Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 12 February 2024

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Mon Feb 12 10:58:46 CAT 2024

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/> Bullish
Thoughts        <http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Major International Business Headlines Brief:::  12 February 2024

ü  Sudan: Complete Shutdown of Telecommunications Services in Sudan

ü  Nigeria: Minimum Wage - What Is in It for Workers As Negotiations Begin?

ü  South Africa: Work Underway to Return Units Affected By Boiler Tube Leaks

ü  Lesotho: Civil Servants Issue Ultimatum Over Salaries

ü  Nigeria: Pay Us Our January Salaries, Nigerian Federal Workers Lament

ü  Nigeria: Law Bars CBN From Advancing More Loans to FG - Cardoso

ü  Nigeria: TotalEnergies to Exit Nigerian Onshore Oil Business

ü  Lesotho: Poultry Farmers Cry Foul

ü  Nigeria: Youths Protest in Osun Over Rising Cost of Living

ü  Uber makes changes to Super Bowl ad after backlash

ü  Xi Jinping's never-ending hunt for corruption in the Communist Party

ü  Clare Rewcastle Brown: UK journalist says Malaysia sentence is 'political
revenge'

ü  Barclays to end direct financing of new oil and gas fields

 <https://www.cloverleaf.co.zw/> Sudan: Complete Shutdown of
Telecommunications Services in Sudan

Fikra for Studies and Development (Khartoum)

PRESS RELEASE

On February 4, 2024, the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) raided the main switches
of the three communications companies operating in the Sudan (Zain, MTN
Sudan, and Sudatel) in Khartoum and directed, at gunpoint, the engineers
working at these headquarters to cut off all communications and Internet
services throughout the Sudan. RSF soldiers were accompanied by a number of
communications technicians to ensure that these instructions were
implemented. The reasons given by the RSF for this action were that the
Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) issued previous instructions to cut off
communications and the Internet from Darfur. This was publicly denied by the
sources in the telecommunications sector and Zain Company, who justified the
interruption of services in Darfur region by technical faults and fiber cuts
that could not be repaired due to the security situation in the region and
reported that RSF had been informed of this.

Since February 4, 2024, all telephone, Internet, and associated services
have been completely cut off across the entirety of Sudan. The situation is
further exacerbated by the prohibition on satellite Internet services within
Sudan, enforced by the Sudanese Telecommunications and Postal Regulatory
Authority.

The complete shutdown of communications from Sudan currently increases the
risks resulting from the ongoing war and poses a further threat of
committing more crimes and violations against more than 40 million Sudanese
besieged in the country; more than a quarter of them are forcibly displaced
from their homes due to the inferno of war, amid a complete blackout on
access to any information related to their conditions and their safety. The
complete loss of communications also hindered all efforts to coordinate the
delivery of humanitarian aid, which is urgently and vitally needed by more
than 25 million Sudanese, according to United Nations statistics. The impact
extends to the stopping of electronic banking services, which is the only
economic exchange outlet that remains after the complete disruption of
banking services since the outbreak of war on April 15, 2023. These
electronic banking services constitute the only remaining lifeline for the
Sudanese, for the response efforts of the domestic humanitarian emergency
rooms, and for all humanitarian organizations working in the field of relief
in all parts of Sudan.

We find it shameful and disgraceful that the world and all governments of
the relevant international and regional actors continue to be silent about
this dire situation in Sudan. We call on the Personal Envoy of the
Secretary-General of the United Nations, all United Nations agencies, and
the governments of the United Arab Emirates, the Arab Republic of Egypt, the
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United States of America, the State of Kuwait,
and the Republic of South Africa, in addition to the African Union and IGAD,
to use their relations and mechanisms of influence on the warring parties to
the maximum extent possible to demand that the two sides abandon the use of
the telecom sector in the scope of their warfare due to its extreme
importance to the continued livelihood and safety of civilians. We also call
on all these countries and the various political and legal frameworks of the
international community to clearly announce their willingness to impose
sanctions on the parties responsible for cutting off communications services
for the Sudanese.

The situation in Sudan requires serious and urgent action to ensure the
continuation of the last available means to sustain the lives of Sudanese
who face the hazards of war, famine, displacement, and the systematic
violations that continue to be committed against them.

Nigeria: Minimum Wage - What Is in It for Workers As Negotiations Begin?

It is no longer news that the take home of the average Nigerian worker can
no longer take him or her home.

The purchasing power of workers in the country is seriously eroded by the
high rate of inflation, and free fall of Naira against foreign currencies,
thus causing hardship for workers and other citizens.

The N30, 000 minimum wage which has been around for about five years now has
been thoroughly diminished to the extent that workers now leave from hand to
mouth.

The purchasing power of the average Nigerian worker is at all-time low,
exacerbated by fuel subsidy removal which has tripled the cost of
transportation and food items has not helped matters.

President Bola Tinubu says he is aware of workers predicament and in his New
Year message, assured them that his administration would implement a new
national minimum wage to ease their plight.

Tinubu said that this was to ensure that the government's impact was felt by
every Nigerian, with a specific focus on addressing the economic needs and
well-being of the poor, vulnerable, and working-class citizens.

According to him, the economic aspirations and the material well-being of
the poor, the most vulnerable and the working people shall not be neglected.

"It is in this spirit that we are going to implement a new national living
wage for our industrious workers this New Year.

"It is not only good economics to do this, it is also a morally and
politically correct thing to do," he said.

In January, the president matched words with action with through the
inauguration of 37-man tripartite committee on national minimum wage in line
with the provision of Wage Instrument Act 2019 which stipulates review of
the minimum wage at five years interval.

Headed by a former Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Alhaji Bukar
Aji, the committee's membership is drawn from across federal and state
governments, private sector employers and the organised labour

"Our sense of duty today thrives on both our sensitivity to the conditions
of the Nigerian worker and the impending expiration of the last Minimum Wage
Instrument in a few months.

"It is in recognition of the need to ensure a fair and decent living wage,
and in compliance with the Act, that the Federal Government has set in
motion necessary mechanisms to assemble this tripartite Committee to chart a
future that aligns with our collective interests", he said.

Tinubu was represented at the event by his vice, Kashim Shettima.

As the newly inaugurated minimum wage committee swings into action Nigerian
workers have expressed high hope the new minimum wage will be commiserate
with the nation's current economic realities.

Mrs Victoria Idoko, a worker, said that the increase in the pump price of
petroleum and devaluation of the Naira had massively affected the cost of
living.

According to her, the exchange rate and inflation has continued to raise all
the time higher, rendering the N30, 000 national minimum wage is
unsustainable as a basis.

"Government must acknowledge this fact that there is hardship and ensure
that the committee comes up with a fair, realistic and decent living wage
for the Nigerian workers," she told News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

Also, Mr Charlie Johnson, a civil servant, said it was important for the
committee to complete its deliberations at a reasonable time and submit its
reports and recommendations as soon as possible.

This, Johnson said, would enable other requisite machinery to be set in
motion for the implantation of the new national minimum wage.

"I want to urge the Federal Government, the committee on the new national
minimum wage not to foot- drag on the deliberation processes as workers are
suffering due to high cost of living," he said.

A worker, Mr Gambo Haruna, urged organised that given to the current
realities of the economic to negotiate above N200, 000 as a living wage.

According to Haruna, labour leaders should go into the deliberation
well-prepared because workers expect their salaries to meet their needs.

"Fuel and food items are taking large chunk of the salaries of workers; the
transportation is very costly.

"The federal government had earlier said that due to the removal of fuel
subsidy it will make CNG buses available but up till now we are yet to see
the buses.

"If the buses can be made available, the high cost of transportation will be
brought to the barest minimum.

"This will go a long way in cushioning the effect of the challenges that
Nigerian workers are going through," he said.

Dr Tommy Okon, National President, Association of Senior Civil Servant of
Nigeria (ASCSN) said the informal economy was the worst hit by the economic
challenges.

Okon, also a member of the Tripartite Committee, said organised labour would
push for a living wage taken cognisance of the cost of transportation,
accommodation, school fees, and health, among others.

"When the fuel subsidy was removed, labour was looking at N200, 000 as a
minimum wage but as we speak, that has already been overtaken by the social
economic challenges.

"These challenges include inflation and devaluation of naira so that amount
is no longer attainable.

"We will negotiate as a team, I do not want to guess but these are indices
that would form our submission and what we would be demanding as far as
national minimum wage is concern," another worker said.

Mr Olawale Oyerinde, Director-General, Nigeria Employers Consultative
Association (NECA) and a member of the committee on National Minimum Wage,
representing the private sector said the deliberation would be with open
mind.

Oyerinde said the private sector would deliberate with all commitment in
order to have a seamless and a fruitful conclusion that would be favorable
for all.

"We will ensure that it will be a win-win for employers, labour and the
government.

"We will also ensure that we follow what the International Labour
Organisation (ILO) Convention 131 on Minimum Wage Fixing stipulated," he
said.

To this end workers urge their negotiators to consult widely before arriving
at a figure that would truly compensate for their contributions to nation
building. (NAN)

-Leadership.

South Africa: Work Underway to Return Units Affected By Boiler Tube Leaks

Minister in the Presidency for Electricity, Dr Kgosientsho Ramokgopa, says
teams are working around the clock to return to service the units that have
contributed to load shedding being intensified to stage 6.

Giving an update on the performance of the grid following the escalated
levels of load shedding, Ramokgopa on Sunday said boiler tube leaks at nine
units contributed to the load shedding being bumped up to stage 6.

Ramokgopa said from Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 4 400 megawatts were
taken off the grid.

"Eskom management has taken a decision, having identified boiler tube leaks
as a major area of concern that undermines the availability of these units,
to work directly with the original equipment manufacturers, so that they do
not go through the middleman. They are engaging with the people who had
designed these units.

"The people who know the DNA of these units are the ones who are assigned
the responsibility to deal with this, so that we are able to do a proper
root cause analysis, and be able to diagnose and then provide a prognosis,
and return these units to service at the quickest possible period of time,
having taken into account all safety concerns," Ramokgopa said.

The power stations whose units had contributed to the 4 400 megawatts
include Lethabo, Matimba, Duvha, Majuba, Camden, Grootvlei, Kriel and
Medupi.

"Our planned maintenance is at about 7 000MW... If it means we ramp up load
shedding for the purposes of conducting planned maintenance... we will be
able to return the units healthier... for the long-term gain," said
Ramokgopa.

Ramokgopa said two of the units, Lethabo 5 and Kriel 2, have since come back
online, with work underway to get the unit at Medupi back online.

The Minister added that Matimba 2, Kendal 3 and 4 are expected to return
today.

"We are expecting to return [the other units] that failed... by Wednesday.
By Tuesday, we are expecting to see a significant reduction, going back to
stages 4, 3, 2, and 1 [of load shedding]... As part of planned maintenance,
a significant portion of units will come back towards the beginning and end
of March, where we will be moving from 7 000MW, to lower levels of between 5
000MW and 6 000MW, where you are going to see significantly improved
intensity of load shedding.

The Minister said by March, they are expecting to see significant
improvements in the intensity of load shedding.

"We can account for the sources of failure. We know what the issues are...
We are working on ensuring that we return these units, and if there are
other issues, the board and the executive will look at that," Ramokgopa
said.

Loadshedding reduced to stage 5

Meanwhile, Eskom has announced that load shedding stage 5 will be
implemented from 12pm on Sunday.

According to a statement, Eskom has over the past 48 hours successfully
replenished its pumped storage dam levels, bringing some generation units
back to service.

"This enables the reduction of load shedding to stage 5 from 12pm until
further notice. Eskom will closely monitor the power system and communicate
any changes to load shedding, should it be required," Eskom said.

-SAnews.gov.za.

Lesotho: Civil Servants Issue Ultimatum Over Salaries

CIVIL servants have given the government a week's ultimatum to honour its
"promise" to award them a 25 percent salary increment failing which they
will go to court for an enforcement order.

This ultimatum comes after Last Friday's meeting between the government and
the Coalition of Lesotho Public Employees (COLEPE) which allegedly did not
yield any positive results.

In an interview with the Lesotho Times, COLEPE's secretary general, Motebang
Leboela, said they were convinced the government was playing delaying
tactics after it asked for more time to address the 25 percent issue. COLEPE
claims the government had made a commitment to increase their salaries by 25
percent.

Ms Leboela said they had expected the Friday meeting to resolve the issue.

"Our Friday meeting was meant to reach a consensus on our 25 percent salary
hike, but the government kept on pleading for an extension of time, without
stipulating the amount of time they needed. This resulted in senseless
arguments," said Ms Leboela.

"We have therefore decided to give them a week's ultimatum until 1 February
2024 to address the matter since it has been dragging for far too long."

COLEPE consists of the Lesotho Police Staff Association (LEPOSA), Lesotho
Public Service Staff Association (LEPSSA), Lesotho Association of Teachers
(LAT), Lesotho Teachers Trade Union (LTTU), Lesotho Nurses Association
(LNA), Qiloane Nursing Assistants Association (QNAA) and Lesotho Schools
Principals Association (LeSPA). It is the largest single grouping of civil
servants.

The coalition had tabled its grievances before Prime Minister Sam Matekane
in 2022 when he first assumed the office. The government then formulated a
Public Bargaining Council (PBC) which engaged the COLEPE representatives in
December last year.

However, COLEPE claims there has not been any agreement reached to date,
hence its frustrations.

Ms Leboela said they were now left with no option but to drag the government
to court if their demands are not met by 1 February 2024.

"This will leave us with no choice but to escalate the issue to the Labour
Court as the government is reluctant to increase our salaries," Ms Leboela
said

She accused the PBC of failing to finalize discussions or at least make a
counter offer.

"The least they could have done is to make a counter offer of say 15
percent, if they feel they cannot afford the whole amount then we agree on
when they can effect the other 10 percent.....," she said.

"We don't necessarily believe that the government is broke. Just recently,
they inflated the cabinet within a blink of eye. That was done at a huge
cost ...They had money for it because it served their own political
interests."

Contacted for comment, Minister of Public Service, Steven Mputi, maintained
that his ministry was still dealing with COLEPE's demands but they required
time.

"Our understating is that there's still a need for further engagements
because the issue at hand goes beyond just reaching an agreement. A lot of
things need to be discussed. Negotiations cannot be given timelines as they
involve a lot of things which we need to consider before we reach a
consensus," said Mr Mputi.

-Lesotho Times.

Nigeria: Pay Us Our January Salaries, Nigerian Federal Workers Lament

Owoeye Ilesanmi, who is a staff of the National Orientation Agency (NOA),
said that in addition to the delay in payment of January salary, the Federal
Government has reneged on the payment of the wage award.

Workers in different federal establishments across the country have bemoaned
the delay in the payment of their January salary, describing the action of
the government as insensitive considering the current economic situation in
the country.

Some of the workers said the delay is the worst in recent years, worse than
they experienced during the COVID-19 pandemic when workers were asked to
stay at home.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt that a memo from the Office of the Accountant General
of the Federation had earlier notified the workers of the delay.

According to the memo, the accountant general's office was working on
finalising the 2024 Appropriation on the GIFMIS platform, and as a result
the Personnel Warrant for the month of January 2024 was yet to be released.

The memo, it was learnt, stated that the delay would cut across Ministries,
Departments and Agencies (MDAs). It urged the affected members of staff to
exercise patience while the issues were being sorted.

In Ekiti State, some of the workers who spoke with PREMIUM TIMES included
staff of the Federal University, Oye Ekiti (FUOYE), Federal Polytechnic, Ado
Ekiti; Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN); National Orientation
Agency (NOA), and Federal Ministry of Information, among others.An official
of FUOYE, Wole Balogun, said that with the hardship being faced by the
people, it was inconceivable that salaries could be delayed longer than
necessary.

Mr Balogun, who blamed the delay on an unnecessary bureaucratic bottleneck
associated with the payment platforms, urged the federal government to
expedite action on the payment, "because the situation is becoming
unbearable."

A staffer of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti, Folashade Daramola, also
lamented the delay. She noted that many members of staff have loan
obligations that they ought to have paid as at when due, which have remained
pending.

"We are finding it difficult to even go to work; after all, we depend on our
salary to be able to transport ourselves, not to talk of feeding our
families. We are tired of excuses, let them pay our salary," Mrs Daramola
said.

Also, Owoeye Ilesanmi, who is a staffer of the National Orientation Agency
(NOA), said that in addition to delay in the payment of January salary, the
federal government has reneged on the payment of the wage award.

"We have only received a wage award of two months, while three months is
outstanding. The whole thing boils down to insensitivity on the part of the
government. How do we survive without our salary and the wage award? I think
the government should show empathy by paying us all the money they owe us,"
he said.

The wage award is the allowance that the federal government promised to pay
federal workers for six months to assuage the impact of the removal of
subsidy on petrol. Following the subsidy removal and other government
policies, prices of goods and services have more than doubled despite the
non-increase in wages for many workers.

In Ibadan, Oyo State, another federal civil servant, Idris Badiru, while
lamenting the delay in payment of January salary, described the situation as
pathetic.

"January the 39th! Alagbase ti si oko gba bayi," he wrote on his Facebook
page, using a Yoruba terminology to indicate the lamentation of an unpaid
worker.

In Katsina State, many federal workers spoken to also said they had not been
paid their salary and palliatives support from the government.

Some of the affected workers told PREMIUM TIMES that the delay was affecting
their work schedule, as they now find it difficult to go to work, especially
those living in areas far from their offices.

"I work in a department that requires me to go to the office every day, but
I've finished my savings and I'm finding it difficult to travel to Dutsin Ma
to undertake my responsibility," Faruk (surname withheld), who is an
engineer with the department of Physical Planning and Works at the Federal
University, Dutsin Ma, said.

"Things are hard, but we have no option than to oblige," he added.

Mr Bala travels to and from Dutsin Ma from Katsina metropolis, a
68-Kilometre journey, every working day.

"On these travels, I can spend a whole month's salary not to talk of the
foodstuffs and other basic necessities," he said.

Others told our reporter that the situation was making life difficult for
them as prices of foodstuffs keep increasing.

Another non-academic worker of the Federal Polytechnic, Daura, who asked not
to be named for fear of victimisation, said the delay in salary payment is
affecting her activities, especially because she travels daily from Katsina
to Daura.

"The polytechnic is new so there are no houses for staff, most of us travel
to the school on a daily basis, which compounds our situation.

"Though, we've been notified by the management of the salary delay, I think
it's unfair for the government, especially because January is usually a long
month," the official, who works in the Students' Affairs department said.

On the palliative support, most of them said they only received the
palliative for two months - October and November, 2023.

A staffer of the National Population Commission in Katsina State said he has
since stopped going to the office "because several of my colleagues are no
longer going too."

An official of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) in Edo State, Jude
Abugu, described the delay in payment of salaries as commonplace in recent
months. He said there has been frequent delays in payment of salaries of
federal civil servants since the new administration came onboard last month.

Mr Abugu said he received his January salary on 2 February.

"I think that was the earliest that they have paid us a salary. There are
times when our salaries will come in during the first or second week of the
next month," he said.

-Premium Times.

Nigeria: Law Bars CBN From Advancing More Loans to FG - Cardoso

The Central Bank of Nigeria has said it can no longer advance loans to the
federal government through the Ways and Means as Section 38 of the CBN Act
(2007) bars it from doing so until previous advances have been paid.

CBN governor, Olayemi Cardoso, made the clarification on Friday while
addressing members of the Senate committees on Finance, Appropriation,
Banking, Insurance and Other Financial Institutions.

The minster of finance, Wale Edun, his counterparts in budget and national
planning, and agriculture, Atiku Bagudu and Abubakar Kyari, were present at
the meeting with the senators.

Speaking on what led to the present crisis, Cardoso said; "Increase in Net
Foreign Asset following the harmonisation of exchange rates and the N3.22tn
Ways and Means advances were the major factors driving the increase in money
supply."

He said; "I am pleased to note the fiscal authorities' efforts in
discontinuing Ways and Means advances. This is also in compliance with
Section (38) of the CBN Act (2007), the bank is no longer at liberty to
grant further Ways and Means advances to the federal government until the
outstanding balance as of December 31, 2023 is fully settled.

"The bank must strictly adhere to the law limiting advances under Ways and
Means to five percent of the previous year's revenue. We have also halted
quasi-fiscal measures of over N10tn by the Central Bank of Nigeria under the
guise of development finance interventions which hitherto contributed to
flooding excess naira and raising prices to the level of inflation we are
grappling with today."

The CBN's adoption of the inflation-targeting framework, he said, involves
clear communication and collaboration with fiscal authorities to achieve
price stability, potentially leading to lowered policy rates, stimulating
investment and creating job opportunities.

He said; "Our MPC meeting on the 26th and 27th of February is also expected
to review the situation and take further decisions on these important
issues. Empirical analysis has established that money supply is one of the
factors fueling the current inflationary pressure.

"For instance, an analysis of the trend of money supply spanning over nine
months shows that M3 increased from N52.01tn in January 2023 to N68.25tn in
November 2023, representing N16.24tn or 31.22 percent increase over the
period."

The CBN governor added; "Inflationary pressures are expected to decline in
2024 due to the CBN's inflation-targeting policy, aiming to rein in
inflation to 21.4 percent in the medium term, aided by improved agricultural
productivity and easing global supply chain pressures."

-Leadership.

Nigeria: TotalEnergies to Exit Nigerian Onshore Oil Business

The firm said it wants to divest its share of Shell Petroleum Development
Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC)

French oil major TotalEnergies has announced plans to sell its minority
stake in a major Nigerian oil joint venture.

The firm said it wants to divest its share of Shell Petroleum Development
Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC) and is looking to reshape its portfolio
since producing oil in the Niger Delta is not in line with its health,
security and environmental policies.

"We want to divest our share of SPDC, and we are looking to reshape the
portfolio.

"Fundamentally it's because producing this oil in the Niger Delta is not in
line with our (Health, Security and Environmental) policies, it's a real
difficulty," Patrick Pouyanne, TotalEnergies chief executive officer was
quoted by Reuters as saying at the company's annual results presentation on
Wednesday.

Mr Pouyanne noted that the company would keep its Nigerian gas resources,
which he described as crucial for the company's planned expansion of
liquefied natural gas development in the coming years.

The company had in December 2023 said it would invest as much as $6 billion
in Nigeria in coming years, particularly in gas production, as it plans to
cut down investment in hydrocarbons and transition into cleaner energy.

TotalEnergies is a multinational energy company operating in more than 130
countries. For over 50 years, the company has remained a leader in the
downstream sector of the Nigerian oil and gas industry.

In May 2022, the company launched a sale of its minority stake in a Nigerian
oil joint venture.

The company said it was selling its interest in 13 onshore fields and 3 in
shallow water, producing over 20,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

The sale includes infrastructure such as 3,500 km of pipelines connecting to
two key crude export terminals, Bonny and Forcados.

TotalEnergies is the latest multinational to give up its onshore assets for
deep-water fields.

In January, the Nigerian unit of London-based oil supermajor Shell Plc
announced it struck a deal with a consortium of five companies, setting the
scene for the latter to acquire its onshore business in the country.

The deal was sealed after years-long setbacks met by the company in its
efforts to rid itself of the assets.

-Premium Times.

Lesotho: Poultry Farmers Cry Foul

LOCAL poultry farmers have accused the government of destroying their
businesses by not fully lifting the ban it had imposed on the importation of
chicken products from South Africa.

Although the government announced the lifting of the ban on poultry imports
from South Africa last week, the farmers said the government was only
allowing the importation of frozen chickens.

Imports of live chicks and fertile eggs from South Africa - which they
require for their farming operations - remained banned, they said. They said
they had been told that they could only source these from Zambia, Eswatini,
Botswana, Brazil and Turkey.

However, they said that proposal was unrealistic. They required transit
permits from South Africa to move these products across that country. That
was however costly and not easy.

It was easy for them to just import these products from SA itself as they
had always been doing. They also complained it was difficult for them to
find suppliers from the suggested countries.

Although it is now allowing the importation of frozen chickens, the
government has maintained a ban on the importation of live chicks and
fertile eggs from South Africa because of the Avian Flu. The first blanket
ban was imposed on 12 October last year before its partial lifting last
week.

The angry farmers said at a press conference in Maseru yesterday that by
only allowing the importation of frozen chicken, the government was only
boosting big retail businesses which sold that product.

Local farmers needed to be allowed to import the products they needed to
rear their own chickens for sale, they said.

The Minister of Agriculture, Food Security and Nutrition, Thabo Mofosi, had
last week told the Lesotho Times that the government had lifted the
importation of frozen chicken from South Africa, save for Gauteng Province
which was still hit hard by the Avian Flu.

Mr Mofosi also said the government would assist local farmers in the
importation of poultry products such as fertile eggs and live chicks from
Zambia, Botswana, eSwatini, Brazil and Turkey. He pledged assistance to any
farmer wanting to source the products from the countries. Poultry import
permits would be issued by his ministry to ensure farmers only sourced from
accredited suppliers from areas verified to be free from the Avian Flu.

The farmers dismissed the minister's stance yesterday. They said they were
not getting much help from his ministry. He was ruining their businesses by
only allowing the importation of frozen chicken from SA.

They said the government's solution of importing from other southern African
countries was a challenge because of the transit permits issue.

One of the farmers, 'Mantsane Rantekoa, said the government was effectively
forcing them out of business.

Ms Rantekoa said they could not be expected to import from Brazil and Turkey
as their operations were small scale to meet the quantities required to
order from these countries.

The farmers insist the government should allow them to import all the
products they need from South Africa, particularly from provinces that were
now free of Avian Flu.

"The ban is killing our businesses ....We have had to send our employees
home . We call on the government to lift the ban on importing from South
Africa fully because some areas there have been declared as being free from
the Avian Flu infections," Ms Rantekoa said.

"We had hoped the minister (Mofosi) would address our issues, but he has
not. We have therefore escalated the matter to the Prime Minister (Sam
Matekane) and we are awaiting his response.

"We are surprised by the ban because this is not the first time there is an
Avian Flu outbreak. There was an outbreak in 2017, 2018, 21 and 2022. No
blanket ban had been imposed."

She claimed, without elaborating, that it seemed like politicians and
officials were now maintaining the ban to promote their personal interests.

Efforts to get a comment from the agriculture ministry failed by the time of
going to print.

-Lesotho Times.

Nigeria: Youths Protest in Osun Over Rising Cost of Living

Some youths trooped to streets in Osun state capital, Osogbo, on Friday to
lament the rising cost of living, calling on the federal government to
swiftly intervene.

The peaceful protesters said the hardship had become unbearable and told
President Bola Tinubu to address the dwindling economy by changing
"unfavourable policies" amid the naira depreciation.

The protesters, who wielded placards with inscriptions such as "Change the
unfavourable policies", "Nigerians are suffering, we can't cope again", and
"We are humans, stop mistreating the citizens", among others, assembled
along MDS Road, Osogbo very early.

Despite the large presence of policemen near the scene of the protest, the
youth kept singing songs expressing the frustration of many Nigerians
occasioned by the harsh economy.

Addressing the protesters, the chairman, Osun Civil Societies Coalition, Mr.
Waheed Lawal, said the protest would continue until the government finds
solutions to the current economic hardship ravaging the country.

He said, "Government must ameliorate the suffering of the people. They must
do whatever they need to do to make sure that the people live in better
conditions.

"Nigerians deserve the best. They promised us renewed hope but what they are
giving us now is renewed hardship. We reject renewed hardship in our lives,
and in our economy because Nigerians deserve the best.

"What Nigerians want is a peaceful atmosphere. We don't want insecurity in
our land again. We can't travel from Osogbo to Ibadan without panicking. You
will be thinking that they will kidnap you.

"The abduction of monarchs is the order of the day in our country now. We
urge the government to provide security for the life and property of the
citizens. It is their responsibility, it is a constitutional responsibility.

"Every government that fails to provide security for the lives of the
citizens is no longer a government. What we are saying is simple, we are
ready to face the government in this hardship and we are marathon runners.

"We have started this struggle today and if the government fails to listen
to us, we will continue to mobilise our people to protest this hardship
because enough is enough."

The protest became the fourth counting by the state to wind up the week as
demonstrations against hardship were held in Niger, Kano, Kogi during the
week.

-Vanguard.

Uber makes changes to Super Bowl ad after backlash

Uber Eats has made last minute changes to its Super Bowl advertisement after
criticism that it inappropriately made light of food allergies.

The Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE) charity thanked the food
delivery firm for agreeing to edit out parts that showed a man having an
allergic reaction to peanut butter.

Uber did not issue a statement but shared the edited version of the ad.

The Super Bowl is one of the most high profile marketing moments of the
year.

Tens of millions of Americans tune in for the American football
championship, taking place later on Sunday, and the commercials that air
during the game are expensive and typically planned months in advance.

Uber started promoting its video online earlier this week.

The one minute advert tells the tales of people forgetting key information,
under the tagline "Don't forget to remember Uber Eats".

The story of the man eating peanut butter, having forgotten it contains
peanut, was originally featured alongside other moments of memory lapse
involving big names, including actress Jennifer Anniston failing to
recognise her Friends co-star David Schwimmer and David and Victoria Beckham
trying to remember the name of her former band, the Spice Girls.

"Remember when you used to be a Pepper Lady?" Mr Beckham says.

FARE and other allergy groups had expressed concern about the advert, saying
food allergies were not a joke and the juxtaposition was "inappropriate".

On Friday Ms Poblete said she had spoken to the company, which had promised
to edit out the reference to the peanut allergy. She thanked the company for
listening.

"I want to thank you, our community, for speaking up so that our voices
could be heard as we change the way life-threatening food allergies are
perceived," she added.

Special Group, the agency that helped Uber develop the ad, did not respond
to a request for comment.

Uber's swift response to the allergy advocates won praise online, though the
embarrassment of the last minute fix seems like perhaps another episode that
the company will want to forget.-bbc

Xi Jinping's never-ending hunt for corruption in the Communist Party

As the latest phase of Xi Jinping's anti-corruption crackdown cuts through
high-level banking and the elite nuclear rocket force, some have questioned
when it might end.

The short answer: it won't.

It has become a central plank of the system of governance for China's
leader.

And, because the anti-corruption drive has been used to remove anyone with
even the slightest hint of a tendency to divert from his way of doing
things, Mr Xi is sometimes characterised as an out-of-control Stalin-like
figure purging left, right and centre without good cause.

But there are those who do not see it that way.

"Xi might be paranoid about high-level corruption, but his fear is not
delusional," says Andrew Wedeman, head of China Studies at Georgia State
University.

"The corruption he fears is certainly real. It is likely also true, of
course, that Mr Xi has capitalised on the crackdown to gain political
advantage".

Under Chairman Mao, the philosophy was that corruption could be controlled
by fostering a love of the Party.

Then, during the Deng Xiaoping and Jiang Zemin eras, the idea took hold
that, if you gave people a better living, they'd have less motivation to act
corruptly.

By the time Hu Jintao was in change, most Chinese people had a much better
life but there were those who wanted more and were prepared to use
unscrupulous means to get it, again boosting fraud on a widespread scale.

Now it feels like Chairman Xi has gone all the way back to Mao's way of
doing things, putting a huge emphasis on Party loyalty to fix the problem.

And it is via the Party that these campaigns are launched, with
investigations revolving around alleged breaches of its own regulations.
It's effectively a matter of organised politics with the Party running
probes however it wants.

'People simply disappear'

It can do this because most people with high-level positions in Chinese
society are Communist Party members - whether in financial institutions,
sporting organisations, government departments or universities.

But once a member, you are at risk of falling foul of Party discipline
charges which are at times very vague and even relate to questions of
personal morality and bringing the Party into disrepute.

During this process, the teams from the feared Anti-Corruption Commission
simply make people disappear.

In theory, their families are supposed to be informed before they're taken
away for questioning in secret locations, but there's no guarantee this will
happen.

One day you simply stop being seen in public and the next it is assumed you
are being interrogated for an indefinite period, with no legal
representation or outside accountability.

- Delegates and China's top leaders beneath a Communist hammer and sickle
emblem, 08 November 2002

And, while this is supposed to be cleaning up economic interaction so it
will run more smoothly, the crackdown could well be having the opposite
effect.

"It's reducing incentive to be creative, entrepreneurial and risk-taking,
which had been the driving force of [China's] economic growth since 1979,"
political scientist Lynette Ong from the University of Toronto told the BBC.

You'll hear the expression "lying flat" used a lot in the China of today. It
sometimes refers to those in their 20s dropping out of the "rat race", while
living at their parents' home and whiling away the hours playing video games
with no great ambition in life because they can't see a positive future.

But it's also being used to describe officials in state-owned enterprises or
the private sector who are just doing enough work to keep their jobs,
nothing more, nothing less. They see it as too risky to stand out by pushing
for innovation or appearing too ambitious.

"Xi wants officials to be clean and hardworking," says Deng Yuwen, who was
once editor of the influential Communist Party newspaper The Study Times.

"But with Xi focussing on corruption, they'll just 'lay flat'. Mr Xi, of
course, doesn't want to allow this and is demanding that they work hard lest
their corruption be exposed. But the crackdown has gone on for over 10 years
now and officials have become used to it. If you chase me to do work, I'll
put in a bit more effort. If you stop using the whip on me, I'll just take
it easy for a while and 'lay flat'".

Big money, vast bribes

But the high-profile take-downs in recent months in the finance sector are a
different matter, homing in on senior executives who are accused of being
very active for the wrong reasons. Among those implicated for allegedly
taking vast bribes are former chairs of major banks and one time regulators.
More than 100 finance sector officials have been punished over the past
year.

"Too many officials have been involved in financial corruption over many
decades. It's impossible to clean this up in one or two years," says Mr
Deng. "Banking was the big target last year. It will also be that this year
and the same for the coming year as well".

According to Prof Wedeman, "We ought to expect a lot of high-stakes
corruption in the banking sector because, after all, the banks are where the
big money is".

However, if banking is where the money is in China it is with the military
that ultimate power resides.

The People's Liberation Army is not the country's army, it is the Party's
army and it keeps it in absolute control.

So the purge of generals running the nuclear rocket force as well as that of
the Defence Minister, Li Shangfu, has shown just how serious China's
corruption battle has become - with unscrupulous procurement processes
reportedly pushing faulty gear all the way into the nuclear arsenal.

"We're not only talking about embezzling funds or getting kickbacks, but
also subpar military equipment being purchased and potentially used by the
People's Liberation Army," Alex Payette, the CEO of Montreal-based
geopolitics consultancy Cercius said.

Alfred Wu from Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy says corruption in the
rocket force would have hit Mr Xi hard.

"He had very high hopes for the rocket force," Prof Wu told the BBC. "If I
have a very strong rocket force then, in the future, if I have a war with
Taiwan, it can be absolutely instrumental."

Does he think that reorganising this crucial part of the People's Liberation
Army could actually delay any move to take Taiwan by force?

"Of course, of course!"

Yet analysts observing the anti-corruption crackdown in China have
identified a gaping flaw in Mr Xi's approach in the form of a complete
absence of any systemic changes which could tackle these problems in the
long run.

"The Party, despite its efforts to develop its regulatory apparatus and
discipline inspection rules, etc, has failed to curb corruption. Insofar as
the Party remains the sole structure to access state resources, it cannot
curb infrastructural corruption," said Prof Payette.

Some other countries have introduced genuinely independent anti-corruption
bodies, increased transparency, improved the rule of law and empowered an
independent media to report on corruption. China has done none of those
things.

Instead, the Communist Party polices itself. What's left is a never-ending
search for bad apples without a strategy to stop them going off in the first
place.

In addition to this, according to Prof Wedeman, social attitudes also need
to change drastically: "Reducing and controlling corruption requires not
just changes in laws, regulations and oversight but deeper changes in the
culture of officialdom and the socialisation of new generations for whom
corruption and bending the rules are no longer standard and acceptable
practices."

Mr Xi's sweeping anti-corruption drive has also potentially made some
officials frightened to speak out, especially those close to him who are
supposed to be giving him frank and fearless advice.

For many, this became apparent after three years of the Covid crisis, when
the rest of the world had re-opened but China remained closed and heavily
restricted even with the economy tanking.

"No doubt there are smart people around him," adds Prof Ong, "But his
insistence on zero-Covid until massive protests broke out suggests to me
that those who understand economics don't really have his ears".

Other China watchers fear Mr Xi has surrounded himself with "yes men".

"At this point, Xi is not looking for frank advice. He is looking for
loyalty," says Prof Payette.

"Xi seems to have fallen prey to being constantly praised by cadres who only
seek to be promoted. Looking at early Party history, he should have known
that Party cadres engage in flattery to avoid being purged and gain access
to the upper echelons of the Party-state apparatus."

