Bulls n Bears Entrepreneurship Zone :: Tatenda Ndambakuwa, a Zimbabwean entrepreneur helping farmers become more productive through app development and data science

Bulls n Bears bulls at bulls.co.zw
Thu Feb 28 07:19:11 CAT 2019

 <http://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

Many entrepreneurs are driven by a passion to solve problems or address key
societal issues. For Tatenda Ndambakuwa, founder of Shiri, her driving force
is to address food security challenges by helping farmers in her country to
become more productive and efficient using the power of technology.

LoA learned more about this impact driven entrepreneur this month.

What does your company do?

Shiri ensures agricultural information and resources are in one place and
accessible for anyone on the African continent. The Shiri mobile phone app
allows African farmers to better manage the food production system, through
sharing equipment, knowledge, and marketplaces. It also seeks to optimize
production, sale, and distribution for small-scale farmers. We are
optimistic that Shiri, a comprehensive data science-based farming app, will
grow to make farming more productive and successful. Currently, it is only
available in Zimbabwe.

"It is my crazy idea and my most meaningful commitment to make sure hunger
is eradicated in my lifetime."

What inspired you to start your company?

The issue of figuring out how to provide adequate nutrition for future
populations needs urgent attention, making agricultural technology the next
opportunity for disruption.
By 2050, Africa’s population will double, with 1 billion projected to be
under 18 years old, and many other regions will experience similar trends.
How will we feed this growing population? How will we shape the future of
food and agriculture? Already malnutrition is rampant on the continent and
233 million people in sub-Saharan Africa were hungry/undernourished in
2014-6. It is my crazy idea and my most meaningful commitment to make sure
hunger is eradicated in my lifetime. After experiencing food shortages of
historic proportions in 2008 Zimbabwe I resolved to work on food security
which entails also working on agriculture.

Why should anyone use your service or product?

As a farmer, you get access to agricultural information and resources -
market information available to you helps reduce post-harvest spoilage. As a
consumer, you get fresh produce at an affordable price. As an agricultural
stakeholder (seed companies, agrochemical companies, food processing plants
etc) you have access to a platform to engage farmers. Agricultural science
students and researchers can connect with farmers in various regions.
Finally, drivers can earn money by delivering products and transporting
farmers to markets.

"After experiencing food shortages of historic proportions in 2008 in
Zimbabwe I resolved to work on food security which entails also working on
agriculture."

Tell us a little about your team

Currently, our team is made up of an agricultural scientist, a software
developer, and a geospatial and data scientist. The team is made up of women
from Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, and the United States.

Share a little about your entrepreneurial journey. And, do you come from an
entrepreneurial background?

I am a mathematician and urban planner by training. Entrepreneurship is
something I got a kick out of as I tried to solve the problems I see around
me. I then wanted my problem-solving methods to be sustainable, and as a
result, became a social entrepreneur. I was fortunate to have cheerleaders
and support systems that helped me advance my ideas. I have had a fair share
of challenges. The team I started with was not competent, then I had battles
surrounding my intellectual property being stolen, but the most important
thing is I have learned many lessons that will be valuable as Shiri expands.

What are your future plans and aspirations for your company?

We hope to make sure our services are available to more countries on the
African continent and Bangladesh. We want to expand our team with full-time
staff. We are hopeful that we will bring the farming community closer
together and help towards making farming more attractive and food security a
reality. Eventually, we hope to be the largest agricultural resource hub.\

"The Shiri mobile phone app allows African farmers to better manage the
food production system, through sharing equipment, knowledge, and
marketplaces."

What gives you the most satisfaction being an entrepreneur?

Solving problems I see. Making products that help our consumers in a
life-changing manner. Bringing ideas to life. Turning my passions and
beliefs into a business. Providing a comfortable workspace for employees.

What's the biggest piece of advice you can give to other women looking to
start-up?

Find your passion and seize every opportunity related to it. Do lots of
research around the industry you want to break into. Focus on the things you
can control and perfect the details. Cultivate a network of trusted mentors
and colleagues. Choose the right teammates. Above all shoot high, the most
important thing is to get up and keep trying, never give up on something you
believe in. PS: don't forget to shatter glass ceilings!--
Lionessesofafrica.com

Tatenda Ndambakuwa, founder of  <https://shirifly.org/team/> Shiri
(Zimbabwe)

Telephone:    <tel:%2B263%204%202927658> +263 4 2927658

Alt. Email:    <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

Website:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AF
QjCNH8LYgdY55h-XKseuM8Kpr-JKdfhQ> www.bulls.co.zw

Blog:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw%2Fblog&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AFQjCNFoIy6F9IXAiYnSoPSgWDYsr8Sqtw> www.bulls.co.zw/blog

Twitter:                  @bullsbears2010

LinkedIn:               Bulls n Bears Zimbabwe