Bulls n Bears Entrepreneurship Zone :: Rachel Phiri - The startup story of a Zimbabwean jewellery designer with an independent creative spirit

Bulls n Bears bulls at bulls.co.zw
Tue Feb 19 07:04:37 CAT 2019

 <http://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

Zimbabwean jewellery designer, Rachel Phiri, founded her company Silverbox
Jewellery based on a passion for beautiful accessories and an inbuilt
creativity that was looking for an outlet. The result is a jewellery
business being built across two countries in Africa, and involving the
family and their talents in its growth and development.

 As part of LoA’s special Focus on Africa’s Women Jewellery Designers, we
chatted to Rachel Phiri recently to find out more about how she became a
jewellery designer and the experiences on her entrepreneurial journey so
far.

Tell us a little about your company, Silverbox Jewellery

My company, Silverbox Jewellery is a Zimbabwean enterprise, creating
beautiful, affordable handcrafted jewellery. I was inspired to startup the
business as a result of my independent, creative spirit and my love for
jewellery, which is unique and showcases quality workmanship - plus its
greatly priced. I believe that what makes Silverbox Jewellery special is my
great eye for the stones that are used and the colour combinations chosen
for each piece, all of which is relevant to today's women’s accessorising
needs.

"I was inspired to startup the business as a result of my independent,
creative spirit and my love for jewellery, which is unique and showcases
quality workmanship."

Tell us a little about your team

I have a small growing team at Silverbox Jewellery. I am responsible for
the engine work of the business, making the jewellery, coordinating the
pricing, ensuring quality control, handling the administration, managing the
social media and the photography. My sister handles the South African
marketplace side of the business, and is responsible for buying, dealing
with customers that country, and she is overseeing our new retail venture
which is located in Woodstock. She is also a valuable sounding board when
brainstorming new jewellery designs, or identifying and researching markets
or events to attend in South Africa, particularly in Cape Town. Graphic Edge
in Johannesburg maintains and updates my website. They also create the
artwork for my business cards, banners or any other graphic design work I
might require for the business. Providing essential assistance on the ground
during events or fairs, I have two casual ladies who work with me, Tassja
and Tiffany.

"In terms of my entrepreneurial background, my parents set a really great
example for me as business people. My mum used to knit, sew and bake items
to sell. My father used his retrenchment package to start a grinding mill
business that has been operating for over 20 years now."

Share a little about your entrepreneurial journey. And, do you come from an
entrepreneurial background?

I started out sewing clothes and knitting, selling the garments to family
and friends. I then designed T-shirts and sweaters incorporating beading
into the finished products. I was intrigued by the use of beadworking in
clothing and decided to pursue it full-time, attending a short course at the
Ruth Prowse School of Design in Cape Town to learn more about the tools and
techniques of jewellery making. The highlight of my entrepreneurial journey
at this point was being invited for a 2nd time by the SABC 3 breakfast show
"Expresso" for their arts and crafts segment in June 2012.

Today, I have established a series of retail partnerships in both South
Africa (Cape Town) and Zimbabwe (Harare), which I am very happy with.
Markets as retail sales points have been my bread and butter since I started
out in business, and I still attend them every week. I thrive on the
interaction I have with my customers and the feedback I get.

In terms of my entrepreneurial background, my parents set a really great
example for me as business people. My mum used to knit, sew and bake items
to sell. My father used his retrenchment package to start a grinding mill
business that has been operating for over 20 years now.

What are your future plans and aspirations for your company?

My immediate plans are to grow a loyal customer base in Zimbabwe, and at
the same time ensuring the successful launch of our Woodstock Foundry retail
space in South Africa. My medium to long-term plans are focused on opening a
flagship retail store on either side of the South African/Zimbabwe border,
whereby we will be best positioned to offer women the most authentic,
beautiful and affordable jewellery ranges. I would also love to see a major
department store in Africa stock my jewellery, and also similarly such
stores abroad. Shops such as Edgars, Woolworths or Foschini are on my vision
board in Africa. My wildest dream is for my jewellery to be used for a
motion picture movie or a television ‘soapie’.

"I love being in a position to put smiles on my customers faces - a
returning customer is the best compliment I can ever receive."

What gives you the most satisfaction being an entrepreneur?

I love being in a position to put smiles on my customers faces - a
returning customer is the best compliment I can ever receive. Also, being
able to make a living from my own ideas is priceless.

What's the biggest piece of advice you can give to other women looking to
start-up in business?

I would say always do your best work (especially when no one is watching).
Consistency in your work will speak for you louder and further than you ever
can in words. And, remember to smile and believe in yourself - if you can
dream it, you can do it.-- lionessesofafrica.com

Rachel Phiri, founder of Silverbox Jewellery (Zimbabwe)

Telephone:    <tel:%2B263%204%202927658> +263 4 2927658

Alt. Email:    <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

Website:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AF
QjCNH8LYgdY55h-XKseuM8Kpr-JKdfhQ> www.bulls.co.zw

Blog:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw%2Fblog&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AFQjCNFoIy6F9IXAiYnSoPSgWDYsr8Sqtw> www.bulls.co.zw/blog

Twitter:                  @bullsbears2010

LinkedIn:               Bulls n Bears Zimbabwe