Entrepreneurship Zone: 27 February 2023 :: From kombi driver to trucking business owner

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Mon Feb 27 07:49:19 CAT 2023

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com/> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<http://www.bulls.co.zw/blog> Bullish Thoughts
<http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Entrepreneurship Zone: 27 February 2023 :: From kombi driver to trucking
business owner

*

POPULARLY known as Amora, Mr Amos Chikutira was 18 years old when he
acquired his
driver’s licence and started working as a commuter omnibus driver in Gweru.

He thought that was it yet it was only the beginning.
Frustrated by other drivers and touts who continuously bullied him, Mr
Chikutira decided to enrol at the Gweru Polytechnic College where he trained
as a diesel plant fitter.

Today he is the proud owner of a haulage trucking company called Fix It
logistics. The self-made employer is one of the entrepreneurs who started
their journey with no capital
and no experience.

Despite the odds, Mr Chikutira was able to start small and is growing. It’s
not common to hear about entrepreneurs who used the wealth they made from a
previous endeavour to
build a thriving new start-up, or seasoned business owners who took over a
decades-old franchise and transformed it into something new.

These stories are inspiring in their own way but it’s even more inspiring
to hear about people like Mr Chikutira who started with nothing.

>From a young age, the father of two children — a boy and a girl, always
wanted to be an entrepreneur. He has two trucks that are hired mostly by big
companies on long-term contracts to ferry goods in and around the country.

“I was born in Gweru and grew up in a family of four. I attended Mpumelelo
Primary School in Mkoba 15 suburb then did my secondary education at Mkoba 3
High School and wrote my O-level in 2007,” he said.

Mr Chikutira said because of financial challenges he was facing then, he
didn’t proceed to A-level like most of his peers.

In 2009 after realising that he was wasting his years doing nothing, he
started doing all kinds of jobs to make a living in Gweru.

“I didn’t go to A-level because of financial challenges and I started
hustling. Firstly, I sold ice at Kudzanayi Long Distance Bus Terminus to
vendors who were selling cool drinks and other beverages and managed to
raise money to get my driver’s licence with the aid of my single mum who
used to be a cross-border trader.

“After I got my driver’s licence in 2010, I started driving a kombi and it
was a hard time because I was the youngest driver at the rank. TM rank was
then the busiest local rank in Gweru and was notorious for touts and rank
marshals who at times could be a menace
even to members of the public,” said Mr Chikutira.

“I then decided to quit the job just after eight months. Obviously, my
family members were disappointed by my choice then because they didn’t want
me to just stay at home doing nothing. Remember my mother had gone out of
her way to raise funds to assist me to acquire the licence. So quitting was
to them the worst decision.”

Mr Chikutira said he then traded the licence for a career in the workshop.
“That is when I decided to go and pursue my dream of becoming a diesel
plant fitter. I enrolled at Gweru Polytechnic in 2011 and did a course which
changed my life for the better,” he said.

Life at college, he said, was not that difficult for him since he didn’t
have to bother his mother about transport fares.

“I didn’t pay bus fares since I was enjoying my benefits as an ex-commuter
omnibus driver. The drivers back then would give me free rides to and from
the college and all went well. I went for my attachment in Harare at Premier
Forklifts and came back in 2013 to Gweru Polytechnic to do my final year,”
said Mr Chikutira.

“After college, I secured a job as an assistant fitter at a local company
for two years but unfortunately the company closed.”

Mr Chikutira said he then worked for a Chinese company from 2015 to 2020.
“It was a fascinating experience for me to work with the Chinese because I
learnt a lot about running a business and dealing with employees. At first,
it was hard because of the language barrier but as time went on we started
understanding each,” he said.

Using my savings and some side hustles, I managed to buy my first box truck
in 2019 and through hard work and persistence, I now have two box trucks.”

Mr Chikutira said starting a business from scratch is very scary.
“The name of my company is Fix It Logistics and we offer transport
services. We carry anything around Zimbabwe. I have two drivers and if there
are any challenges, I also drive,” he said.

Mr Chikutira said his future plan is to own the biggest transport logistics
company in Africa.

“The path to success is not always easy and one must remain focused on
their dream and anything is achievable with the right mindset,” he said.-The
Chronicle

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2023 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email: