Entrepreneurship Zone: 07 June 2023 :: Côte d’Ivoire: Building a cosmetics business with shea butter

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Wed Jun 7 03:17:34 CAT 2023

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com/> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<http://www.bulls.co.zw/blog> Bullish Thoughts
<http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Entrepreneurship Zone: 07 June 2023 ::  Côte d’Ivoire: Building a cosmetics
business with shea butter

·

 <https://www.hyundai.co.zw/> Mouahié Kouassi founded Agrikraft, a
cosmetics business in Côte d’Ivoire, that transforms locally-sourced shea
butter into various products.

Twenty-seven-year-old Mouahié Kouassi is in a hurry to get to her cosmetics
store in the upmarket suburb of Cocody in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. She needs
to urgently take stock of her inventory and review the sales from the
previous week, as she’s worried about a possible delay in stock deliveries.

“Our production plant is undergoing renovation, and we have taken all
necessary measures to ensure our products are still available in our
commercial spaces. But I still need to confirm that we have enough remaining
stock to fulfil client orders,” she explains.

Kouassi, who holds degrees in biological engineering and agronomy from
France and Austria and a master’s degree in international agribusiness,
returned to Côte d’Ivoire in 2019 to put her knowledge to use by processing
locally-sourced agricultural products.

She decided to start with shea butter, commonly referred to in her home
country as ‘women’s gold’.

“I chose shea butter because it’s a product I’ve used since I was a child
for my hair and body … I realised that in Europe, people tend to transform
and consume what they produce, which is not the case in Côte d’Ivoire. With
my mostly young and female team, we transform shea butter into innovative
natural cosmetics for hair and body,” explained Kouassi.

A government study released in 2018 reveals that shea butter ranks as the
country’s third-largest export product. The annual yield is 250,000 tonnes,
positioning Côte d’Ivoire as the fifth-highest global exporter of shea
butter. Despite this, a significant proportion of this shea crop is exported
in its raw state, with minimal value addition taking place domestically.
Agrikraft hopes to change that.

To set up her company, Agrikraft, Kouassi received financial support from
her family and, in addition to this, received two million CFA francs (3,270
US dollars) through her participation in a support programme for small
agro-transformation, organised by the Chamber of Commerce of Côte d’Ivoire.

The shea butter supplied to Kouassi comes from women residing in the rural
areas of Korhogo, in the northern region of Côte d’Ivoire. These women send
their shea butter to Kouassi monthly by bus.

“When we receive the stock of shea butter, we set to work to transform this
natural butter which is done step by step. We do everything carefully under
hygienic conditions, from processing to boxing and packaging,” said Kouame
Olivia, one of the employees of Agrikraft.

On receipt, the shea is weighed and moved to production, where it’s mixed,
whipped, and occasionally hand-kneaded for a smoother, finer product.

The team adds other ingredients to obtain cosmetic creams. Once the shea
product is prepared, it is packaged and labelled. Samples are then sent to a
laboratory for testing and approval. Once approved, the product is
distributed to various points of sale, including grocery stores and
pharmacies.

Confronted by the distinctive smell and texture of a vegetable product,
Kouassi saw not a hurdle, but an opportunity to innovate. “As a biologist, I
wondered how I could try to solve the smell and texture problems to make
shea butter easier to use and that’s how I started producing vanilla and
lemon whipped shea butter,” she explained.

Her company currently offers a variety of shea body butter types, including
vanilla, lemon, and baobab whipped shea butter, as well as the classic plain
shea butter. All her products comply with organic certification standards.

Kouassi sells approximately 500 jars of Agrikraft products daily, priced
between nine and 10 US dollars.

The products are not only sold in Côte d’Ivoire but are also being exported
to other countries. “Due to the high demand from foreign customers, we have
decided to set up a sales outlet in Gatineau, Canada, and I know soon I’ll
also be in many other countries,” Kouassi noted.

Mouahié Kouassi, founder of Agrikraft posing for a picture while holding
her products.

By Ange Kumasi, bird story agency

- howwemadeitinafrica

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2023 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email: