Bulls n Bears Entrepreneurship Zone :: The journey so far: Viola Llewellyn, president, Ovamba Solutions

Bulls n Bears bulls at bulls.co.zw
Wed Jan 23 07:26:05 CAT 2019

 <http://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

Viola Llewellyn is the co-founder and the president of Ovamba Solutions, a
US-based fintech company that provides micro, small and medium enterprises
in Africa and the Middle East with microfinance through a mobile platform.

1. Tell us about one of the toughest situations you’ve found yourself in as
a business owner.

The recent civil upheaval in Cameroon was incredibly difficult for us and
for our customers. We had stopped pivoting and were ready to just go viral
and scale. We had to balance caring for our customers, managing investor
expectations, the uncertainty of the Cameroon government and our need to
survive.

What kept us going, actually thriving, was selecting the best customers and
really committing to them. We explained to the investor world that Africa
will go through turmoil when growth and change are on the horizon. We
actually grew and exceeded our revenue goals and added an additional product
line for customers. We can say that we are tempered for frontier markets in
the truest sense.

2. Which business achievement are you most proud of?

We are really proud of our staff and how they have rallied to the goal to
build an alternative finance solution for the informal sector. Our staff
brought their culture and understanding of Cameroon so keenly that we have
truly become the leader as it relates to embedding culture into technology
and business solutions.

3. Describe your greatest weakness as an entrepreneur.

Tough one. Believing that everyone wants what we have to offer, from
employees and customers to investors. It is a total liability to be so
recklessly enthusiastic. It has often blinded me to some sobering realities,
such as internal fraud, bad customers and misaligned investors. I am
counterbalanced by my co-founder and guided by our mission, vision and
values. I have learned to keep focus within the agreed parameters and not to
allow my strong emotional responses to lead my reactions.

4. Which popular entrepreneurial advice do you disagree with?

I totally disagree with the idea of multitasking – it’s impossible. As a
leader, I have to delegate and I have to prioritise. I can only focus on one
thing at a time and it has to be the one thing that leads to the next thing
in a plan. I have tried random business and it fails every time. I also
disagree with the idea that entrepreneurs build companies with the end in
mind. I hate talking about exits within the first few minutes of a meeting.

5. Is there anything you wish you knew about entrepreneurship before you
got started?

Yes! I wish I had known that the best time to raise capital is right after
you raise capital.

6. Name a business opportunity you would still like to pursue.

A one-stop party and banquet service. Africans love to party but cannot
keep time or provide reliable services – at least that is the case in
Cameroon. I would build a huge box building that can be divided and expanded
into different party rooms. I would have all the plates, cutlery, tables,
chairs and décor available on site and rentable at a price per unit.

This service would be available as an app for customers to plan their party
with our resources. I would also have clothing, such as wedding dresses,
tuxes black-tie outfits, available for rent and sale. There would be a large
commercial kitchen and industrial washing machines on site. Food would not
be late, as everything is on site. Printing services would be available for
invitations.

If not that then a school for domestic training for home help, domestic
staff, babysitters and waitresses for banquets and catering events. They
would be expertly trained and then sent on temporary assignments. This would
be in response to the expanding middle class and the restriction on time
that everyone is experiencing.

The journey so far’ series is edited by Wilhelmina Maboja, with copy
editing by Xolisa Phillip, and content production by Justin Probyn and Nelly
Murungi.—Howwemadeitinafrica

Ovamba Solutions co-founders Marvin Cole (left) and Viola Llewellyn (right)

Telephone:    <tel:%2B263%204%202927658> +263 4 2927658

Alt. Email:    <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

Website:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AF
QjCNH8LYgdY55h-XKseuM8Kpr-JKdfhQ> www.bulls.co.zw

Blog:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw%2Fblog&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AFQjCNFoIy6F9IXAiYnSoPSgWDYsr8Sqtw> www.bulls.co.zw/blog

Twitter:                  @bullsbears2010

LinkedIn:               Bulls n Bears Zimbabwe