Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 12 February 2022

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Sat Feb 12 07:28:28 CAT 2022

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/> Bullish
Thoughts        <http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 12 February 2022

 <https://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

ü  The challenges of running a business in Ukraine's second city

ü  UK economy rebounds with fastest growth since WW2

ü  Cost of pasta and tinned tomatoes jumps as shop prices rise

ü  3,000 NYC staff face lost jobs over vaccine rules

ü  Business fires up the back-up generator as costs rise

ü  Cost of pasta and tinned tomatoes jumps as shop prices rise

ü  Billionaire Soros buys stake in EV startup Rivian

ü  U.S. posts $119 billion budget surplus in January; first in over 2 years

ü  Apple to turn iPhones into payment terminals in fintech push

ü  Walmart no longer requires masks for vaccinated U.S. workers

ü  Shell CEO sells $5.2 million of shares

ü  New Rio Tinto chairman to weigh CEO's future amid toxic culture crisis -
sources

ü  NFT marketplace shuts, citing 'rampant' fakes, plagiarism problem

ü  Wall St Week Ahead Crypto investors face more uncertainty after rocky
start to 2022

ü  Apple raises pay of many U.S. retail employees - Bloomberg News

ü  U.S. poultry producers harden safety measures as bird flu spreads

ü  Finland seals deal for U.S. F-35 stealth jets, reflecting tight ties to
NATO

ü  Oil soars 3% to 7-yr highs on Ukraine jitters, tight supplies

ü  Ford reconsiders India after halting production, this time for EVs

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

The challenges of running a business in Ukraine's second city

What happens when your country faces invasion, and you just want to get on
with running your business?

In Ukraine, there is a distinct sense of déjà vu for people running small
and medium-sized businesses over the situation they now find themselves in.

Particularly in Ukraine's second city, Kharkiv, located just 26 miles (46km)
from the border. Over 100,000 Russian troops are gathered at several
strategic points along the border but Russia denies it is planning an
attack.

Most Kharkiv entrepreneurs clearly remember the huge task they faced to
reinvent themselves after the armed conflict in eastern Ukraine began back
in 2014.

"Our clients are very concerned," says Roman Shekin, chief operating officer
of the software company Zfort, in Kharkiv.

"What we're trying to tell them is, we're ready for any unexpected stuff,
because we've been at war for a few years already."

In 2014, Russia seized then annexed Crimea, and fighting broke out in the
Donbas region of eastern Ukraine, parts of which are now controlled by
Russian-backed separatists.

Over the space of a few months, businesses in Ukraine lost the vast majority
of their customers and suppliers in Russia. Overnight, the conflict cut off
old, established cross-border ties. Many companies collapsed and many more
had to start again from scratch.

For many it feels like their hard work to rebuild is about to be undone.

Zfort is one of thousands of Ukrainian IT companies that have flourished
since 2014, creating apps and websites for clients in the US and Western
Europe. Mr Shekin is trying to reassure his worried clients but some, he
says, have put contracts on hold, waiting for more clarity.

He hopes to put their minds at ease by explaining Zfort's contingency plans.
"All our infrastructure is cloud-based and hosted on European server. We can
continue operations even if something happens to our offices here
 our
employees would just move to a safe place and connect remotely."

But for Kharkiv's traditional heavy industry, setting up remotely on a
laptop is not an option.

Right in the centre of the city is the Kharkiv State Aircraft Manufacturer,
where the flagship Antonov aircraft, was produced.

But no aircraft have been built here for eight years, because 70% of the
components needed came from Russia. The firm is now $170m in debt, and has
been trying to attract foreign investors to save it from bankruptcy.

Managing director, Oleksandr Kryvokon says any interest he has had from
Western countries has dried-up. But since this latest ramping up of pressure
from Russia at the border, he sees a potential opportunity.

Mr Kryvokon wants Ukrainian companies to collaborate with him on producing
aircraft to defend their homeland. "Many factories started thinking, if
there's a conflict what are we going to do to help Ukraine?" he says.

Across town is the huge market of Barabashovo. Pitching-in to shore up
Ukraine's defence is a big theme for entrepreneurs here too.

It is the biggest market in eastern Europe, with 15,000 shops and 60,000
employees. One of them is Viktor Kuzmenko, who sells heating systems to the
building trade.

When the conflict with Russia began in 2014, Mr Kuzmenko lost 70% of his
business in a few short months - including almost all his loyal customers in
Russia.

He just about managed to keep his business going, mostly through online
sales.

January is usually pretty slow, but this past month he has made a loss. "I
depend on people with big money, who are ready to invest in construction,
and nobody's going to invest in building in a place where there's even the
tiniest threat to it," he says.

Like many of his fellow entrepreneurs, Mr Kuzmenko has dug into his savings
to support Ukrainian troops on the frontline. "My country's going through a
particularly tense time, I couldn't stand on the sidelines," he says. With
the money they raise, they buy tinned food, socks, and soap which are sent
to the troops.

Mr Kuzmenko and many other business owners are mostly resigned to the threat
their country faces and there's a sense of business as usual, according to
Peter Dickinson, the publisher of Business Ukraine magazine.

"One of the key [Russian] narratives is that Ukraine is a failure - a
chaotic, lawless, dysfunctional place - so, obviously damaging the economy
is a big part of that [strategy]," he explains.

The knock-on effect of that is withdrawal of Western investment. "It makes
Ukraine toxic," he adds, "because Ukraine becomes high risk all of a
sudden."

Orysia Lutsevych, Head of the Ukraine Forum at Chatham House agrees there is
a deliberate strategy to undermine Ukraine's modernisation
. "Russia will
do everything to have Ukraine be this grey, buffer zone, where Russia will
take over while the West will be too risk averse to engage with Ukraine."

Ms Lutsevych, says Ukraine needs external economic support to sustain its
economy, and particularly to help small and medium sized business. This
could come, she says, from places like the International Monetary Fund, the
European Investment Bank, or the European Bank for Reconstruction and
Development. She wants to see the creation of "new [financial] instruments
to support small and medium businesses because they are taking the highest
toll of the suffering, on top of Covid"

"Ukrainians have done remarkably well over the last eight years to rebuild
the economy from the shocks of 2014, when the war began. This is a blow to
them and quite deliberately so," says Mr Dickinson.

Others are hopeful that there will be a period of regeneration eventually,
particularly for industries like design and engineering - mirroring the
years that followed 2014. "After periods of crisis it's creative and new
industries that flourish," says Dr Olga Onuch, associate professor in
Politics, University of Manchester.

But for now, back at Zfort, Roman Shekin is hopeful the situation can be
resolved soon. For now, he's telling his clients to hold their nerve.

He is also looking to the future: "We'll probably set up offices outside
Ukraine in countries like Poland or Slovakia. We have to show our clients we
can keep their projects safe and secure, no matter what."-BBC

UK economy rebounds with fastest growth since WW2

The UK economy rebounded last year with growth of 7.5% despite falling back
in December due to Omicron restrictions, official figures show.

It was the fastest pace of growth since 1941, although it came after a
dramatic 9.4% collapse in 2020 as the pandemic forced parts of the economy
to shut.

In December, the economy shrank 0.2% as Omicron restrictions hit the
hospitality and retail sectors.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak said the economy had been "remarkably resilient".

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures showed that in the last
three months of 2021 growth was 1%, which ONS director of economic
statistics Darren Morgan said was "pretty healthy" given Omicron's spread
and the introduction of some restrictions.

GDP graph.

The figures were stronger than expected, and Mr Morgan told the BBC the
expansion in 2021 showed the UK was the fastest growing economy in the G7
group of nations. However, he urged caution about making strict comparisons.

"The growth in 2021 comes from a low base in 2020, when the economy fell
sharply," Mr Morgan said. "And if you look at where the UK economy is now,
compared to its pre-pandemic level... the UK is middle of the pack, compared
with the G7."

He said using this comparison, the US, Canadian and French economies were
above the UK's, while the UK was above Italy, Germany and Japan.

The worst of the overall pandemic economic hit is now behind us but the
aftershocks remain.

Downing Street is unlikely to avoid the opportunity to boast about 2021.
During its hosting of the G7, the UK is now confirmed as the fastest growing
economy of these major nations.

But that comparison needs a great dollop of context.

The 7.5% growth the UK economy recorded in 2021 is the highest of the G7
major economies and that does indicate a strong bounceback.

This, as the ONS points to, should be seen alongside the sharpest fall of
9.4% for the UK compared to those same economies in 2020. On the
internationally comparable basis, the economy is still slightly smaller than
it was at the end of December 2019, unlike the US, France and Canada. On the
slightly more timely basis, using monthly data not available in other
countries, the UK economy is larger than it was in February 2020.

The UK economy grew by 1% in the final quarter of 2021, a little lower than
expectations, as the spread of the Omicron variant weighed on the economy in
December.

But as ever during these extraordinary times, this already looks like a rear
view mirror on events. Looking forward, the extraordinary cost of living
squeeze, with energy and other prices leading to falls in average living
standards, is the significant iceberg for the economy in 2022.

The ONS said that despite the fall in December, on a monthly basis GDP was
in line with its pre-coronavirus level in February 2020.

However, GDP in the October-to-December quarter remains 0.4% below its
pre-Covid levels in the final three months of 2019.

Mr Sunak told the BBC: "Today's figures show that despite Omicron the
economy was remarkably resilient. We were the fastest growing economy in the
G7 last year and are forecast to continue being the fastest growing economy
this year.

"But I know that people are worried about rising prices, particularly energy
bills... and that's why last week we announced a significant package of
support to help millions of families meet the cost of bills."

Last year's growth was the strongest since ONS records began in 1948 and the
fastest since 1941, during World War Two, using data collected by the Bank
of England.

The slump of 9.4% in 2020 was the biggest drop since 1919 when there was
demobilisation after World War One.

After 18 months of uncertainty, Ollie Vaulkhard's coffee shop and restaurant
chain in north east England was seeing a strong end to 2021.

He told the BBC's Wake up to Money programme that October and November were
great months for the Vaulkhard Group as the economy opened up, but then
things started to slow when Omicron hit.

"We lost customers, we lost staff to isolation and we had people being
cautious because they had plans for Christmas."

He doesn't regard December as a disaster, more a loss of momentum. "We lost
the fizz off the top of a glass of champagne," he said.

A better December would have been a good launch into 2022, when Mr Vaulkhard
expects some tough times.

"We have wage cost rises, we have supply cost rises, we've had some brewery
costs going up by 7% - they are all large," he said.

The pandemic and lockdown kept a lid on costs for two years, but suddenly
it's changing.

"I would prefer not to have them [price rises], but given the challenges we
had this seems like another bridge to cross that we'll have to find a way
over."

The economy is expected to face headwinds in 2022. Last week, the Bank of
England raised interest rates, cut its economic growth forecast from 5% to
3.75% for this year and predicted that households were about to suffer the
sharpest fall in living standards since records began three decades ago.

This, said Labour's shadow chief secretary to the Treasury, Pat McFadden,
would mean the economy will "crawl" this year and see the slowest growth of
any G7 country.

"The reality is the way the government runs our economy is trapping us in a
high tax, low growth cycle," he said.

Inflation is forecast to hit 7% in April, the same month workers and firms
will start to see a rise in their National Insurance (NI) contributions. Mr
Sunak has been under pressure to scrap the NI increase, but vowed this month
that it would go ahead.

Thomas Pugh, an economist at RSM UK, said he expected output lost during
December and January to be regained in February and March, "meaning that
Omicron should not have had a lasting impact on the economy".

But he warned that consumer spending power would take a big hit in 2002.

Suren Thiru, head of economics at the British Chamber of Commerce, said that
"crippling" inflation, tax rises in April, and higher energy bills means
"the UK economy is facing a materially weaker 2022".-BBC

Cost of pasta and tinned tomatoes jumps as shop prices rise

The price of pasta, tinned tomatoes and strawberry jam jumped last year as
the cost of supermarket staples rose, new figures for the BBC suggest.

Overall, the price of a basket filled with 15 standard food items rose by
£1.32, or 8%, in just one year.

Changes in the average cost of the food items at Asda, Morrisons,
Sainsbury's and Tesco were tracked by retail research firm Assosia.

Some items fell in price, with carrots and mild cheddar seeing small
declines.

The same basket of food made up of items from the cheaper "value" ranges at
the supermarkets recorded an overall fall in price, down 45p, or 4%. But
within that, items such as pasta and vanilla ice cream saw rises of more
than 6%.

Other items the firm tracked in the new research for BBC News included
tortilla chips, fish fingers, honey, blueberries, carrots and lemons.

Although official figures suggest that the overall cost of living increased
by 5.4% in the year to December, this number - known as the inflation rate -
can mask some steep rises seen at the tills, especially on everyday items.

There are many factors that can make it difficult to track how prices are
changing for households, such as promotions at supermarkets or a lack of
availability of certain products.

Asda, for example, recently pledged to stock its budget ranges in all of its
581 supermarkets and online after complaints from anti-poverty campaigner
Jack Monroe.

"Looking at food prices is a bit of a minefield", says Kay Staniland,
director at Assosia. Her company selected a snapshot of popular products
that were comparable across the value and standard ranges.

"I think the figures show that retailers are trying to avoid the biggest
increases to value lines as much as possible. But these value lines do make
up a small part of total ranges. The standard mid-tier range is where the
largest volume of sales come from," she says.

food prices

Adam Leyland, editor of The Grocer magazine, also tracks a weekly basket of
goods and how prices differ across the supermarket aisles. He says "we're
now in a 'once in a generation' moment for food inflation in the UK".

"We've not seen anything like this since the financial crash in 2008. And
this is just the start. It's going to go on for two or two and a half years,
probably as various costs and problems filter through into the system."

Inflation is everywhere in the food supply chain, he says, from rising
energy and labour costs to raw materials and packaging.

The supermarkets are now grappling with how much of these costs to pass on.

"The food market is incredibly competitive and if you put your prices up
ahead of the competition, the shopper will notice. Right now, more than
ever, price is the major focus for the shopper. And they will vote with
their feet," he says.

'We've completely changed how we shop'

Shoppers such as Fernanda Almeida have already been feeling the pinch,
though.

She lives with her partner in Worcester and the pair used to purchase
ready-meals, or pots of instant porridge, which he could take along to his
military barracks where cooking space is limited.

But after the shopping bill went up by about £20 a week, they introduced
some changes.

"Our shopping has changed completely... we're definitely cooking from
scratch a lot more now because it just works out cheaper," Fernanda says.

She says she feels "worried". "I've gone from someone who has a budget per
month but goes to the shop without a list, picks up things that I fancy
eating, to planning each meal, checking items off against the list."

She's noticed that tinned items in particular have gone up in price and it
can often be cheaper to buy individual items for recipes in larger
supermarkets, even in comparison with discount stores like Aldi or Lidl.

Vimbai Gwata-St John in Bexley has seen her food shop go up by about £20 a
week, too.

As a mum to an 18-week-old baby with food intolerances she has had to chop
and change what they are buying from week to week.

She says she used to follow a budget strictly until she became ill during
her pregnancy.

"Because of that, we didn't have time or ability to track our expenses, we
just bought what we needed out of desperation because of the other problems
at that point in our lives."

Now she is trying to get the budget back on track and is looking at
couponing or starting to buy items such as toilet paper or nappies in bulk.

Although prices are going up across the board, she says: "The one thing you
can't compromise on is food."

How supermarkets manage their own inflationary pressures will have
consequences for millions of households. And the least well-off, which spend
a bigger share of income on essentials such as food and energy, are less
able to absorb soaring prices in the aisles.

The big four supermarket chains have learned from the mistakes they made in
2008, when they put prices up. Aldi and Lidl swooped, stealing customers and
market share. Their businesses have since doubled in size and are still
opening new stores.

"It's a real dog-eat-dog situation," says Adam Leyland.

"The battleground is value. And they are determined to stop them (the
discounters) making further grounds. For instance, Tesco and Sainsbury's are
price-matching Aldi.

Cost cutting, shrinkflation - reducing the size of a product but not the
price - and cutting back on expensive ingredients are just some of the
tactics that retailers are using to mitigate the rising cost of groceries.
But the trend is clear.

Assosia recorded more than 17,000 price increases across the main
supermarkets last month, more than double the number in the same month last
year, and across every category.

"Inflation is everywhere" says Mr Leyland. And he agrees with the recent
warning from John Allan, the chairman of Tesco, that the worst is yet to
come.-BBC

3,000 NYC staff face lost jobs over vaccine rules

Roughly 3,000 teachers, firefighters and other New York City workers face
losing their jobs Friday after failing to get vaccinated against coronavirus
by the city's deadline.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams said he would not change the rules, despite
the city facing many days of protests since his predecessor announced the
policy last year.

More than 95% of staff have complied.

Opponents say the requirements violate their freedom.

More protests are planned for Friday and opponents have filed numerous legal
challenges, arguing, for example, that the rules violate protections against
the free practice of religion.

But though the US Supreme Court last month struck down a national policy
requiring vaccination or weekly tests for staff of large businesses, it has
declined to take a stance against more localised requirements.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams told a news conference it was not that the
city was firing employees, but that "people are quitting".

Many of the 3,000 unvaccinated have been on unpaid leave since the mandate
went into effect last autumn. Roughly 1,000 other employees, who were hired
after the mandate was announced and had agreed to get the jabs, risk losing
their positions Friday if they fail to submit proof of vaccination.

New York City - the epicentre of the pandemic when it first struck in 2020 -
is not alone among US cities in insisting that public employees get the
jabs, which experts say is the safest way to protect against infection.

San Francisco, Boston and Chicago are among the cities and states that have
implemented similar rules, which typically allow staff to seek exemptions.

Many health workers also face the mandates as a result of state or national
rules, while some large employers have also moved forward with mandates.

More than 85% of adults in New York City are fully vaccinated - compared to
about 75% nationally - and more than half of eligible children.

But there are pockets of resistance. Roughly 13,000 people applied for
exemptions from New York City's rules. The city has processed about half of
those requests.

Former elementary school teacher Bonnie Skala Kiladitis, who has taught in
Queens since 1993 and sits on the steering committee of the Teachers for
Choice activist group, said she had applied four times on religious grounds,
believing it should be her choice.

She said she's heard nothing about her employment status as of yet, but
she's not optimistic.

"It's been a tough call but I'm absolutely confident in the decisions I
made," the mother of two, 49, told the BBC. "You don't force people to do
this."

"If it means I'm no longer going to be a teacher ... with sadness, so be it.
I can't go against what I believe in," she said. "I have no intention of
quitting. The DOE [Department of Education] is going to have to fire
me."-BBC

Business fires up the back-up generator as costs rise

Soaring energy costs are hitting businesses as hard as they're looming for
households, making even diesel generators a more attractive option than
buying power from the grid.

Other costs are crowding in; raw materials, packaging, recruitment and
retention, insurance, shipping, haulage, and payroll tax is soon to rise for
both employers and employees.

More than three-quarters of businesses are putting up prices more than they
normally would, or they expect to. And they face the added threat of
consumer spending being pulled back as household budgets are soaked up by
rising heating and fuel bills.

Imagine you've just bought 68 new buses, powered by electric battery. Helped
by a wadge of public cash, you wire up your bus depots with chargers.

Then the price of electricity goes through the roof, and it turns out that
the best business option is to fire them up with power from a diesel-fuelled
generator.

It's not quite the clean, green future of public transport that we were sold
last year at COP26, as big government grants went into renewing bus fleets
with batteries.

But that's how energy prices are up-ending parts of the economy.

The scenario of battery buses powered, albeit indirectly, by dirty diesel
has been briefly explored by the chief executive of McGill's Buses.

Ralph Roberts tweeted that the procurement team at the Inverclyde-based bus
operator had run the numbers on the £624,000 increase in its energy bill.

"They are advising that we charge our zero emission buses by diesel
generators," he wrote.

Three emojis followed, the latter showing an exploding head.

He subsequently clarified this was "to draw attention to the impact that the
electricity price rises are about to have".

"We are NOT suggesting that we actually would use diesel to charge electric
buses, except in emergencies," he added.

'Over the precipice'

For other businesses, the cost of power is already biting. While most
businesses lock in prices for at least a year at a time, and often in
September, the owner of one food processing firm has told me that he is
trialling use of his emergency back-up generator, to see if that will come
in cheaper than using the grid supply.

He explains that he had budgeted for a 62% increase, as indicated by his
supplier. But last week, it said the 62% renewal deal was off the table, and
it would instead be an increase of 125%, with the contract lasting six
months.

And if he didn't like that, moving onto the variable rate would start at
more than 300% above his previous contract.

"That's extortion," he said. "Except even the Sopranos wouldn't do that.
They knew it was in their interests to keep businesses open."

He has kept his sense of humour, but only just, saying many such companies
are "looking over the precipice".

He prefers to keep his company's brand out of the media on this subject, for
fear of spooking suppliers, customers and trade credit.

But unlike McGill's, he is serious about shifting to a diesel-powered
generator, even if it goes against the drive to cut emissions.

He is also looking at the possibility of moving to night shifts, if his
power bill for night-time work can be cheaper than daytime.

Against the grain

The pressure on business from soaring bills for oil, gas and electricity is
closely aligned with rising prices for households.

Companies are seeing sharp increases in raw materials, when they can get
them. A survey out this week from the Fraser of Allander economics institute
showed two thirds of manufacturers are struggling to get the materials they
require.

Partly, that is down to increased transport costs. A shipping container from
China to Europe went up in price last year by an average of around
seven-fold. That disruption is far from over, and prices remain elevated.

Haulage within Britain and from the EU was also sharply up, due to the
shortage of drivers.

Labour costs are up. According to a regular Royal Bank of Scotland survey of
recruitment consultants, starting pay for new recruits hit record levels in
November, and last month's just below that.

An Easter Ross farmer I interviewed last week, Ewan Macdonald, said farm
labour wages are up by about 50% - partly due to Brexit, and the difficulty
of recruiting workers when they can't be brought from European Union
countries.

He pointed to a sharp increase in the cost of agricultural machinery, and in
red diesel to run it, while fertiliser costs are closely aligned with the
cost of gas required to make it. He is looking at fertiliser up at least
50%, and says these costs will have to be passed on.

Farm prices are not set by farmers, but by markets. If the price doesn't
cover costs, Macdonald says there will be less grain sown or less fertiliser
used. Either way, that curtails supply later this year, putting further
upward pressure on prices.

James Withers, chief executive of trade body Food and Drink Scotland, adds
insurance costs to the bill, pushed up by the increased risks businesses
face with Covid, as insurers try to cover themselves against the
consequences of renewed restrictions to trade.

And an index of packaging costs, across all sectors, is running at more than
30% up on last year, having peaked above 60% during last year.

In sectors which have benefited from temporary tax cuts, those are being
unwound, including VAT on hospitality returning to 20%, from 12.5% since
October, and 5% before then. Business rates reductions for the most
Covid-hit sectors are removed later in the year.

Upstream oil

The regular Allander monitor, covering more than 400 Scottish firm and
working with legal firm Addleshaw Goddard, found 80% of companies were
expecting to raise prices more than usual, and 20% will cut back production
because of rising costs.

In December and January, 80% were struggling to recruit staff, while quarter
were finding it difficult to retain workers. Nearly half expected weak or
very weak growth this year - although at the time of the survey, the Omicron
variant of Covid-19 may have cast a longer shadow than it does now.

That was reinforced on Thursday, when a survey of 1,000 British Chambers of
Commerce members showed 73% of firms were already putting up prices, in
response to pressures that have been building for some months.

Fuel was a big issue for more than 60% of them, and wages for a similar
share, while 90% of manufacturers said raw material costs were rising. One
in twenty were thinking they may stop trading.

Looming in little more than six weeks is a hike in National Insurance
Contributions (NICs). That can seem stealthy, in that not that many people
understand it. But it's hitting employment twice.-BBC

[...]

(Reuters) - Billionaire investor George Soros bought nearly 20 million
shares of electric truck startup Rivian Automotive Inc (RIVN.O) in the
quarter ended Dec. 31, securities filings showed Friday.

The 19,835,761 shares, worth about $2 billion at the time, makes Soros Fund
Management among the most prominent investors in a company that has yet to
produce a consumer vehicle. Rivian, which is 20% owned by Amazon.com Inc ,
is expected to provide the e-commerce company with more than 100,000
electric trucks.

Irvine, California-based Riviansaid in December it expected production to
fall "a few hundred vehicles short" of its 2021 target of 1,200 due to
supply chain constraints, highlighting the likely challenges in ramping up
production to take on EV leader Tesla Inc (TSLA.O).

Shares of Rivian fell 9% Friday and are down 43% for the year to date. The
stock price is down 67% from the high of $179.46 it touched on Nov. 16, less
than a week after it raised $12 billion in the largest stock debut of 2021.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

U.S. posts $119 billion budget surplus in January; first in over 2 years

(Reuters) - The U.S. government posted a $119 billion budget surplus in
January, the first in more than two years, amid strong growth in tax
receipts and a sharp drop in pandemic-related outlays, the Treasury
Department said on Thursday.

The January surplus compared to a January 2021 deficit of $163 billion, a
record for the month asdirect payments to individuals from COVID-19 aid
legislation enacted in December 2020 were distributed.

The surplus last month was the first since the $83 billion reported in
September 2019 and the largest since the $160 billion in April 2019. April
and September are traditionally months with high tax collections.

The January receipts grew by 21% to $465 billion, boosted by a 21% jump in
individual withheld income and payroll taxes that reflected higher
employment and earnings due to the economic recovery.

January outlays fell 37% to $346 billion, partly as they did not include
$142 billion in individual stimulus payments sent in January 2021.

The surplus for the month also was helped by the recognition of $70 billion
in proceeds from a wireless spectrum auction, a U.S. Treasury official said.

For the first four months of the 2022 fiscal year that started Oct. 1, the
Treasury reported a deficit of $259 billion, a 65% decline from the
year-earlier deficit of $736 billion. Year-to-date receipts grew 28% to
$1.52 trillion, while outlays for the period fell 8% to $1.78 trillion.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Apple to turn iPhones into payment terminals in fintech push

(Reuters) - Apple Inc (AAPL.O) is introducing a new feature that will allow
businesses to accept credit card and digital payments with just a tap on
their iPhones, bypassing hardware systems such as Block Inc's (SQ.N) Square
terminals.

The feature, to be launched later this year, will use near field
communications (NFC) technology for making all kinds of payments, including
between iPhones, Apple said on Tuesday. The tech giant added that it would
not know what was being purchased or who was buying it, stressing on the
services privacy feature.

Fintech services Stripe and Shopify Point will be the first to offer the
"Tap to Pay" feature to business customers in the spring of 2022 in the
United States, the company said in a statement.

"Whether you're a salesperson at an internet-first retailer or an individual
entrepreneur, you can soon accept contactless payments on a device that's
already in your pocket: your iPhone," said Billy Alvarado, Stripe's chief
business officer.

Apple has been beefing up its fintech services. It launched its own credit
card with Goldman Sachs (GS.N) in 2019 and is reportedly working on a "buy
now, pay later" service.

"Apple views payments as an important standalone business for the company
and they are looking to leverage it," said Shannon Cross, analyst at Cross
Research.

"Them venturing into contactless payments is an indication on how important
payments are as a business for the company."

Shares of Block fell 1.2% in early trading on Thursday, while those of Apple
were little changed.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Walmart no longer requires masks for vaccinated U.S. workers

(Reuters) - Walmart Inc (WMT.N) informed staff on Friday that fully
vaccinated workers in the United States will no longer be required to wear
masks in the company's facilities, effective immediately, unless required by
a state or local mandate.

The retailer, in an internal memo, added that workers who work in clinical
care settings like health clinics and pharmacies, with direct customer
contact, will be required to wear masks, regardless of vaccination status.

The company also said that except for workers in California, New York and
Virginia, a daily health screening will no longer be required either as of
the end of this month.

Walmart's move comes after Amazon.com Inc said on Thursday that fully
vaccinated operations staff at its U.S. warehouses could work without a mask
starting Friday as local regulations allow. read more

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Shell CEO sells $5.2 million of shares

(Reuters) - Shell (SHEL.L) Chief Executive Officer Ben van Beurden on Feb. 7
sold 3.9 million pounds ($5.2 million) worth of the energy company's shares,
a company filing showed.

The 190,000 shares were sold at an average prices of 20.40 pounds per share,
a day before they hit their highest level since January 2020 at 20.80
pounds. The sale totalled 3.876 million pounds, according to the filing.

Shell shares traded at around 20.25 pounds at 1035 GMT on Thursday. Shell's
market capitalisation is around 155 billion pounds ($210 billion).

A Shell spokesperson said van Beurden's decision to sell was "a private
matter".

Van Beurden, who has led Shell since 2014, said last Thursday that "I still
believe that our shares are undervalued," after the company reported bumper
profits of $19.3 billion in 2021 on the back of high oil and gas prices. It
also boosted its dividend and share repurchases. read more

($1 = 0.7369 pounds)

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

New Rio Tinto chairman to weigh CEO's future amid toxic culture crisis -
sources

(Reuters) - The incoming chairman of Rio Tinto will review the position of
CEO Jakob Stausholm to determine whether he is suitable to lead an overhaul
of the company's toxic work culture, two people familiar with the matter
said.

Dominic Barton, a former diplomat who takes up the role of chairman in May,
could remove Stausholm if he decides Rio would be better served by a leader
who was not in the upper echelons of the organisation in recent years, the
sources told Reuters.

It was Stausholm who commissioned an external report, released by Rio on
Jan. 31, that shone a light on a company culture rife with sexual
harassment, racism and bullying over the past five years, including 21
allegations of rape, attempted rape or sexual assault. The report, which was
based on the experiences and views of more than 10,000 employees, did not
ascribe individual blame to any executive or worker.

Rio Tinto declined to comment further on the culture of bullying and on
whether the board has confidence in Stausholm and the company's management.
It referred queries back to a Reuters interview with Stausholm on Feb. 1,
shortly after the report was released. Rio said Barton, who joins the board
in April, was not available to comment.

"What we are saying today, very loud and clear, is what constitutes
acceptable and not acceptable behaviour and we will not tolerate
non-acceptable behaviour and we will deal with that," the CEO said at the
time.

"In a way that's kind of the easier part. The more difficult part is to
address the root causes," said Stausholm, adding that he would push for
change "now I know what I know".

Stausholm didn't respond to an emailed request for comment.

Rio Tinto won praise from many investors for publishing the damning 85-page
report by former Australian sex discrimination commissioner Elizabeth
Broderick, and pledging to implement all 26 recommendations, including
creating an independent confidential unit to address reports of harmful
behaviour.

The two sources, who declined to be named due to the sensitivity of the
matter, said Barton had not yet made a judgment on Stausholm's position.

Barton will weigh whether the fact Stausholm has held senior management
roles since 2018 - during some of the time covered by the report - made him
unsuitable to lead a clean-up of the company's culture, according to the
people. The CEO previously served as Rio Tinto's chief financial officer and
executive director.

"I don't think you can say the culture came from him (Stausholm) in any way,
shape or form," said Ian Woodley, senior mining analyst at Old Mutual
Investment Group, an investor in Rio Tinto. "If anything I think it probably
reflects quite well on him that they've been open and upfront about it."

DESTRUCTION OF CAVES

Stausholm was vaulted into Rio's top job in 2021 after his predecessor
Jean-Sebastien Jacques and two deputies left the company in an executive
cull prompted by another scandal: a public and political backlash over Rio
Tinto's destruction of 46,000-year-old sacred Indigenous rock shelters in
Juukan Gorge, Australia, to expand an iron ore mine. Rio said last year that
it would work with the leadership of local groups to agree an appropriate
remedy for the destruction of the caves.

Rio's chairman of four years Simon Thompson subsequently said he would step
down in April, bowing to investor pressure over the same issue, to be
replaced by Barton.

Stausholm's elevation to CEO came as a surprise to some investors and
industry watchers who had expected the 149-year-old mining company to opt
for an external hire to help to turn a fresh page.

The two sources said Rio had struggled to attract suitable external
candidates who could take the role at relatively short notice amid the
Juukan Gorge furore.

Furthermore, Stausholm's initiation of the probe into the company's culture,
coupled with possible board reluctance to have yet another leadership change
- he is Rio's fourth CEO in nine years - may give him breathing room, the
sources said.

"This culture that has been hidden is beginning to surface, and it's not
pretty. (But) we are heartened by the fact that Rio has come out in the
open, it has laid it bare. We are still to see what action Rio is going to
take," said Glen Mpufane, director of mining at IndustriALL, a union
federation that represents millions of industrial workers around the world.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

NFT marketplace shuts, citing 'rampant' fakes, plagiarism problem

(Reuters) - The platform which sold an NFT of Jack Dorsey's first tweet for
$2.9 million has halted transactions because people were selling tokens of
content that did not belong to them, its founder said, calling this a
"fundamental problem" in the fast-growing digital assets market.

Sales of NFTs, or non-fungible tokens, soared to around $25 billion in 2021,
leaving many baffled as to why so much money is being spent on items that do
not physically exist and which anyone can view online for free.

NFTs are crypto assets that record the ownership of a digital file such as
an image, video or text. Anyone can create, or "mint", an NFT, and ownership
of the token does not usually confer ownership of the underlying item. read
more

Reports of scams, counterfeits and "wash trading" have become commonplace.

The U.S.-based Cent executed one of the first known million-dollar NFT sales
when it sold the former Twitter CEO's tweet as an NFT last March. But as of
Feb. 6, it has stopped allowing buying and selling, CEO and co-founder
Cameron Hejazi told Reuters.

"There's a spectrum of activity that is happening that basically shouldn't
be happening - like, legally" Hejazi said.

Hejazi highlighted three main problems: people selling unauthorised copies
of other NFTs, people making NFTs of content which does not belong to them,
and people selling sets of NFTs which resemble a security.

He said these issues were "rampant", with users "minting and minting and
minting counterfeit digital assets".

"It kept happening. We would ban offending accounts but it was like we're
playing a game of whack-a-mole... Every time we would ban one, another one
would come up, or three more would come up."

"MONEY CHASING MONEY"

Such problems may come into greater focus as major brands join the rush
towards the so-called "metaverse", or Web3. Coca-Cola (KO.N) and luxury
brand Gucci are among companies to have sold NFTs, while YouTube said it
will explore NFT features.

While Cent, with 150,000 users and revenue "in the millions", is a
relatively small NFT platform, Hejazi said the issue of fake and illegal
content exists across the industry.

"I think this is a pretty fundamental problem with Web3," he said.

The biggest NFT marketplace, OpenSea, valued at $13.3 billion after its
latest round of venture funding, said last month more than 80% of the NFTs
minted for free on its platform were "plagiarized works, fake collections
and spam."

OpenSea tried limiting the number of NFTs a user could mint for free, but
then reversed this decision following a backlash from users, the company
said in a Twitter thread, adding that it was "working through a number of
solutions" to deter "bad actors" while supporting creators.

OpenSea did not immediately respond to a Reuters' request for comment.

To many NFT-enthusiasts, the decentralised nature of blockchain technology
is appealing, allowing users to create and trade digital assets without a
central authority controlling the activity.

But Hejazi said his company was keen on protecting content-creators, and may
introduce centralised controls as a short-term measure in order to re-open
the marketplace, before exploring decentralised solutions.

It was after the Dorsey NFT sale that Cent started to get a sense of what
was going on in NFT markets.

"We realized that a lot of it is just money chasing money."

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Wall St Week Ahead Crypto investors face more uncertainty after rocky start
to 2022

(Reuters) - Investors are bracing for more gyrations in bitcoin and other
cryptocurrencies, as worries over a hawkish Federal Reserve threaten to
squelch risk appetite across markets.

The volatility traditionally associated with cryptocurrencies has been on
full display in recent weeks. Bitcoin , the largest cryptocurrency, is up by
around 33% since Jan. 24 and recently traded at $43,850, rebounding from a
tumble that cut its price in half from November’s record high. Its main
rival, ether , is up around 45% since Jan. 24 at around $3,200, following a
nearly 56% nosedive from its record high of $4,868, also in November.

While proponents of cryptocurrencies once touted their lack of correlation
to other assets, bitcoin and its peers saw huge gains over the last two
years, rallying along with stocks as the Fed and other central banks pumped
unprecedented levels of stimulus into the global economy. Bitcoin is up
1,039% since March 2020 and ether has risen 2,940%, though the rallies in
both cryptocurrencies have been interrupted by numerous-stomach churning
selloffs.

Their recent volatility has come amid a broader market selloff driven by
investors recalibrating their portfolios to account for a more aggressive
Fed, which is now expected to raise rates as many as seven times this year
as it fights surging inflation. The benchmark S&P 500 index (.SPX) is down
5.5% year-to-date, while the tech-heavy Nasdaq (.IXIC) has lost 9.3%.

Worries that an aggressive central bank tightening cycle going forward will
hamstring risky assets has made it difficult for some traders to maintain
their bullish outlook on bitcoin and other cryptos, an asset class already
identified with intense volatility.

Escalating tensions in Ukraine, where Washington warned a Russian invasion
could begin any day, could also spark broad market moves, investors said.
read more

Bitcoin has "really become the ultimate momentum trade and there are so many
risks that can trigger a 40% drop out of nowhere," said Ed Moya, senior
analyst at Oanda.

Bitcoin's volatility hasn’t stopped some analysts from trying to gauge the
currency’s fair value or point out potentially important price levels.

Analysts at JPMorgan estimate bitcoin’s current fair value at around $38,000
– some 15% below its recent price – based on its volatility in comparison
with that of gold, another asset investors often use to hedge their
portfolios against inflation and economic uncertainty.

Vanda Research, meanwhile, said in a recent note that most of the bearish
bets on a weaker bitcoin price were entered at around $47,000, and "there
could be a large short-squeeze if the aforementioned threshold is crossed,
and retail investors return to crypto-trading."

Meanwhile, correlations between bitcoin and the S&P 500 reached an all-time
high on Jan 31, according to data from BofA Global Research, undercutting
the case for those hoping to use the cryptocurrency as a hedge against
market turbulence.

Investors next week are expecting minutes from the Fed’s most recent
monetary policy meeting, due out Wednesday. Walmart (WMT.N) and chipmaker
Nvidia Corp (NVDA.O) will be among the companies reporting results, as
corporate earnings season rolls on.

Some investors are steeling themselves to ride out the volatility in
bitcoin, betting that the long-term value proposition of blockchain
technology, the built in supply limit, and the network effect it produces,
will endure despite frequent price swings.

Jurrien Timmer, director of global macro at Fidelity, likened the current
speculation in cryptocurrencies to the turbulence tech stocks experienced
during the dot-com era more than two decades ago, a boom-and-bust period
that saw a comparatively small group of companies left standing.

"Amazon is still around and Apple is still around and they're bigger than
ever and the thinking is that for bitcoin that will be the same," he said.
"But it's not immune to those waves of speculation and sentiment."

Bitcoin could reach $100,000 as soon as 2023, Timmer has said, based on his
supply/demand models.

Others believe mature cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and ether are unlikely
to deliver the kind of eye-watering gains they have notched since their
founding.

Instead, they are looking to the universe of new, alternative coins that are
being created to take advantage of the money pouring into the crypto space,
including the metaverse and NFTs, which saw $30 billion worth of venture
capital investment last year, according to PitchBook.

Some altcoins include cosmos, Terra Luna, and Polkadot, which are down
around 20.5%, 38% and 25.5% year-to-date, respectively, according to
coinmarketcap.com.

Understanding the risks linked to them and decentralized finance is going to
be one of the main challenges for investors in 2022, said Lily Francus,
director of quantitative research strategy at Moody's Analytics.

Cryptocurrencies "are going to remain very volatile going forward, but there
are significant players on both the institutional side and the retail side
that are still growing, so the interest is still growing," said Oanda's
Moya.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Apple raises pay of many U.S. retail employees - Bloomberg News

(Reuters) - Apple Inc (AAPL.O) is raising the pay of many U.S. retail
employees effective this month, Bloomberg News reported on Friday.

The hikes range from 2% to 10% depending on store location and role, and
will go to sales staff, including Genius Bar technical staff and some senior
hourly workers, the report said.

The raises do not apply to all employees, the report added.

Apple is expanding its retail operations, betting that a combination of
strategies developed before and during COVID-19 will make its stores more
popular than ever.

Last year, it reportedly paid one-time bonuses of as much as $1,000 to store
employees ahead of the busy holiday season.

Apple did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

The pay of its chief executive, Tim Cook, in 2021 was nearly $100 million
thanks to stock awards, or about 1,447 times that of the average employee.
read more

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

U.S. poultry producers harden safety measures as bird flu spreads

(Reuters) - U.S. poultry producers are tightening safety measures for their
flocks as disease experts warn that wild birds are likely spreading a highly
lethal form of avian flu across the country.

Indiana on Wednesday reported highly pathogenic bird flu on a commercial
turkey farm, leading China, South Korea and Mexico to ban poultry imports
from the state. The outbreakput the U.S. industry on edge at a time that
labor shortages are fueling food inflation. read more

The disease is already widespread in Europe and affecting Africa, Asia and
Canada, but the outbreak in Indiana, which is on a migratory bird pathway,
particularly rattled U.S. producers. A devastating U.S. bird-flu outbreak in
2015 killed nearly 50 million birds, mostly turkeys and egg-laying chickens
in the Midwest.

The United States is the world's largest producer and second-largest
exporter of poultry meat, according to the U.S. government.

"Everyone is just sitting on edge because we know what can happen and we
don't want a repeat of that," said Denise Heard, vice president of research
for the U.S. Poultry & Egg Association, an industry group.

Poultry company Perdue Farms suspended in-person visits to farms to avoid
spreading the disease, spokeswoman Diana Souder said.

Iowa's Agriculture Secretary Mike Naig said a confirmed case in the country
meant heightened risk for all.

"It's time to move to a higher alert for our livestock producers," Naig
said.

Disease experts said a wild bird likely spread the H5N1 virus, which can be
transmitted to humans, to Indiana from the East Coast, where officials have
confirmed that wild ducks were infected with the strain. read more

The U.S. Agriculture Department called the disease low risk to people. read
more

HEIGHTENED SECURITY

Tyson Foods Inc (TSN.N) heightened biosecurity measures in its East Coast
facilities after the wild bird infections, the company said on an earnings
call on Monday. It said it reduced the number of trips to farms and started
taking more time to clean vehicles.

Wild birds from the East Coast may have mixed with those that fly through a
migratory path called the Mississippi Flyway that includes Indiana and major
poultry-producing states, such as Mississippi and Alabama, experts said.

To better track the disease, the U.S. Agriculture Department said on Friday
it will expand monitoring of wild birds to the Mississippi Flyway and
another migratory pathway, the Central Flyway, that includes Texas and
Nebraska.

"It's very likely that it can be all over the states - from the East Coast
to the West Coast," Heard said.

Other commercial poultry flocks may become infected as wild birds traverse
flyways, though producers have improved safety measures since 2015, said
Carol Cardona, an avian health professor at the University of Minnesota.

In one key change, farms often require people who enter poultry barns to
change their boots and clothing so they do not bring in contaminated
materials like feces or feathers.

"We recognize that the virus could be right outside the door," Cardona said.

There have been more than 700 outbreaks of bird flu in Europe, with more
than 20 countries affected since October 2021. Tens of millions of birds
have been culled.

Britain's government reported that the country was suffering its worst-ever
bird flu season, while Italy has the highest number of outbreaks at more
than 300. Hungary, Poland and France have also recorded significant numbers
of cases.

The disease hit the United States at a time when poultry supplies are down
due to strong demand and labor shortages at meat plants during to the
COVID-19 pandemic.

Government data showed U.S. frozen chicken supplies were down 14% from a
year ago at the end of December while turkey inventories were down 23%.

In Indiana, officials are testing poultry farms in a 10-kilometer control
area around the infected farm in Dubois County. The state said on Thursday
that all tests were negative but that testing will continue on a weekly
basis.

Those negative tests have not relaxed James Watson, the state veterinarian
in Mississippi, the fifth-biggest chicken-meat-producing state. He said wild
ducks will likely continue to spread the virus until warmer weather sends
them to northern breeding grounds.

"Even if they resolve this with no other issues, we're still going to be on
high alert," Watson said.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Finland seals deal for U.S. F-35 stealth jets, reflecting tight ties to NATO

(Reuters) - Finland has sealed a deal to buy dozens of F-35 stealth
warplanes from the United States, in a sign of its military's close ties
with NATO at a time of high tension between the West and Russia in Europe.

The northern European nation - which borders Russia and was historically
neutral during the Cold War - signed the $9.4 billion agreement on Friday to
buy 64 radar-evading Lockheed Martin (LMT.N) jets.

While the planes will not enter service for several years - non-NATO Finland
has previously said 2027 - the agreement reflects the country's deepening
cooperation with the Western military alliance and how its defence forces
materiel policy is based on all new equipment being NATO-compatible.

Finland's government said the decision to buy the U.S. jets, announced in
December, was part of long-term plans to boost the country's defences, not a
response to the current confrontation between the West and Russia over
Ukraine.

"It is part of our long-term planning and has nothing to do with the current
situation as such," said Mikko Hautala, Finland's ambassador to the United
States.

Russia has massed more than 100,000 troops near its frontiers with Ukraine,
and Western countries fear it is planning an attack. Moscow denies plans for
an invasion but says it could take unspecified "military-technical" action
unless demands are met, including a promise to admit no new countries to
NATO and to withdraw Western forces from Eastern Europe.

Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin said in January the country had no plans
at present to apply to join NATO, but added that his nation retained the
right to join. read more

MISSILES TOO

The contract with the U.S. government and planemaker Lockheed Martin
includes maintenance equipment, spare parts and training services, Finland's
Defence Forces said.

"The aim is to ensure that Finland's F-35 system has the best possible
performance going into the 2030s," it added.

On top of the F-35s, Defence Minister Antti Kaikkonen decided on Friday that
Finland would buy surface-to-surface missiles from Lockheed for 75 million
euros to improve the performance and extend the range of it's heavy rocket
launcher system, the Defence Ministry said in a statement.

The munition deliveries are estimated to begin in 2025, it added. The
surface-to-surface missiles have a range of over 135 kilometres and could be
used offensively or as a deterrent to land invasion.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Oil soars 3% to 7-yr highs on Ukraine jitters, tight supplies

(Reuters) - Oil prices ended 3% higher on Friday at fresh seven-year highs
as escalating fears of an invasion of Ukraine by Russia, a top energy
producer, added to concerns over tight global crude supplies.

Russia has massed enough troops near Ukraine to launch a major invasion,
Washington said, as it urged all U.S. citizens to leave the country within
48 hours. read more

Britain also advised its nationals to leave Ukraine as Prime Minister Boris
Johnson impressed the need for NATO allies to make it absolutely clear that
there will be a heavy package of economic sanctions ready to go, should
Russia invade Ukraine. read more

Brent crude futures settled $3.03, or 3.3%, higher at $94.44 a barrel, while
U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude rose $3.22, or 3.6%, to $93.10 a barrel.

Both benchmarks touched their highest since late 2014, surpassing the highs
hit on Monday, and posted their eighth consecutive week of gains on growing
concerns about global supplies as demand recovers from the coronavirus
pandemic.

Trading volumes spiked in the last hour of trading, with volumes for global
benchmark Brent climbing to their highest in more than two months.

"The market doesn't want to be short going into the weekend ... if an
invasion appears to be imminent and you know that there will be retaliatory
sanction that will result in a disruption in natural gas and oil supplies,"
Andrew Lipow, president of Lipow Oil Associates in Houston.

The International Energy Agency raised its 2022 demand forecast and expects
global demand to expand by 3.2 million barrels per day (bpd) this year,
reaching an all-time record 100.6 million bpd.

The energy watchdog's report follows the Organization of the Petroleum
Exporting Countries' warning earlier this week that world oil demand might
rise even more steeply this year on a strong post-pandemic economic
recovery.

The IEA added that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates could help to
calm volatile oil markets if they pumped more crude, adding that the OPEC+
alliance produced 900,000 bpd below target in January.

The two OPEC producers have the most spare production capacity and could
help to relieve dwindling global oil inventories that have been among
factors pushing prices towards $100 a barrel, deepening inflation worldwide.

The Biden administration responded to high prices by again stating this week
that it has been talking with large producers about more output, as well as
the possibility of additional strategic releases from large consumers, as it
did late last year.

Indirect U.S.-Iran nuclear talks resumed this week after a 10-day break. A
deal could see the lifting of sanctions on Iranian oil and ease supply
tightness.

In the United States, drillers added the most oil rigs in a week in four
years, with the rig count, an indicator of future production, rising 19 to
516, its highest since April 2020, energy services firm Baker Hughes Co
said.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Ford reconsiders India after halting production, this time for EVs

(Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N) said on Friday it is considering producing
electric vehicles (EVs) in India for export, and possibly for sale in the
domestic market, just months after the U.S. automaker decided to stop
selling and manufacturing cars in the country.

Ford's comments mark a shift in strategy after it said in September it was
taking a hit of about $2 billion because it does not see a path to
profitability and was leaving the major auto market. The decision came as a
setback for Prime Minister Narendra Modi's "Make in India" campaign.

Ford has two car plants in the country. In a statement on Friday, the
company said it was "exploring the possibility of using a plant in India as
an export base for EV manufacturing."

When asked if the company may consider selling electric cars in India as
well, a Ford India spokesman said, "there have been no specific discussions
on this right now, but it is not out of the realm of future consideration".

Ford is increasingly targeting customers in what it said was a "global
electric vehicle revolution". The automaker has previously said it plans to
invest $30 billion in EVs and batteries through 2030.

Ford had less than 2% of the Indian passenger vehicle market when it stopped
production in the country, having struggled for more than two decades to
turn a profit. The restructuring was viewed positively by analysts.

The move allows Ford to keep a door open to re-enter India if it so decides
at a later stage, said Gaurav Vangaal, Associate Director, Light Production
Forecasting at IHS Markit.

There is a cost benefit to manufacturing in India, and the company has
historically exported vehicles to North America and Europe - both of which
are now large and growing EV markets, said Vangaal.

"Ford will have to prove India can also be cost-competitive for making EVs,
for which it will need big investments to localise the supply chain," he
said, adding that it will also need to figure out how it would source
lithium-ion batteries.

Ford's comments to explore India as an EV manufacturing hub came after the
company's proposal to seek incentives under the government's $3.5 billion
scheme for clean-fuel vehicles was approved on Friday.

The plan is a cornerstone of the Modi government's agenda to cut oil imports
and reduce pollution by giving benefits of up to 18% of new investments made
by companies to manufacture electric and hydrogen fuel-powered vehicles.
Ford is among 20 other companies eligible for benefits under the scheme.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

Date & Time

Companies under Cautionary

ART

PPC

Starafrica

Fidelity

Turnall

Medtech

Zimre

Nampak Zimbabwe

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2022 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email:
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell: +263 77
344 1674