Entrepreneurship Zone: 15 February 2023 :: Paula Marowa, a passionate entrepreneur building a bespoke leather goods brand

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Wed Feb 15 10:11:08 CAT 2023

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com/> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<http://www.bulls.co.zw/blog> Bullish Thoughts
<http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Entrepreneurship Zone: 15 February 2023 :: Paula Marowa, a passionate
entrepreneur building a bespoke leather goods brand

*

PAULA Marowa is a self-made entrepreneur who is on a drive to weave success
in the leather industry through her venture Rukanda Pride. Anchored on
retaining customer satisfaction, Rukanda Pride is a brand that takes pride
in bespoke finely crafted leather products that are manufactured from real
African pure leather while simultaneously carrying an international class.

Paula is a testament that creating tailored products is thoroughly
rewarding and that there is always success that is drawn from incessant
testing and learning.

In a conversation with the The Entrepreneurial Magazine Editor Amanda Jojo
(AJ), Paula Marowa (PM) discussed the early beginnings of Rukanda Pride and
how she is on a mission to grow and manifold in her entrepreneurial quest.

Below are the excepts of the interview:

AJ: Tell us about yourself especially on your life before entrepreneurship
PM: Before becoming an Entrepreneur, I worked in Victoria Falls for a year.
I came back to Harare and worked for a company called Vision Consultancy
Africa (VCA) as a call agent. Took money out of my savings and started my
entrepreneurial journey by going to South Africa to get baby wear and sold
it from Kwame mall. I grew out of Kwame mall and found opportunities in the
leather industry.

AJ: When did you first discover your entrepreneurial journey and how is
your entrepreneurial career developing so far?

PM: Well I started in 2018 with the production of shoes only. So, the model
was that the customer pays half deposit then half balance on collection. The
deposit would cover a huge percentage of the cost of production then balance
on collection. At that time, I didn’t have any machines so I’d outsource the
production service. However, I managed to grow and acquire a few machines
through bootstrapping. Acquired a few awards, Grew the product portfolio
with time and now we produce bags, shoes, wallets, belts, folders etc. We
managed to be one of the most recognized brands within Zimbabwe and beyond.

AJ: When and why did your birth your enterprise?

PM: The need to take care of my little sister at that time. I needed a
sustainable business that would secure us of At least food on the table,
fees and just general basic needs. However, I grew to be passionate about
the leather business and it ceased to be just about hand to mouth or about
survival.

AJ: Kindly unpack your services and products.

PM: Rukanda Pride is into manufacturing and retailing of leather products
using locally sourced leather. We mainly do bags, wallets, shoes, belts,
corporate folders just to mention a few.

AJ: What has been the biggest success and failure stories you went through?

PM: Biggest success story would be our participation at ZACS through
Zimtrade where we got to meet the Minister of Small And Medium Enterprise,
the president of the Lusaka Chamber of Commerce, Her Excellency The
Ambassador of Zimbabwe to Zambia and various people who showed interest in
our products.  Biggest failure story would be when we made substandard
products during our very first manufacturing days.

AJ: Who is your target market?

PM: Our target market would be middle to high income earners with a taste
for bespoke products.

AJ: Where do you see growth and opportunities in your business?

PM: We seek to grow, expand and be innovative enough to deliver remarkable
real leather products that satisfy today’s customer within the borders of
Africa and beyond. Our aim is to tap into the export market through trade
fairs and trade missions and occupy a bigger share of the local market.

AJ: What have been the challenges of running your kind of business in
Zimbabwe?

PM: Our Biggest challenge was breaking out into the market because most of
our local people are very skeptical about local brands. Another one would be
the various changes in financial policies.

AJ:  What can government and other relevant stakeholders do to create an
enabling environment for leather business owners?

PM: Well I believe Government should intervene on the duty structure for
components that are usually imported for the industry such as chemicals,
equipment and other manufacturing inputs because the fees are too high for
the viability of the sector. Some tax exemptions would also be greatly
appreciated.

AJ: How are your products fairing on the international scene?

PM: Through trade fairs and trade missions in and out of Zimbabwe we found
that a lot of our international stakeholders were very much interested in
our products. We managed to actually export a few of our products.

AJ: Where do you see yourself in the near future?

PM: We seek to have success that is derived from continuous testing and
learning. We would love to occupy a larger share of the local as well as
international market. We want to bring great value to the leather industry
in Zimbabwe.

AJ: Any words of advice to aspiring and starting up entrepreneurship.

PM:   You need to grow a thick skin especially if you’re a female in a male
dominated industry and never be afraid to take risks

Maintain quality, leather has a lifetime guarantee so we need to give our
clients a lifetime experience of great quality. They should be able to enjoy
Rukanda Pride products even after so many years.

Never give up, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Continuously learn and apply innovation.

-entremag.co.zw

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2023 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email: