Construction and Property Corner ::: 10 August 2023

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Thu Aug 10 09:30:17 CAT 2023

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/> Bullish
Thoughts        <http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Construction and Property  Corner ::: 10 August 2023

ü  Mataga revels in model hospital

ü  New Mbamba Clinic brings cheer to Tsholotsho villagers

ü  FC Funds South African Bank to Finance Green Buildings

ü  Uganda, Kenya hope to raise $6bn to restart Mombasa railway

ü  UAE tops GCC as Africa’s key FDI provider

ü  ‘$39 billion needed annually to tackle Africa’s infrastructure deficit’

ü  AI Student Housing in Cape Town

ü  Egypt's Arab Developers Holding allocates $32mln for construction in 2023

ü  Dearborn Play Area Improvement Project Begins Construction

ü  United Arab Emirates (UAE) Construction Industry Report 2023:
Transforming the UAE - 'We the UAE 2031' Vision to Propel Construction
Projects

ü  Construction outputs stand at JD1.7 billion, sector employs 17,000 — JCI

ü  City identifies $22 million for controversial Phase III jail construction

ü  North Carolina construction company pays $1.6M following DOL
misclassification lawsuit

ü  Egypt's Arab Developers Holding allocates $32mln for construction in 2023

ü  Airtel Kenya to invest $150mln to expand network coverage – report

ü  Egypt's NCB Developments launches Valencia residential compound in New
Cairo

ü  Iraq to build first religious tourism city

 <https://www.willdale.co.zw/> Mataga revels in model hospital

Villagers in Mataga, Mberengwa East Constituency in Mberengwa District, are
revelling in yet another high-impact delivery by the Second Republic after
Government yesterday announced the completion of the 20-bed Mataga
Mini-Hospital.

The mini-hospital, with a target catchment area of 61 000 was built as part
of an agreement between the Government of Zimbabwe through the Ministry of
Health and Child Care and a British contractor, NMS Infrastructure (NMSI)
Limited.

Under the agreement signed in September 2019, NMSI was tasked with the full
turnkey designing, construction and equipping of five new 60-bed District
Hospitals and thirty new 20-bed Health Centres with all expenses bone by the
Government of Zimbabwe.

Initially funded with a US$210 million purse, the project is part of
President Mnangagwa’s universal health coverage program with which he is
championing the availing of quality healthcare services and specialties
closer to the populace.

Vice President and Minister of Health and Child Care Dr Constantino
Chiwenga, who was in Mberengwa yesterday for a presidium rally meant to drum
up support for President Mnangagwa and ruling party candidates ahead of
harmonized elections slated for 23 August, toured the health centre in the
company of NMSI officials and expressed his happiness with its construction
and equipping.

The VP said as Government makes strides with President Mnangagwa’s health
facilities building and expansion project, the result will be better patient
management as well as decongesting of General and Central Hospitals thus
increasing their efficiency.

He said it is a journey Zimbabwe is well on course with and through which
the country has drawn international commendation from international health
bodies.

“As you are aware, our emphasis has been to reach every corner of our
country but more importantly starting with those places which had been
neglected for a long time, which did not have medical facilities closer to
the people yet those areas are populated,” said VP Chiwenga.

“So, these hospitals which we are putting across the country, are meant to
bridge our clinics and health points with our district hospitals.

“This hospital here at Mataga has almost everything. A patient can come and
get almost everything they want, yes the specialized treatment will then be
referred but we are saying the person will have already been stabilised.

“So, I am quite thrilled to see the completion of this hospital. Just a few
little things are outstanding mainly medical stocks and equipment, which
once in, we will be ready to take in our patients,” he said.

Chief Mataga – born Malaini Nkomo said the completion of the health facility
augurs well for the general improvement of life in Mataga as it means people
don’t need to always travel long distances to district and general hospitals
to get quality medical services.

“I am happy that Government has brought this hospital here,” said Chief
Mataga.

“Our People will benefit immensely from this facility through quality
healthcare. We want to thank the President for delivering such a very
important project,” he said.

Chief Mposi, born Edmos Mpangeri, said the manner in which Government is
delivering on people’s needs endears it well with the people.

He warned people not to expect all their needs to be delivered at once
saying Government needs time to attend to people’s issues but what is
important is to note the great work done so far in a short space of time.

“Who doesn’t want a Government like this that delivers on its promises?”
queried Chief Mposi.

“I am happy that quality healthcare services are coming closer to where our
people live. This is the development we have always been clamouring for.

“Of course, you cannot have it all in one day, but the trajectory and
implementation speed is very encouraging,” he counselled.

Ms Sibongile Tshelela from Chamakudo village said on August 23 she will
“vote for Mataga Hospital.”

“23 August I am going to vote for this hospital,” said Ms Tshelela, “whoever
knows that he delivered this hospital can count on my vote.

“We just need a Government that is responsive to our needs and I am glad
that Zanu PF is doing just that. The ballot booth doesn’t operate on
miracles, it is just a place where people choose whoever furthers their
aspirations and President Mnangagwa has done well to win our hearts,” she
said.

Another villager, Mr Talent Gumbo from Mataga said President Mnangagwa has
done his work and now it was up to the electorate to do theirs.

“Government is doing very well,” said Mr Gumbo, “In my case, I don’t want to
lie, I really never saw this coming, there we never got any promises despite
the obvious need. The Government just came and hit the ground running.

“It’s not about the hospital alone, there have been delivering on every
front. In agriculture we are getting support like never before, roads are
being attended, and our kids are getting textbooks in schools. Everything
has just been brought back to life under President Mnangagwa,” he said.

NMS Infrastructure Limited Director of Business Development for Sub-Saharan
Africa, Mr Alistair Johnston echoed VP Chiwenga’s sentiments and also
debunked an opposition-championed misconception that the health facilities’
construction is donor funded.

“This project we have been doing, there are actually 30 of these hospitals
and five 60-bed district hospitals,” said Mr Johnston.

“The Government of Zimbabwe is the one that actually chatted these things,
that is actually paying as well.

“These things will be completed in two years’ time, we are now waiting for
the first two sites which we will be deploying in about three weeks’ time
for the two District Hospitals, one in Esigodini and one in Hwedza. So those
two hospital sites will be starting very shortly.

“This hospital is ready to open, we are waiting for some small pieces to
come up from South Africa, unfortunately, they have slightly delayed but
within two weeks all the equipment will be here and this hospital will be
ready to operate,” said Mr Johnston.-herald

New Mbamba Clinic brings cheer to Tsholotsho villagers

GOVERNMENT yesterday handed over a new Mbamba Clinic to Tsholotsho Rural
District Council at a colourful ceremony that was attended by senior
Government and Zimbabwe Defence Forces (ZDF) officials, community members
and traditional leaders.

The clinic is one of the 2023 ZDF community assistance projects that were
implemented during the  ZDF Community Assistance Week.

The  spirit and purpose of the community assistance week is to foster
cordial civil-military relations, engender self-reliance and educate members
of the public on the role of the ZDF during peacetime.

The  ZDF marks the week by conducting short-term health, construction and
maintenance projects nationwide.

The  clinic was built using funds mobilised by the community, mainly those
based outside the country as well as Constituency Development Funds (CDF)
with the army providing builders and other skilled personnel.

Perm Sec Mr Aaron Nhepera

Zimbabweans in the diaspora provided most of the building materials, which
included 600 bags of cement, 10 loads of pit sand, brickforce and other
building materials. Members of the community provided labour.

Prior to the construction of the clinic, villagers were travelling more than
10km to Bhubhude  Clinic while others travelled about 20km to Makhaza
Clinic. In some cases, the sick were forced to seek services at  Tsholotsho
District Hospital.

Ministry of Defence and War Veterans Affairs permanent secretary, Mr Aaron
Nhepera handed over the clinic to the council on behalf of the ZDF.

He said the successful completion of the clinic was another milestone in
Government’s efforts to promote a vibrant service delivery framework in
previously marginalised areas such as Tsholotsho.

“Tsholotsho District has witnessed the implementation of a number of such
projects and programmes in the past such as the issuance of registration
documents to the San community, which was launched by the Ministry of Home
Affairs and Cultural Heritage,” said Mr Nhepera.

He said ZDF worked jontly with the council and the community to construct
Mbamba Clinic.

Mr Nhepera said the synergy and cooperation among stakeholders buttressed
President Mnangagwa’s philosophy that ‘‘Ilizwe lakhiwa ngabaninilo/nyika
inovakwa nevene vayo.”

He said the community assistance programme was one of the ZDF’s top
priorities during peacetime and is meant to create a symbiotic and mutually
beneficial relations between ZDF and the communities they serve.

Mr Nhepera said the construction of Mbamba Clinic had brought health
services close to the people.

He said the modernisation of health facilities was one of the key
deliverables of Vision 2030 hence the ZDF was working with other
stakeholders to improve health facilities.

Ward 15 councilor Morris Ndlovu

Ward 15 councillor, Morris Ndlovu, said the clinic was a fulfilment of the
Second Republic’s philosophy of leaving no place and no one behind.

“It’s unfortunate that my predecessors since 1980 didn’t take it upon
themselves to mobilise locals towards the construction of such an important
facility. I am happy that our oneness has taken us this far,” he sad.

Since 2017 when the Second Republic came in, four clinics were built
Tsholotsho and these are Jowa, Inala, Chibizela and Mbamba.

Senior army officials led by Major General Hlanganani Dube, Chief
Mahlathini, Senator Alice Dube, Tsholotsho Rural District Council
chairperson, Esau Siwela, chief executive officer Mr Nkululeko Sibanda, and
District Development Coordinator Mr Aaron Gono were among those that
witnessed the clinic handover.-herald

FC Funds South African Bank to Finance Green Buildings

The International Finance Corporation (IFC) is lending $236Million to Absa,
a Johannesburg-based banking group, “to expand its residential and
commercial lending programme and mortgage financing for environmentally
friendly buildings”.

The funding is expected to promote the IFC’s Design Excellence for Greater
Efficiency (DEGE) programme to property developers. This certification
encourages the design of buildings that save resources, particularly water
and electricity.

It should enable Absa to strengthen its climate finance commitments to its
large customer base spread across the African continent (Tanzania,
Seychelles, Mauritius, etc.).

Adamou Labara, the IFC’s Country Manager in South Africa, says “the
incentives are funded by the IFC-UK Market Accelerator for Green
Construction (MAGC) programme, which is sponsored by the UK, to develop
green construction in emerging markets by encouraging financial
intermediaries to develop and introduce new green construction finance
products.”

These investments will contribute directly to South Africa’s Nationally
Determined Contribution (NDC) targets under the Paris Agreement.

Absa  had earlier received $150Million from IFC in 2021, a facility which
was South Africa’s first certified green loan. The lender is a major
financial partners of the government’s Renewable Energy Independent Power
Producer Procurement Programme (REIPPP).

Uganda, Kenya hope to raise $6bn to restart Mombasa railway

Uganda and Kenya are seeking at least $6bn to restart work on the standard
gauge railway (SGR) to connect central Africa to the port of Mombasa.

China financed the first phases of the project but has been reluctant to
back the continuation of the line to Uganda and beyond.

The East African news site reports that the two countries hope to resume the
project in  December. Their transport ministers have agreed to work together
on attracting investment over the next four months.

At present, the line runs from Mombasa to Nairobi, and then some 90km
northwest to the town of Naivasha. The second phase of the SGR was to have
laid track between Nairobi as far as Malaba, on the Ugandan border.

Meanwhile, Uganda is planning to build a $2.6bn link between Malaba and its
capital, Kampala. From there, the line will eventually branch out to the
Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, and South Sudan.

The search for finance

Kenyan transport minister Kipchumba Murkomen said his government was hoping
to interest foreign lenders in the scheme.

“We are now going for financiers either from Europe or the UAE, or whoever
comes with a good deal for our people in East Africa,” he said.

According to The East African, the UAE may invest in the line to Malaba in
return for a stake in Kenya’s Port of Mombasa.

Kenya has had difficulties repaying the Chinese loans it took out to pay for
the $3.6bn Nairobi-to-Mombasa line.

In Kampala, the line will be built by Yapi Merkezi, the Turkish contractor
that is also building Tanzania’s rival SGR to the African interior, in
association with China Civil Engineering, China Railway Construction
Company, and Portugal’s Mota-Engil.

A deal on financing is hoped for by 1 November. Ugandan officials will seek
help from export credit guarantee agencies, possibly led by the UK’s Export
Finance agency.

In November 2022, Uganda formally terminated its contract with China Harbour
Engineering Company (see further reading).

UAE tops GCC as Africa’s key FDI provider

The UAE has become Africa's largest provider of foreign direct investment
(FDI) among the GCC states, investing $59.4 billion in the continent’s key
growth sectors in a decade. The latest report by property consultant firm
Knight Frank shows that the UAE remains focused on the continent’s
high-growth sectors such as infrastructure, energy, transport, logistics,
and technology.

Leading African publications, including Business Insider Africa and The East
African, reported that the rapid rise of the UAE as a key FDI provider
places the second-largest Arab economy in the ranks of global giants,
sparking competition in the African market. As a result of the impact of the
US, India, Russia, and China on the continent, as well as Abu Dhabi's rise,
there will be greater rivalry in the African market of 1.2 billion people.

Africa is fast becoming one of the most important markets for Abu Dhabi,
which invested $5.6 billion in 71 projects in the continent in 2021, with
the most significant being The Agtech Park in Egypt, the reports said.
Dubai’s DP World operates seaports in Angola, Djibouti, Egypt, Morocco,
Mozambique, Senegal and Somaliland.

According to White & Case, FDI flows from the GCC states to Africa totalled
$101.9 billion on 628 projects between 2012 and 2022, whereas FDI flows from
Africa to the GCC states totalled $3.0 billion on 141 projects. While FDI
from the UAE to Africa totalled $59.4 billion during the time, Saudi Arabia
came in second ($25.6 billion), followed by Qatar ($7.2 billion), Kuwait ($5
billion), and Bahrain ($4.2 billion). The top five destination countries for
FDI inflows from the GCC to Africa between 2012 and 2022 are Egypt ($69.8
billion), Morocco ($4.6 billion), Algeria ($3 billion), Nigeria ($2.6
billion) and South Africa ($2.3 billion).

The top five sectors of FDI inflows include construction ($36.2 billion),
environmental technology ($31.7 billion), energy ($10.1 billion), transport
and warehousing ($6.6 billion) and agribusiness ($3.2 billion).

India is also attempting to influence trade on the continent. It is now one
of the top five investors in Africa, with about $ 74 billion of investments.
In 2022 India organized a two-day investment conference in New Delhi that
included around 40 African officials from 17 different countries to talk
about how India and Africa might better improve trade and investment. While
India seeks to strengthen trade ties through a strategic investment
conference, Beijing has pumped billions of dollars into Africa, building
roads, bridges, and power installations in return for access to markets and
resources, during the past two decades. It has an estimated portfolio of
$154 billion worth of infrastructure projects. China’s trade with the
continent increased 35 per cent to $254 billion in 2021 mainly due to an
increase in Chinese exports.

‘$39 billion needed annually to tackle Africa’s infrastructure deficit’

All is set for the 1st Regional Summit of the World Council of Civil
Engineers (WCCE) tagged Afrisummit 2023 with the Theme: “Infrastructure
Deficit and The Challenge of Development in SubSahara Africa”, which will
hold at the International Conference Centre (ICC), Abuja on Thursday, 10th
and Friday 11th August, 2023.

The two-day summit according to the organisers will focus on issues
surrounding infrastructural development in Africa as speakers from Ethiopia,
Ghana, Liberia and the United States expected to address participants that
will have in attendance among others the governor of Nasarawa State,
Engineer Abdullahi Sule who will be the special guest of honour and the
President of the WCCE, Jorge Emilio Abramian as chairman of the event.

Addressing the media at WCCE Africa Office in Abuja on Wednesday, the
Continental Representative of WCCE for Africa, Engineer (Dr) Aishatu Aliyu
Umar, said the huge economic and potential of the African continent was
being hampered by infrastructure deficit wedge on the path of its growth and
development.

Aliyu Umar said the lack and shortage of investments in infrastructure in
Africa is evident in limited access to power, telecommunications, efficient
transportation systems, security of lives and properties, road networks,
portable water supply and others. She however added a whole lot is required
for infrastructure in Africa to fill the available gaps for the growth of
the continent.

“Despite the huge economic and political potentials of Africa,
infrastructure deficit is a wedge on the path of growth and development.
Currently, there are limited access to power, telecommunications, efficient
transportation systems, security of lives and properties, road networks,
portable water supply, etc. The physical structures that support the smooth
running of the African Society are in short supply compared with demand.

“Investments in Infrastructure have consistently lagged behind the huge
demand. Electricity is only accessible to about 40% of the population, a
third of the rural population has access to roads while only 5% of
agriculture is under irrigation.

“Looking at Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) number 9 which demands, the
development of quality, reliable, sustainable and resilient infrastructure,
a whole lot are required for infrastructure in Africa to fill the available
gaps. Moreso, with a population of over 1.1 billion people, and requiring
over 39 billion dollars annual infrastructure expenditure running through
the next decades, a herculean task is before the various governments in
Africa.

“It is because of the aforementioned that experts have been drawn from
across the globe to identify the deficits, challenges posed and proffer
solutions that would help African governments with policy reforms in this
regard. Given the array of experts particularly in the field of Civil
Engineering as resource persons, and the response of engineers and built
industry professionals in terms of registration for the summit, there is no
doubt that it is headed for outstanding success.”

The chairman, Summit Planning Committee and a former national chairman of
the Nigeria Society of Civil Engineers (NICE), Dr Robie James Owivry, in an
interview with Nigerian Tribune said the summit will take into consideration
on how to put an end to incessant building collapse not just in Nigeria but
in Africa, construction of good and durable road network, constant power
generation and others through robust presentations that will be discussed by
the speakers and the communiqué made available to the media at the end of
the summit.

“As we are all aware, the issue of building collapse is a recurring decimal.
In recent times in our country and elsewhere in Africa, this is a problem
that has been identified. With the theme of the summit, it is very clear
that we are ready to address and tackle that. Parts of the challenges we are
taking about in terms of development goes hand in hand with the problem of
building collapse.

“This summit, as I speak with you, has well-researched papers that will be
presented during the program. And I can assure you that we have germane
solutions to these challenges. I don’t want to preempt what this summit will
give us in the next couple of days but rest assured that there are
well-researched papers that will address these issues adequately so that by
the time we are done with this program, the issues of challenges attached to
building collapse will be a thing of the past,” Owivry told Nigerian
Tribune.

AI Student Housing in Cape Town

The Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) and the rapid progression of
Artificial Intelligence (AI) have orchestrated a profound metamorphosis
across diverse industries, including the realm of architecture and design.
This article delves into the profound influence and application of AI and
4IR methodologies within a student housing conceptual design situated in
Cape Town, South Africa.

AI Student Housing

Given the substantial influx of students from various corners of South
Africa and Africa, the architectural proposal aspires to encapsulate their
distinctive cultural narratives. Central to this endeavor, local artisans
are poised to play a pivotal role in fashioning distinctive motifs for the
building’s façade panels, artistic installations, and illuminative fixtures.
Through the amalgamation of 3D scanning, CNC technology, 3D printing,
Building Information Modeling (BIM), and augmented reality on-site, the
construction process is enriched with heightened efficiency and
adaptability. This, in turn, underpins a hybrid construction composed of
concrete, steel, and timber—a composition predisposed for future
customization and deconstruction.

AI Student Housing

Harmonizing Culture with Architectural Design

The student housing initiative in Cape Town extends a fertile platform for
the fusion of African architectural traditions with contemporary
construction paradigms. By interweaving indigenous cultural facets into the
blueprint, the edifice endeavors to engender an all-embracing and welcoming
milieu for students hailing from diverse corners and cultural legacies
across Africa. This harmonious integration fosters a profound sense of
belonging and resonance, thereby infusing the space with a homely aura even
when situated far from the students’ places of origin.

AI Student Housing

Indigenous Artistry and AI-Infused Creations

Central to the envisaged architectural embodiment is the profound engagement
of local artisans. These adept craftsmen wield an intimate understanding of
their cultural lineage and artistic heritage, rendering them the
quintessential custodians of façade designs, artworks, and luminous
embellishments. By harnessing the capabilities of these artisans, the
architectural blueprint becomes a veritable tableau of African culture, each
stroke contributing a distinctive narrative that resonates with the student
inhabitants.

AI Student Housing

AI Catalysts in Design Realization

The swift materialization of the architectural vision owes much to AI tools
like Midjourney’s text-to-image platform and Runway Gen-2 image-to-video
platform. These AI-driven solutions have democratized the design trajectory
for smaller architectural entities, furnishing an economical and streamlined
avenue to craft captivating visual assets for client presentations. The
union of local artistry and AI-empowered visualizations achieves an
exquisite equilibrium between legacy and modernity.

AI Student Housing

Precision Replication via 3D Scanning and Scaling

To propagate the artistic designs curated by indigenous artisans, the
deployment of 3D scanning technology takes center stage. The intricate
nuances and cultural essences captured by these scanners remain unscathed
during the crucial scaling process, ensuring an immaculate replication that
safeguards the integrity of the designs across the architectural expanse.

AI Student Housing

CNC Precision and 3D Printing Ingenuity

The ascendance of CNC technology and 3D printing has instigated a paradigm
shift in architectural fabrication. These techniques expedite the creation
of intricate designs in a cost-effective and time-efficient manner. By
assimilating these methodologies into the venture, the edifice harmonizes
design components seamlessly, securing consistency and aesthetic allure.

AI Student Housing

BIM Fusion and Augmented Reality Efficacy

The integration of Building Information Modeling (BIM) propels seamless
synergies among architects, engineers, and construction teams. BIM optimizes
design and construction trajectories, curtailing errors while augmenting
efficiency. Additionally, on-site augmented reality empowers construction
personnel by overlaying digital models onto physical reality, furnishing
real-time navigational cues during the erection phase. This integration
augments precision and expedites construction timelines, simultaneously
curtailing waste and financial outlays.

Hybrid Construction: Catalyst for Flexibility

The proposed construction paradigm features a judicious amalgamation of
concrete, steel, and timber—a hybrid archetype that underscores structural
robustness, durability, and ecological sustainability while mitigating
environmental impact. The pliability inherent to this construction schema
engenders prospective adaptability, a foundational tenet catering to
evolving student and communal requisites over time.

AI Student Housing

The assimilation of AI and 4IR methodologies within architecture and design
has heralded an epoch of boundless creativity and operational efficiency.
Contextualized within the framework of the student housing concept in Cape
Town, South Africa, these technological facets converge to seamlessly weave
local cultural threads with modern construction ideologies. With local
artisans at the helm and AI-driven visualizations at play, the endeavor
splendidly encapsulates the cultural tapestry, presenting an economically
viable and captivating architectural vision to the clientele. The
incorporation of 3D scanning, CNC technology, and 3D printing guarantees the
flawless replication of intricate designs, while BIM amalgamation and
augmented reality refine the construction process. Ultimately, this student
housing endeavor stands as a luminary, epitomizing how AI and 4IR
methodologies democratize architecture—a harmonious interplay of tradition
and modernity set against the African backdrop.

Egypt's Arab Developers Holding allocates $32mln for construction in 2023

Egypt’s Arab Developers Holding has made a capex outlay of one billion
Egyptian pounds ($32 million) for construction work in 2023, the company's
chairman said.

Gamal Fathallah told Zawya Projects that the EGX-listed developer is
planning to deliver 500 units during 2023.

The company achieved sales of EGP1.3 billion ($42 million) during the first
quarter of 2023, compared to EGP316 million ($10 million) during the same
quarter of last year. The company sold 503 units and delivered 172 units in
the first quarter of 2023.

Fathallah that construction is underway on 5 million sqm of land, adding
that they have set a sales revenue target of EGP5 billion ($162 million) for
2023.

(1 US Dollar = 30.91 Egyptian Pounds)

Dearborn Play Area Improvement Project Begins Construction

Seattle Parks and Recreation is happy to announce the beginning of
construction for Dearborn Play Area. W.S. Contractors, LLC, the contractor
on the project, will mobilize onsite on Tuesday, August 22 and close the
play area as they begin construction. We anticipate the play area will open
in spring 2024 when the improvement project is complete.

The project is focused on installing new play equipment and improving access
to the play area. The project has a forest theme with new ‘Nature Play’ play
equipment, swings, picnic tables, plus improved accessibility. This design
is based on the feedback we heard from our community meeting and two
surveys.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the public process and thank you
for your support and cooperation during construction. Dearborn Park is
located at 2919 S Brandon St. on Beacon Hill just north of the Dearborn Park
Elementary School and east of Martin Luther King Jr. Way S.

United Arab Emirates (UAE) Construction Industry Report 2023: Transforming
the UAE - 'We the UAE 2031' Vision to Propel Construction Projects

UAE's construction industry to expand by 3.3% in real terms this year,
following an annual growth of 2% in 2022, supported by improvements in the
country's oil receipts, investment in renewable energy projects in line with
the 2050 net zero target, growth in the real estate sector, and deepening
regional integration.

The industry is expected to register average annual growth of 3.9% from 2024
to 2027, supported by investment in infrastructure, renewable energy, oil
and gas, housing, industrial and tourism projects. The government announced
a plan in November 2022 to implement a series of projects aimed at
accelerating the UAE's development and transforming it into a comprehensive
hub in all sectors, as part of the 'We the UAE 2031" vision.

As part of this vision, the government aims to double the country's GDP from
AED1.5 trillion ($408.7 billion) in 2022 to AED3 trillion ($816.9 billion)
by 2031, increase the country's non-oil exports to AED800 billion ($217.8
billion), and raise the contribution of the tourism sector to the country's
GDP to AED450 billion ($122.5 billion) by 2031.

This report provides detailed market analysis, information, and insights
into the UAE construction industry, including:

The UAE construction industry's growth prospects by market, project type,
and construction activity

Critical insight into the impact of industry trends and issues, as well as
an analysis of key risks and opportunities in the UAE construction industry

Analysis of the mega-project pipeline, focusing on development stages and
participants, in addition to listings of major projects in the pipeline

Construction outputs stand at JD1.7 billion, sector employs 17,000 — JCI

AMMAN —  The construction sector has an annual production output of nearly
JD1.7 billion, representing 10 per cent of the country's total industrial
output, according to a recent report issued by the Jordan Chamber of
Industry (JCI) on Wednesday.

The construction sector contributes approximately 2.2 per cent to the Gross
Domestic Product (GDP), which is driven by a value-added component exceeding
JD850 million.

The report also revealed that the sector attracted investments of JD2.1
billion, with 2,600 nationwide establishments, employing more than 17,000
people, or 6.4 per cent of the total industrial workforce.

About 72 per cent of the construction workforce is composed of local
workers.

The sector's dominance in the local market accounted for 85.6 per cent of
total local construction product consumption. It is self-sufficient in
several key products, particularly cement.

The report also highlights the sector's global reach, as it has reached
markets in 35 countries with over 70 products.

In addition, the sector's exports, totalling some JD89 million in the first
five months of the current year, showed a 52 per cent increase, accounting
for 2.7 per cent of industrial exports, and 2.6 per cent of total national
exports.

City identifies $22 million for controversial Phase III jail construction

To build the new “Phase III” jail will take money from parks and
playgrounds, building maintenance and energy-efficient upgrades, according
to a “proposed bond reallocation list,” created by Mayor LaToya Cantrell’s
capital-projects administration.

Cantrell, Sheriff Susan Hutson, and many other city officials are outspoken
in their opposition to its construction, citing concerns over both its cost
and design.

Yet U.S. District Judge Lance Africk – who oversees the jail’s consent
decree, with federal Magistrate Judge Michael North – mandated that the city
build Phase III to provide long-overdue mental health and medical care to
jail detainees. His perspective is shared by officials from the U.S.
Department of Justice, court-appointed jail monitors and civil-rights
lawyers from MacArthur Justice Center who, under the consent decree,
represent people incarcerated at the jail.

In June, the City Council unanimously approved a resolution urging a
third-party audit of the costs of the 89-bed facility, which have doubled
from pre-pandemic projections of $40 million. That early total also included
FEMA funding of $39 million, putting the city on the hook for only $1
million.

FEMA’s output of $39 million has stayed the same, even while projected costs
have ballooned to $109 million, and it appears that the city has to extract
$70 million from its budget to pay construction bills—  including an $89
million construction contract, recently signed with McDonnel Construction
Services.

The groundbreaking is now overdue – in a court-status report this spring,
the city estimated that it would issue a notice to proceed to McDonnel by
July 7. But that timeline has been stalled by the city’s audit request, a
new legal challenge filed In June by the Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office,
and Hutson’s refusal by Hutson to sign a cooperative-endeavor agreement with
the city to facilitate the construction.

In a more recent update filed with the federal court, on July 14, the city
wrote that all future milestones for jail construction were “TBD” – to be
determined.

Last year, the city reallocated the first $26 million, from bond money
originally slated for capital projects including libraries, a recreation
center, and a new Emergency Operations Center. Many of those projects were
chosen because they faced other hurdles that wouldn’t have allowed them to
move forward, officials told The Lens at the time.

This year’s reallocations were chosen from current capital projects that
were at a stage where they could be most easily suspended or paused,
according to a statement from the city.

It’s unclear why the current proposed reallocations are for $22 million. In
a court filing in June, the city indicated that it would need to move
another $37 million to cover the costs of the project. A spokesperson for
the city did not immediately respond to questions regarding the discrepancy.

Reallocations will come from 37 identified capital projects

According to the list provided by the city, the administration will allocate
$22 million from 37 identified projects.

About one-third of the projects in the list are marked “completed,” and
their contributions entail relatively small amounts of leftover money —
including the 11 cents that remained after the construction of a $3.4
million firing range for the New Orleans Police Department.

Projects giving up larger reallocations are mostly either in the planning or
construction phase, including ongoing, citywide maintenance and improvements
like building repairs ($2.4 million), parks and parkways improvements ($2.3
million) and energy-efficiency upgrades ($1 million, with an additional $50k
coming from planned electric vehicle-charging stations).

The largest single reallocation will pull $3.6 million from a $3.8 million
project entitled “Citywide Life/Safety Upgrades and Repairs.”

It’s possible that these are the Life/Safety Repairs and Upgrades from the
2027 Capital Improvement Plan adopted by the City Planning Commission in
October, which describes $5 million to be used in multiple city buildings,
to replace equipment such as generators and fire-suppression, fueling and
security systems.

But the city declined to comment on specific projects and did not make
anyone available for an interview related to any of the funding
reallocations.

Impacts of the reallocations would vary widely, depending on the project,
according to a statement from the city’s capital projects department.

Basically, finished designs will now gather dust, because the money for
construction is gone; fewer trees will be planted; fewer buildings repaired;
and less money will go to projects planned with outside organizations like
City Park.

Council approval: necessary? Or ‘no need?’

Generally, the City Council must vote to approve capital spending. Yet, so
far, the administration has not submitted an ordinance to the Council to
approve the reallocations that are earmarked for the jail.

And there is some disagreement  whether Council approval is necessary for
Phase III spending.

Last month, North, the U.S. Magistrate Judge, recommended to Africk that the
project move forward without the additional audit pursued by the Council.
Delaying the project would be “irresponsible,” North said – and “to do so
and think anything would change for the better would probably be
delusional.”

North also took a dim view of any “funding delays” — presumably referring to
the possibility that the City Council might block approval of the
allocations or drag its heels to do so — and said that such delays should be
treated “as contemptuous conduct and punish[ed] it as such, should it
occur.”

Last month – prior to North’s order – City Council President JP Morrell
suggested at a council meeting that, without an independent audit of
expenses, he would not vote in favor of any Phase III spending. He suggested
that The Lens refer to his prior public statements on the matter and
demurred about providing any new perspective on the city’s proposed
reallocations.

Within the city’s capital projects offices, the posture is that any
allocation for the jail’s construction “must” be approved by the Council, a
city spokesman said.

“No need,” responded Councilman Joe Giarrusso, referencing North’s
recommendation. “Federal court orders supersede any City ordinances or
rules,” he said.

Giarrusso, signed onto the council’s request for an audit because of how
quickly costs had grown, but said at that meeting that he believed that he
and his colleagues were getting “dangerously close to violating our oaths of
office by continuing to pursue and, and suggest that there is compromise
where there may not really be any that exists at this point.”

Giarrusso would like to see the city give  up its opposition, he said, and
instead look for ways to spare the city’s capital budget by seeking
financial assistance for the jail’s construction from the federal government
and other places.

If held in contempt of violating a federal order, the city could end up with
a double loss, an overly pricey new jail and “significant fines” levied by
the court, Giarrusso said.” That is perilous for the City because the Phase
III price-tag has skyrocketed.
 We cannot afford that.”

North Carolina construction company pays $1.6M following DOL
misclassification lawsuit

R&R Construction Maintenance of North Carolina Inc. has paid $1.6 million in
back wages and liquidated damages following a U.S. Department of Labor
investigation. The company, which collects garbage and debris
post-construction projects, misclassified 188 employees as independent
contractors, according to DOL.

Namely, R&R Construction Maintenance did not pay workers the required
overtime wages for hours over 40 in a workweek, according to the DOL. The
company also misapplied the motor carrier overtime exemption for two
employees and failed to pay another employee for their last day of work.

The payment is the result of an October 2022 judgment requiring R&R
Construction Maintenance to pay the affected employees $838,007 in back
wages — plus an equal amount in liquidated damages.

[...]

Kenyan telecom operator Airtel Kenya will spend at least $150 million (21.5
billion shillings) over the next three years to expand its network coverage
by setting up an additional 649 new network sites across the East African
country.

The company has made over $1 billion worth of investments in the country
since inception, Business Daily newspaper reported, citing CEO Ashish
Malhotra.

The majority of investments were made in the last three years.

“$150 million is what we require for incremental investments in the coming
two to three years from a network perspective alone,” he said, revealing
plans for more shops, launching affordable routers, etc.

Egypt's NCB Developments launches Valencia residential compound in New Cairo

Egypt’s NCB Developments has launched Valencia residential compound in New
Cairo at an investment of 3.7 billion Egyptian pounds ($120 million), the
company's chairman said.

Gerges Lawendy told Zawya Projects that the four-phase compound spans an
area of 12.5 acres, and includes 15 residential buildings, a strip mall, a
sports club and leisure facilities.

He said Archrete has designed the project, adding that the first phase would
be delivered in three years.

(1 US Dollar = 30.91 Egyptian Pounds)

Iraq to build first religious tourism city

Iraq has approved a project to build its first religious tourism city near
its ancient Sumerian Ur city in the southern Dhi Qar Governorate, the press
reported on Wednesday.

Dhi Qar’s Governor Mohammed Al-Gazzi on Tuesday endorsed designs for the
project, which is nearly two kilometres from the historic Ur city, the
newspapers said.

In a statement carried by Aliqitisad News and other publications, Gazzi said
the project includes the construction of the main town over an area of
around 925,000 square metres.

He said the project involves several sectors, including religion, tourism,
amusement, services, education and housing.

“It will be the country’s first city with religious and tourism features
it
will also comprise houses, cafes, restaurants, theatres, a museum and other
facilities,” he added.

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> bulls at bullszimbabwe.com

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

Date & Time

Heroes’ Day

Aug 14

Defence Forces Day

Aug 15

Padenga

EGM

Royal Harare Golf Club

August 16 – (10am)

Border Timbers

EGM

4 – 12 Paisley Road, Southerton, Harare, or virtually
:https://escrowagm.com/eagmZim/Login.aspx”

August 18 – (10am)

zIMBABWE

2023 harmonised elections

August 23

Companies under Cautionary

CBZH

GetBucks

EcoCash

Padenga

Econet

RTG

Fidelity

TSL

FMHL

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from s believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and d from third parties.

(c) 2023 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email:
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> bulls at bullszimbabwe.com Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell:
+263 77 344 1674