Entrepreneurship Zone: 27 August 2024: Investor identifies three opportunities in West Africa’s food and agriculture sector

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Tue Aug 27 09:57:27 CAT 2024

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com/> Bullszimbabwe.com        <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments        <http://www.bulls.co.zw/blog> Bullish Thoughts        <http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter         <https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook           <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn          <https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp         <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=Unsubscribe> Unsubscribe

Entrepreneurship Zone: 27 August 2024: Investor identifies three opportunities in West Africa’s food and agriculture sector

Sahel Capital managing partner Mezuo Nwuneli sees opportunities in packaged foods and snacks.

Sahel Capital is a private investment firm focused on food and agriculture in West Africa. In a recent interview with the African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA), Sahel managing partner Mezuo Nwuneli was asked to identify some of the investment opportunities in the region’s agriculture sector. Here is his response:

“There are three different investment areas we find exciting and where we are focusing our attention.

“The first is logistics and distribution – from plain logistics to last-mile distribution and cold-chain. There are many bottlenecks in getting food products to end markets, and capital investments in this sector can help increase the efficiency of moving goods around. Addressing and allocating capital to this sector is top of our agenda for the next couple of years.

“The next area of particular interest to us is import substitution – investing in sectors with significant import activity, even though the items can be produced competitively domestically. One example of this is our investment in Coscharis Farms, a large-scale integrated rice company with 2,500 hectares of commercial rice farmland and a 36,000 MTPA rice mill. Coscharis also sources rice from farmers throughout the community. Nigeria currently consumes seven million tonnes annually of which one-third of the volume is imported, and there is significant potential to ensure self-sufficiency.

“The third investment area we are focused on is packaged foods and snacks. Around half of Africa’s population is already urban and with one of the highest projected urbanisation rates in the world, consumption patterns are rapidly changing. People now look for more convenience and seek out packaged foods, which is different from what they would eat in rural areas. There is a huge opportunity to invest in companies able to produce a packaged food product at the right price point, which is key because many consumers in the region are price sensitive. We invested in Polyfilm Packaging in 2019, which produces the packaging material that wraps food and consumer products, to capture value from the growth of companies within this sector. The company has exceeded its business plan in the two years since we invested.”

—Howwemadeitinafrica

 Invest Cellphone:    +263 71 944 1674 | +27 79 993 5557

Email:               bulls at bullszimbabwe.com <mailto:bulls at bullszimbabwe.com>

Website:            www.bullszimbabwe.com <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>

Blog:                 www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog>

Twitter (X):        @bullsbears2010

LinkedIn:           Bulls n Bears Zimbabwe

Facebook:          www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe <http://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe>

Skype:         Bulls.Bears

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2024 Web: www.bullszimbabwe.com <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  Email: bulls at bullszimbabwe.com <mailto:bulls at bullszimbabwe.com>  Tel: +27 79 993 5557 | +263 71 944 1674