Entrepreneurship Zone: 16 February 2023 :: Trash to treasure: The fashion entrepreneur utilizing recycling and upcycling

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Thu Feb 16 08:00:29 CAT 2023

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com/> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<http://www.bulls.co.zw/blog> Bullish Thoughts
<http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Entrepreneurship Zone: 16 February 2023 :: Trash to treasure: The fashion
entrepreneur utilizing recycling and upcycling

*

OVER the years, entrepreneurship has been associated with creativeness,
innovation and new inventions.

For the purpose of going beyond owning stand-alone boutiques and stores,
there has been a breed of fashion entrepreneurs who are characterized by
incorporation of creation as well as penetration of various niche markets.

Rachel “Vintage Rae” Mugoni is an eco-conscious fashion entrepreneur whose
business model is hinged upon use of relatively low-technology production
system. Her sustainable fashion brand finds beauty in discarded industrial
materials, upcycling and recycling them into classic brands.

“When I was at university I used to wear vintage clothes and people started
calling me ‘Vintage Rae’ and I have adopted that theme for my creations,”
Rachel told this publication.

Rachel is a Chinhoyi University of Technology (CUT) Creative Art and Design
graduate and she believes that the tertiary equipped her with the basic
know-how of running her business.

“I was inspired also by my friend who learnt at CUT therefore I enrolled at
CUT and started doing creative art and design.

“As much as I was born in a family of creatives, I went to university
anyways and it helped me on exposure, communication skills and networking. I
got into fashion by default.

“Compulsory modules such as marketing, entrepreneurship and research shaped
the way I see things and interact with other people,” Rachel said.

For some time, Zimbabwe has been economically fragile because of various
macroeconomic factors which to some extent has resulted in shrinkage of the
job market.  As such, Rachel reinforces the adage “Necessity is the mother
of innovation,” thus, the state of the economy pulled her into
entrepreneurship.

“Indeed, necessity is the mother of all inventions, the economy was going
down, after I finished my education, there were no jobs so I took the route
of making crafts and selling them for instance handmade male bow ties.

“Additionally, I have always been a lover of fashion since childhood I
started designing unique things for my doll after high school I had no
intentions to pursue fashion. I sketched designs along the way I came across
creative people who gave me inspiration,” she stressed.

For as long as she remembers, Rachel has always been into the concept of
do-it-yourself (DIY)and she somewhat became an expert at her craft.

“I have always been a DIY and accessory designer person because it is very
economical and it produces unique results. During the COVID-19 period when
connections were mostly virtual I created match box earrings and shared the
results via social media the response was overwhelming,” she expressed.

In the view of the notion that social media marketing is reemphasized as a
gamechanger for small businesses, Rachel testified that it has helped her to
put her business on the map.

 “The target market is characterized by digital natives as such, social
media marketing is working for me and it has broadened my reach by defying
geographical boundaries since I stay in a very small town,” she said.

Because Rachel is repurposing waste, she is also identified as an
environmentalist because she uses her status and brand to promote
environment and social responsibility.

“I use the mantra use what you have, because I have been a recycler and
upcycler, got attention from other environmentalists,” she stated.

Since influence is something that is not gained in isolation, Rachel draws
her inspiration from quite a number of people.

She said: “I have many role models but I am mostly inspired by people who
are consistent with their work.

“My advice to fellow aspiring entrepreneurs out there is whatever you want
to do just start, be willing to learn from other people.

“No matter how creative you are, you are going to need inspiration from
other therefore, follow the path of accomplished people because that will
help in shaping you.”

-entremag.co.zw

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2023 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email: