Construction and Property Corner ::: 24 August 2023

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Thu Aug 24 13:50:11 CAT 2023

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/> Bullish
Thoughts        <http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Construction and Property  Corner ::: 24 August 2023

ü  Zim reaps fruits from US$2bn investment into dam projects

ü  Millennium Heights apartments to be launched early 2024

ü  Magaya stadium project hailed

ü  South Africa’s construction sector urged to decarbonise – new report

ü  Construction Has Started At Africa’s First Dedicated Gigawatt-Hour
Battery Factory In Cape Town

ü  New energy projects resolve SA power woes

ü  South Sudan, Chinese firm ink deal to construct border port

ü  Construction industry report highlights negative perceptions of
insecurity and hard labour

ü  Tunisia: Kairouan governor fired over delays in construction of Saudi
Arabia-funded health facility

ü  Construction Skilled Labor Shortage Addressed by New Organization STAC

ü  South Africa’s construction sector urged to decarbonise – new report

ü  UK construction companies go under at fastest rate in a decade

 <https://www.willdale.co.zw/> Zim reaps fruits from US$2bn investment into
dam projects

THE Second Republic has invested US$2 billion towards construction of dams
and rehabilitation of irrigation infrastructure countrywide since 2019 as
the Government shifts towards climate-proofed agriculture to boost national
food security and nutrition.

The massive investments in the agriculture sector have enabled the country
to shatter records through increased productivity, which is already
impacting positively on downstream industries while creating more job
opportunities.

With adequate grain reserves for domestic consumption, Zimbabwe is now
aiming at exporting excess wheat and maize to the region and beyond as it
restores its bread basket status.

Under the Second Republic led by President Mnangagwa, the Government is
constructing 12 high-impact dams countrywide including Lake Gwayi-Shangani
and Ziminya Dam in Nkayi, Matabeleland North, and Tuli Manyange Dam in
Matabeleland South.

Others include Kunzvi Dam in Mashonaland East, Marovanyati in Manicaland,
Muchekeranwa Dam bordering Manicaland and Mashonaland East provinces, Vungu
Dam in Midlands, Silverstroom, Dande, Bindura and Semwa dams in Mashonaland
Central.

Matabeleland South has benefited through the rehabilitation of irrigation
infrastructure including procurement of equipment at Mtshabezi Dam,
Silalabuhwa Dam, Tuli River — Sebasa, and Makwe Dam leading to increased
land under irrigation.

In Matabeleland North, the Government has rehabilitated Bubi Lupane
Irrigation Scheme, which has transformed livelihoods for villagers.

In an interview on the sidelines of the commissioning of Valley Irrigation
Scheme in Kezi, Matobo District in Matabeleland South on Friday, Lands,
Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Rural Development Dr John Basera said the
country is reaping the benefits of investing in the agriculture sector.

“We have lined up quite a number of programmes to the effect of climate
proofing especially food production sub space so that we still ensure food
security with a slant towards food self-sufficiency and food sovereignty,”
he said.

“Since 2019, we have invested almost US$2 billion towards dam construction,
water harvesting and irrigation development in the country,” said Dr Basera.

“These investments are crucial, especially considering that our country,
like many others, is grappling with the adverse effects of climate change,
manifesting in the form of droughts, floods, and other extreme weather
events.”

He said in terms of cereal production and wheat farming to be specific, the
country is now looking to exporting wheat, something that had never been
done since the introduction of wheat farming in the 1960s.

“Currently we are sitting on a strategic wheat reserve to the tune of 140
000 metric tonnes and projecting about 430 000 metric tonnes. So, all in and
by October we should be having more 500  000 metric tonnes, which is against
the national requirement of 360 000 metric tonnes,” he said.

“We can start to prospect and project potential exports of wheat and this
will be happening for the first time since the land reform programme and, as
well for the first time since the start of the wheat production in the
country. The Government, the Second Republic is smashing every record in
farming.”

Dr Basera said the agriculture sector has grown by up to 35 percent in the
past three years, achieving food self-sufficiency in line with Vision 2030.

He said the Government had to look inward in view of the Covid-19 pandemic
and the Russia-Ukrainian conflict, which has strained global supply chains
with adverse impacts of import reliant states.

“In fact, it is a major strategic crop in the food security basket. So, as
such, two years back we had a plan and our plan was to be wheat and flour
sufficient at all cost and at any cost especially because of the Covid-19
realities, which were disrupting the global supply chains for fertilisers,
for wheat and so on,” said Dr Basera.

“Also, the geopolitics in eastern Europe taught us to look inward as an
economy as Zimbabwe and Africa. We have lined up quite a number of
programmes to achieve wheat and flour sufficiency at any cost.”

The Permanent Secretary encouraged farmers to improve their agronomic
practices as this can result in reduction of poverty. In order to maximise
on productivity, especially on wheat and traditional grains, he said the
Government is taking measures to control quelea birds, which threaten crops.

“Quelea birds feast on traditional grains, the moment we suppress the quelea
population then we stand a good chance to promote the traditional grains
thrust more,” he said,

Meanwhile, over 200 villagers in Kezi, Matobo have benefited from
Government’s measures to climate proof the agriculture sector through
revitalisation of Valley Irrigation Scheme where they are members. The
Government rehabilitated irrigation infrastructure including centre pivots
and water pumping systems to ensure the scheme is back on track.

Valley Irrigation Scheme, a brainchild of the Government was established in
1995 but had failed to operate to optimum due to lack of irrigation
infrastructure despite sitting on 200-hectares of land.

The irrigation scheme was supposed to be supported by the Valley Dam but for
years the water body was not put to good use as the centre pivot in the area
was dysfunctional. This has seen the Government increasing irrigation land
from 150 000 hectares in 2020 to 203 000 hectares at the end of June this
year with the target being to put 350 000 ha of land under irrigation by
2025.

Dr Basera said the irrigation scheme was rehabilitated with the support from
his ministry and the Smallholder Irrigation Revitalization Programme (SIRP).

“The revitalised Valley Irrigation Scheme stands as a tangible testament to
the visionary leadership and unwavering commitment of our Government to
promote sustainable agricultural practices and overcome the challenges faced
by farmers in this region,” he said.

“With the completion of this monumental project, we are opening up a world
of opportunities for our farmers to increase their productivity, enhance
their livelihoods, and contribute to the economic growth of our nation,”
said Dr Basera.

While in the past scheme beneficiaries struggled due inconsistent supply of
water, he said the tide has been changed through the investment in viable
irrigation infrastructure.

Dr Basera said the scheme will be part of Zimbabwe’s success story that has
seen the country achieve food security in cereals in sync with the
investments that have been made in the sector.

“These investments are crucial, especially considering that our country,
like many others, is grappling with the adverse effects of climate change,
manifesting in the form of droughts, floods, and other extreme weather
events,” he said.

Dr Basera said the development of the Valley Irrigation Scheme is
confirmation that rain-fed farming is no longer sustainable. He said the
scheme will also create local employment beyond the district while
contributing to economic growth.

“The scheme will create employment opportunities, both directly and
indirectly, thus further bolstering the economic prosperity of Matobo
District,” said Dr Basera.-herald

Millennium Heights apartments to be launched early 2024

CONSTRUCTION of the picturesque entrance gatehouse to Millennium Heights
apartments has begun and is expected to be launched end of January next
year.

The gatehouse is an affirmation of the gated development promised to buyers
of the upmarket properties.

The green energy powered gatehouse has a number of features that make it
outstanding and a decorative feature of the massive development.

It has a guardroom that will be fitted with the latest surveillance
technology and alarm systems for each of the apartments. It will be manned
by experienced West Group Security officers aided by technology.

It has ablution facilities, electronic boom levers, four lanes two for
entrance two for exit with the lanes increasing in number once inside the
gated community. Visiting motorists pick a visitor’s lance once inside.
Pedestrians will use the walkway for ease of entrance and exit.

Two blocks of apartments already have occupation. Builders are presently
working on block 3 which has four floors and 112 units.

The number of floors is increasing with each new block to bring a new look
and fresh appeal to the estate.

The apartments on block 3 are sold out while sales for block 4 have begun
and moving fast and work on the block has started.

At least 1000 apartment units are planned for Millennium Heights over a 10
year period. Each apartments brings with it unique features that
differentiate it with the rest to avoid monotony and to bring diversity in
architectural designs.

The blocks of apartments adorn the Millennium Park, one of the company’s
largest mixed use lifestyle estates that includes Millennium Heights,
Pokugara Residential Estate, the Mall of Zimbabwe and several office parks
combining the live, work, play and shop concept in one area.

WestProp Holdings CEO Mr Ken Sharpe says all the company’s developments
should have a signature mark that affirms the company’s vision of bringing
Dubai style developments to Zimbabwe.

“I urge other developers to follow our lead by building more vertically and
in the process accommodate more families on smaller pieces of land.

“We have to look at investment in smart city concepts powered by technology.
We can work together to make this dream a reality,” he said.-herald

Magaya stadium project hailed

Prophetic Healing and Deliverance (PHD) Ministries leader Walter Magaya has
been hailed for embarking on an audacious project to construct a stadium at
his Yadah Complex in Waterfalls, Harare.

Construction of the Swansea Stadium look alike has already started with the
first phase of the project set to be commissioned early next month.

The facility, named The Heart Stadium, is being completed in phases, first
as a 5 000-seater before it becomes a 40 000-seater when fully complete.

This development has come at a time when there is a crisis of football
stadia in the country, which has no single stadium fit to host international
games.

It will also come as a huge relief to Harare-based Premier league teams
including giants Dynamos and Caps United who are shuttling to Gweru and
Bulawayo for their home matches as the only stadiums in the capital, the
National Sports Stadium and Rufaro Stadium, are both closed for renovations.

Zimbabwe national soccer supporters association secretary general Chris
“Romario” Musekiwa saluted Magaya and urged other football stakeholders to
give him all the necessary support.

“Well done Prophet Walter Magaya of PHD, a passionate football fan who has
invested a lot in the growth of the Yadah football brand,” Musekiwa said.

“This is one of the best news we have heard in the Sports fraternity this
year. This is very commendable and I wish the other stakeholders and all the
relevant authorities can support him so that this dream, this huge project,
is realised. This guy has done so much to support sport in the country...
from owning a Premier league team (Yadah Fc) to also support national teams
financially,” Musekiwa who is also a staunch Dynamos supporter and Warriors
cheerleader told NewsDay Sport yesterday.

“More importantly, he is also focusing on junior development through his
Yadah Football Academy, something which has been lacking in this country.
These are kind of investors that needs everyone's support and as supporters
we are very happy and thankful. We call upon the corporate world and
government to support such projects being done by enterprising individuals
who have the game of football at heart.”

Caps United's number one fan Tatenda “ZiSuper reGreen” Mushonga also had
kind words for Magaya.

“We would like to applaud him for that. We hope the stadium won't come with
stringent conditions to use it. If he is doing it just for the love of the
game, of which I know he loves very much, then big up to him. What he is
doing will help develop sport in a big way in this country, and for that we
have to appreciate,” Mushonga said.

Warriors team general manager Wellington Mpandare who is closely following
the progress of the Heart stadium construction, was equally pleased.

“This is a massive development for our sport in the country. It's also good
for our national teams. Remember our national teams sometimes camp at the
Yadah hotel so in terms of logistics it would be easy because the teams will
be staying and training at the complex. He also has an Academy that is
housed at the same complex, so its just a matter of time before these
facilities begin to churn out stars that will be attractive to the
international market. The benefits are just huge,” Mpandare said.

Construction work started last month and is moving at a rapid pace as the
contractor targets to hand over the completed project in a few weeks' time.

The lawn has been laid over a modern drainage system while the final touches
are being done to the dressing and administration rooms, as well as the
doping control rooms.

One grand stand has already been erected on one side of the stadium.

According to the stadium building plan, four grandstands will be erected,
with two of them reserved for VIP's and media areas.

Magaya said construction of the stadium was part of his grand plan to
develop sport in the country.

“The lawn is ready and in very good condition. We are working 24 hours on
the site and the plan is to play some league games in the stadium before the
end of the season,” said Magaya who owns premiership side Yadah. The team
currently use Baobab Stadium in Mhondoro for its home matches.

“We have followed all the procedures of submitting the papers to the City
Council and all the relevant authorities who have received them very well.
We will also invite the Zifa FIB (First Instance Board) to inspect the
stadium, and any other stakeholders to participate in our endeavour to make
sure we build a world class facility. That is our aim,” Magaya said.

“We will allow other clubs to use the facility. We are putting dressing
rooms that meet the Premier Soccer League and Caf requirements,” he added.

Harare City council has already pledged to offer their help by constructing
access roads to the new stadium.

Magaya could not divulge the exact value of the stadium, but said millions
of dollars have been sunk into the project.

“In terms of the pitch size and the look, we want to replicate the Swansea
Stadium. But we also hope to do something that is unique. I gave it the name
“Heart Stadium” because I want a person to follow their passion than to
follow what is being implemented in their lives by someone else. Let a
person follow their heart rather than to be forced to study, for example, a
grasshopper, something that will not change their lives later on in
life.”-herald

South Africa’s construction sector urged to decarbonise – new report

South Africa’s buildings and construction sector has been urged to
decarbonise and create opportunities to close the country’s housing carbon
gap and adjacent industries.

Decarbonising South Africa’s Buildings and Construction sector is the final
report from the Climate Pathways and Just Transition Project run by the
National Business Initiative (NBI), in partnership with Business Unity South
Africa (BUSA) and Boston Consulting Group (BCG).

Of Interest:

Smart charging can help transport decarbonisation in emerging nations

The series of reports aim to establish a fact base on what it would take for
the South African economy to transition to net zero in a just manner.

South Africa’s Buildings and Construction sector, which includes the
operations of residential and commercial buildings, in addition to
construction, accounts for approximately 7% (34 Mt CO2e) of South Africa’s
direct emissions.

To achieve net zero, the sector will need to decarbonise, but face these
challenges:

Ensuring physical resilience, as South Africa is forecasted to be one of the
region’s most severely impacted by the effects of climate change.

Addressing severe housing inequality, with a shortfall of approximately 2.1
million homes and unequal access to public infrastructure such as water and
sanitation.

The report finds that decarbonising the Buildings and Construction sector
requires a two-pronged approach:

Demand reduction through improved spatial planning and reduced use of
emissions-intensive materials, notably steel and cement.

Supply-side measures such as a shift away from fossil fuel-based combustion
for space and water heating and cooking via renewable energy-based
electrification as well as energy efficiency levers (e.g., increased
building insulation).

Have you read?

Local communities play key role in clean energy transitions

Given that the Buildings and Construction sector accounts for approximately
90% of local cement and 50% of local steel demand, it can catalyse
decarbonisation across adjacent industries by creating a “demand-pull” for
material reuse and the use of lower-carbon-intensity materials in
construction.

In this decarbonisation “pathway”, South Africa’s construction demand could
double due to the construction boom to close the housing gap and realise
increased infrastructure demand as the economy transitions to net-zero.

This creates an opportunity for job creation, potentially generating 0.8-1.4
million new jobs by 2050, nearly doubling the number of jobs currently
provided by the sector, while also driving growth in adjacent sectors such
as heavy manufacturing and power.

Construction Has Started At Africa’s First Dedicated Gigawatt-Hour Battery
Factory In Cape Town

In the first half of 2023, South Africa imported over $2.5 billion worth of
solar panels, inverters, and lithium-ion cells and battery packs. This is
according to analysis from Johannesburg-based Gaylor Montmasson-Clair, a
Senior Economist at Trade, Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS). The surge in
demand for all of these has been spurred by South Africa’s electricity
generation shortfall crisis that has resulted in prolonged periods of
electricity rationing known as load-shedding. 2023 has been the worst year
of load-shedding on record, with more load-shedding in 2023 so far than in
the past five years combined!

South African imports of solar panels, inverters, and lithium-ion cells &
battery packs over the past 10 years. Image courtesy of Gaylor
Montmasson-Clair.

Over the past 10 years, South Africa has imported over $10 billion worth of
these components. This has prompted calls for more localization along the
value chain. One sector that has been gaining some traction over the years
is the importation of battery cells from some of the world’s leading
manufacturers, such as CATL. South African firms then assemble battery packs
in the country, incorporating locally developed and proprietary battery
management systems, other software, and other value addition processes. One
of the leaders in this space is Solar MD.

Having been established in 2015, a combination of factors, including being
ready and prepared at the right place and right time, saw the company make a
name for itself in South Africa. Initially, global battery supply
constraints meant that it and a few other local battery firms were well
positioned to fill the gap and meet local demand in South Africa’s nascent
residential and small commercial solar and battery sector.

Solar MD had started to expand its operations in South Africa and was again
able to capitalize on the huge demand that was induced by all this
load-shedding. An example of this is when Solar MD unveiled its 14.3 kWh
wall-mounted battery pack for homes and small businesses in October 2021.
Solar MD says its 14.3 kWh pack is the most ideal option for larger homes as
the load-shedding crisis escalates in South Africa. They add that this pack
also gives people in this segment more value for money compared the standard
options on the market which are mostly the 5 kWh packs imported from China.
Solar MD’s 14.3 kWh LFP packs retails for about R85,000 ($4,600).

The insatiable demand for solar panels and backup battery systems in South
Africa has resulted in Solar MD scaling up its plans again. Construction has
now started on a facility that will be home to Africa’s first dedicated
gigawatt battery storage manufacturing plant. It was a landmark moment, said
Alderman James Vos, the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Economic Growth,
at the sod-turning ceremony for Solar MD’s new industrial site in Richmond
Park.

The new 12,500-square-meter Solar MD light industrial site under
construction in Cape Town. Image courtesy of Solar MD

More information on this exciting development was released via a press
release by the City of Cape Town. The City of Cape Town says the new
12,500-square-meter Solar MD light industrial site will include offices,
manufacturing, and storage facilities, and will be four times the size of
the current facility. Solar MD currently produces around 120 batteries per
day with plans to increase manufacturing up to 300 batteries per day once
the new facility is fully up and running. Its staff component will also
increase to 240 from its existing 120 employees. The project, scheduled for
completion in May 2024, is being managed by Atterbury Property.

“This development marks an exciting moment for Cape Town. Not only does this
investment fuel Cape Town’s drive towards a smarter, cleaner, and more
secure energy future, but it also makes this metro the base for the
production of these batteries that are exported into Africa and Europe,”
said Alderman Vos.

Solar MD has invested over R150 million into its developments since opening
in 2015 and plans to invest close to R1 billion over the next five years as
it expands. The company’s growth has been supported by GreenCape, the City’s
Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) in the green economy, as well as the City and
provincial government’s investment promotion partner, Wesgro.

“This shows the tangible value of partnering with SPVs. In fact, by
supporting companies such as Solar MD, GreenCape helped to facilitate R1,733
billion in investments in the last financial year for Cape Town which led to
hundreds of jobs. In the next year, we are going to expand our investment
campaigns of Cape Town as a green energy hub while extending skills
development opportunities to more communities and small businesses,” said
Alderman Vos.

This is an impressive development for South Africa as it will help increase
the localization component in the battery value chain, as well as create
much needed employment opportunities.

New energy projects resolve SA power woes

JOHANNESBURG. – The ever-deepening energy cooperation between China and
South Africa, especially in fields of renewable energy, will become a new
driver of economic and trade cooperation between the two nations, industry
analysts said.

“Energy cooperation between China and South Africa is mutually beneficial
and win-win. It is believed the two parties will further deepen energy
cooperation, trade and investment, especially in that of renewables, in the
days to come,” said Lin Boqiang, head of the China Institute for Studies in
Energy Policy at Xiamen University.

According to Lin, while China is vigorously developing renewables at home,
South Africa is also working on an ambitious green energy transition,
incorporating new energy as a means to resolve the African nation’s ongoing
power crisis.

South Africa has faced rolling blackouts in its power grid since 2003,
caused by insufficient electricity generation.

The cooperation, Lin said, will also help South Africa overcome its energy
challenges while reigniting its economic growth.

Siyabonga Cyprian Cwele, South Africa’s ambassador to China, was quoted as
saying by Reuters that China’s advanced and affordable technology could help
South Africa achieve its energy goals.

South Africa is willing to learn from China in terms of green development
and energy transition. Cooperation can make a tangible contribution to
addressing our energy challenges and starting our economic recovery, he
said.

South Africa is seeking affordable solar panels, wind turbines, battery
storage and renewables technology from China, its electricity minister
Kgosientsho Ramokgopa was quoted as saying by Reuters in June on the
sidelines of a South Africa-China energy conference.

Many Chinese companies have become involved in South Africa in recent years,
helping alleviate the local power crisis and ensure stable grid operation.

The De Aar Wind Farm in South Africa, the largest such project in the
country, which is financed and operated by China Longyuan Power Group Corp,
a subsidiary of China Energy Investment Corp, has facilitated South Africa’s
low-carbon transition while easing its energy shortage — a major problem
delaying the continent’s industrialization. The Chinese company also
constructed the project.

The wind farm has provided 760 million kilowatt-hours of clean power a year
since it went into operation in 2017. That is equivalent to power provided
by 215,800 metric tons of standard coal, Longyuan Power Group Corp said.

The farm has not only met the power needs of more than 300,000 households,
but also optimized the local energy network while further facilitating the
green and low-carbon transition in South Africa.

Power Construction Corp of China, or PowerChina, a Beijing-based State-owned
enterprise, signed a contract to build a 123-megawatt photovoltaic project
in South Africa in July.

Once completed, the project will provide approximately 300 million
kilowatt-hours of clean electricity to the South African national grid each
year. – ChinaDaily.com

South Sudan, Chinese firm ink deal to construct border port

(JOHANNESBURG) – South Sudan and a Chinese company have inked an agreement
for the construction of a dry port at Nimule border.

South Sudan President Salva Kiir witnessed the signing of the Memorandum of
Understanding (MoU) between the South Sudanese Transport ministry and China
Communications and Construction Company in South Africa on Wednesday.

The Chinese Company, a statement noted, will also construct a presidential
terminal at Juba airport, an apron project and an air traffic management
system.

Kiir, his office said, lauded China’s development assistance towards his
country.

If completed, the port will lower transportation costs and facilitate trade,
he said.

For his part, the Chairman of China Communications Construction Company,
Wang Tongzhou said China seeks to deepen bilateral cooperation with South
Sudan in trade, investment and infrastructure development aspects.

He expressed readiness to complete the project within the shortest time
possible.(ST)

Construction industry report highlights negative perceptions of insecurity
and hard labour

Parents are putting their children off careers in construction because they
perceive it to be an insecure profession and one involving physically
punishing work, according to a new study.

Those perceptions are reinforced by the last downturn between 2008 and 2013
when thousands of tradespeople lost their jobs in the last recession..

The State needs at least an additional 50,000 construction workers between
now and 2030 if it is to meet ambitious targets for house building, the
National Development Plan and retrofitting.

Currently there is a shortage of almost 4,500 skilled building workers in
the sector. Some 170,000 people are now working in the industry, which is
20,000 more than pre-Covid levels.

A Department of Further and Higher Education plan to boost the numbers
entering construction has concluded that the industry suffers from
perceptions that it is boom and bust and that the industry is solely
on-site.

One construction employer surveyed said the industry was “toxic” after the
crash of 2008 and “schools and parents avoided promoting the industry. No
one was there to encourage the next generation to get involved and we are
paying for that now.”

A survey by the department of parents and children found a marked difference
between the two generations. Some 76 per cent of parents believe
construction is a financially unstable career due to economic downturns, but
only 33 per cent of students felt the same.

The department survey said many parents were not familiar with advances in
the sector where much more work is done off-site and technological advances
mean workers can continue to operate in the sector without having to do
heavy manual labour.

It also said there was a “structural problem” facing the entry of women into
what is traditionally a male-dominated profession. Few girls are afforded
the opportunity to take construction-related subjects in schools, the report
says.

The report was launched by the Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris at
an event in Coláiste Cois Life in Lucan, where he unveiled a new mobile
training unit that will travel around the country promoting accessibility to
construction-related and retrofitting courses.

The mobile nearly-zero-emission-building unit will visit schools and
construction sites.

Mr Harris criticised the “national obsession” in Ireland with the “points
race”. It put “far too much pressure on young people” and gave the
impression that it was the only way to progress into a profession.

He said the Careers in Construction action plan shows there are many career
opportunities within the sector.

“Careers in construction are so varied now, involving everything from
off-site manufacturing, planning and design to all of the on-site roles.
There really is something for everyone and I would urge people to take fresh
look at these opportunities,” he said.

Construction Industry Federation director of training Dermot Carey said he
was pleased that the report included plan for a nationwide marketing
campaign to encourage more young people into the industry.

“We have been quite successful in doing that, but we need to do it in an
organised and a joined-up manner,” he said. “This report sets out 20 actions
in total to achieve that to try and promote careers and career paths in
construction design and management.”

Mr Carey said the State was one of the chief employers of construction
workers and it must be involved in encouraging people to enter the industry
and there would be plenty of work in the future through different
initiatives.

“We need a campaign to promote all of those career paths for young people to
make those decisions,” he said.

Engineers Ireland director general Damien Owens said the industry suffered
from a perception that it was in a “wet field with digging and all of that.
It is far from that. It is a much more technologically advanced industry
than people give it credit for.”

Tunisia: Kairouan governor fired over delays in construction of Saudi
Arabia-funded health facility

Tunisia’s President Kais Saied removed Tuesday August 22 the governor of
Kairouan governorate (Central Tunisia) because of delays in the construction
of the King Salman Ibn Abdelaziz Teaching Hospital financed by the Saudi
Development Fund.

The removal came a day after a high-level meeting chaired by the President
and attended by the governor Mohamed Bourguiba himself.

Bourgiba had been governor of the region since July 2019.

President Saied has repeatedly fussed over the delays that the project has
been facing since the signing of the financing agreement in 2017. Saudi
Arabia granted $85 million for the project that will feature 500 beds and
health services in a wide range of fields.

The start of the construction process has been repeatedly postponed. Saied
slammed open-ended feasibility studies in connection to the project.

“As funds are allocated, and each time a study is completed, it is replaced
by a second, then a third, and there is no palpable effect,” the President
criticized.

He argued that the delays risk to stain the credibility of the Tunisian
State and deprive many citizens of their legitimate right to healthcare.

Construction Skilled Labor Shortage Addressed by New Organization STAC

NEST has premiered the Stilled Trades Advisory Council (STAC) which is meant
to help push back on the worker shortage.

According to the press release:

NEST, the pioneers of integrated facilities management, has teamed up with
leaders across the construction, retail, and skilled trades industries to
create the STAC. Aimed to combat the crisis facing skilled labor in the U.S.
and Canada, STAC’s founding advisors will leverage their resources,
knowledge, and network to elevate the skilled trades as high-paying,
honorable, and often heroic career paths, including electrical, plumbing,
HVAC, janitorial, construction, and other essential jobs that require a
rejuvenated workforce.

Founding STAC advisors include:

·         Rob Almond, CEO of NEST

·         Sara Angus, director of construction, Starbucks

·         Julie Starzynski, director of construction & design, Floor & Decor

·         Andrew Brown, founder and CEO of Toolfetch

·         Sarah Hammond, owner and president of Atlas and Treasurer of Women
in HVAC

·         Kam Washington, owner of PMA Construction

·         Kate Cinnamo, executive director of Explore the Trades

·         Mónica Muñoz, senior director of Capital Programs at DaVita Kidney
Care

·         Mary Gaffney, president of NAWIC Philadelphia Foundation and GEM
Mechanical Services

“I’m encouraged that so many others share my passion for growing the trades
and ending the stigma that surrounds jobs in the industry,” said Almond, who
spearheaded the initiative. “STAC is a way for many of us to work together
and find ways to encourage youth to consider a career in the skilled trades.
There are many viable, lucrative, and creative opportunities to explore.”

According to online recruiting platform Handshake, the application rate for
young people seeking technical jobs dropped by 49% in 2022 compared to 2020
(source). Staffing firm PeopleReady estimate 40% of the 12 million people in
the skilled trades workforce are over the age of 45, with nearly half of
those workers over the age of 55 (source).

Associated Builders and Contractors reported that the construction industry
will need to attract an estimated 546,000 additional workers on top of the
normal pace of hiring in 2023 to meet the demand for labor (source).

“The U.S. and Canadian workforces are struggling to fill a massive gap in
the skilled trades, and we need to unite as an industry to reverse the
trend,” added Almond, who is based in the Philadelphia area. “This group of
founding advisors shares that passion across many sectors that make up the
industry.”

[...]

Construction companies in the UK have gone out of business at the highest
rate in a decade as a result of persistent cost inflation, a slowdown in
housebuilding and delays to government infrastructure projects.

Figures from the government’s Insolvency Service show about 4,280 operators
became insolvent in the 12 months to June, 16.5 per cent more than the same
period a year ago.

Last week Buckingham Group, which has worked on the new HS2 railway line and
the Anfield football stadium in Liverpool, became one of the largest
contractors since the collapse of Carillion in January 2018 to stop trading.

Buckingham, which employed 660 people, attributed its troubles to a
“combination of unexpected impacts”, including “extreme inflation”.

Rising material costs, planning delays and skills shortages have all
contributed to contractors’ financial difficulties, said Professor Noble
Francis, economics director at the Construction Products Association.

You are seeing a snapshot of an interactive graphic. This is most likely due
to being offline or JavaScript being disabled in your browser.

The government has also delayed a series of large road and rail projects as
it grapples with rising costs, while housebuilders have announced a slowdown
in new building. Crest Nicholson issued a profit warning this week as rising
interest rates slowed buyers’ appetite.

The number of failures in the 12 months to June was the highest since the
4,537 recorded in 2012, when construction insolvencies peaked following the
effects of the financial crisis.

The worst hit companies were smaller, specialist subcontractors. They
accounted for 2,499 insolvencies, or about 60 per cent of the total, in the
period.

However, main building contractors were also affected as they were unable to
pass their problems on to others in the supply chain, Francis said.

Groundworks specialist Allma Construction and its sister company Centre
Plant collapsed into administration last week with the loss of more than 180
jobs. Allma, which specialised in the housebuilding sector, has been hit
hard by the residential downturn.

Although construction materials prices have fallen from highs reached after
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine pushed up energy and commodity costs, they are
still 42.7 per cent higher than before the pandemic in January 2020,
according to the Office for National Statistics.

Some materials prices are still rising at double-digit percentage rates.
Ready-mixed concrete prices rose 19 per cent in the year to June, while
bitumen and precast concrete prices rose 12 per cent.

The government in March announced a two-year delay to phase 2a of the
high-speed railway line HS2 between Birmingham and Crewe, citing
“significant inflationary pressure and increased project costs”.

It has also stopped work on the HS2 terminal at Euston station in central
London.

Some road projects have also been held up. Ministers have delayed by two
years work on the £9bn Lower Thames Crossing, a planned 14.3-mile motorway
east of the Dartford bridge in London.

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> bulls at bullszimbabwe.com

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

Date & Time

zIMBABWE

2023 harmonised elections

August 23

Companies under Cautionary

CBZH

GetBucks

EcoCash

Padenga

Econet

RTG

Fidelity

TSL

FMHL

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from s believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and d from third parties.

(c) 2023 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email:
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> bulls at bullszimbabwe.com Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell:
+263 77 344 1674