Entrepreneurship Zone: 24 April 2023 :: Water systems engineer, scaling heights in the entrepreneurial world: Trevor Muzungu

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Mon Apr 24 03:40:40 CAT 2023

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com/> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<http://www.bulls.co.zw/blog> Bullish Thoughts
<http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Entrepreneurship Zone: 24 April 2023 ::  Water systems engineer, scaling
heights in the entrepreneurial world: Trevor Muzungu

*

 <mailto:zitfmktg at zitf.co.zw> Building a business that stemmed from passion
and hardwork has helped Trevor Muzungu in various ways. His passion,
inspired his vision of establishing AQUADOC.

Muzungu is a hardworking, passionate and hands on Water systems engineer
who established AQUADOC in 2021.  Before becoming a young entrepreneur,
Muzungu worked for Zimbabwe Power Company (ZPC) in Bulawayo as a Quality
Control Assistant from 2017-2019. In February 2019 end of year to 2021
worked for PEPSI Co-Zimbabwe as a Quality Control Engineer/Inspector. He is
a qualified Chemical and processing engineer from National University of
Science and Technology (NUST) Zimbabwe.

Because he has worked on various notable projects, Muzungu has been on a
meteoric rise. In 2019 one of his projects made headlines at the prestigious
Zimbabwe International Trade Fair (ZITF). In a bid to necessitate value
addition in lithium, Muzungu and team developed a pilot plant to process
petite ore to lithium carbonate.  The project became the project of the year

The birth of AQUADOC

We live in an age of disruption as such it is imperative for entrepreneurs
to seize emerging opportunities in order for them to thrive. Muzungu started
his entrepreneurial venture through capitalizing on the opportunities
presented to him.

He said: “There was a year when I was in high school, and I was admitted at
a local hospital due to a running stomach which was a result of drinking dam
water. That experience pushed me to start working on water treatment
projects as a student at NUST.

“During my tenure at ZPC, the department I worked in was using carbon ash
from coal to remove hard elements and heavy metals before disposal of water.
This opportunity shed more light on water treatment.

“When I joined PEPSI Co-Zimbabwe, I was motivated to start my own water
treatment plant for packaging because the equipment was so modern, and I
then told myself one day I will have my own huge plant.”

Together with his co-business partner Oliver, they embarked on a mission to
be part of providing clean, affordable and sustainable water for domestic
and industrial purposes.

“From our research we then realized that we can surely provide our fellow
citizens with water quality solutions. We started providing solutions to
people who cannot afford to drill a borehole but still want quality water.
We used modern nanotechnology nonchemical water treatment solutions.

“Seeing these water quality problems and solving them without fear and
doubt gave me the courage to start AQUADOC. The name came from one of our
clients who commented that “Surely you are a water doctor,’” he said.

Sailing through uncertainty

The road to establishing AQUADOC was a battle for Muzungu as he experienced
a fair share of doubts and challenges.

“The doubts were there as we started taking the risk of trying to offer
solutions to water problems but encouragement from family and friends made
me strong. One of my pillars of strength is my wife Vimbai who is also a
shareholder of AQUADOC.

“She doesn’t allow me to fail and she in believes me. Apart from being
motivated and encouraged, I possess a fierce character of being a risk taker
make sure I do everything I can to make sure I have victory in the
battlefield. Prayer and fasting has also helped me a lot to conquer my fears
and doubts because I have built my foundation on GOD,” he pointed out.

Scope of activities at AQUADOC

There has been crippling water crisis in Zimbabwe, according to Human
Rights Watch more than half of the population of Harare’s greater
metropolitan area have no access to clean water.

Speaking on that he said: “AQUADOC aims to work with everyone because water
is a basic need, and we cannot live without quality water. One of the major
causes of cancer in our generation is the unclean water we are consuming
daily.

“Modernization of industry has caused a huge impact on our water sources,
and this has caused so many sources of water to be contaminated by heavy
metals and microbial which are harmful elements to our health. Although,
government introduced the WASH programs to try and solve the water crisis,
the quality aspect is what is still lacking, hence AQUADOC is coming with
sustainable drinking water solutions to make sure everyone has quality water
for drinking.

“We are aiming homeowners, NGO’s, offices, communities and those who want
to venture into water business for resale. We install water treatment plants
to suit the expectations and demands of our clients.”

Of risk taking and utilizing chances

Without a clear exit strategy and security, Muzungu made a risky choice and
resigned from PEPSI Co-Zimbabwe.

“I left the company without a solid plan on how I was going to make it. I
had financial challenges to start the company and many of my clients whom I
sold the idea to wanted to see the product first of which I didn’t have any
stock in place. This caused me to make hard decisions, I had to sell my car
to buy water treatment plants. After I had stock in place, business started
to take steps that I noted, and it made me boost some confidence as I could
see some profits coming in.

“One of the major challenges I am still facing as a small business is
sometimes, I meet clients who want bigger systems for commercial use but
capital to have such in stock is still a challenge hence we tend to lose
clients because a client cannot trust what they are not seeing. I have also
realized that my target market needs to be educated about the importance of
quality water and its benefits. Many people need our services, but they are
not aware of how our services work and the treatment solutions we have for
them,” he stated.

Leveraging technology in mitigating water crisis

AQUADOC is moving with technology and their systems are non-chemical water
treatment plants. They use electrical energy and pressure to remove water
contaminants. Conventional methods of the water treatment encompasses of
chemical treatment for sterilization and removal of contaminants.

“…but now because of technology there are better ways to treat our water
from different water sources using the nanotechnology nonchemical water
treatment. This technology has made it possible for homeowners to drink
mineral bottled water quality direct from the faucet in their comfortable
homes. The domestic system has been on high demand because it is affordable,
modern and sustainable,” Muzungu affirmed.

Sleeves up, hands on leadership approach

The astute entrepreneur is positioning himself as a great leader in the
organization because he leads by example.  He adopted this philosophy of
leadership because he believes it breeds a room for growth and a healthy
working environment.

“I am a hands-on person in the organization. I work together with my other
technicians, and II always make sure I am present on site to demonstrate how
we are supposed to deliver good quality job to our client at all times. I am
the CEO of AQUADOC, I am also a technical engineer and I make sure I learn
more skills from my technicians each time we go out to carry out a project.
I make sure I give my employees an opportunity to showcase their best
abilities whilst monitoring their progress and learning from them.

 “I always make sure that the administration team are free to suggest what
they think it’s good for our own growth and before making a final decision.
I also consult my mentors Miss Natasha Muzungu and  Dr Rinos Mautsa,” he
added.

Socialization and establishing culture

He said: “My background as a child moulded me to be a hardworking,
passionate, patient and a goal getter person. Apart from my background my
mentors have taught me a lot about business. From their teachings I have
developed a great culture.”

Dreams, hopes and aspiration

Speaking on what keeps him at night, he said: “I have a lot to accomplish
in life, but my major wish is to see everyone having access to clean quality
water. This gives me sleepless nights thinking how best this dream can come
true. I believe success comes from praying, hard work, faith and most
importantly believing in yourself that you can make it. Never stop trying to
do something because the next person says it does not work or it does not
make sense. Believe in yourself and ask God to guide you and help you to
surround yourself with people who motivate you, encourage you and cheer
every step you take.

“I am looking forward to retirement at the age of 50 years. By that time, I
would have groomed my successor and I would have grown the company into a
multibillion company. “

KEY TAKEAWAYS ON INTERNATIONAL MEN’S DAY:  This gives me a challenge to be
a real man. Being a man means everything is possible. On this day I
encourage every man to take the lead and fight their fears and doubts by
starting to do something that is aligned to their vision or dream. Life
needs us men to lead, and as men we should not be scared to take risks. We
should take calculated risks as we create a future for next generations.

PARTING ADVICE TO ASPIRING AND STARTING UP ENTREPREPRENEURS: As
entrepreneurs starting up businesses, we should ensure that there is a
balance between our businesses, our employees and our environment at the
same time making a profit. The water business we have embarked on as AQUADOC
if implemented well it can reduce the exploitation of underground water
through borehole drilling hence conserving the underground water for the
coming generations. The machines we use are sustainable because they do not
use chemicals which might influence our environment hence it is technology,
but which is environmentally sustainable. As entrepreneurs we should always
have in mind that as much as we want to maximize on growing and making
profit, it is also our duty to make sure our environment is being exploited
in a manner that generations to come are still able to use the same
resources we are using today.-Entremagazine.co.zw

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2023 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email: