Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 19 September 2023

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Tue Sep 19 11:14:29 CAT 2023

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/> Bullish
Thoughts        <http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 19 September 2023

 <https://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

ü  Africa: Tinubu Seeks Reform of Global Finance Bodies in Africa's Interest

ü  Nigeria: Youth Employment Is Key to Nation's Growth - Dangote

ü  Nigeria: Youth Employment Is Key to Nation's Growth - Dangote

ü  Nigeria: Amid Nass Probe - Neiti Uncovers U.S.$9.85 Billion Debts Owed
Govt By Oil Firms, Others

ü  Nigeria: Govt, Wema Bank to Train 2 Million Youths On Digital Skills,
Empower 1 Million SMEs

ü  Rwanda: Inside the Multi-Billion Inzovu Mall Kigali's Largest Shopping
Center

ü  South Africa: Copper Boom Sparks Conflict Between Mine and Residents of
Northern Cape Town

ü  Rwanda to Deploy Drones in Fighting Environmental Crimes

ü  Elon Musk: Social media platform X could go behind paywall

ü  Johnny Kitagawa: Japan firms cut ties with scandal-hit talent agency

ü  IMF pledges to stay in 'our lane' on climate

 <https://www.cloverleaf.co.zw/> Africa: Tinubu Seeks Reform of Global
Finance Bodies in Africa's Interest

President Bola Tinubu yesterday sought the reform of the global finance
bodies in Africa's interest as he engaged in bilateral discussion with South
African president, Cyril Ramaphosa, in New York City, ahead of the United
Nations General Assembly.

Tinubu in a statement by presidential spokesman, Ajuri Ngelale asserted that
Africa must have a consensus view that the hundreds of billions of dollars
spent through International Development Finance Institutions over the years
must meet the specific needs of developing democracies in Africa, even if it
is done with exclusive regard for their own enlightened self-interest.

"During the end of the Second World War, the Marshall Plan was established
for the reconstruction and economic restoration of European nations through
Bretton Woods institutions. Where has this presence been for Africa? We have
to be careful not to replace the broken shackle of yesterday with a new set
of shackles.

"You cannot have a stable democracy in the presence of a poverty of
knowledge and a starvation of people. Democracy without food on the table is
a breeding ground for what will consume us, if care is not taken.

"We must join hands and agree that International Finance Institutions
require reform as Africa is not to be a ground for economic scavenging any
longer, but it is a place with gifted people that is ready for investment
and cooperation.

"We have all the human and natural resources required between our nations.
We can collaborate in a mutually beneficial way that enriches our
populations. South African Mining industries have a role to play in the
Nigerian solid minerals development sector. Your business community has done
well in Nigerian Telecommunications.

"We have great mineral wealth across our land, and you have good expertise
in this area. We expect to deliver jobs and mutually beneficial results in
this area as brother and sister countries," the President affirmed.

Referencing President Tinubu's quick implementation of what he called
"brave" economic reforms, the South African president agreed that the two
countries have much more wealth to create together in close and intentional
partnership, with each nation leveraging on each other's respective
strengths.

"We are two major economies on our continent, and it is important that we
deepen economic ties, particularly in light of the African Continental Free
Trade Agreement. We are very keen on the deepening of our economic
relations," the South African president said.

The South African president emphasized that history has proven that Nigeria
and South Africa can move the world on matters of mutual concern when the
two nations operate on the same wavelength.

"We would love to see Nigeria and South Africa working closely together on a
number of issues because whenever we join hands, we have made an impact
globally through those joint positions. Together, we can move the global
south forward. We are a continent that has been plundered. And wealthy
nations made so much of it from us, and we must seek out partners who will
help us to advance our own interests," the South African President
emphasized.

Recognising President Tinubu's effective stewardship as the chairman of the
ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State, the South African leader said that
Southern Africa needed to emulate the solidarity being demonstrated in West
Africa, following the Niger crisis.

"We believe that we have a lot to learn from ECOWAS and its unity in
reaching consensus positions on sub-regional matters. This is something we
seek to emulate in the Southern African sub-region in view of events in
Mozambique and other areas," President Ramaphosa said.

The South African leader also used the opportunity of the bilateral
engagement to extend an invitation to President Bola Tinubu to visit South
Africa, following President Ramaphosa's recent visit to Nigeria, as part of
efforts to deepen economic ties and the broader relationship between both
countries.

While accepting the invitation, President Tinubu affirmed that an Africa, in
which Nigeria and South Africa are working in synergy to advance their
common interests, is the strongest version of the continent, which can make
more impact on global affairs for the benefit of over one billion Africans
with its enormous human and natural resource wealth.-Leadership.

Nigeria: Youth Employment Is Key to Nation's Growth - Dangote

The Pan-African Conglomerate, Dangote Industries Limited has inducted a new
batch of Graduate Trainees in its Graduate Trainee programme, with the
management declaring that continuous investments in critical sectors of the
economy to create employment and promote decent jobs is irrevocable.

Addressing the trainees yesterday, President of Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote
gave the trajectory of the Dangote businesses explaining it transited from
being a commodity trading company to manufacturing in the quest to
contribute the industrial development of the country thus repositioning
Nigeria in the African industrial landscape.

He explained that the mission of the Group is to touch the peoples' lives by
providing their basic needs and that this could only be fulfilled through
manufacturing of the goods that could meet the people's needs hence the
massive investments in various sectors of the economy.

According to him, manufacturing to meet the people's needs comes with
employment creation as manufacturing is one of the potent ways of lifting
the people from poverty through creation of gainful employment which has led
the institution of the graduate trainee programme of which they are
beneficiaries.

He added it was in the quest to meet the peoples' need through massive job
creation that his Group added three new business porfolios worth over
$20billion in refinery, Petrochemical and fertiliser.

The investments according to him will also generate about $16billion in
foreign exchange for the country and a combined 250,000 jobs to help in
reducing joblessness among the youths.

He highlighted the core values of the Dangote organisation as Customer
Service, Entrepreneurship, Excellence and Leadership and urged the new
trainees to dream big and be passionate about their job.

Also addressing the trainees, the Group Managing Director of Dangote
Industries Limited, Kunle Alake said Dangote Group is passionate about its
vision and mission and told the trainees to show the right attitude to work
when deployed so as to contribute to the continuous growth of the company
while also having a fulfilled career.

While taking them through various portfolios of the Group, he told them to
make the best use of the opportunity offered them by being selected among
hundreds that applied for the training and be dilgent in whatever they are
doing.

In her presentation, the Dangote Industries Limited, Group Chief Human
Resources Officer, Nglan Niat asked the trainees to consider themselves
lucky to have scaled through thorough screening process and come out
successfully, describing their selection as a big opportunity as they have
variety of Business Units to choose from when ready for
deployment.-Vanguard.

[...]

The House of Representatives ad-hoc committee investigating crude oil theft
and loss of revenues from oil and gas companies has again insisted that
agencies and other stakeholders in the industry evading the ongoing
investigation appear before it unfailingly.

This is as the total unremitted revenues to the Federation by some relevant
government agencies and companies in the oil and gas sector in the year 2021
have risen to over $9.85 billion.

The figure and other vital pieces of information and data about Nigeria's
petroleum sector were revealed in the 2021 Oil and Gas Industry Report
unveiled by the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
(NEITI), in Abuja, yesterday.

LEADERSHIP reports that the investigative panel has insisted that the heads
of the Nigeria National Petroleum Ltd, (NNPCL), Nigeria Maritime
Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) and the Nigeria Inland Waterways
Authority (NIWA), amongst others, must appear physically for the
investigation.

This is even as the committee has continued to unearth stunning revelations
of massive oil theft, suggesting grave collusion of regulatory agencies and
their collaborators in the oil and gas sector.

A compilation of the outstanding financial liabilities due to the Federation
by the NEITI report indicated that a total of $13.591 million revenues was
payable to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) as of July 31, 2023,
while the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) had
outstanding tax collectible revenues of $8.251 billion as at December 31,
2022.

The report also showed that over 80 per cent of these outstanding financial
liabilities are owed by NNPCL

Executive secretary of NEITI, Dr. Orji Ogbonnaya Orji, who presented the
highlights of the report, stated that the information and data contained in
NEITI's latest report paid special attention to helping the government at
all levels to shore up revenue, support national development and poverty
reduction through resource mobilisation. The report therefore provided an
update on the financial liabilities of the NNPCL and some companies to the
federation.

He lamented that despite the concerted efforts made last year to recover
some of the revenues through the Ad Hoc Committee set up by the National
Assembly, the 2021 figures showed an increase.

The secretary to the government of the Federation, Senator George Akume, who
was represented by the permanent secretary, Political and Economic Affairs,
Mrs. Esuabana Nko, while unveiling the report, reaffirmed the federal
government's commitment to support and deepen the implementation of EITI in
Nigeria.

The SGF said, "President Bola Tinubu's administration is fully committed to
the fight against corruption in the extractive industry in particular, and
in other sectors of the economy. As an Administration, we are convinced that
the revival of our economy and the eight-point agenda that we recently
unfolded cannot yield the desired result if we do not support and strengthen
anti-corruption and reform-oriented agencies like NEITI.

"The NEITI 2021 Industry Report being unveiled is quite timely, coming when
the present administration is fully committed to shoring up revenues through
priority attention to attracting investments to the key sectors of our
economy, the oil and gas sector being one of them".

On his part, the chairman, Senate Committee on Oil and Gas Host Communities,
Sen. Benson Agadaga, reaffirmed the government's commitment to implementing
the recommendations of the NEITI oil and gas report.

"Be assured that the federal government will carefully study this important
report and adopt it as a valuable working document as part of our overall
reform programme for the oil and gas sector", he stated.

Also, chairman, Senate Committee on Petroleum Upstream Sen. Eteng Williams
commended the vital role NEITI is playing and urged NEITI to continue to
ensure revenue mobilisation for the country now that subsidy is gone.

The chairman, House Committee on Petroleum Resources (Downstream) Hon.
Ikeagwuonu Ugochinyere pledged to lay the report on the floor of the House
for it to be debated extensively to ensure the implementation of the
recommendations as enshrined in Sections 3 and 4 of the NEITI Act.

"Working together, we will ensure the realisation of the government's desire
to diversify the economy for the attainment of alternative source(s) of
revenue and clean energy; that will bring about the realisation of the
projected one trillion-dollar revenue for Nigeria in the next eight years.".

The minister of budget and national economic planning, Sen. Abubakar Atiku
Bagudu, represented by the permanent secretary, Nebeolisa Anako, said the
data generated by NEITI would help the ministry in its planning mandate for
the country.

"The budget outlay for the country for the current national development plan
for five years is N348 trillion. A majority of this inflow is going to be
from the private sector and the oil and gas sector is key to the realisation
of this goal," he said.

The NEITI 2021 Oil and Gas report published yesterday in Abuja, with the
theme: "NEITI Oil & Gas Industry Report 2021: Relevance Built On Revenue
Growth And Impact", also made several vital disclosures in line with the
NEITI Act 2007 and the EITI 2019 Standard.

The report showed that Nigeria earned a total revenue of $23.046 billion
from the sector in 2021, which is about 13 per cent higher than the
corresponding total of $20.43 billion realised in 2020.

A breakdown of the earnings showed that about $8.67 billion, or 37.6 per
cent of the revenue, was realised from the sale of crude oil and gas; $13.37
billion, or 58.02 per cent, from taxes and other specific revenue flows, and
$1.01 billion, or 4.38 percent, went into payments to sub-national entities.

An analysis of the total revenue realised, the report stated, showed
unremitted revenues and quasi-fiscal expenditure by the NNPCL of $1.95bn
(8.47 per cent) and $6.93 billion (30.08 per cent) respectively.

Transfers to the Federation amounted to $13.2bn (57.27 per cent), while
sub-national payments totalled $963.63 million, or 4.18 per cent. Available
revenue for sharing by the federating units after the deductions, and in
accordance with the revenue allocation formula, was $13.2billion which
represented 57.27 per cent of the total revenue collected. This is lower
than the 71.7 per cent shared in 2020.

The quasi-fiscal expenditure of $6.931 billion (equivalent of N2.651
trillion) was deducted from the Federation's revenue before remittance
without appropriation by the National Assembly. A breakdown of the $6.93
billion deductions showed payments of $3.52 billion or 15 per cent for Joint
Venture Cost Recovery and $3.031 billion (about N1.16 trillion) or 13.15 per
cent for products subsidy/value loss.

Other deductions are $258.43 million for government priority projects;
$75.51mn for pipeline maintenance and holding costs and $42.40 million for
crude oil and products losses.

The NEITI report also observed that none of the refineries was operational
in 2021 despite spending about N200 billion between 2020 and 2021 on
refinery rehabilitation which was deducted from the federation sales
proceeds. These deductions, the report reiterated, remains a heavy cost to
Federation Revenue remittances.

In addition, the report said about $1.95 billion, or 8.47 per cent of the
total revenue, was not transferred to the Federation Account by the NNPCL
during the year under review.

A breakdown of the withheld revenue included $722.6million for NLNG
dividend; $871.15 million from domestic crude sales, $859,583 miscellaneous
revenue and $286.42 million from export crude sales. $24.332 million and
$45.76 million were withheld from transportation revenue and domestic gas
proceeds.

A 10-year trend analysis of financial flows from the oil and gas sector from
2012 to 2021 showed earnings of $348.63 billion.

On crude oil production and exports, the NEITI report indicated that total
metered crude oil production was 634.60 million barrels, out of which the
nation lost 68.47 million barrels to production adjustment, measurement
error, theft and sabotage. The figure showed a 13 per cent reduction from
the production volumes of 2020.

The report pointed out that a total 29 companies suffered crude losses from
theft and sabotage, amounting to 37.57 million barrels. The decline in crude
oil losses due to theft and sabotage from 39.08million barrels in 2020 to
37.57million barrels in 2021 was generally due to the decline in crude oil
production during this period.

On gas production and utilisation, the NEITI report said a total of
2.74million standard cubic feet of gas was produced during the year, with
the volume about 8.96 percent lower than the 3,013,634mmscf produced in
2020. Total gas utilised in 2021 stood at 98 per cent, while 2% could not be
accounted for by the companies based on the templates submitted.

With the nation's gross domestic products put at about $434.17 billion, the
report said the oil and gas sector contributed about 7.24 per cent to the
GDP and $ 36.55 billion (N14.40 trillion) to total exports of $ 47.31
billion (N18.91 trillion). This represented 76.22 per cent of the total
exports in 2021, 0.8 per cent higher than in 2020. 19,171 employees were
said to be working in the sector in 2021.

Similarly, the total government revenue generated in 2021 was N10.75
trillion to which the oil and gas sector contributed N4.358 trillion. This
represents about 40.55 per cent of the total revenue compared to 51 per cent
in 2020. The higher export value in 2021 compared to 2020 was due to the
increase in crude oil price in 2021 from $41.65 per barrel to $66.97 per
barrel, the NEITI report disclosed.

Also, NEITI in the 2021 report observed that the majority of the oil and gas
companies in Nigeria exhibit complex structures that shield the real
identities of their owners, thereby limiting the impacts of efforts at
beneficial ownership disclosures. It called on the NUPRC to implement fully
the relevant sections of the PIA on Beneficial Ownership reporting.

...Seeks audit of PMS subsidy payments, crude swap

Other copious recommendations made by NEITI in its 2021 report are that NNPC
should transparently disclose details of the subsidy and the beneficiaries
of the payments, render accounts on project eagle loans transaction and
review and investigate all pre-export financing arrangements and other loan
arrangements done in exchange for the nation's crude oil and gas. NEITI also
recommended that government should commission a comprehensive audit of the
PMS subsidy-related financial transactions between NNPC and the Federation,
determine all liabilities and ensure accurate and verified data.

NEITI also drew attention to the practice of computing 13% derivation on the
balance of revenue after deductions from the total collections which it
advised should be discontinued. Rather, the 13% derivation should be based
on total collections for the relevant period in accordance with Section
162(2) of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The report, which was reconciled on behalf of NEITI by an Independent
Administrator, Messrs Taju Audu & Co., had a total of 69 companies and 13
government agencies, the NNPCL, the Nigeria LNG and Nigeria Sao Tome Joint
Development Authority, with 23 revenue streams covered. One company, Lekoil
Limited, did not submit any information for reconciliation, but was captured
to have paid over $7.76million.

Dr. Orji urged policy makers to take seriously the findings and
recommendations of the NEITI oil and gas report and use the data for
economic planning and reforms of the sector. To the civil society, he stated
that the information was to support their advocacy and public debates as
well as tracking of reforms in the sector with a view to holding government
at all levels and companies accountable, ensuring that the revenues from the
sector is utilised for the benefit of the citizens.

LEADERSHIP reports that Speaker Abbas Tajudeen had set up the Adhoc
Committee at the wake of the 10th House of Representatives following a
motion sponsored by Rep. Philip Agbese (APC, Benue).

However, the Committee, which is headed by Hon. Kabiru Alhassan Usman Rurum
(NNPP, Kano), was only inaugurated on September 7, 2023, due to alleged
frustrations by some critical stakeholders in the oil sector.

Invitations were sent to the Ministry of Petroleum Resources NNPCL), Nigeria
Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC), NIMASA, NIWA and other
stakeholders several times but they failed to turn up.

At the inauguration of the Ad-hoc committee, Speaker Abbas, who was
represented by former House Leader, Hon. Alhassan Ado Doguwa, decried that
Nigeria had lost over N16tr to oil theft in 11 years.

It was alleged, during the Committee's sitting last week, that most of the
marginal field operators are aiding oil theft in order to compliment
shortfalls in their productions.

LEADERSHIP gathered that the Committee has held extensive interactions with
security agencies like the Nigeria Navy, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence
Corps, Nigeria Police Intelligence Unit and others responsible for the
security of oil and gas infrastructure.

The Committee has also extended invitations to the operators of the marginal
fields, 14 production sharing contract operators and 57 joint venture
operators for appearance.

...NNPCL suspected of collusion

One of the stunning revelations during the sitting of the Adhoc Committee
was the seeming massive corruption and collusion of regulatory agencies at
the export loading terminals.

Most of these thefts occur offshore and most of Nigeria's export loading
platforms are offshore.

The Committee is also investigating the allegation that many senior serving
and retired officers of the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Agency
(formerly DPR) may also be complicit as it is alleged that some of them may
have vested interests in the marginal fields and the abandoned oil wells
which litter the entire Niger Delta.

Submissions at the Committee also show that most of the abandoned and
non-decommissioned oil wells and pipelines had escalated incidences of oil
theft.

Circumstances surrounding the release of arrested and complicit vessels by
prosecuting agencies are also being looked into by the Committee.

Although the chairman of the Ad-hoc committee, in his remarks at the
continued investigative hearing last Friday, stated that his Committee would
not jump into conclusion on any allegation as anyone or agency alleged to be
involved in anything would have an opportunity to make their submission to
the committee; it does appear the Committee would be short-lived, as
indications abound that the House would soon disband the Adhoc Committee.

It was authoritatively gathered that there is general information that all
Adhoc Committees should fold up and submit reports as the House reconvenes
from its long vacation this week.

While this is a common tradition with the National Assembly to unwind Adhoc
Committees when standing committees are inaugurated, there are, however,
exceptional cases where Adhoc Committees, especially those with sensitive
mandates and which scope are beyond the configuration of standing
committees, are allowed to outlive others until their aims are achieved.

Already, there are rumours and unsubstantiated reports of serious and
intense moves by critical stakeholders, who are already being exposed at the
investigations, to thwart the efforts of Speaker Abbas and cause the
miscarriage of the Adhoc Committee.

A source hinted to this newspaper that some complicit industry operators
have boasted that nothing would come out of this House investigation, like
the previous ones before it.

However, interactions with some members of the Committee at the weekend show
that the committee enjoys the full support of the leadership of the 10th
House of Representatives.

"I am telling you, in good confidence, that the Committee has made
appreciable progress and there are more grounds to be covered. I know it is
not easy finding corruption in this country, but I tell you, God will help
us.

"By the time this Committee finishes and submits its reports, heads will
roll and Nigerians will salute the chairman and the leadership of the House
for finding a solution to this age-long corruption in the oil and gas
sector", one of the members told LEADERSHIP.-Leadership.

Nigeria: Govt, Wema Bank to Train 2 Million Youths On Digital Skills,
Empower 1 Million SMEs

WEMA Bank, in partnership with the Office of the Vice President has
concluded arrangements to commence an initiative that will impact two
million youths and one million Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs)
across the country.

Vice President Kashim Shettima received an update report on the programme
yesterday during a courtesy visit by the Managing Director of WEMA Bank, Mr
Moruf Oseni, to the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The delegation were at the Villa to brief the vice president on the progress
made in the implementation of the FGN-ALAT Digital Skill-Novation Programme
- an initiative of a partnership between the Federal Government and WEMA
Bank to train two million youths and empower one million MSMEs across
Nigeria.

Shettima hailed the commitment and partnership of the bank for the
initiative in furtherance of the pledge to support the job creation agenda
of the Tinubu administration.

The vice president, while commenting on the support and commitment of the
bank in the execution of the initiative, said "I will call on you to be
above board. You are a good organization. I want to thank you most sincerely
for your initiative and commitment, be rest assured that we will fulfill our
own part of the bargain."

Addressing State House reporters later, Oseni said they were at the
Presidential Villa to brief Shettima on "how far we have gone on the
FGN/ALAT project. Vice President was very happy, and shortly you will hear
from his office of how we want to progress with this programme, part of this
is to help create innovation hubs across the country for us.

"Mr President came out with a very bold and audacious plan on how to revive
the Nigerian economy."-Daily Trust.\

Rwanda: Inside the Multi-Billion Inzovu Mall Kigali's Largest Shopping
Center

A multi-billion-dollar shopping center named Inzovu Mall under construction
is expected to be completed in September 2025.

Once complete and operational, the shopping mall being constructed by French
firm Groupe Duval through Duval Great Lakes is expected to complement the
tourism experience for guests in the country. Duval Great Lakes Ltd is owned
by Groupe Duval in partnership with a local businessman Vicky Murabukirwa,
the Managing Director of Duval Great Lakes.

In an exclusive interview with The New Times, Murabukirwa, on Monday,
September 18, said that construction already commenced and is scheduled to
end in September 2025. The project is on track to begin operations in
December of that same year, he said.

"On July 13, following the signing of a finance contract with IFC and
PROPARCO, we initiated the site in August to complete it by September 2025.
The total built-up area will encompass approximately 40,000 square meters,
accompanied by parking facilities for around 500 cars," he explained.

The City of Kigali's largest shopping center will occupy the premises of the
former justice ministry adjacent to the Kigali Convention Centre.

According to Murabukirwa, the project will cost around $68 million,
approximately Rwf81 million. Commenting on what will be featured in the
mall, he emphasized its multifaceted offerings designed to complement the
Kigali Convention Center.

Bringing in international brands

He said that the project will include a four-star hotel with 95 rooms, a
contemporary office block, an extensive retail section, spacious
hypermarkets, a diverse range of food and beverage outlets, elegant
restaurants, fully-equipped conference rooms, reputable banks, and leisure
facilities.

"In addition to these, there is a plan for a duty-free mall. While specific
details are still coming, the concept involves bringing in international
brands, and we are currently collaborating with the Rwanda Development Board
to establish the duty-free mechanism," he added.

Murabukirwa said the project aligns with the Rwanda Climate and Development
Report 2022 (CCDR) by the World Bank Group, as well as the country's vision
to embrace green practices through the utilization of energy-efficient
materials and technologies aimed at mitigating greenhouse gas emissions.

In addition, commenting on what people should expect from the project beyond
its tourism aspects, he emphasized that it would have several positive
impacts.

These include "contributing to the beautification of the area, generating
employment opportunities, fostering the growth of new businesses, and
playing a vital role in the country's development through tax contributions,
among other benefits."

"The idea was to bring what the country doesn't have and this will help
various people who pass through the country, from neighborhood countries,
foreigners as well as the Rwandans."

The project is one of the beneficiaries of the 'Manufacture and Build to
Recover Programme' which is extending tax breaks and tax credits to
businesses to reduce the cost of investment for new manufacturers as well as
those seeking to expand existing operations.

Introduced in 2020 the programme is aimed at boosting economic recovery
efforts by attracting private sector investments with specific incentives
for the manufacturing, agriculture, construction, and real estate
development sectors.-New Times.

South Africa: Copper Boom Sparks Conflict Between Mine and Residents of
Northern Cape Town

We visited Concordia, where 29 people were arrested for protesting against a
mine

Conflict has erupted in Concordia, a small and rocky town of 5,000 people in
the copper district of the Northern Cape.

Copper 360, a JSE-listed mining company, has started mining in the town
through its subsidiary Shirley Hayes-IPK (SHiP). Over the next few years,
the company intends to extract thousands of tonnes of copper. This comes
after Copper 360 announced a massive increase in its copper resources in the
area.

Right on the edge of the town is Wheal Julia, an old copper mine that has
been resurrected by SHiP.

Faced with their quiet way of life being upended, many oppose the mining
taking place so close to their doorsteps. Moreover, few Concordia residents
expect to get employment from the mine.

Concordia is a Namaqualand "kleindorpie" (small town). It's a 20km drive
north-east of Springbok. The surroundings are rocky, sparse and semi-arid --
except during the brief spring flower season when Namaqualand is blanketed
by colourful wildflowers.

The town used to be reserved for coloured people under apartheid. Nearly
everyone here speaks Afrikaans as a first language.

Much like the surrounding towns of Okiep, Springbok, and Nababeep, the town
has a rich mining history. The entire Nama Khoi Municipality is centred
around mining, which is the largest economic contributor and employs many of
the residents of the municipality.

About a five-minute drive from the town, on a dirt road, is Jubilee mine,
owned by SHiP. Here, on 9 August, community members protested outside one of
the mine's gates. Reports are conflicting, but apparently stones were thrown
between Concordia residents and mineworkers, most of whom are from Nababeep,
about 20km away. Nevertheless, by the afternoon everyone went home.

Then in the evening police officers went door-to-door in the town and
arrested 29 people in their homes. Northern Cape police spokesperson Timothy
Sam said that they were "investigating a case of public violence following
the arrest[s]".

Shereen Fortuin, a Concordia community leader, said she was arrested outside
her home at about 10pm on the day of the protest. A few people were jailed
at Springbok, a few at Steinkopf, and the rest at Nababeep.

"People who came and did nothing were arrested. That's the way things are
done," said Fortuin.

Ashraf Hendricks / GroundUp (CC BY-ND 4.0)

Billy Cloete was the oldest person arrested after the protest in August.

The arrested were released the next day.

Residents oppose the mining for several reasons. Some are convinced the
company is mining illegally, but the company says that it has complied with
legislation. It is the proximity of the mining to their homes that is the
root of their concerns, and what this will mean for the future of the town.

"They're not coming to the table to tell us what is going on," said Fortuin.
Though the company provided the community with mining permits issued from
the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE), residents say there
has been a lack of consultation. They are worried about the intensity of the
mining activity over an area which covers just over 19,000 hectares.

At 69-years old, Billy Cloete was the oldest person arrested.

Cloete lives alone in his house in the centre of the town. The long
cobblestone road to Cloete's front yard was covered in flowers when we
visited him. He worked in mining for 43 years. By the time he retired he had
worked his way up to being a superintendent. More than once Cloete insisted
that he is "not against development".

"It's about the way they want to mine," he said. "When I saw the areas where
they want to work ... I can't let this happen to the people here."

He said he worked with explosives frequently throughout his mining career
and explosives used in mines today are a lot more advanced than he used, he
said, with a blast radius of 500m. "Mining is a fun thing. But it is also a
very dangerous thing," he said.

He worries about pollution, the gases the explosives might let off, and
whether people's homes will be damaged. "I don't have long to live anymore.
I'm not worried about myself. I'm worried about our next generation."

"I'm very against the way they are doing things here in Concordia. The
community is not being recognised."

Environmental Impact Assessment

Copper 360 and SHiP's Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) notes the use of
explosives and the "potential risk" of "dust, noise and vibration associated
with blasting of ore underground at two mines, Rietberg and Homeep, and in
the open pit at Jubilee. All three of these mines are close to Concordia.

The EIA also notes potential pollution of groundwater that the mines would
then have to treat.

Ashraf Hendricks / GroundUp (CC BY-ND 4.0)

A sign at the entrance to Concordia.

The EIA states that the company will employ 178 people directly and will
benefit at least 20 local businesses.

Wheal Julia

The area has a rich history of commercial copper mining stretching back to
the 1800s. Commercial mining started in the 1860s. For many years copper ore
was transported by the Cape Copper Company on the Namaqualand railway
running from the towns of Okiep, Concordia and Nababeep (known today as the
Okiep Copper District) to Port Nolloth harbour on the West Coast.

In the 1940s the Okiep Copper Company (OCC) started operating and extracted
ore at various sites during a copper boom. One such historic mine is Wheal
Julia, located in Concordia. Jubilee, where the protest took place on 9
August, is also a historic mine.

Right opposite the Wheal Julia mine, on the outskirts of Concordia, lives
Mina Henn in a large eight-bedroom house that she and her husband moved to
in 1978. She recalled how children stole apricots from the tree at the front
of the house. The tree is still there.

"My father worked for the mines. My husband worked for the mines ... You
could say the mines have always been the only big jobs," said Henn.

Nevertheless Henn is worried about how her house will be affected by mining
at Wheal Julia and whether it will become dangerous for her and her family
to live here much longer.

Arthur Cloete, a cattle farmer, told us that Namaqualand's dependency on
mining has caused a lot of "social ills". When the OCC closed down its mines
in the early 2000s, people lost their jobs and were left in "social ruins"
because the mines brought no long term benefits. He is concerned about how
cattle farmers on the outskirts of Concordia will be affected by the mining
at the Rietberg mine.

He says the older people worked on the mines for "'n appel en 'n ui" (an
apple and an onion - an Afrikaans idiom meaning very little). "It has always
been our land. Our community never benefited. The day the mines closed, we
were left with nothing," said Cloete.

Copper 360 CEO Jan Nelson recently gave Mining Weekly an extensive
interview. He said the company is currently "looking at about R12-billion to
R15-billion worth of copper in the ground".

Nelson also said Wheal Julia "is a surface deposit that's yielded fantastic
results".

Ashraf Hendricks / GroundUp (CC BY-ND 4.0)

The Concordia community met on August 24, 2023.

Nelson only responded briefly to GroundUp's detailed questions and request
for an interview. He emphasised that the mining activity was all legal.

But is mining at Wheal Julia legal?

The Concordia Communal Property Association (CPA), which falls under the
Transformation of Certain Rural Areas Act (TRANCRAA), runs recently
established communally-owned land. The land rights were officially handed
over to the community in late 2022. On 14 February 2023, the title deed for
the land was successfully transferred to the CPA, "solidifying their status
as the landowner", according to Nama Khoi Local Municipality spokesperson
Jason Milford.

A community meeting was held on 24 August at the Concordia community hall.
Over 100 residents attended. CPA chairperson Nuchey van Neel, addressing the
meeting, said that the community had not been properly consulted about the
intensity of the mining activities that would take place. This is despite a
public consultation process that was held in 2020, an important component of
any mine's environmental impact assessment.

"People didn't understand exactly what would happen with this mining
activity, where it will be, how it will affect people, and who will
eventually get something out of it," said van Neel.

Henk Smith is a lawyer who has for decades been representing communities in
the Northern Cape against mines. He is now representing the Concordia
community. At the meeting he stated that Copper 360's EIA did not deal with
Wheal Julia, and that SHiP had not been granted a permit to start mining
there. (Other than reiterating that their activities were legal, Copper 360
did not address our question about this.)

The EIA indeed only mentions three mines: Rietberg, Jubilee, and Homeep.

As a result, Smith said, the permit given by the DMRE was flawed.

And anyway, Smith added, "The law says you cannot mine within a town."
Community members cheered at this.

He said Jubilee and Wheal Julia should be rehabilitated rather than
resurrected. "It's not for new mining and extractive industries," said
Smith. Several residents then took turns to voice their opposition to the
mine.

In his response to GroundUp Nelson said: "We record that the Copper 360
group of companies remains committed to the communities where it will be
conducting mining operations, which includes Concordia. We are guided by our
principles and values to improve the lives of those people, and future
generations in the communities we engage with."

The DMRE acknowledged receipt of our questions but did not
respond.-GroundUp.

Rwanda to Deploy Drones in Fighting Environmental Crimes

Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) and the Ministry of Environment have
launched the use of drones in combating environmental crimes.

Environmental crime is an illegal act that directly harms the environment
and is the fourth largest criminal activity in the world. It is increasing
by five to seven per cent every year, according to reports.

The drones will collect information, conduct inspections for prevention, and
support investigations of environmental crimes.

"The drones will help to respond to and control activities that damage our
environment including land degradation, water pollution, and illegal logging
in protected areas," said Minister for Environment Jean d'Arc Mujawamariya.

"We thank the Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) who joined us in the fight
against environmental degradation where they conducted sensitisation
campaigns on environmental crimes, identified victims of those environmental
crimes, offenders and opened case files for prosecution," she said.

She said reports found that commonly degrading activities are in illegal
mining, communities that encroach the protected areas, especially parks,
riverbanks, and water pollution as well.

"This drone reaffirms the existing work of conducting inspections for
prevention, detection, and investigations of environmental crimes
countrywide. This drone will help to collect information from no-go areas
and the accurate data and information will inform further action," she said.

The minister said the partnership with RIB will learn from the existing good
partnership between Rwanda National Police and Rwanda Environment Management
Authority (REMA) in order to set up joint teams along with security forces
at the district level and other concerned institutions to take appropriate
measures to curb environmental degrading activities.

The drones will support the country's efforts in protecting the environment
as Rwanda seeks to achieve a vision to be carbon-neutral by 2050.

Rwanda has a long-term Green Growth and Climate Resilience Strategy and an
ambitious climate action plan to reduce emissions by 38 per cent by 2030.

Crimes to be investigated

The environmental degrading activities to be investigated include land
degradation, water pollution, and illegal logging, especially in protected
areas.

Environmental experts have recommended a thorough investigation into why the
Nyabarongo River continues to be polluted despite billions of money that
have been invested in its conservation and protection.

In 2022, President Paul Kagame grilled officials in charge of the
environment over increasing pollution in the Nyabarongo River.

Soil erosion is currently the major contributor to pollution in the
Nyabarongo River. According to environmental experts, mining activities are
also leading to the pollution of the Nyabarongo River.

At least five mining companies, five clay mining activities, and four sand
mining activities in the districts of Kamonyi, Muhanga, Gakenke, and
Ngororero were found to be polluting the environment last year.

Maxwell Gomera, UNDP Resident Representative described the drones to combat
environmental crimes: "These aren't just flying cameras; they're guardians
in the sky, protecting our land and people from the risks of illegal
activities.

"The drone will be used in the fight against environmental crimes by
enabling monitoring, detecting, and collecting evidence that will be used to
prosecute the culprits," said Rwanda Investigation Bureau Secretary General
Jeannot Ruhunga.

Abias Maniragaba, an environmental expert, said that encroachment is one of
the main environmental crimes in Rwanda.

According to the Auditor General report, for instance, the Nyabarongo River
buffer zone is being encroached. No activity is allowed 50 metres from water
bodies' shores.

However, the assessment realised that many activities have encroached 50
metres in buffer zones of lakes Kivu and Muhazi shores, as well as 10 metres
from the shores of rivers Nyabarongo and Sebeya, among other water bodies.

"The drone is timely to inspect and help in investigating environment crimes
given that there is a limited number of environment inspectors," Maniragaba
said.

He said that wildfires and wetlands encroachment should also be focused on
during environmental crime investigations.

"For instance, Nyungwe forest was recently burnt and nobody has been
arrested for the crime. Drone is a solution to detect polluters," he noted.
At least 125 hectares of Nyungwe forest were recently burnt.

According to a report from the Ministry in charge of Emergency Management,
wildfires have devastated nearly 1,000 hectares of forests within the last
three years. In 2020 alone, wildfires consumed 458 hectares of forests from
July to September, with the most affected districts being Bugesera, Gatsibo,
Kayonza, Muhanga, Nyamagabe, and Nyanza.

The report further reveals that wildfires scorched 160 hectares in 2021 and
73 hectares in 2023.

Measures to counter illegal logging and poaching in Rwanda's national parks
should maintain speed considering that the cases are still being recorded,
conservation experts have also said.

According to the REMA, owners of industries and public buildings have also
failed to conduct and comply with the environmental impact assessment to
avoid likely effects on the environment at the earliest time.

Anyone who carries out any activities of compacting or changing the nature
of the wetland except those related to research and science in protected
swamps pays an administrative fine of Rwf5 million and is ordered to
rehabilitate damages.

Any person who piles, abandons, disposes of wastes, or dumps wastewater or
materials in unauthorised public or private places pays a fine of Rwf50,000
and is ordered to remove substances or rehabilitate damages.

If the acts are committed by a person authorised to treat waste, they are
liable to an administrative fine of Rwf5 million, and the authorisation is
also suspended or withdrawn.

-New Times.

Elon Musk: Social media platform X could go behind paywall

Elon Musk has suggested that all users of X, formerly called Twitter, may
have to pay for access to the platform.

In a conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the
billionaire said a payment system was the only way to counter bots.

"We're moving to having a small monthly payment for use of the system," the
Tesla and SpaceX boss said.

The BBC approached X for further details but has not yet received a
statement from the company.

It is unclear whether this was just an off-the-cuff comment, or a signal of
firmer plans that have yet to be announced.

Mr Musk has long said that his solution for getting rid of bots and fake
accounts on the social media platform is charging for verification.

Since taking over Twitter last year he has looked to incentivise users to
pay for an enhanced service, which is now called X Premium.

This has been done by giving paid subscribers more features, like longer
posts and increased visibility on the platform.

However, users can currently still use X for free.

Although there is a clear financial interest for the company to charge
users, Mr Musk insisted that getting people to pay for the service is aimed
at tackling bots.

"A bot costs a fraction of a penny" to make he said. "But if somebody even
has to pay a few dollars or something, some minor amount, the effective cost
to bots is very high".

X Premium currently costs $8 (£6.50) a month in the US. The price differs
depending on which country a subscriber is in.

The world's richest person said that he was now looking at cheaper options
for users.

"We're actually going to come up with a lower tier pricing. So we just want
it to be just a small amount of money," he said.

"This is a longer discussion, but in my view, this is actually the only
defence against vast armies of bots," Mr Musk added.

However, a risk is that by putting X behind a paywall it may lose a large
chunk of its users. That in turn, could drive down advertising revenue,
which currently accounts for the vast majority of the company's income.

Mr Musk's conversation with the Israeli prime minister also touched on
antisemitism on X.

The platform has been accused by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) campaign
group of not doing enough to stop antisemitic content.

In a statement, the organisation said that Mr Musk was "engaging with and
elevating" antisemites.

Earlier this month, he said that the company would sue the ADL to "clear our
platform's name".

In the conversation with Mr Netanyahu, Mr Musk reiterated that he was
"against antisemitism".

Mr Netanyahu accepted the balance between free speech and content moderation
was a challenge but urged Mr Musk to get the balance right.

"I hope you find within the confines of the First Amendment, the ability to
stop not only antisemitism... but any collective hatred of people that
antisemitism represents," he said.

"I know you're committed to that", Mr Netanyahu added.-bbc

Johnny Kitagawa: Japan firms cut ties with scandal-hit talent agency

Major Japanese brands are cutting ties with the country's biggest talent
agency after it was engulfed by a sexual abuse scandal.

Firms including Nissan and Asahi say they will not renew any contracts with
Johnny and Associates.

Toyota, which previously had a contract with one of its top stars, told the
BBC it had no plans to sign any more deals featuring Johnny talents.

Japan's agriculture ministry has also said it would stop hiring the stars.

Johnny and Associates is Japan's biggest J-pop and boyband talent agency.

Last month, an independent investigation into the agency found its late
founder, Johnny Kitagawa, had abused hundreds of boys and young men over a
six-decade career as one of the most powerful entertainment figures in
Japan.

A BBC documentary about Kitagawa was aired in March, prompting national
debate and more J-pop stars to report their experiences of abuse.

Public pressure eventually led to the resignation earlier this month of
Julie Fujishima, Kitagawa's niece who became the boss of Johnny & Associates
when her uncle died in 2019.

Her resignation came after she publicly acknowledged for the first time the
sexual abuse committed by her uncle.

Johnny Kitagawa's sexual abuse: Japan's worst kept secret

The following day, drinks giant Asahi Group Holdings announced it would pull
ongoing television and online advertisements featuring the agency's stars.

"We should not book sales, even one yen, at the expense of human rights,"
its president, Atsushi Katsuki told the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

Several other major brands followed.

Nissan Motors told the BBC: "Due to conduct by Johnny & Associates that
contravenes our Human Rights Policy Statement, we will refrain from
developing new sales promotion materials using that talent agency until
further notice."

Some of the criticism includes how the agency's new boss, Noriyuki
Higashiyama, also faces allegations of sexually assaulting young boys.

Others have questioned why the firm has chosen to retain the name of a
sexual predator.

Until his death, Kitagawa remained a celebrated household name in Japan
despite reports about his crimes.

He held the world record for the most number-one artists, the most
number-one singles, and the most concerts produced by an individual.

But following the investigation, Guinness World Records announced it had
removed his achievements from its official website.

Last month, a United Nations working group visited Japan and its chair,
Damilola Olawuyi, also urged the government to carry out a "transparent and
legitimate investigation with a clear timeline" while accusing the country's
mainstream media of staying silent about the alleged abuse for decades.

The male-only talent agency dominated the entertainment industry until
recently, with TV stations afraid to lose access to Johnny's talent,
industry observers say.

But public opinion has shifted dramatically in recent months.

There has been growing pressure on TV shows to drop Johnny's stars from
their programming while many companies are postponing their decisions
whether to sponsor their shows.

Some artists who were represented by Johnny and Associates have also
defected to other agencies.-bbc

IMF pledges to stay in 'our lane' on climate

The head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has acknowledged its
limitations to act on climate change, saying other institutions can lead on
climate finance.

Kristalina Georgieva said the multilateral lender would "only do what we are
good at".

But she defended its focus so far on climate change after a top US official
said the IMF "should not be experts on climate issues".

The US is one of its biggest funders.

US officials have been pushing to refine the IMF's mission.

IMF director Kristalina Georgieva said other institutions, such as the World
Bank, can lead on "sectoral issues" including climate finance.

"We do what we are good at: sound policies for prosperity, growth and
employment," she said.

She did however add that climate shocks cannot be excluded from its policy
decisions, and that conversations about policies to promote financial
stability must continue to include climate issues.

Founded after World War Two to promote international economic stability, the
IMF is known for low-cost loans to governments in distress.

It is seen as having a key role to play at a time when forecasters expect
global growth to remain lower than recent historic norms.

What is the IMF and why does it matter?

The financial institution wields roughly $1tn (£807bn) in lending power,
receiving more than 15% of its budget from the US.

Some in the US have accused the fund of getting distracted from its core
mission by issues such as climate change.

Republicans have been especially vocal critic on this subject, but the White
House has also held up the IMF - and its fellow international financial
institution, the World Bank - for scrutiny.

In a speech earlier this month, the US Treasury Department's under-secretary
for international affairs, Jay Shambaugh, urged the lender to remain focused
on financial issues, while pledging increased financial support for the
institution.

"The IMF is full of incredibly talented people who can contribute positively
to a wide range of challenges facing the global economy, but we cannot let
the temptation to address every problem pull the IMF away from its core
mission of macroeconomic and exchange rate surveillance and guidance," he
said in a speech earlier this month. "That mission is too essential to stray
from."

Mark Plant, a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development,
said the White House wanted the IMF to have the right focus as the economic
risks of climate change become more urgent.

"It's clear the IMF, the World Bank, all the big international financial
institutions are going to have to step up to the plate. The question is what
role each of them plays," he said, adding that he expected it would be a
long debate.

"The fund, like all these institutions, is still finding its way," he
added.-bbc

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> bulls at bullszimbabwe.com

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

Date & Time

Companies under Cautionary

CBZH

GetBucks

EcoCash

Padenga

Econet

RTG

Fidelity

TSL

FMHL

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from s believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and d from third parties.

(c) 2023 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email:
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> bulls at bullszimbabwe.com Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell:
+263 77 344 1674