Entrepreneurship Zone: 27 March 2023 :: BuuPass: Digitalising East Africa’s transportation industry

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Mon Mar 27 01:01:15 CAT 2023

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com/> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<http://www.bulls.co.zw/blog> Bullish Thoughts
<http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Entrepreneurship Zone: 27 March 2023 ::  BuuPass: Digitalising East
Africa’s transportation industry

*

BuuPass founders Sonia Kabra, from India, and Wyclife Omondi, from Kenya,
first met while attending college in the United States.

Their shared interest in addressing the challenges of Africa’s public
transportation led them to establish BuuPass, an online platform
streamlining bookings for intercity bus, train and plane travel. Currently,
BuuPass collaborates with 29 active bus companies, boasting a fleet size of
over 1,200 vehicles, and serves as the exclusive ticket provider for Kenya
Railways. Earlier this year, the company received investment from Renew
Capital.

In this rapid-fire Q&A, Kabra and Omondi discuss the BuuPass journey.

What inspired you to start BuuPass?

We met at Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana in the United States. We
shared similar interests in finding solutions to existing problems. We both
shared experiences with inaccessible transportation from our home countries
(India and Kenya) and had the idea to bring to market a solution that would
make transportation more accessible and efficient. We participated in a
series of student business competitions, and we won a 2016 $1 million Hult
Prize that helped us to start BuuPass.

What major challenges have you observed within Kenya’s transportation
sector?

When we first started BuuPass, the digitisation of Kenya’s transportation
sector was still in its early stages. Our initial solution focused on
building a booking platform, but once we entered the market, we quickly
realised that the main challenge was the lack of digitisation among bus
operators. Many of these companies were still using pen and paper for their
ticketing processes, and they lacked a centralised data source to inform
their business decisions. To address this gap, we developed a bus management
system that allows our clients to digitise their processes. The system
allows the bus operators to set up their routes, booking stations and
real-time ticket booking, as well as access daily reports on their business
transactions.

We also identified cargo management as another challenge for bus operators,
and in response, we’ve expanded our services to include a cargo management
solution. Our goal is to help digitise the transportation sector in East
Africa and ultimately improve the customer experience for travellers.

What advice do you have for investors that are looking to invest in African
enterprises?

One of the gaps I often see with investors is the lack of understanding of
local context. An investor who is based in Africa or one who understands the
context of the market would easily see the scale and opportunity of the
transportation problem. I believe that building this knowledge and making
the effort to understand the context is extremely important for investors.

- Howwemadeitinafrica

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2023 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email: