Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 12 June 2021

Bulls n Bears bulls at bullszimbabwe.com
Sat Jun 12 08:03:58 CAT 2021

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com> Bullszimbabwe.com         <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments        <https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/> Bullish Thoughts        <http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter         <https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook           <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn          <https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp         <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=Unsubscribe> Unsubscribe

Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 12 June 2021

 <https://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

ü  McDonald's hit by data breach in Taiwan and South Korea

ü  Can mining save Cornwall's economy?

ü  From garden chairs to boxes: Five items in short supply

ü  UK economy grows in April as shops reopen

ü  UK space race investment 'is heating up'

ü  Virgin Atlantic explores 'flying taxi' partnership

ü  Bid to use criminal cash to refund scam victims

ü  UK economy grows in April as shops reopen

ü  Didi: Chinese ride-hailing giant files to go public in US

ü  Scottish food and drink sector criticise Australia trade deal

ü  Four directors call for Toshiba shake-up in revolt after explosive probe

ü  Bitcoin law is only latest head-turner by El Salvador's 'millennial' president

ü  G7 leaders agreed to keep the money taps open -source

ü  Wall St Week Ahead Fed meeting looms for stocks as inflation worries collide with 'Goldilocks' markets

ü  Exxon losing veteran oil traders recruited during past expansion -sources

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

McDonald's hit by data breach in Taiwan and South Korea

McDonald's is the latest big company to be hit by a data breach that has exposed customers' details.

The world's biggest burger chain said cyber attackers had accessed a "small number" of files on customers in South Korea and Taiwan.

The breach included e-mail, delivery addresses and phone numbers - but not payment details.

A spokeswoman for the firm said it would take steps to "notify regulators and customers listed in these files".

The details of the breach, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, were discovered during an external investigation after unauthorised activity was spotted on the company's network.

The company said its "substantial investment" in cyber security meant it was identified quickly.

"These tools allowed us to quickly identify and contain recent unauthorised activity on our network. A thorough investigation was conducted, and we worked with experienced third parties to support this investigation," it said.

Operations at its restaurants were not affected by the hack.

The fast food firm did say, however, that personal data on employees was also accessed - although it did not say in which countries.

"In the coming days, a few additional markets will take steps to address files that contained employee personal data.

"Moving forward, McDonald's will leverage the findings from the investigation as well as input from security resources to identify ways to further enhance our existing security measures."

It's the latest big firm to be targeted by cyber attackers in recent weeks. Game publisher Electronic Arts (EA) said on Thursday that hackers had stolen valuable information including source code for games such as FIFA 21.

The chief executive of Colonial Pipeline also told senators this week that the decision to pay a $4.4m (£3.1m) ransom to hackers in Bitcoin in May was the "hardest decision" of his career. The majority of that money has since been recovered by the US Department of Justice.-BBC

Can mining save Cornwall's economy?

At an industrial site in central Cornwall there are a couple of boreholes, each just 12cm across but driven down a kilometre into the rock.

They are pumping up water containing what may turn out to be a magic ingredient when it comes to Cornwall's future.

It's lithium, the element that goes into making batteries, for electric cars amongst other things.

"It's going to be absolutely crucial for the green industrial revolution and we think we have decent resources of it," says Lucy Crane, from the company Cornish Lithium.

Two hundred years ago, this part of Cornwall was dubbed the richest square mile on earth thanks to its copper mines, says Lucy.

And these modern day prospectors are hoping that lithium represents a new green "gold in them there hills". But it will take a couple of years before Cornish Lithium's pilot projects can establish just how much is down there.

In the meantime, with the leaders of seven of the world's richest countries here, mapping out a recovery from the biggest global health and economic shock in over a century, Cornwall itself is at an economic crossroads, more acute even than for the rest of the UK.

Cornwall's economic past was built on centuries of mining and fishing wealth, and the seeds of new industries are being sown, but its lifeblood now is tourism.

But it was also the biggest recipient of European Union (EU) development money of any area in the UK and home to coastal communities that rely on EU customers for their livelihoods. So Cornwall is now facing huge post-Brexit challenges.

Mussels to Brussels?

Few sectors were hit harder by the impact of Brexit than fishing - in particular shellfish. The UK, in common with other non-EU countries, is now banned from exporting live unpurified mussels, scallops, oysters and clams into the EU - where 90% of them are bought and eaten.

Getting his mussels to Brussels has proved nigh on impossible for Martin Laity of Sailor's Creek Shellfish, and purifying them here in the UK pre-export terminally affects their shelf life.

"The mussels wouldn't survive the purification and the transit, if I was to send that to France now, 90% of them would be dead on arrival," says Martin.

The end of the Brexit transition period was catastrophic for Martin. His business disappeared on day one, he says. And while the government might be touting trade deals with countries like Australia or Canada, he can't imagine them replacing his lost markets, not least because they import very little shellfish.

"Also you have got to look at the sustainability angle - our oyster boats work with sail power and when you are told to sell your stuff 9,000 miles around the world, it goes against the grain of what you are trying to achieve," he says.

He also warns that a decline in fishing could undermine one of Cornwall's strongest attractions.

"The entire reason we have a tourism industry is because people like the ambience of what's happening - busy people working hard in a port - it attracts people from around the world to see that. They want to see character and our industry is character"

Holiday hoops

This summer Cornwall will attract more tourists than usual as disruption to travel takes the shine off holidays abroad.

And the view from Cornwall's number one tourist attraction is an optimistic one.

The Eden Project offers a glimpse of life from far-flung corners of the world, but it is nestled among the sheer walls of an old clay mine - another reminder of the region's foundations.

The site's interim chief executive David Harland hopes visitors will remember how much easier it is to holiday in the UK, without "all the hoops you have to jump through", and keep coming back.

But even then the region will still need support, he says.

"We are standing here in Cornwall in one of the few areas of economic deprivation left in England and what we are looking for right now is a roadmap towards genuine levelling up - to find ways to make sure the wealth is genuinely spread across the country," he says.

Handouts

The EU used to provide grants worth up to £100m a year over the last 20 years - including support for the Eden project. The government has promised that will be replaced by domestic grants from a new Shared Prosperity Fund - a pot of money available to all UK areas to which the chancellor has so far committed only £220m in total.

Tim Dwelly, former leader of the Labour Group on Cornwall Council fears that means his region will receive just a fraction of the money it used to receive.

"It is genuinely shocking to think that government expects Cornwall to gear up for these huge challenges with about 5% of the budget we need. This is not levelling up, it's levelling down," he says.

It means more hope than ever is being invested in new industries like lithium mining, and geothermal energy too. These industries have the potential to kill two economic birds with one stone - decarbonisation and levelling up, while reducing people's dependency on a sector that is both fickle and seasonal.

"One in five jobs in Cornwall depends on tourism and we need to change that," says Conservative MP for Truro and Falmouth, Cherilyn Mackrory. "We want a different Cornwall that isn't reliant on handouts."-BBC

>From garden chairs to boxes: Five items in short supply

Shortages of garden furniture, building supplies, cardboard and other packaging are causing a headache for business and consumers as summer looms.

A combination of problems - including port delays due to Covid measures, a surge in online orders during lockdowns, the burden of Brexit paperwork and disruption to the Suez canal - has increased competition for shipping container space and delayed delivery times.

Richard from Ilkley in West Yorkshire and his family are making do with camping chairs after his garden furniture order was delayed.

He is still waiting for a corner sofa, glass top table and three stools from furniture company Mattressman.

He paid £839 upfront in March and was told the furniture would arrive by 6 May.

"After contacting the company again to try to establish what was going on, we discovered that the furniture had arrived but was sitting in a shipping container, so we couldn't get a delivery date."

Richard, who has now been told his order will not arrive until August, said he was "very disappointed and upset".

Mattressman's spokesperson told the BBC: "It's an industry-wide shipping issue across the board and we're working closely with lots of suppliers to provide as much clarity as we possibly can."

The founder logistics app logistics app Annalise Davis said of the commodities she monitors, up to 94% are experiencing "extreme" port delays from mainland China.

More positive Covid cases have been identified in places such as Shenzhen, leading to tighter coronavirus measures at ports, according to a Maersk advisory.

2. Building supplies: 'I'm experiencing delays at all angles'

Chris Nutley, a building contractor based in Sussex, has been waiting for more than five months for an order to complete a new kitchen in his home.

"I'm experiencing delays at all angles at the moment, professionally and personally," he said.

Building materials are running short in the UK, putting construction companies under extra pressure.

Mr Nutley's firm is facing long waits for oak and timber imports due to a lockdown backlog and logistical problems from Brexit.

"There is currently more chance of buying an overpriced bag of cement on Facebook marketplace than at the usual merchant," Chris said.

Alex Veitch, general manager of policy at Logistics UK, said he was not surprised to hear there were some supply chain problems but said it was primarily due to businesses having to deal with extra administration.

"The paperwork required for these products is here to stay due to Brexit."

"Looking at evidence of the border flow, goods are moving well, but it's typically smaller businesses who have less experience with the paperwork, or have more complicated product ingredients, that are suffering more," he said.

But Mr Veitch said hold-ups caused by the Suez Canal jam and container delays between Europe and China were short-term problems which should be resolved in a few weeks.

3. Outdoor gear: 'We're paying $14,000 for shipping, up from $2,500'

Camping and outdoor clothing have also experienced delays. Rab and Lowe Alpine chief executive Matt Gower said the company was being hit "quite badly".

"Shipments that used to take four weeks, now take eight and many aren't even sailing to the UK anymore."

"Last June we paid $2,500 (£1,800) per 40ft container, now we're paying $14,000."

Mr Gower said products would have to go up in price in the spring because of this added freight cost.

4. Cardboard boxes: 'We've switched to plain brown stock boxes'

Popcorn shed

Wholesale popcorn business Popcorn Shed has had supply problems since January.

"We're not able to get brand-printed corrugated boxes from any of our UK suppliers", director Sam Feller said.

Before Covid and Brexit, branded boxes would arrive three or four weeks after the initial order, but now "delivery dates bear no resemblance to when the order turns up" Mr Feller said.

Often the delays have come with a price hike because cardboard box manufacturers say they cannot get the usual material.

"Brexit delays and Covid issues have culminated in a perfect storm," said Mr Feller.

"We've switched to plain brown stock boxes and are larger too which means more pollution and wastage as a result."

5. Packaging: 'We've had to use larger size trays'

Sushi restaurant Chisou has also had to cope with packaging shortages.

Its five sites in central London moved primarily to take-away during the lockdowns but the price of a tray and lid has risen from 15-20p to £1.

"We often use between 300 and 400 of these units a day per restaurant so can't afford that increase," said David Leroy, founder and managing director of Chisou.

After using the same takeaway packaging suppliers for more than 20 years, Mr Leroy said he had spent hours looking for alternatives but four out of five of them were out of stock.

"We've had to use larger size trays as those are all we can find, but this can cause issues when its being delivered as the food can move around and we don't want to start getting complaints," he says.

Prior to the lockdowns, Chisou had been trying to move to pulp and cardboard trays as this was more sustainable but have had to stay with the plastic trays.

"We wanted to choose a packaging option that's better for the planet but you've got to keep going as a business," Mr Leroy adds.-BBC

UK economy grows in April as shops reopen

The UK economy grew 2.3% in April, its fastest monthly growth since July last year.

Shoppers spent more on the High Street as non-essential shops reopened, and people bought more cars and caravans.

There was also more spending in pubs, cafes and restaurants as restrictions eased the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

Despite the surge in activity, the UK economy is still 3.7% below its pre-pandemic peak.

Construction fell in April, compared to strong growth the previous month, but the sector remains above its pre-pandemic peak.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak said that the figures were "a promising sign that our economy is beginning to recover".

Mr Sunak said more than one million people had come off the government's furlough scheme in March and April as businesses reopened.

Jonathan Athow, ONS deputy national statistician for economic statistics said: "Strong growth in retail spending, increased car and caravan purchases, schools being open for the full month, and the beginning of the reopening of hospitality all boosted the economy in April."

Yael Selfin, chief economist at KPMG UK, said shoppers flocked back to the High Street as households spent some of their savings on non-essential goods.

Spending in non-essential shops drove much of the growth as customers were allowed back into stores from 12 April in England, with clothes stores seeing a boost of 69.4%.

Overall growth in the services sector was 3.4%, although it remains 4.1% below pre-pandemic levels of February 2020.

This included restaurants, bars and cafes, where customers could eat and drink outdoors again, seeing a 39% rise in growth.

People also used the ability to travel across the country again, with activity at caravan parks and holiday lets growing 68.6%, while hairdressers and other personal services grew 63.5%.

A further relaxation of lockdown rules is planned for 21 June, which would let pubs, bars and restaurants increase the number of people allowed indoors.

But that is now looking increasingly unlikely which may put downward pressure on growth in the summer.

Regardless of any pause in reopening, Ms Selfin said economic activity levels in May and June would not rise at the same rate as the April rebound.

One of the ways the pandemic has turned normal assumptions upside down is that a shrinking economy can be the successful outcome of deliberate government policy.

The government wanted to suppress economic activity to combat the virus, the public largely abided by the restrictions, and the economy shrank.

Similarly when you ease restrictions, and that suppressed activity comes back, leading to the sort of growth in a month that you're more normally see in a year, it's a deliberate and predictable outcome of policy rather than a stellar economic performance.

The economy has been growing now since January. But the "bounceback" is slower than the 7.3% growth recorded in July 2020, when restrictions of much greater severity were being lifted.

And we still have a steep hill to climb. At the end of the first quarter of the year our economy had taken the biggest knock of all the G20 economies, in stark contrast to the likes of Korea, Australia, India or Turkey, which had already recovered beyond pre-pandemic levels.

The confident official prediction is that we're in for 7% growth this year which should boost that weak international performance. Let's hope that confidence isn't misplaced.

Miatta Fahnbulleh, chief executive of UK think tank New Economics Foundation, told the BBC the figures were in line with what was expected "which is a big bounce as the restrictions were eased and the economy starts going back to normal".

"But underneath this is probably going to be a story of two halves - the GDP numbers tell us the economy is recovering, but it's likely to be uneven, with the bounceback driven by parts of the economy that have essentially been insulated from the worst parts of the pandemic, and other parts of the economy - those with no work, or small businesses - really, really struggling, particularly as the government starts removing some [support] going into the autumn."

Trade disruptions

Separately, there is continued friction in trade with EU due to post-Brexit restrictions, although less than at the start of the year.

Mr Athow from the ONS said: "Exports of goods have now, broadly, recovered from the disruptions seen at the beginning of the year. However, imports of goods from the EU are still significantly down on 2020 levels".

Compared with three years ago - the last time trade was unaffected by either Covid or concerns of a disruptive Brexit - British goods exports to the EU this April were 7.1% lower and imports from the EU were 15.3% lower.

Exports to the EU were also below their average for 2019.

"That is a disappointing performance, given the boom in global trade flows; UK exporters have lost market share," said Samuel Tombs of Pantheon Macroeconomics.

Total imports of goods excluding precious metals in April rose 3.9% or £1.4bn, while exports fell slightly.-BBC

UK space race investment 'is heating up'

A UK firm that was the world's first dedicated space technology investor is preparing to list fund shares on the London Stock Exchange.

The public will be able to invest in a portfolio of new private space firms through Seraphim Capital's fund.

The news comes amid a public consultation on establishing a UK national space strategy.

The space industry is one of the UK's fastest growing sectors, worth £14.8bn a year.

The government said in March it wants to "make the UK a meaningful actor in space".

"There is a massive global appetite from investors, but the majority of new space companies are still private, from SpaceX downwards, so the public market struggles to invest in the space sector," Mark Boggett, chief executive of British venture capital firm Seraphim Capital told the BBC.

"This is the first time the public will be able to access a portfolio of private space companies," he said.

Seraphim Capital, one of the world's leading investors in space, is transferring all assets from its existing fund into the Seraphim Space Investment Trust.

It is raising £150m to invest both in its existing portfolio of firms and in new space start-ups.

'A digital platform in the sky'

Mr Boggett's view is that space is no longer just about rockets or satellites. "It is about a new digital platform in the sky," he said.

In recent months, there has been increased interest in the satellite industry, with tech firms like SpaceX and London-based OneWeb launching small satellites - known as nanosats - into low Earth orbit.

The plan is to use large constellations of nanosats to enable satellite internet, as well as collecting Earth observation data like weather, heat signatures and atmospheric gas composition to help farmers, for example, and to monitor things like flood defences, traffic and construction sites.

The idea is that nanosats will enable many smaller firms to gain access to space and benefit from space technologies.

"Make no mistake, this is a space industrial revolution," said Will Whitehorn, president of industry group UKSpace and chair of the independent board of the new Seraphim Space Investment Trust.

"The UK space space is heating up and it's also global. The UK needs to be at the forefront if it is going to thrive so that we don't get left behind."

Mr Whitehorn was previously president of Virgin Galactic, which is racing against Blue Origin to be the first company to offer human spaceflights.

Earlier this week, the Amazon founder said he and his brother would be on the first human flight launched by Blue Origin.

Another key topic is the creation of spaceports in the UK, says Mr Whitehorn.

"It will give the country its own sovereign launch capability," he said. "Instead of sending satellites to Russia or French Guiana or the US, we can literally send them down the road to Cornwall."

Daniel Smith is co-chair of the Scottish Space Leadership Council, a body that represents the views of industry, academia and government.

Mr Smith, who welcomes the Seraphim trust share listing announcement, helped to establish the UK Spaceports Alliance working group last year.

The Council's focus is on working with environmental groups to ensure that the UK space industry will grow in a way that supports the government's net-zero carbon emission ambitions.

"Launch is the missing piece of the jigsaw for the UK's vibrant space value chain [and] satellite data brings so many benefits to society and helps to monitor climate change, however the process of reaching orbit must be pursued in a way that contributes to net zero ambitions," he said.

"Our Sustainable Space Challenges initiative has brought together environmental organisations and space stakeholders for the first time to work proactively on ensuring the sector prioritises a sustainable approach."-BBC

Virgin Atlantic explores 'flying taxi' partnership

Virgin Atlantic is exploring whether it could launch a flying taxi service as part of a partnership with Bristol-based Vertical Aerospace.

The airline suggests electric vertical take-off and landing vehicles (eVTOL) could fly from towns to major airports.

Vertical Aerospace is conducting test flights of its aircraft this year.

One expert said the proposal was "less radical" than those of other air taxi companies, but argued there would be challenges ahead.

What is the idea?

Several companies have promoted the idea of autonomous "flying taxis" that could pick passengers up from rooftops in city centres and take them wherever they would like to go.

Virgin Atlantic's suggestion is slightly tamer.

It has proposed that an eVTOL aircraft could pick people up from a city such as Cambridge and fly them to a major airport such as London Heathrow.

Vertical Aerospace says its VA-X4 craft will be able to carry four passengers and a pilot up to 100 miles, as well as being emissions-free and quieter than a helicopter.

In fact the company claims it will be "near silent" when cruising.

It has already partnered with American Airlines and Avalon, an aircraft-leasing company.

Is it feasible?

"There's a lot of hype in this market," Vertical Aerospace president Michael Cervenka told the BBC.

"We have taken the approach that is pushing the bounds of what is available in terms of technology, but not going beyond."

With a 15m (49ft) wingspan, the aircraft would have to fly to and from designated spots such as helipads or regional airports.

As with any other aircraft, the VA-X4 will be subjected to strict safety and regulatory checks.

Dr Guy Gratton, associate professor of aviation and the environment at Cranfield University, said Slovenia's Pipistrel Velis gave a good indication of what a modern electric plane could achieve.

"The Velis will carry two people, half a toothbrush and fly for about an hour-and-a-quarter. That is a conventional plane and thus pretty efficient compared to anything with vertical take-off and landing," he explained.

While the VA-X4 will be quieter than a helicopter, the "rotors and wings would still make noise in forward flight", he added.

Mr Cervenka expects it will sound no louder than a refrigerator from the ground, when cruising overhead.

He said the company's goals could be achieved with today's technology rather than hoping for the invention of a "magical new battery".

But more lavish visuals of air taxis carrying passengers from one skyscraper to another would require new air-traffic control technology, public acceptance of more aircraft in cities, improvements in automation and regulatory change that could be a decade away.

On Thursday, Vertical Aerospace announced plans for the company to be floated on the New York stock exchange after a merger with Broadstone, in a deal valuing the company at $2.2bn (£1.6bn).-BBC

Bid to use criminal cash to refund scam victims

A policy of refunding scam victims using money from criminals' frozen bank accounts would be popular, a survey suggests.

The government is considering a proposal from banks that criminally-obtained funds are used to pay back other victims.

Three-quarters of those asked in the survey said they supported the idea.

But the amount frozen in these accounts would be vastly insufficient to cover the bill.

Pandemic scams

Last month, the BBC revealed data showing that various kinds of scams had surged during the coronavirus pandemic.

Online shopping scams, in which fraudsters posted bogus adverts for pets, cars and caravans, were up.

The YouGov survey of 1,700 people suggested that one in four adults are being bombarded with scam attempts on a daily basis, rising to nearly a third of over-65's.

It also suggested there would be public support for the idea - first proposed by banks - that suspected criminal funds should be used to repay victims, although this would fall far short of the hundreds of millions of pounds needed.

While total fraud in the UK reached £1.26bn last year, the amount in these frozen accounts was last estimated to be £130m.

Romance scams have also risen during the Covid crisis, affecting men and women of all ages.

Consumer group Which? said the true scale of the crime was likely to be much higher as many victims were too embarrassed or upset to tell the authorities.

In a report on economic crime by the government and the banking trade body, UK Finance, published last month, ministers said they were looking into the idea of using seized funds for reimbursement.

"The government is also working with the financial sector to unlock suspected criminal funds held in 'frozen' accounts across the financial sector," the report said.

"We will consider how these funds could be used, including whether suspended funds can be used to reimburse victims of fraud."

The burden of customer refunds when criminals hack into accounts to steal money falls on banks.

A code agreed between them, affecting customers of 19 financial brands, was signed in 2019 to ensure those caught out by so-called push payment fraud are refunded if they have done nothing wrong.

These are scams when victims are tricked into transferring money to a fraudster in the belief they are a legitimate trader or service.

However, banks failed to agree on a scheme designed to create a permanent, central pot of money to use for refunds.

Instead, they decided to pay for these reimbursements individually.-BBC

[...]

China's biggest ride-hailing firm, Didi Chuxing, has filed papers to become a publicly listed company in the US.

The company is backed by some of Asia's largest technology investment firms, including Softbank, Alibaba and Tencent.

The amount of shares to be offered and the pricing were not revealed.

However, the company could raise around $10 billion and seek a valuation of close to $100 billion, sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

That would make it the biggest share offering in the United States by a Chinese company since 2014, when e-commerce giant Alibaba raised $25bn (£15bn).

Didi has a mobile app, where users can hail taxis, privately owned cars, car pool and buses in some cities.

It also has businesses interests in electric vehicle charging networks, fleet management, car making and autonomous driving. It has expanded into 15 countries, but China remains its biggest market.

Didi did reveal slower revenue growth as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic in its filing, 9% lower than the previous year. However, as China opened up, the company has recovered strongly.

Revenue more than doubled between January and March, compared to the same period last year.

Didi already has its fair share of investors. In 2016, US tech giant Apple ploughed $1bn (£800m) into Didi in an unusually large and public investment - thought to be related to Apple's development of autonomous vehicles.

Ride-hailing giant Uber also has a stake - owning 12.8% of shares - after it retreated from China in 2016, selling its ride-hailing business there to Didi.

Courting Wall Street

Didi however, has also had its share of controversies. In its filing, it mentioned two cases that caused a public outcry in China.

In May 2018, A 21-year-old woman was killed in Zhengzhou after using Didi's Hitch service, which pairs up commuters heading in the same direction.

Then in August, a 20-year-old woman was raped and murdered in Wenzhou while using the ride-hailing service.

The founders of Didi called the cases the company's "darkest moment".

The company said that they had suspended the carpooling service for more than a year to improve protection for riders and drivers in the filing.

Didi executives fined over Hitch deaths

Didi is the latest Asian tech giant to court Wall Street for investment.

Earlier this year, Singapore's biggest ride-hailing app Grab struck a $40 billion deal through a special-purpose acquisition company (Spac) to go public in the United States.

Spacs are set up with the purpose of buying a private firm to merge with and then take public on the stock market.

Chinese companies raised $12 billion from US listings last year, more than triple the amount raised in 2019, according to financial market data company Refinitiv.-BBC

Scottish food and drink sector criticise Australia trade deal

Scottish food producers have sent a letter warning UK Trade Secretary Liz Truss about the way trade deals are being negotiated.

The 14 companies and trade bodies have expressed concern about the free trade agreement being developed with Australia.

They say they are disconnected from talks which have been "rushed".

Ms Truss has insisted British farmers have nothing to fear and an "awful lot to gain" from a deal with Australia.

She suggested a 5% whisky tariff may be scrapped in the first agreement drawn up from scratch since the UK left the EU.

In the letter, Scotland's main farming, fishing and processor groups said there was no collaboration between Whitehall and the industry.

They said the deal struck at Christmas with the European Union left firms to face costly consequences, and they warned that could happen again when new deals are "hurried through" with Australia and then other major exporters of farm produce.

Whitehall ministers have sought to reassure producers that there will be safeguards, and new trade deals will open up opportunities to sell exports beyond Europe.

But critics of the proposed agreement fear the zero tariffs, zero quotas deal that the government in Canberra is demanding would see British farmers and businesses undercut by Australian rivals.

'A bad precedent'

Scotland's food and drink sector suggested it could set a bad precedent for future deals.

The letter, with signatories including the chief executives of the National Farmers' Union Scotland, the Scottish Seafood Association and Scotland Food & Drink, said: "We recognise the UK government's desire to move quickly to create new opportunities with nations beyond the EU.

"However we are concerned that the pace of these negotiations, particularly the free trade agreement with Australia, is too quick and denying the opportunity for appropriate scrutiny and consultation.

"Trade deals are complex and markets are sensitive; the impact of the Brexit deal has demonstrated this.

"The risks here are enormous for the whole food and drink supply chain and, in the absence of any formal impact assessment to suggest the contrary, we remain hugely concerned at the impact on sensitive sectors of our industry."

It added: "We welcome an ambitious trade policy if it will open new opportunities for our producers."

It said that the EU market remains the most important export market, with it being the destination of two-thirds of all food exports.

Scotland Food & Drink chief executive James Withers said: "As a food and farming industry we want to be ambitious for global trade. The future of our sector relies on it, and international sales of Scottish food and drink are already worth over £6bn in a normal trading year.

"However, if we rush trade deals through, without any serious scrutiny and no engagement with industry and other experts, we can harm businesses, communities, the environment and the UK's international reputation."

'All voices are heard'

A Department for International Trade spokesman said: "We seek a wide range of views before, during and after negotiations to ensure all voices are heard, and consult widely across the country before we launch talks, including extensive engagement with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

"We will only sign deals that work for all parts of the United Kingdom, including any potential deal with Australia.

"Our Exports Minister was in Scotland last week to champion the benefits of the Australia FTA, highlighting how a tariff reduction would benefit iconic goods like Scotch whisky.

"Any deal we sign will include protections for the agriculture industry and will not undercut UK farmers or compromise our high standards."-BBC

Four directors call for Toshiba shake-up in revolt after explosive probe

Four Toshiba Corp (6502.T) directors called on Friday for a shake-up of its management and board, in a sign of revolt after an investigation found the conglomerate colluded with the Japanese government to "beat up" foreign shareholders.

The very public push-back by the independent directors, all non-Japanese, is the latest twist in a scandal that shows how the old guard of Japan Inc, while still powerful, can no longer exert full control over shareholders.

It comes a day after an explosive, shareholder-commissioned investigation revealed - in startling detail rare for such probes in corporate Japan - how management reached out to the powerful Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) to strong-arm activist investors. read more

The investigation "made clear" that some members of Toshiba's management and board took actions that "were unacceptable and directly against the interests of our shareholders", the four directors, Jerome Black, Paul Brough, Ayako Weissman and George Zage, said in a statement.

Both board and management changes were needed, they said, calling some parts of the report "deeply disturbing".

Toshiba declined to comment. It has yet to comment on the report itself.

The investigators detailed one email among top Toshiba managers about the company's largest shareholder, Singapore-based hedge fund Effissimo Capital Management. In that incident, one executive allegedly said: "We will ask METI to beat them up for a while."

The report, released on Thursday, said that Yoshihide Suga - then chief cabinet secretary and now prime minister - verbally encouraged the pressure on investors during a meeting with a senior Toshiba executive last year, an allegation Suga has denied.

"If we are aggressive, we can get them" with foreign ownership rules, Suga allegedly told the executive, referring to rules introduced in 2020 and designed to protect industries critical to Japan's national security.

Toshiba is of strategic importance to Tokyo as a maker of nuclear reactors and defence equipment.

CRITICAL TURN

The probe's findings mark a critical turn in a long battle between the company's management and foreign shareholders, which include Effissimo, another Singapore-based fund, 3D Investment Partners, and Harvard University's endowment fund.

Japan's trade minister on Friday denied his officials directed an adviser to lean on Toshiba's foreign shareholders to ensure management won a key vote on board membership last year.

The investigators' report said Toshiba, working in unison with the trade ministry, "effectively asked" a government adviser, described as "Mr. M", to negotiate with Harvard University's endowment fund to change its voting behaviour.

"Ministry officials have informed me that it's not true that any request was made to engage with individual investors," Trade Minister Hiroshi Kajiyama told reporters. He added that the ministry was waiting on Toshiba's response to the report.

Sources previously told Reuters that Hiromichi Mizuno, a ministry adviser at the time, had told the Harvard fund it could be subject to a regulatory probe if it did not follow management's recommendations at last year's annual general meeting. The fund subsequently abstained from voting.

Mizuno, a Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) board member who previously oversaw Japan's $1.4 trillion Government Pension Investment Fund, is currently the U.N. Special Envoy on Innovative Finance and Sustainable Investment.

He did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

DEATH KNELL FOR OLD JAPAN

Some activist investors said, however, that the successful push by shareholders for the independent investigation in a landmark vote this year and the report's findings showed progress was being made in Japan corporate governance.

"It's a direct result of Japan trying to really have a world class governance structure. It doesn't mean they're perfect yet," said Brian Heywood, CEO of Taiyo Pacific Partners, an activist fund that has operated in Japan for 20 years.

"All of Japan Inc isn’t rushing to Toshiba's defence," he said, adding that he saw the debacle as a "last gasp" of Japan's trade-ministry controlled capitalism.

U.S. proxy advisory firm Glass Lewis on Friday urged shareholders at this year's AGM to vote against the re-appointment of Toshiba board chairman Osamu Nagayama and four others nominated to the board by the company.

As one of the industrial conglomerates that modernized Japan and helped its post-World War Two economic recovery, Toshiba enjoys close ties with the government. Its nuclear reactors and defence equipment businesses mean it is also closely monitored by industry bureaucrats.

In 2017, however, battered by accounting scandals and massive writedowns on its U.S. nuclear reactor business, Toshiba had to quickly seek a large capital injection from overseas investors. As a result, activist investors are estimated to account for 25% of Toshiba's shareholder base.

Since the push by activist shareholders this year for greater accountability, Toshiba has faced a $20 billion bid from CVC Capital and seen former CEO Nobuaki Kurumatani resign in the ensuing turmoil.

While Toshiba has dismissed that bid, it has announced it will conduct a strategic review.

"Given Toshiba's complete failure of governance and lack of transparency shown by the independent report, we believe radical reform through going private is the only viable option to rejuvenate the company," said an executive at a large Toshiba shareholder, asking not to be identified because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Toshiba's shares closed down 1.6% on Friday compared with a flat broader market.

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Bitcoin law is only latest head-turner by El Salvador's 'millennial' president

The young president of small Central American nation El Salvador leapt to worldwide fame this week after his country became the first in the world to adopt bitcoin as legal tender, but Nayib Bukele is no stranger to controversy.

Cryptocurrency fans across the globe celebrated when his bill was swiftly approved by lawmakers on Wednesday, and when the 39-year-old leader followed up with a plan to mine energy from volcanoes to power the massive data centers needed to mint the digital currency. read more

The move did not escape scrutiny. The International Monetary Fund quickly flagged economic and legal risks to the unprecedented use of bitcoin in the small economy.

>From firing officials via Twitter to entering Congress with heavily armed soldiers, Bukele has tended to ruffle establishment feathers since he became president in 2019.

He swept congressional and local elections in February and enjoys an approval rating of over 90% despite the economy shrinking by 8% last year. His alliance won a historic supermajority, crushing the two parties that had dominated Salvadoran politics for 30 years.

Just weeks before adopting bitcoin brought him a new international spotlight, Bukele fell out with the Biden administration after the new Congress summarily removed the attorney general and top judges from office.

He says all his actions are constitutional and backed by popular mandate.

The top prosecutor had been investigating government officials. Bukele also closed an anticorruption office he himself had opened.

Bukele, who calls himself the "coolest president in the world," recently launched an international surf competition in the country wearing a backwards baseball cap and flanked by a military officer.

His achievements include reducing murder rates in a country that has long grappled with deadly gang violence.

Despite his youth, Bukele is no political neophyte.

When he worked in his father's advertising agency early in his career, his client was the Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front (FMLN), the leftist party then in power.

He joined the party and in 2012 became mayor of Nuevo Cuscatlan, a coffee-growing town near San Salvador. Far from the media spotlight and with few resources, he publicized his work on social media. His reputation for good management helped him garner the support to win office as mayor of the capital in 2015.

In San Salvador, he gained prominence for his social and cultural focus and for donating his salary to scholarships. But two years after taking office, the FMLN expelled him, saying he had sowed division, violated party statutes and attacked a trustee with an apple during a council session.

He has denied the accusations.

DECISIVE

Bukele joined forces with the right-wing Gran Alianza por la Unidad Nacional (GANA) in his campaign for the presidency, which was driven by social media. He has founded a party called New Ideas.

The youngest president in the Americas took office promising to end corruption. He was himself investigated by the Attorney General's office for money laundering, fraud and tax evasion during his terms as mayor. He has denied the allegations.

The rise of his siblings and cousins to public posts or behind-the-scenes advisory roles has also led to complaints of nepotism, which he has denied.

The international community did not pay much attention until the president arrived in Congress early last year to request approval of a $109 million loan to fight crime - accompanied by soldiers in full battle uniform.

"If I were a dictator or someone who does not respect democracy, I would have taken control of the entire government tonight," Bukele told Spanish newspaper El Pais.

During the coronavirus pandemic, Bukele enacted a series of health and economic measures to alleviate the crisis, but ignored Supreme Court rulings against his lockdown measures and has faced rights complaints.

"He uses the press and social media to threaten, intimidate and persecute people who could be adversaries," said Jose Miguel Vivanco, Americas director for Human Rights Watch.

Still, Salvadorans fed up with decades of corruption and ineffectiveness have admired Bukele's confident, decisive style including a penchant for using Twitter to give orders to ministers.

"Nayib does an excellent job, we have never had someone who cared about people's well-being," said taxi driver Eduardo Samayoa, 36.

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

G7 leaders agreed to keep the money taps open -source

Leaders of the Group of Seven rich nations were in broad agreement about the need to continue supporting their economies with fiscal stimulus after the ravages of the COVID-19 pandemic, a source familiar with the discussions said on Friday.

The backing for more stimulus was shared by all leaders including Angela Merkel of Germany which has traditionally opposed heavy borrowing to spur growth, a position it has relaxed in the face of the COVID-19 crisis.

The administration of U.S. President Joe Biden has been pushing its allies to keep on spending with Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen urging her G7 colleagues in February to "go big".

"There was broad consensus across the table on continued support for fiscal expansion at this stage," the source said, adding that Biden, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Italy's Mario Draghi expressed particular support.

The International Monetary Fund has repeatedly urged Group of Seven countries and others to continue fiscal support measures.

The source said the G7 leaders believed there should be long-term policies for ensuring the health of public finances in the future, echoing the position of their finance ministers who met earlier this month in London.

Draghi, president of the European Central Bank from 2011 to 2019, said the rich major Western economies needed some sort of "long-term fiscal anchor" to reassure investors and avoid a rise in market interest rates that could hurt the recovery, the source said.

The leaders believed a post-lockdown rise in inflation in many countries would prove temporary, the source said.

"There was a bit of discussion on inflation but the feeling was that it was temporary," the source said.

G7 leaders stressed the importance of taking action to reduce unemployment such as retraining and offering support for younger workers, a proposal supported by Canada's Justin Trudeau, the source said.

At the opening of the meeting, Johnson said the leaders needed to be careful not to "repeat the mistakes of the last great crisis, the last big economic recession of 2008 when the recovery was not uniform across all part of society."

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Wall St Week Ahead Fed meeting looms for stocks as inflation worries collide with 'Goldilocks' markets

Investors will be zeroing in on the Federal Reserve’s monetary policy meeting next week as a "Goldilocks" market environment that has helped lift stocks to record highs and tamed a bond selloff is tested by rising inflation.

Stocks have climbed steadily in recent weeks and now stand at fresh records, extending a rally that has seen the S&P 500 (.SPX) gain 13% this year and nearly 90% from its March 2020 low. U.S. government bonds have also rallied after their first-quarter selloff, with the benchmark 10-year Treasury yield , which moves inversely to prices, recently at 1.46%, some 30 basis points below its first quarter highs.

Some of those gains have been predicated on the Fed’s assurances that rising inflation will not last long enough to warrant a sooner-than-expected end to easy-money policies. Signals that the Fed is growing less confident in those assumptions could unsettle stocks, which have benefited from quantitative easing, and hurt bonds, as rising prices erode the value of longer-dated debt.

Investors “are going to be looking for signs that the Fed might believe that inflation is more permanent," said Michael Arone, chief investment strategist for State Street Global Advisors.

