Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 02 June 2022

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Thu Jun 2 10:47:49 CAT 2022

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/> Bullish
Thoughts        <http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 02 June 2022

 <https://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

ü  Sheryl Sandberg to leave Facebook after 14 years

ü  Elon Musk declares end to remote working at Tesla

ü  Service charge: The unsavoury row over ‘forced’ restaurant tips in India

ü  Cancelled flights: Tui customers angry over handling of travel misery

ü  Why the Ukraine war may power Asia's green energy shift

ü  Missguided shoppers left chasing orders and refunds

ü  Tanzania: 'Salary Increment Should Serve As Catalyst to Up Performance'

ü  Nigeria: In Osun Communities, Lack of Privacy Turns Traders Away From
Borrowing

ü  Uganda: Government to Streamline Fishing Sector, Enforce Issuance of
Licences

ü  Uganda: Top Eight Contestants in MTN's Nsindika Njake Show Explore
Agribusiness Sector

ü  Kenya: Don't Shy Away From Using Debt, Kenyatta Urges Next Administration

ü  Libya Oil Firm Says Crude Gushing From Desert Pipeline

ü  Africa: 'Local Is King' - Africa's Online Platforms Take On Silicon
Valley

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

Sheryl Sandberg to leave Facebook after 14 years

Sheryl Sandberg, the chief operating officer of Facebook's parent company
Meta, has announced that she is leaving the business after 14 years.

Ms Sandberg announced her departure in a Facebook post, saying she hoped to
focus on her foundation and philanthropic work in the future.

Her departure comes as Meta faces a slowdown in advertising sales and more
competition from rivals such as TikTok.

Ms Sandberg is one of the most high-profile women in the tech industry.

"When I took this job in 2008, I hoped I would be in this role for five
years," wrote Ms Sandberg, known as a powerful second-in-command at the
company. "Fourteen years later, it is time for me to write the next chapter
of my life."

Javier Olivan, currently Meta's chief growth officer, will take over Ms
Sandberg's position in the company when she leaves.

Ms Sandberg, whose husband died suddenly in 2015, is getting re-married this
summer. She said she planned to leave the company in the autumn but would
remain on the board.

Following her announcement, shares in Meta fell 4%.

Ms Sandberg joined Facebook when it was still a small company led by Mark
Zuckerberg, a then-23 year-old Harvard dropout. A veteran of Google, she
helped turn its advertising business into a profit powerhouse, as the
company grew to include Instagram, WhatsApp and Messenger.

Last year, the company reported more than $117bn in revenue and said more
than 2.8 billion people globally used one of its apps daily.

Media caption,

COO of Facebook Sheryl Sandberg on the importance of female success in the
workplace

Books she wrote, including Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead -
which she described as a "sort of feminist manifesto" - made her a global
celebrity.

But her star power faded as the company faced criticism for its handling of
personal data in relation to political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica
and targeted adverts as well as its moderation of social media posts.

Ms Sandberg, who was initially responsible for Facebook's response, appeared
to acknowledge some of those challenges in her post, writing: "The debate
around social media has changed beyond recognition since those early days."

"To say it hasn't always been easy is an understatement. But it should be
hard," she wrote. "The products we make have a huge impact, so we have the
responsibility to build them in a way that protects privacy and keeps people
safe."

'End of an era'

In his own post, Mr Zuckerberg said Ms Sandberg's departure marked the "end
of an era", noting that it was "unusual" for a business partnership like
theirs to last so long.

"Sheryl architected our ads business, hired great people, forged our
management culture, and taught me how to run a company," he added. "She
created opportunities for millions of people around the world, and she
deserves the credit for so much of what Meta is today."

He said Mr Olivan's responsibilities would differ from Ms Sandberg's, with
Mr Olivan taking on a "more traditional" chief operating officer role that
was more focused internally and operationally.

Meta is facing new challenges as countries tighten social media regulations
and iPhone maker Apple changes its privacy rules, hitting the social media
firm's targeted ad business.

Growth in the number of Facebook users in key markets, such as the US, has
been stalled, and it has lost younger users to rivals such as TikTok.

Mr Zuckerberg has been pushing the company to invest heavily in virtual and
augmented reality platforms, which he sees as driving the firm's next phase
of growth. He renamed the company Meta last year in honour of the shift to
the "metaverse".

Insider principal analyst Debra Aho Williamson said Ms Sandberg "had an
enormous impact on Facebook, Meta, and the broader business world".

"She helped Facebook build a world-class ad-buying platform and develop
ground-breaking ad formats, which enabled the company to become the second
largest digital ad business in the world behind Google," she said.

"However, Facebook also faced huge scandals under her watch, including the
2016 election, the Cambridge Analytica privacy debacle in 2018, and the
Capitol riots that took place after the 2020 election. And in 2022, Meta is
facing a slowdown in user growth and ad revenue that is now testing the
business foundation that the company was built on.

"The company needs to find a new way forward, and perhaps this was the best
time for Sandberg to depart."-BBC

Elon Musk declares end to remote working at Tesla

Tesla boss Elon Musk has ordered staff to return to the office full-time,
declaring that working remotely is no longer acceptable.

The new policy was shared in emails that were leaked to social media.

Tesla did not respond to a request for comment on the messages, one of which
appeared to be addressed to executives.

People who are unwilling to abide by the new rules can "pretend to work
somewhere else" Mr Musk said on Twitter, when asked about the policy.

"Everyone at Tesla is required to spend a minimum of 40 hours in the office
per week," he wrote in one of the emails. "If you don't show up, we will
assume you have resigned."

The emails said staff should report to work at one of the company's main
offices, "not a remote branch office unrelated to the job duties".

Mr Musk added that he would personally review any requests for exemptions
from the policy.

Mr Musk said working in the office full-time was what the company asks of
its factory employees and in-person collaboration was critical to the firm's
success.

"There are of course companies that don't require this, but when was the
last time they shipped a great new product? It's been a while," he said in
an email, one of two that was leaked and shared on social media.

"Tesla has and will create and actually manufacture the most exciting and
meaningful products of any company on Earth. This will not happen by phoning
it in."

Companies in many industries are wrestling with whether to allow the remote
work practices that exploded during the coronavirus pandemic to continue.

Some sectors, such as banking, signalled early on that they would expect
staff to return to the office, while others, often in the tech industry,
have said they will allow remote work indefinitely. Many places have opted
for a mix.

Office occupancy in the US is at about 43%, according to data from Kastle,
which runs security card access systems at thousands of buildings across the
country.

'I lived in the factory'

Mr Musk is famously hard charging in his own attitude to work. He rarely
takes holidays and during a crunch period for Tesla a few years ago, he
slept on the factory floor.

"The more senior you are, the more visible must be your presence," he wrote
in one of the emails on the remote work policy.

"That is why I lived in the factory so much - so that those on the line
could see me working alongside them. If I had not done that, Tesla would
long ago have gone bankrupt."

Mr Musk was previously on the record as having a dim view of remote work,
writing on Twitter earlier this year that "all the Covid stay-at-home stuff
has tricked people into thinking that you don't actually need to work hard.
Rude awakening inbound!"

His comments raised the potential for a fresh clash of cultures with the
staff at Twitter, which he is in the process of buying for $44bn (£35.3bn).

In March, the firm's chief executive Parag Agrawal said staff could continue
top work from home "forever".

In a note to employees posted on the social media platform, Mr Agrawal said
"As we open back up, our approach remains the same. Wherever you feel most
productive and creative is where you will work and that includes working
from home full-time forever."

"Office every day? That works too. Some days in office, some days from home?
Of course."-BBC

Service charge: The unsavoury row over ‘forced’ restaurant tips in India

On Thursday, as the Indian government meets representatives of restaurants
to sort out the contentious issue of the service charge that customers have
to pay most times when they eat out, the BBC explains the unsavoury tussle
over tips.

A couple of months back, Nicole Ruth Ellis visited a restaurant in Mumbai,
the city where she lives and works.

The 27-year-old brand strategist describes herself as a "foodie" who eats
out at least twice a week.

"But on this evening, the service was really bad. They served the pizza in a
deep dish, so it arrived broken."

At one point, she says, the waiter came by to ask her if she was enjoying
her meal.

"I was honest with him, I told him that it was not great. He heard me but
then he just walked away."

When the bill came, she says, it included a 10% "service charge".

"I am not confrontational, so I didn't say that I will not pay the service
charge, but I believe we should be tipping only if the service is really
great. It shouldn't be forced upon us," she tells me.

Until a few years back, tipping was at the diner's discretion in India, but
then many restaurants began levying a service charge - anywhere between 5%
and 15% of the bill.

One restaurant owner told the BBC that there were two reasons for
introducing the service charge - to ensure that the tip is not pocketed by
the waiter but is shared among all the staff, including the chefs, janitors,
cleaners and dishwashers; and because most Indians are not "generous
tippers" - a claim contested by author and journalist Vir Sanghvi, who's
India's most eminent food critic and perhaps the most prolific restaurant
visitor.

"I don't think Indians are not generous when it comes to tipping. I see
people often giving tips not just to waiters but to doormen and bellboys at
hotels," Mr Sanghvi says.

The tipping culture, he says, came to India from the West. Just as in 1960s
America, employers could pay workers below minimum wages if they earned
tips, in 1950s and 60s India - just years into the country's independence -
"many standalone restaurants in Delhi's Connaught Place or Kolkata's Park
Street or Mumbai's Churchgate Street did not pay their waiters salaries at
all and expected them to get by with tips".

But in 2022, eating out is big business in India, with the industry valued
at 4.2tn rupees ($55bn; £43bn).

"And even today, waiters, unless employed in star restaurants, are paid very
poorly and are expected to make the shortfall from tips and service charge,"
Mr Sanghvi says, adding that "it is the job of the restaurant to pay their
staff, not the customer's".

The Indian government too insists that "the service charge is voluntary and
is to be paid at the discretion of consumers".

In 2017, the Department of Consumer Affairs issued a set of guidelines
saying that customers only had to pay the prices displayed on the menu card
along with government taxes and charging for anything extra without their
consent "amounts to unfair trade practice".

But with most restaurants continuing to add a service charge to the bill,
the authorities have called the National Restaurant Association of India
(NRAI) for a meeting on Thursday.

In a letter to the NRAI last week, the department said there had been
complaints from consumers that they were still being "forced to pay service
charge, often fixed at arbitrarily high rates" and that "they are harassed
if they request to remove it from the bill".

The NRAI, which represents more than half a million restaurants, has
rejected the charge of illegality. In a statement sent to the BBC, it said
customers were made aware in advance about the service charge "as it's
displayed on the menu cards and also on the premises. Then it becomes an
agreement between the parties, and is not an unfair trade practice".

What are the UK's rules on tipping?

Some restauranteurs also said that diners unhappy with the service could ask
to have the charge deleted from their bill.

"If patrons are unhappy, a good restaurant would immediately remove the
service charge, no questions asked," said Saurabh Khanijo, owner of Kylin, a
chain of popular pan-Indian restaurants.

"We don't even charge for a dish if a customer is not satisfied. Think about
it - it works in our favour. If I treat the guest well, then they would
return," he added.

But a refusal to pay the service charge doesn't always end well, forcing
customers to go to court - some have even won compensation.

Also, as Ms Ellis said, customers like her are too embarrassed to insist on
removing it from their bill.-BBC

Cancelled flights: Tui customers angry over handling of travel misery

Passengers have expressed fury over what they see as poor treatment after
travel giant Tui axed dozens of flights amid continued misery at UK
airports.

Chris Thompson, whose flight home from Turkey was cancelled minutes before
departure, told the BBC that Tui's organisation was "absolutely abysmal".

About 34,000 customers were told their June holidays out of Manchester had
been axed, some in overnight emails.

Tui apologised and said the vast majority of its flights were operating.

"We understand that last minute cancellations are incredibly disappointing
and we would like to reassure our customers that we are doing everything we
can to get them on holiday as planned," it said.

Other airlines, including EasyJet and British Airways have also cancelled
flights, amid staff shortages and other issues that have coincided with
rising demand for foreign travel after the pandemic.

Mr Thompson, who is on holiday with his wife and three children in Izmir,
Turkey, said the family were told their Tui flight home had been cancelled
after they had already got through passport control.

The family were put up in a hotel on Tuesday night after spending more than
five hours at the airport and were told they could get a flight back to
Manchester at 16:00.

"Not knowing what's going on is becoming frustrating," he said. "The Tui
number is constantly engaged."

He was later given a new estimated flight time of 02:20 on Thursday.

Steve Butcher, from Gravesend, was due to fly on holiday to Paphos, Cyprus,
on Wednesday morning.

But he woke up to an email from Tui saying their holiday was cancelled.

"My wife was in tears, she was so looking forward to it. We were all packed
and ready to go," he told the BBC.

Steve said he then received another email from Tui saying their flight would
now be on Thursday morning, but he is unsure whether to go to the airport
tomorrow.

"If we do, we have to stay in a Travelodge as we will need to arrive in the
early hours. But what if it gets cancelled again?"

About 34,000 customers due to fly with Tui from Manchester Airport in June
have been told their flights are now cancelled. For some, the news came
overnight in emails sent after 02:00 BST on Wednesday.

Pat Karney, a councillor in Manchester, said he received an early-hours
message confirming his holiday to Girona on 18 June had been cancelled.

He described the situation as a "shambles" and asked: "Why book us in the
first place?"

Michael Dunne, who also received a notification, said he was assured by Tui
his holiday was not affected when he phoned the firm on Tuesday evening -
only to find out it was cancelled overnight.

"I made a phone call to them late last night and managed to actually get
through... and I was told at that point last night that there was no impact
to my holiday and it was going ahead," he said.

"I woke up in the middle of the night to find an email cancelling the
holiday in its entirety, and if I would like to rebook using the website but
cannot do so until Friday."

Mr Dunne told BBC Radio 5 Live that when he looked on the Tui website for
the same holiday, flying on the same dates, to the same hotel but on a
different flight, the quoted price was £5,000 higher than he paid.

According to flight tracking firm Cirium, 377 flights have been cancelled
from UK airports during the last week (25-31 May), with EasyJet the most
affected airline and Gatwick the airport worst hit.

It comes as up to two million people prepare to fly over the next few days,
with the Jubilee bank holiday coinciding with half-term.

The aviation industry is suffering from staff shortages as it struggles to
recruit replacements for the thousands of workers it laid off during the
pandemic when international travel was halted.

Before Covid, airports and airlines across Britain employed around 140,000
people, but since then thousands of jobs have been cut, including around
30,000 for UK airlines alone.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps met with senior leaders from airports,
airlines and ground handling companies to discuss the disruption on
Wednesday evening.

He reiterated that airline bosses should have been preparing for a "surge in
passenger demand following two years of travel closures", the Department for
Transport said.

Mr Shapps said he understood the sector's staffing problems but added it
"does not excuse poor planning and overbooking flights that they cannot
service".

"The companies who have seen the most disruption need to learn from those
who ran services smoothly," he added.

Labour's Louise Haigh accused the government of being "missing in action"
and called on ministers to address the backlog in security checks for new
airline staff and address "chronic low-pay".

The transport secretary said the government had "made the changes needed to
allow the sector to prepare for summer" and said it was now up to the
industry "to do their bit".

"We have been crystal clear - run services properly and according to
schedule or provide swift, appropriate compensation," he added. "We do not
want to see a repeat of this over the summer."

The final Covid restrictions for people travelling to the UK were lifted on
18 March.

Airlines UK had said the sector had "only a matter of weeks to recover and
prepare for one of the busiest summers we've seen in many years" but,
despite this, "the vast majority" of flights this week would be operating as
scheduled.

After the meeting, chief executive of Airlines UK Tim Alderslade added:
"This isn't an airline issue or an airport issue or a government issue.

"We're in this together and we look forward to exploring options with
ministers to move the sector forwards as we approach the summer."

Some European airports have also seen disruption this week.

Earlier the Paris Airport authority, which manages Charles de Gaulle and
Orly airports, said software problems were affecting border controls leading
to delays, although by lunchtime it said the system was gradually returning
to normal.

Eurostar said an IT issue at the French border also led to delays of 30 to
60 minutes to train services.

Meanwhile, the operator of Dublin Airport said it could not guarantee the
long delays seen last weekend would not be repeated over the bank
holiday.-BBC

Why the Ukraine war may power Asia's green energy shift

For years there have been calls for Asia - which is home to some of the
world's biggest CO2 emitters - to ditch fossil fuels to help tackle climate
change.

Countries in the region - including its three biggest economies China, Japan
and India - were criticised last year for not making a bigger commitment at
the COP26 global climate change conference.

But six months on, there is another, arguably more immediate reason for Asia
to make the transition away from oil, gas and coal: money.

Global energy prices have jumped since late February when Russia launched
its invasion of Ukraine.

It has pushed European countries to find ways to rely less on Russian gas
with Germany hoping hydrogen could be its answer.

Japan and South Korea had also invested heavily in hydrogen technology
before the Ukraine war and the soaring cost of energy has provided an
additional incentive to accelerate their transition to greener fuels.

However, Asian economies have continued to burn coal to produce electricity
despite how much it pollutes the environment.

While some countries have made progress in moving away from fossil fuels, in
emergencies - like when two of the region's economic giants China and India
were hit by power shortages - it was coal that they turned to.

Japan had invested in nuclear power for decades but after the 2011 Fukushima
nuclear accident, it too went back to fossil fuels.

Some experts believe hydrogen can help countries make the transition from
fossil fuels to renewables and that is what a growing number of South Korean
businesses are now betting on.

The country has so far announced the largest government spending in Asia on
the development of hydrogen technology.

Seoul is pushing investments into the production of hydrogen as well as
technology for fuel cell power generation and hydrogen-powered cars.

Hydrogen is also considered by some experts to be the most practical
alternative to fossil fuels as it can be stored as a solid, liquid or gas.

That means, in comparison to solar and wind, it can be more easily
stockpiled and transported.

"Hydrogen is like an energy carrier," says Vince Heo of S&P Global Commodity
Insights in Seoul.

"You can store energy in the hydrogen and you can use them whenever you
want."

A key issue is that there are different types of hydrogen and what South
Korea is currently investing in is not emission-free.

The transition to 'green hydrogen'

The goal is to eventually transition to so-called "green hydrogen", which is
also known as "clean hydrogen".

It is produced using renewable energy sources, such as wind or solar power,
but it is the most expensive type of hydrogen to produce.

That is why hydrogen produced using fossil fuels has been seen by some
experts as the first step towards green hydrogen.

How green hydrogen gas can power homes

"South Korea's hydrogen is currently produced from natural gas," Martin
Tengler who is BloombergNEF's lead hydrogen analyst says, explaining that it
is referred to as "grey hydrogen".

The next stage in the transition is "blue hydrogen", which is also made
using fossil fuels but 60% to 90% of the carbon dioxide produced in the
process is captured and stored.

South Korea's biggest natural gas supplier, SK, has invested 18 trillion
won, or around ($15bn; £12bn), but only in grey and blue hydrogen.

The boss of its hydrogen business unit, Hyeong-wook Choo, told the BBC the
company did not invest in green hydrogen straight away because more
technology and investment was needed to do so.

With renewable sources of energy and infrastructure to capture and
distribute it not readily available in much of Asia, a major challenge has
been to develop the right mix of technologies to harness enough energy to
mass produce hydrogen.

"We can develop the market by manufacturing, distributing and consuming
hydrogen. So when green hydrogen becomes available, there will be more
ability to expand this hydrogen business," Mr Choo added.

The crucial issue behind this is how much it costs to produce each of the
different types of gas.

"Green hydrogen costs more than two to three times of grey hydrogen," says
Mr Heo of S&P Global.

"Currently, it's about $10 per kilogramme to produce green hydrogen."

Mr Heo says to be cost effective, the amount has to decline by 70% to around
$3 per kilogramme without government subsidies.

But the jump in global energy prices means that "there's clearly some
momentum on green hydrogen because it is produced from renewable energy
which is detached from the high fuel prices environment," he added.

For example in Europe, the costs of producing blue and grey hydrogen at
times increased by more than 70% following the Russian invasion of Ukraine,
according to the consultancy Rystad Energy.

If affordable green hydrogen becomes available, there are a number of
industries that can benefit.

"We can replace grey hydrogen in industries where there are no emissions-low
alternatives like refining petroleum, producing fertiliser and heavy
industries like steel production which require high temperatures," Mr
Tengler said.

To be able to compete globally, South Korea has created a hydrogen alliance
which more than a dozen companies have joined.

"The hydrogen industry at the moment is like the solar industry about 20
years ago where there are few projects being developed and there is a big
ambition in the market," said Mr Heo.

Wind power is one of the keys to South Korea's green hydrogen ambitions.

A consortium led by Korea Maritime and Ocean University is developing a
floating offshore plant to produce green hydrogen in the city of Busan.

"What we're envisioning is to use electricity from wind and solar out at
sea, to boil and electrolyse seawater to produce green hydrogen," Doh
Deog-hee, President of Korea Maritime and Ocean University said.

Its advantage is its proximity to hydrogen consumers, Mr Heo said: "You can
save the hydrogen transportation costs because that's a big, very expensive
part of the hydrogen value chain."

"But floating offshore wind costs more than $300 per megawatt hour compared
to $100 per megawatt hour of using solar power so how to actually optimise
the cost of producing hydrogen from this facility is a big question," he
added.

The transition to cleaner sources of energy has always been costly.

When global leaders met for COP26 in November, the world was starting to
face higher fuel prices due to the pent-up demand after the pandemic
lockdowns.

For many countries it was, and still is, very tempting to go back to fossil
fuels.

The question is whether the soaring fuel prices could be a bigger motivator
for a change.=BBC

Missguided shoppers left chasing orders and refunds

"Missguided is my little treat," said Beth Harvey who orders about once a
month. But when her latest fashion parcel didn't arrive she joined a queue
of customers left chasing their orders and refunds.

"I've always loved the quality of the clothing especially for a curvy
woman," said the 25-year-old, who orders different styles and sends back
what she doesn't need.

In April she noticed her refunds weren't going through and in May her parcel
didn't arrive at all.

Then came the news that the fast-fashion retailer had collapsed over
millions of pounds it owed suppliers - some even faced going under
themselves.

Missguided and its sister brand Mennace have now been bought by Sports
Direct owner Frasers Group.

It's understood 87 staff have been made redundant and 147 are expected to
move over to Frasers.

But many customers with outstanding orders and refunds say they are still in
the dark.

For the next eight weeks, administrators Teneo will run Missguided before
its new owners come in. But Teneo won't comment on whether it will clear the
backlog of customer complaints.

Meanwhile, the Missguided website is still advertising offers and taking
orders despite reports that its warehouse shut down last Thursday.

When Miss Harvey asked what had happened to her order she was told an IT
issue had delayed the delivery and it would get to her.

The BBC has seen multiple examples of similar messages from Missguided to
customers.

But an insider claims staff were told orders were not being processed and
should be cancelled and refunded with a generic response blaming IT issues.

"All orders are ultimately stuck in limbo and are being refunded if
customers contact us," they said.

On Friday Miss Harvey spotted a 50% discount so ordered almost £100 worth of
dresses hoping to find "the one" for an upcoming night out.

"I've ordered things that I never would never have worn in my wildest dreams
but I've tried them on and loved them," she said.

But when no parcels arrived by next day delivery Miss Harvey was told of an
IT error and promised her clothes by Monday.

Sports Direct owner buys Missguided

Her clothes still have not arrived. Miss Harvey, from Derbyshire, managed to
get a refund through buy-now-pay-later service Klarna.

"It's disgusting how they've left so many women in the dark," she added.
"I'm an NHS worker, who works hard for their cash and I was getting really
frustrated at the fact that they'd taken my money easily but it was a
nightmare to get it back."

Jenessa Sawyer, 23, from Maine in the US said she buys from Missguided
"religiously" and loves their activewear and dresses.

"They're fast fashion which is convenient but the quality is pretty good and
there are a good amount of options," she said.

The mum-of-one explained she was "enticed" by discounts and placed an order
costing just under $100 for summer clothes on Missguided's US website.

When she did not receive an order confirmation or her parcel she checked the
app.

"The app wasn't working so I went to the website and there's absolutely
nothing, it's like it never existed," she said.

She added the only online presence she could find for Missguided was on
Twitter, where she came across many messages from other unhappy customers.

"It seems they're still taking orders and advertising discounts on the UK
site," she said.

"It's strange to me as it's a big company, you feel you can trust them, you
don't expect them to take off with your money."

Miss Sawyer said she had not received a confirmation of her order from
Missguided, so the only proof of her payment was with buy-now-pay later
service Afterpay.

Beth Davies, a 24-year-old business support manager from Sheffield, said
Missguided was her go-to when she was looking for an outfit for a wedding on
Saturday.

She ordered 10 items totalling almost £200 to give her options to try on and
send back.

When she didn't receive a dispatch note or her parcel she tweeted Missguided
to find out what was happening.

The Manchester-based company replied saying an IT issue meant her order had
not been sent by next day delivery.

The message said: "I want to try and reassure you that your parcel is on its
way
allow until Friday."

By then the news of Missguided's collapse had broken with i newspaper
reporting the warehouse had been shut since Thursday - two days before Miss
Davies placed her order.

"Yesterday I was at work feeling so frustrated. They said it's on the way
when that's clearly a lie if the warehouse has been shut since last week,"
she said.

"So as it stands, I am assuming they haven't sent my items, but they happily
took my money. I have asked them to cancel both orders, but haven't had a
reply.

"I paid by PayPal so hopefully I will have some protection, I certainly
can't afford to lose £200."

Missguided's new owner Frasers Group said administrator Teneo was
responsible for the running of the business for the next eight weeks.

Teneo declined to comment on any of the claims made by customers and
insiders to the BBC.-BBC

Tanzania: 'Salary Increment Should Serve As Catalyst to Up Performance'

THE Dodoma Regional Commissioner (RC), Mr Anthony Mtaka has called upon
public servants in the region to consider salary increment as a catalyst to
boost their morale for working hard, professionally, and creatively to bring
up productivity and economic development.

Mr Mtaka made the statement early this week during a meeting with public
servants in Dodoma region to congratulate and thank President Samia Hassan
Suluhu for her efforts in improving warfare of the public servants.

The RC called upon the employees to be committed, productive and work
professionally while embracing creativity and integrity.

"On behalf of other workers, I promise that that we increase productivity as
a reward to the president, after her decision to increase salaries by 23.3
per cent," he echoed.

Mr Mtaka said the president's move to increase salaries, allowances, and
pensions for retirees is a good step towards increasing productivity in the
public service sector and bringing hope to retirees.

Moreover, RC Mtaka called on district councils to come up with innovations
that could bring sustainable development for Dodoma residents and improve
service delivery.

"Use the salary increment well. You may spend it on your children education,
go and pay school fees for your children to avoid inconveniences such as
being summoned by social welfare officers over failure to fulfill your
obligations," RC Mtaka insisted.

On his part, Chairman of the Dodoma Regional Teachers Association (TTU -
Dodoma), Mr Samwel Malecela, said the region has managed to settle arrears
it owed public employees, with 2,300 teachers being promoted in the
region.-Daily News.

Nigeria: In Osun Communities, Lack of Privacy Turns Traders Away From
Borrowing

Traders say based on past experience, they fear being harrassed by
representatives of microfinance banks and informal financial services
providers.

Funlola Abdulsamad's first-hand knowledge of how women entrepreneurs could
access financial support and other services came in the form of a
humiliating episode at Odo Ori market in Iwo, Osun State, in 2017.

A trader who allegedly defaulted in the payment of her microsavings loan was
forced to dance around the market with plastic and other filthy materials
hung around her neck. The woman, Ms Abdulsamad told PREMIUM TIMES, was
thereafter taken to Feesu bus terminus and other strategic parts of Iwo town
by officials of the microfinance bank that lent her money.

"It was a most embarrassing and terrifying moment for even me," Ms
Abdulsamad said of the memorable occasion in an interview with this
newspaper, her voice a mélange of fear and irritation.

"Although it didn't happen to me, I thought about it and concluded that I
was never going to be a part of any such [financial services] support
system. I can't imagine going through such humiliation. It was very
embarrassing."

Ms Abdulsamad sells fruits and other agricultural produce at Oluwo Market on
the outskirts of Iwo town. Everyday, she displays her produce on the edges
of the Ibadan-Osogbo Expressway. With an entire stock valued at less than
N10,000. She admitted that she could expand her business and rent a shop if
she received the right financial support. But despite her financial
challenges, she vowed never to seek support from the numerous organisations
offering microsavings and other financial products and services to women
entrepreneurs and traders in and around Iwo town.

"They have no respect for privacy," she said. "They can humiliate you
anywhere at any time. They don't care if you really don't want other people
to know about your businesses or financial status and challenges."

Adijatu Kareem, a trader at Odo Ori market in Iwo, told PREMIUM TIMES how
"public" the application process could be for prospective loan applicants,
thus exposing them to the "prying eyes of the entire market." Mrs Kareem,
who resides in Papa, a village on the outskirts of Iwo, explained that in
their efforts to conduct due diligence, officials of financial service
providers often expose applicants' data and pay less attention to privacy.

"Before you have access to a loan or open an account, they will have to
conduct an 'inspection' on your shop or kiosk," she began. "That way, they
take pictures and do a valuation of your goods. They do this publicly and it
attracts the attention of everyone in the market to your shop. Many of us
don't like this at all."

The trader added that many women in the market have chosen not to be part of
any formal credit service because of this privacy concern.

Financial Inclusion

In October 2012, Nigeria launched its National Financial Inclusion Strategy
with the overall target of reducing the adult financial exclusion rate from
46.3% in 2010 to 20% by 2020. Central to these goals are a strong network of
financial access points such as commercial bank branches, microfinance bank
branches, Automated Teller Machines (ATMs), Point-of-ofSales (POS)
terminals, agent banking outlets and mobile money agents.

In January 2019, the strategy was modified and it identified five of the
most excluded demographics: women; youth; micro, small and medium
enterprises (MSMEs); rural dwellers; and individuals living in the country's
northern regions.

At the heart of conversations around financial inclusion are issues of women
entrepreneurship and access to and use of financial products and services in
relation to how they affect job creation, economic growth and women
empowerment.

According to a 2018 survey by Enhancing Financial Innovation and Access
(EFInA), financial inclusion nationwide stood at 59.1 percent for women
compared with 67.5 percent for men, a gender gap of 8.4 percent. Although
this represented a slight improvement from a gap of 9.8 percent recorded in
2016, it was still considered poor.

Working in collaboration with its Financial Inclusion Secretariat (FIS), the
Central Bank of Nigeria has designed policies and partnership programmes
targeted at women. Examples of such initiatives is the establishment of the
MSME Development Fund (MSMEDF), a NGN220 billion (approximately USD 717
million) intervention fund set up by CBN that takes into consideration the
unique challenges faced by women in accessing credit with 60 percent of
funds (NGN132 billion, or roughly USD 430 million) earmarked for women.
There is also the National Financial Inclusion Special Interventions Working
Group (NFISIWG).

Women Still Vulnerable

Despite the various interventions by government and other stakeholders in
the private sector, women are still largely excluded from the financial
service ecosystem. Over 1 billion women still do not use or have access to
the financial system, according to the World Bank Group's Global Findex
report.

The International Finance Corporation (IFC) has estimated that globally, a
$300 billion gap in financing exists for formal, women-owned small
businesses, and more than 70 percent of women-owned small and medium
enterprises have inadequate or no access to financial services.

Iya Sodiki, a trader at Ile-Ogbo community in Ayedire Local Government Area
of Osun State, told this newspaper that she does not own any bank account
nor does she know of anyone around her who owns an account. According to
her, access to financial services can be cumbersome and tedious, hence their
nonchalant attitude to financial inclusion.

Multiple interviews with women across markets in Iwo and adjoining villages
like Papa showed that many of the traders save their money with thrift
collectors and others who run infromal contribution schemes. Others who
handle fewer cash, including those with relatively low rate of daily
turnover, often resort to keeping their money at home.

According to a report by the Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisor's Gender
Centre of Excellence, about 98 per cent of Nigerian women are left out of
formal credit markets, unable to obtain loans from formal financial
institutions like banks.

The centre, established to be a knowledge hub on advancing women's financial
inclusion in Nigeria, added that only about 45 per cent of adult Nigerians
borrow at all from the formal sector.

Data Privacy

The challenges notwithstanding, the digital financial services market is
being transformed at an exponentially fast rate, and it has helped in
meeting financial inclusion goals and their poverty alleviation and economic
growth benefits. But there has equally been concern with regard to data
privacy issues especially in relation to vulnerable groups such as women,
youth, the elderly, persons with disabilities and displaced persons.

Folasade Badmus, a trader at Oja Ale market, Iwo, told PREMIUM TIMES that
she once attempted to open an account with a microfinance bank but shelved
the idea after officials of the company showed up in her shop unannounced.

"They said they came for 'inspection' and 'mobilisation', and then they
wanted to take pictures of my kiosk," she said, half-amused. "Just like
that?"

"They didn't even inform me ahead of time. When they came, everybody's
attention shifted to my shop; I didn't like that at all. So, I opted out."

According to a guideline prepared by the Alliance for Financial Inclusion
(AFI), cultural norms in some societies may mean women are especially
concerned about the privacy of their data, including as far as other
household members (such as their partners) and their communities are
concerned.

Mama Glory, a fruit seller at Oluwo market, said she chose to shut herself
away from financial service companies because of her "peace of mind" and
"integrity" in the market. According to her, she doesn't worry about being
humiliated however poor her daily sales records are.

"Women in our community value their self-esteem but many of them are just
helpless; that's why they go for these loans and services despite the
disgrace," she said.

A study conducted by the Digital Financial Service (DFS) Working Group noted
that low-income customers value data privacy, were prepared to spend time in
obtaining a loan that offers privacy, and were unwilling to share personal
data with third parties.

But a loan service officer at LAPO Microfinance Bank, who declined to have
her name in print because she was not authorized to speak to the press, told
PREMIUM TIMES those financial institutions also value issues of data
privacy. However, she said, officials are sometimes compelled to adopt
certain "open" strategies due to the "recalcitrant attitude" of some of the
female beneficiaries.

"We conduct inspections and go unannounced because most of the women can be
crafty," she said.

"They can arrange goods that are not theirs in their shops once they know
you are coming for inspection. We also take pictures so that we can keep
records of their valuables. These things are inevitable."

Due to poor access to financial services, women face difficulties in
collecting and saving income, growing their businesses, and pulling their
families out of poverty.

The Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisor's Gender Centre of Excellence report
said that low education, limited decision-making power, and being in a rural
area exacerbate these issues. It also exposes women to financial limitations
and, by implication, deepens poverty.

Tunde Bamishe, a finance analyst, told this newspaper that there could be
moderation in the conduct of loan service providers with regard to data
privacy. According to him, due diligence could be conducted discreetly in
ways that it won't discourage other women from being part of the financial
ecosystem.

"The goal is to support their businesses and deepen financial inclusion," he
said.

"Stakeholders especially in rural areas must be sensitive to the cultural
dynamics and ensure that data privacy guidelines are adhered to, in order to
encourage them to adopt financial services."-Premium Times.

Uganda: Government to Streamline Fishing Sector, Enforce Issuance of
Licences

The State Minister for Fisheries, Hellen Adoa has promised to streamline the
fishing sector by enforcing the issuance of licences to all who benefit from
this lucrative sector, beginning with those fishing from lakes Victoria and
Kyoga.

She was speaking at a two day workshop on the sector organised by the
Fisheries Protection Unit (FPU) and the Directorate of Fisheries.

Adoa called for the need to enforce proper fishing standards, although she
later called for leniency when dealing with illegalities on water bodies.

She said the rising commodity prices have made life difficult and therefore
culprits have to be given a fair hearing.

The GIZ Project leader Adolf Gerstl implored all stakeholders in the
fisheries sector to cooperate for its enormous contribution towards economic
growth.

He pledged to continue supporting all activities geared towards stream
lining of fisheries activities on Uganda's water bodies.

Beginning June 10, 2022, it will be very hard to be involved in any fishing
activity without an operation license, most especially on Lake Victoria and
lake Kyoga

Uganda: Top Eight Contestants in MTN's Nsindika Njake Show Explore
Agribusiness Sector

Last week, the top eight contenders in MTN's entrepreneurship show Nsindika
Njake, explored the agribusiness sector.

In the eighth episode that aired last week, the eight contestants went to
Katende Harambe Demonstration Farm where they were equipped with practical
skills in agribusinesses including urban farming, zero grazing, biogas
processing and poultry farming.

During this skills fair, contestants were tasked to showcase their
communication, networking, marketing and teamwork abilities following an
extensive training conducted by Godfrey Kigoye, programmes director anchored
in the agribusiness.

19-year-old, Shakirah Nasseje impressed one of the judges with her
enthusiastic presentation about cattle-zero-grazing while Jovan Kagezi
passionately demonstrated the potential of poultry farming.

Cosmas Ayebare, another contender ventured into biogas production, singing
its praises and opportunities for energy production for farmers which he
said requires an initial capital cost of roughly Shs 2million, when asked by
renowned agriculture expert and business coach Dr. Ruth Biyinzika.

Abdul Karim Katende vouched for urban farming arguing that the business is
convenient as it can be carried in small spaces for instance a compound at
home.

This episode featured four contestants and the remaining four are to raise
the curtain for the new month on June 1st, 2022, pitching knowledge of
skills achieved from the same training.

Follow the maturing journey of entrepreneurs on NBS TV every Wednesday at
8:30 pm. The weekly episodes are repeated on Sundays at the same time.

The show is also running on radios including; Galaxy FM, Radio Simba, Radio
Buddu and CBS2 FM where listeners call in to share their thoughts about the
show and win instant Mobile Money.

Kenya: Don't Shy Away From Using Debt, Kenyatta Urges Next Administration

Nairobi — President Uhuru Kenyatta has urged the next administration from
using debt even as emphasized its importance as a key accelerator of
economic development.

Kenyatta, while delivering his last national event speech during the
Madaraka Day fete, defended the Jubilee administration's decision to borrow
more noting that it helped to "close our infrastructure gap and to connect
our markets."

"Our borrowing has surely been worthwhile and paid tangible dividends,"
Kenyatta defended the SGR project which he said moves three times more cargo
daily from Mombasa to neighboring countries and transports 10 times more
passengers with SGR at half the price and half the time.

In order to maintain the same tempo, Kenyatta said "the Fifth administration
should not shy away from using 'other people's

money. Debt, in a cleaned-up government, is an enabler, not a burden."

"On the part of My Administration, we used 'other people's money' to close
our infrastructure gap and to connect our markets. If it took a maize trader
3 days to travel from Kitale to the border of South Sudan, what we borrowed
ensures that it takes him now just 5 hours," he explained.

His remarks come even as the National Treasury has proposed an increase in
debt ceiling from the current Sh9 trillion to Sh10 trillion in order to
enable the Government to borrow more to finance the Sh3.33 trillion budget
for the 2022/23 financial year.

As of December 2021, Kenya's stock of public and publicly guaranteed debt
stood at Ksh8.02 trillion(USD 70.97 billion).

A huge chunk has gone to infrastructure projects, key of them being the
Standard Gauge Railway whose contracts, agreements and studies related to
the construction and operations of the SGR are not yet open to the public.

The 578.8km SGR project from Mombasa to Naivasha was built at a cost of Ksh
477 billion, it is the single largest project ever taken in the
country.-Capital FM

Libya Oil Firm Says Crude Gushing From Desert Pipeline

A broken pipeline in Libya is releasing thousands of barrels of oil into the
desert every day. The news is the latest blow to the country's struggling
oil sector.

Libyan authorities on Wednesday said a damaged pipeline linking the Sarir
oil field to terminal in the port of Tobruk was causing a serious leak into
the desert.

The damage comes at a time of political impasse that had crippled the
country's oil industry.

The tussle to control Africa's largest oil reserves has long been a feature
of Libya's protracted civil war.

What's behind the spill?

The Arabian Gulf Oil Company, the operator of the pipeline, estimates that
some 22,000 barrels a day are being lost from the leak, which began on
Tuesday. It posted footage of the spill and said an attempt to stop it was
underway.

The operator -- an affiliate of the state-run National Oil Corporation --
blamed a lack of maintenance and cited a budgetary delay.

Libya has been in turmoil since a NATO-backed uprising in 2011 that ousted
dictator Moammar Gadhafi. He was later killed.

The country has since become divided between rival governments, and many of
the country's oil fields and facilities have been forced to close.

One, in the east, is backed by military commander Khalifa Hifter, while a
UN-supported administration claims power from the capital, Tripoli.

Last month saw the most serious fighting in Libya since 2020, when Hifter's
forces waged a campaign to try to take the city. He had backing in that
effort from mercenaries from Russia's Wagner Group.

The country's eastern-based rival parliament in February named Fathi
Bashagha, a former interior minister and air force pilot, as prime minister.
His rival, Tripoli-based Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibah, has refused to
stand down and has said he will only hand over power to an elected
government.

Africa: 'Local Is King' - Africa's Online Platforms Take On Silicon Valley

Durban / Cairo — From online funeral service planning to voice-based
messaging, Africa's innovators are tapping local knowledge and cultures to
develop their own tech platforms

Plan a funeral, call out corruption or start a business - tough jobs all now
made easier by a generation of tech-savvy Africans tackling local problems
beyond the grasp of Big Tech.

It was frustration that pushed Tanzanian engineer Maxence Melo to launch an
anonymous, online whistleblowing platform after his appeals to media to
investigate an array of questionable mega-project contracts were met with
silence.

His JamiiForums website launched in 2006, unmasking the murky money trails
of Africa's rich and powerful, and now has more than 3 million visitors
daily.

It is just one of dozens of African digital platforms that innovators say
are doing what tech giants cannot - designing bespoke solutions for domestic
needs.

"Local is king, we know what local solutions we need for our own contexts,"
Melo told the Thomson Reuters Foundation by video from his office in Dar es
Salaam.

Despite challenges such as scarce internet access, funding gaps and
intermittent electricity, African entrepreneurs are harnessing the potential
of digital engagement, from online funeral services in Egypt to voice-based
messaging in Mali.

"Homegrown innovations reduce reliance on foreign technologies," said
Kathleen Ndongmo, a Cameroonian digital rights researcher and advocate, in a
video interview.

"We have the local talent and these homegrown solutions help with job
creation so talent can stay on the continent instead of leaving to work for
the tech giants."

DIGITAL MOURNING

Egyptian entrepreneur Ahmed Gaballah never thought he would work in the
death business, but the stress of helping a friend plan a burial led him to
rethink the funeral industry.

"It took us a lot of time to get the burial permit and we got lost on our
way to the burial site. It was a frustrating experience," Gaballah, 40, told
the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

His funeral-planning website SOKNA, which means tranquility in Arabic,
launched in 2019 as a one-stop shop that can ease some of the pressures
after a death, be it arranging body preparation, shrouding, transport or the
placing of obituaries.

Customer Noha Ibrahim, 55, said SOKNA had made the aftermath of her father's
sudden death more smooth and peaceful.

"They took care of every single thing starting from securing the burial
permit, the new and well-equipped van, managing transportation from the
hospital to the mosque then to the cemetery," said Ibrahim, who read about
SOKNA on Facebook.

While SOKNA now has about 3,000 customers and 76 employees, Gaballah says he
has seen countless digital startups crash and burn, largely due to scant
funding and poor internet connection.

"Tech giants like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram have all the attributes
required to have exponential growth," he said.

But Gaballah says none has his local expertise or insight.

"Most local entrepreneurs solve problems that they have already experienced
themselves," he added.

ORAL CULTURES

Another factor driving local innovation is language, said Ndongmo,
especially in a continent with more than 2,000 of them.

Malian developer Mamadou Sidibe witnessed the power of communication in
indigenous languages when he launched his 'vocal social network' service,
Lenali, in 2017.

It lets users message via voice notes that can be attached to images,
helping informal traders consume news and information and sell products
online.

A simple tool, it opened new horizons for many in Mali, helping the isolated
and illiterate find a voice, and bringing opportunities to small businesses
cut off from new markets.

"We have an oral culture and more than 100 dialects," said Sidibe.

"One of the ways to be innovative is not to copy what is done in Europe or
the U.S. - in general, we need to adapt everything to our own cultural
reality."

Fewer than a third of Malians can read and write, according to the World
Bank.

Lenali has been downloaded 150,000 times in 118 countries from Brazil to Sri
Lanka to Russia, Sidibe said.

"We also teach literacy courses on the app. Our goal is not to maintain low
literacy - our goal is to make teaching, tech and business accessible,"
Sidibe said of his ad-backed platform.

DATA SOVEREIGNTY

Big tech has come under fire for harvesting and selling users' data by the
world's main central bank umbrella group, the Bank for International
Settlements, as well as activists against algorithmic bias and racism.

This is an opportunity for local innovators to do things differently, said
Melo, who has fought in court for over a decade to protect whistleblowers'
data despite the government repeatedly demanding JamiiForums hand it over.

Ndongmo said her biggest fear for the future of Africa's innovation is
government crackdown on online resistance.

"You cannot innovate around repressive policy," she said.

Melo has racked up 159 court challenges by Tanzania's government for
exposing corruption. But his refusal to buckle has paid off.

New leadership in Tanzania has opened consultations with Melo to draft
frameworks that will better protect free speech.

Creating room for digital innovation does not mean that platforms should go
unmonitored, said Sidibe, who employs a handful of people to check every
Lenali post to root out hate speech, porn or danger.

Like JamiiForums, Lenali follows strict policies to protect users' data
rights and ensure their privacy.

"Big tech companies are interested in big data so that they can do business
with your data ... they are interested in profit, not truth," said Melo.

Nothing wrong with profits, he said, but not at users' expense if Africa's
wave of startups is to endure, thrive - and take its place at the table
alongside Big Tech.

"It's about the content you create, not about how much we can generate from
you. It's about the kind of information you can put on the platform to help
others," Melo said.

This story is one in a series supported by Mozilla and Omidyar Network's
Powering Local Innovation initiative, which aims to deepen the conversation
around technology innovation in different regions in the Global
South.-Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

Date & Time

Companies under Cautionary

ART

PPC

Starafrica

Fidelity

Turnall

Medtech

Zimre

Nampak Zimbabwe

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2022 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email:
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell: +263 77
344 1674