Bulls n Bears Entrepreneurship Zone :: The journey so far: Precious Lunga, CEO, Baobab Circle

Bulls n Bears bulls at bulls.co.zw
Wed Jan 9 08:13:48 CAT 2019

 <http://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

Precious Lunga is the co-founder and CEO of Baobab Circle, a health tech
company that uses mobile and artificial intelligence to deliver healthcare
solutions across Africa by, for instance, providing users with personalised
tools to manage diabetes and hypertension.

1. Tell us about one of the toughest situations you’ve found yourself in as
a business owner.

For our first partnership we were told at the last minute to launch a week
ahead of schedule. However, the product integration with our partner was
still underway. The testing needed the participation of multiple units
across our much larger partner organisation. We had to pull together all the
key players and galvanise them into action.

Our mantra was [that] there is no parachute, [and] we have to do what it
takes to launch on that date. The team hardly slept that week – we cajoled,
we sweated, we smoothed over ruffled feathers. It was a nail-biting finish –
but, yes, we launched on time. Phew; it was a success, too.

2. Which business achievement are you most proud of?

Establishing Baobab Circle and building a stellar team that has delivered
an award-winning product that directly improves the lives of our customers.
It is hard work building a business, and having a fun, super-intelligent and
committed team that I enjoy spending time with makes me feel really proud.

3. Describe your greatest weakness as an entrepreneur.

I have too many ideas which I then want to implement immediately – I am
also impatient. Having a diverse team and creating an inclusive space for
them means that when I am running off on an idea my team members feel free
enough to flash the amber lights! I set my team the goal to challenge me at
least once during team meetings.

4. Which popular entrepreneurial advice do you disagree with?

One bit of popular advice I received was to earn while you build your
business and gradually transition. That did not work for me: building a
business requires a lot of mental energy and focus. Dividing yourself could
mean you are stuck between dissatisfied employment and a sluggish startup. I
am one of those people who put 100% into whatever I am doing, so side
hustles would never work for me. It has to be all in!

5. Is there anything you wish you knew about entrepreneurship before you
got started?

Yes. If I had known how much effort and time [was] involved I would have
started my business sooner. Actually, doing the entrepreneurship thing is
the best learning you can get.

6. Name a business opportunity you would still like to pursue.

Africa is a continent of young people. Those young people need the best
education to be competitive. Across the continent, the teacher shortage
remains a chronic challenge – imagine if we could have a holographic teacher
beamed across to inaccessible areas?

Quality education is truly key to Africa’s long-term sustainable
development and technology can certainly help in this regard. However, it’s
important to bear in mind that technology is not a panacea for Africa’s
challenges, nor is it a one-size-fits-all solution.--Howwemadeitinafrica

Precious Lunga

Telephone:    <tel:%2B263%204%202927658> +263 4 2927658

Alt. Email:    <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

Website:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AF
QjCNH8LYgdY55h-XKseuM8Kpr-JKdfhQ> www.bulls.co.zw

Blog:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw%2Fblog&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AFQjCNFoIy6F9IXAiYnSoPSgWDYsr8Sqtw> www.bulls.co.zw/blog

Twitter:                  @bullsbears2010

LinkedIn:               Bulls n Bears Zimbabwe