real.” I’d lost track of how many times I was offered that advice,
unsolicited, and in so many words. In 2012, I was 25, close to broke and
smiling as I reported that I was quitting my full-time job to start my own
business. The truth was that I couldn’t blame my friends and family for
questioning my sanity. There I was, January 2012, resignation letter typed
out, but dated for August 8, 2012. I knew that I had some serious planning
to do if I was going to follow-through with what I’d just written. In my
excitement, I’d shared my plans with several people, and the fear of seeming
flighty left me no choice but to actually follow-through—no matter how
scared I was on the inside. When August 8, 2012 came around, I stared at my
bank account and did the mental calculations of how long it would take
before I went running back with my tail between my legs. When I realized
that I wasn’t quite as ready as I thought I was, I swallowed my pride and
stayed on the job. It was then that I learned my first lesson about
entrepreneurship—you can only put off the inevitable for so long. One month
later, on September 9, 2012 I walked away from my position to start my
company, P.E.R.K Consulting. 4 months later, I had my official launch party,
and it was in that moment I knew there was no turning back—or at least, it
would be very difficult to do so.

I never actually wanted to be an entrepreneur. I’m often asked the
question, “are entrepreneurs born, or are they made?” My response is always,
“both,” because I see traces of both in my own life. My father is an
entrepreneur. All my life I have watched him create. There is something in
him, even after having a business that failed, that itches for the freedom
of building and creating. I blame (credit) him for passing that on to me. My
mother is what I call a “wishful entrepreneur.” She has unlimited
creativity, and is quick to identify the need to be solved—a key trait for
entrepreneurs. However, she’ll be the first to tell you she values the
stability that is often difficult to come by in the entrepreneurial journey.
I blame (credit) her for the made part. Watching them—the hustle and the
uncertainty—made entrepreneurship something left to be desired. However,
seeing the growth of a company I started in the living room of my
one-bedroom apartment, which is now in 3 cities across the United States,
gives me much pride and joy.

Following through on my dream one of the best decisions that I’ve ever
made, primarily because I get to help others follow through on their dreams.
P.E.R.K. Consulting (P.E.R.K.) specializes in three core services—entity
formation, strategic planning and business development. When I started
P.E.R.K., I was content with being an independent contractor working with a
couple of nonprofit organizations at a time. However, the idea evolved
faster than I could adapt. After developing several arms of the business, it
quickly became evident that P.E.R.K. could no longer remain a one-person
operation. Within a year and a half, my independent consulting project, that
allowed me to work from home, became a small business made of nonprofit and
small business professionals.

It’s been over 6 years since P.E.R.K. officially launched. Like most
entrepreneurs, I've lost a lot in the process, but I have also gained an
incredible amount. I have been the recipient of numerous business awards and
recognition. I have been featured in magazines, newspapers, blogs and media
platforms. I have met and worked with some of the most influential people of
my generation. I have been trusted to speak to audiences that I would not
otherwise have access to. Our growth as a company is no longer just a dream.
There are tangible and measurable successes. I have gone from working with
2-3 small clients at a time, to managing a team that can handle the
solo-entrepreneur as well as a project with a government agency, or the
local university. We have gone from a couple of workshops and training
sessions annually, to over 100 workshops (and increasing) each year.

During a candid conversation with my father, he once told me “remember who
you are.” He was reminding me that my core values, contributions, abilities
and skills matter. That advice has guided my business practices. It has
shaped P.E.R.K's core values—Passion, Experience, Relevance and Knowledge;
it affects the initiatives that we create—including our annual scholarship
award; and it influences the company culture that we are creating both
internally and externally with service provision. I don’t do what I do with
P.E.R.K. for the recognition. I am motivated by the fact that I finally
found my passion as an entrepreneur.

What's the biggest piece of advice you can give to other women looking to
start-up?

Be persistent. As cliché as it sounds, do not give up. Entrepreneurship can
be extremely stressful, and you may initially encounter a lot of rejection.
Do your due diligence by ensuring the idea is viable. Get the support of
trusted mentors and advisers, and push through the challenges. The reward is
great.-- lionessesofafrica.com

Andrena Sawyer, founder of P.E.R.K. Consulting (Sierra Leone)

Telephone:    <tel:%2B263%204%202927658> +263 4 2927658

Alt. Email:    <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

Website:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AF
QjCNH8LYgdY55h-XKseuM8Kpr-JKdfhQ> www.bulls.co.zw

Blog:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw%2Fblog&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AFQjCNFoIy6F9IXAiYnSoPSgWDYsr8Sqtw> www.bulls.co.zw/blog

Twitter:                  @bullsbears2010

LinkedIn:               Bulls n Bears Zimbabwe