The Fed has maintained that it has the tools to deal with accelerating inflation. The central bank may open discussion at the Tuesday-Wednesday meeting about when to begin unwinding its $120 billion per month purchases of government bonds, though most analysts don't expect a decision before the Fed's annual Jackson Hole, Wyoming, conference in August. read more

For now, it appears some investors are coming around to the Fed’s way of thinking on inflation. Stocks on Thursday brushed off data showing that consumer prices rose in May at their fastest annual pace in 13 years, as the S&P 500 hit a new record. By contrast, a much higher-than-expected inflation number last month caused a selloff in stocks. read more

Strong inflation numbers aside, recent data has offered snapshots of an economy that is strengthening but does not appear to be close to overheating. Employment, for instance, remains about 7.6 million jobs below its February 2020 peak while the latest monthly report fell short of economists estimates. read more

"We are making progress, but the economy is not completely on fire and a runaway train where the Fed has to take action," said Chris Galipeau, senior market strategist at Putnam Investments. "That puts us in the 'Goldilocks' scenario."

Still, others worry that markets have grown too complacent on inflation and other risks that could derail the current rally, from potential higher taxes to peaking economic growth rates.

Analysts at BofA Global Research on Friday outlined a number of reasons that inflation may be more sustained than many expect, including second-tier indicators such as the National Federation of Independent Businesses survey of small businesses showing price pressures are filtering to customers.

“The list of excuses for transitory inflation is getting long. The risk of higher, more persistent inflation is growing,” BofA’s analysts wrote.

More broadly, bullish sentiment among individual investors has been above its historical average of 38% for 25 of the last 30 weeks, according to the American Association of Individual Investors. Bearish sentiment, meanwhile, is below its historical average of 30.5% for the 18th consecutive week.

“At current levels, pessimism remains unusually low,” the AAII said on its website. “Historically, below-average readings for bearish sentiment have been followed by below-average six- and 12-month returns for the S&P 500 index.”

Bulls can point to plenty of reasons for stocks to remain strong. Most investors believe the Fed will only start tapering its bond purchases in late 2021 or early next year. Bets in the eurodollar futures markets show investors believe the Fed will start hiking its benchmark rate in late 2022.

Rising estimates for corporate profit growth are also supporting stocks. S&P 500 earnings are now expected to jump 36% this year, compared to an April estimate of 26% growth, with earnings expected to rise another roughly 12% in 2022, according to Refinitiv IBES.

That has not stopped some of the world’s biggest banks, including Morgan Stanley, from warning in recent months that the market is primed for a sharp pullback. read more

Matthew Miskin, co-chief investment strategist at John Hancock Investment Management, still favors stocks over bonds, with a preference for the healthcare, industrials, technology and communication services sectors.

"We are due for some volatility and we have been saying that, and yet dips have been met with very strong demand," he said.

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Exxon losing veteran oil traders recruited during past expansion -sources

Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) has lost two veteran crude oil traders from its U.S. energy trading group and a third is leaving its British unit, according to people familiar with the matter, in a continued exodus of top talent from the oil major.

Exxon last year reversed course on an expansion of its oil and petroleum products trading as fuel demand tumbled during the pandemic. The company suffered a $22.4 billion loss in 2020, leading to deep job and cost cuts across the business.

Veteran oil traders Michael Paradise and Adam Buller, both of whom joined Exxon in 2019 after lengthy careers elsewhere, resigned last week, the people said. Paul Butcher, an oil trader in Britain, plans to leave in September, another person familiar with the operation said.

Butcher was recruited in 2018 as a North Sea crude oil trader and adviser on accounting for transactions to its Leatherhead unit near London. He had previously worked for BP Plc (BP.L), Glencore Plc (GLEN.L) and Vitol SA (VITOLV.UL).

Exxon declined to comment on the departures, citing personnel matters.

"We’re pleased with our progress over the past couple of years to grow our team and capabilities," said spokesman Casey Norton. Exxon's scale and reach "give our trading teams a broad footprint and unique knowledge and insights" that can generate value for shareholders.

VETERAN DEPARTURES

Paradise was a highly regarded crude oil trader who joined Exxon from Noble Group (NOBG.SI) and was previously director of crude oil trading at Citigroup Inc (C.N) and BNP Paribas (BNPP.PA). Buller joined Exxon in late 2019 after trading oil for Petrolama Energy Canada and Spain's Repsol SA (REP.MC). He earlier was director of international oil trading at BG Group.

Both will join Pilot Flying J, a closely-held Knoxville, Tennessee, company that operates retail refueling centers in North America. It has expanded into crude marketing, fuel transportation and storage and has is own trading unit run by a former Noble Group executive.

A spokesperson at Pilot Flying J declined to comment.

Exxon recruited Paradise, Buller and a cadre of experienced traders from rivals and international oil trading firms hoping to replicate BP and Royal Dutch Shell's(RDSa.L)success in trading. It initially saw the expansion as a way to profit from its knowledge of customer demand, oil production, pipelines and fuel shipping.

BP and Shell's trading groups took advantage of last year's market volatility to generate enormous trading profits, buying oil as it fell below $20 a barrel last spring. They sold it at higher prices for future delivery, posting multibillion-dollar profits for the year. read more

But Exxon pulled back trading as the market dropped and sought to preserve its capital to sustain its shareholder dividend while rivals cut their payouts.

Exxon systematically avoided risk by pulling most of the capital needed for speculative trades, subjecting most trades to high-level management review, and limiting some traders to working only with longtime Exxon customers.

It later laid off some staff and offered early retirement packages to others, Reuters reported. Exxon does not separately report the performance of its trading unit. read more

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

Blog:            <https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/> www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

Facebook:      <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FBullsBearsZimbabwe&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGhb_A5rp4biV1dGHbgiAhUxQqBXA> www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe

Date & Time

Companies under Cautionary

ART

PPC

Dairibord

Starafrica

Fidelity

Turnall

Medtech

Zimre

Nampak Zimbabwe

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2021 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email:  <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell: +263 77 344 1674