Coronavirus Global Updates, Feb 25 ::: Without vaccines, health-care workers in Mozambique dying of COVID-19

Bulls n Bears bulls at bullszimbabwe.com
Thu Feb 25 14:17:47 CAT 2021

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

 <https://www.nicozdiamond.co.zw/>

Zimbabwe COVID19 Update

As at 24 February 2021, Zimbabwe had 35 960 confirmed cases, including 32
410 recoveries and 1 456 deaths.

Zimbabwe will buy an additional 1.2 million COVID-19 vaccine doses from
China at a preferential price, President Emmerson Mnangagwa's spokesman said
on Wednesday, after Beijing agreed to give more free doses to the southern
African country.

Zimbabwe began COVID-19 vaccinations last week after receiving a donation of
200,000 doses from the China National Pharmaceutical Group (Sinopharm). The
government initially aims to inoculate health workers, security forces and
journalists, among others.

Chinese Ambassador Guo Shaochun said in a statement that his country had
decided to double its donation of vaccines to 400,000 as part of its
"solidarity and action" with Zimbabwe.

Mnangagwa's spokesman George Charamba said the government, which had already
bought 600,000 doses from Sinopharm and is expecting to take delivery of
them next week, would increase its purchases from China.

"Zimbabwe is also procuring more vaccines from China at a preferential
price. Zimbabwe is set to purchase another 1.2 million doses from China,"
Charamba wrote on Twitter.

That would bring to 1.8 million the number of COVID-19 doses being bought
from China.

Zambia's COVID-19 cases climb to 76,484

LUSAKA,(Xinhua) -- Zambia's cumulative COVID-19 cases have climbed to 76,484
following new cases recorded in the last 24 hours, figures released by its
health ministry on Wednesday have shown.

The country recorded 901 cases out of 5,231 tests done in the last 24 hours.

About 367 patients were discharged during the same period, bringing the
total recoveries to 69,803, representing a 91 percent recovery rate.

The country however recorded 11 deaths during the same period, bringing the
total deaths to 1,051.

Of the total deaths, 570 are COVID-19 deaths while 481 were COVID-19
associated deaths.

The country's active cases stood at 5,630, with 287 hospitalized while 5,343
were being managed from homes.

Covid: Biden calls 500,000 death toll a heartbreaking milestone

President Joe Biden has addressed the nation as the US passed the figure of
500,000 Covid-related deaths, the highest number of any country.

"As a nation, we can't accept such a cruel fate. We have to resist becoming
numb to the sorrow," he said on Monday.

The president and vice-president, and their spouses, then observed a moment
of silence outside the White House during a candle-lighting ceremony.

Confirmed US infections now stand at 28.1 million, also a global record.

"Today I ask all Americans to remember. Remember those we lost and remember
those we left behind," President Biden said, calling for Americans to fight
Covid together.

South Africa has found about 4 000 Covid-19 re-infections

About 4 000 cases of re-infection with Covid-19 have been found in South
Africa, Barry Schoub, the chair of the country's Ministerial Advisory
Committee on Vaccines, said.

"This is probably to a large extent due to the variant" of the virus that
was first identified in the country, he said on a webinar on Wednesday.

The mutation, known by scientists as B.1.351, was identified in the country
last last year and has become the dominant strain in the nation. With over
1.5 million known coronavirus infections and almost 50 000 deaths, South
Africa has been the hardest hit country on the continent.

On Thursday the South African government will release the results of a study
into the transmissibility of the variant, whether it can cause re-infection
and whether it causes more severe disease.

EU leaders bid to save summer with push for vaccine passports

EU leaders want to save the summer holiday season, paving the way for
British holidays in Europe, a senior EU diplomat said as the bloc's leaders
meet for a video summit.

But officials warned there would be no breakthrough on vaccination passports
at the meeting becuase of divides between member states on how they would
work.

Tourism dependent countries such as Greece, Spain and Croatia want the
passports as soon as possible but other member states want more information
on whether vaccinated people can still transmit the virus.

The senior EU diplomat said it would be preferable to agree an international
rather than just EU system.

"If we can find a way to facilitate freedom of travel, etc. Of course we are
we are open to finding ways to do so, preferably in an international
context, because it's not only intra-EU flights we're thinking of, but also
transatlantic and to Asia to Australia," the diplomat said.

"I do think we need some more time to come to a common line but we are open
to further technical work on trying to find a way forward."

Keep staying home for now, Britons urged by new Government campaign

A new Government campaign has launched urging Britons to stay home for the
time being while vaccines are rolled out and full lockdown restrictions
remain.

The campaign, which will air for the first time on ITV this evening, will
feature prominently across television, radio and social media.

Viewers are told that "every sacrifice, every day at home, every covered
face - everything we're doing is helping stop the spread of Covid-19. Let's
keep going."

Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, said: "I know it's been a long year but
we can't let up now. Everything we're doing is bringing us one step closer
to beating this virus.

"The vaccine roll out is going extremely well and is saving lives - but it
is not the only way we will reduce infection rates and be able to get back
to normality."

Professor Chris Whitty said: "Vaccines give clear hope for the future, but
for now we must all continue to play our part in protecting the NHS and
saving lives."

No-fault compensation programme for COVID-19 vaccines is a world first

New programme makes compensation available to eligible individuals in 92
low- and middle-income countries without need to resort to law courts

This is the first and only global vaccine injury compensation mechanism

The programme is funded by a small levy on each dose supported by the Gavi
COVAX AMC

The World Health Organization (WHO) and Chubb Limited (NYSE: CB), through
ESIS Inc., a Chubb company, signed an agreement on behalf of the COVAX
Facility on 17 February 2021 for the administration of a no-fault
compensation programme for the 92 low- and middle-income countries and
economies eligible for support via the Gavi COVAX Advance Market Commitment
(AMC) of the COVAX Facility.

As the first and only vaccine injury compensation mechanism operating on an
international scale, the programme will offer eligible individuals in
AMC-eligible countries and economies a fast, fair, robust and transparent
process to receive compensation for rare but serious adverse events
associated with COVAX-distributed vaccines until 30 June 2022.

By providing a no-fault lump-sum compensation in full and final settlement
of any claims, the COVAX programme aims to significantly reduce the need for
recourse to the law courts, a potentially lengthy and costly process.

ESIS, as the independent administrator of the programme, was selected in
accordance with WHO's procurement rules and procedures, and charges no fees
to applicants.

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls 'n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls 'n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2021 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email:
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell: +263 77
344 1674