A health worker wears protective gear as she gives a nucleic acid test to
detect COVID-19 on a local resident at a mass testing site after new cases
were found, on April 6, 2022

To an extent there is a belief that all officials are corrupt (whether they
be the high-level "tigers" or the "flies" on the lower rungs) and that those
who have been singled out are, for whatever reason, a threat to Mr Xi.

It is estimated that five million people have been punished in various ways
during the crackdown, with some receiving warnings or fines with others
getting heavy prison sentences or even the death penalty.

But rather than fostering a belief that the country is being well governed,
many believe it is also trashing the Party's reputation amongst the general
public.

As Professor Wedeman put it, "I suspect that more than 10 years of the
crackdown and a seemingly endless parade of 'caged tigers' has most likely
deepened public cynicism.

"Quite simply, if you spend a decade waging a 'life and death' battle with
tigers and - 10 years into the hunt - you are bagging as many as you bagged
when you started hunting, it strongly suggests you are not hunting them to
extinction and might not have even significantly reduced their numbers."-bbc

Clare Rewcastle Brown: UK journalist says Malaysia sentence is 'political
revenge'

UK journalist Clare Rewcastle Brown has accused Malaysia of seeking
"political revenge" for her reporting after a court jailed her in absentia.

The 64-year-old is appealing a surprise conviction for criminal defamation
of a Malaysian royal handed down this week.

A local magistrates' court sentenced her to two years in prison during a
single-day hearing.

Ms Rewcastle Brown told the BBC she was being targeted after her work on the
multibillion-dollar 1MDB scandal.

The scandal saw $4.5bn (£3.9bn) stolen from the Malaysian sovereign fund
founded by former Prime Minister Najib Razak in what is thought to be the
world's largest kleptocracy case.

It ensnared top Hollywood celebrities, brought down bankers from Goldman
Sachs and saw the first criminal charges filed against the storied Wall
Street firm.

Najib was jailed in 2022 but still faces a raft of other charges. He denies
all wrongdoing.

On Wednesday the Kuala Terengganu Magistrates' Court ruled that Ms Rewcastle
Brown criminally defamed Malaysia's former Queen Nur Zahirah in her book The
Sarawak Report - The Inside Story of the 1MDB Expose.

Ms Rewcastle Brown said she was not notified in advance nor given the
opportunity to defend herself in court. Her lawyers have already requested
the ruling be set aside by a higher court on violations of the criminal
procedure code.

"I'm afraid this is malicious, it is politically motivated. And I see it as
revenge for my public interest journalism," she told the BBC."I think there
are a lot of very powerful and wealthy people in Malaysia who are revengeful
that I identified the corruption of their former prime minister [Najib
Razak], who remains popular and powerful and wealthy.

"And I think that it's no coincidence that just two or three days after [he]
failed to get a pardon from the [Malaysian] King that would have let him out
of jail after a fraction of his sentence, that this sentence was then passed
against me".

The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) described the decision to jail
Rewcastle Brown as "outrageous" and has called on Malaysia to scrap the
sentence and to "stop harassing the journalist over her crucial reporting on
the country's 1MDB scandal, recognized as one of the world's biggest-ever
corruption cases".

"The harsh ruling will deter all reporters from investigating official
corruption in Malaysia and represents a clear and present danger to press
freedom in the country," CPJ's senior Southeast Asia representative Shawn
Crispin said in a statement issued on Friday.

Malaysia has the world's only rotating constitutional monarchy. The federal
head of state changes every five years in what is a largely ceremonial role
but the monarch wields significant cultural and political influence.

The oil-rich coastal state of Terengganu is home to one of the country's
nine royal families. The Malay ruler is called a Sultan and his wife, a
Sultanah.

Terrangganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah, who served as Malaysia's Queen from
2006-2011, has filed two defamation cases against Ms Rewcastle Brown for
allegedly insinuating she was involved in corrupt practices linked to 1MDB.

The first was a civil case in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur which was
dismissed by the High Court in October 2022. That was overturned on appeal
and is still making its way through the courts. The second filing was the
case in her local magistrates court which she has won.

Ms Rewcastle Brown said there was a misidentification error in the book that
was corrected back in 2018. She also apologised for the error. But her legal
team have argued that the error is not defamation, nor criminal libel.

"I do fear that there has been manipulation of this case and I do not seek
to lay blame for that at the feet of the Sultanah. She was understandably
annoyed," Ms Rewcastle Brown told the BBC.

Sultanah Nur Zahirah and her legal team have been approached for comment by
the BBC.

Najib's reduced sentence

The former leader is currently serving a 12-year prison sentence that was
halved this week by Malaysia's pardons board - a move that sends a message
leaders in South East Asia can act with impunity, said James Chin, professor
of Asian Studies at the University of Tasmania.

Najib's United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), which previously led the
ruling coalition that governed Malaysia, has been pushing for a royal pardon
after testing and exhausting other legal avenues of appeal.

Ms Rewcastle Brown told the BBC she finds it hard to believe Najib's reduced
sentence and her defamation conviction, which took place shortly afterward,
are not linked.

"I have become somewhat emblematic in the eyes of those who are deeply
resentful that Najib was found guilty and convicted of this crime.

"We can speculate, but I think that it's hard to come to the conclusion
other than it is all connected to this 1MDB case".

Najib's lawyers are reportedly also trying to get Netflix documentary Man On
The Run about the 1MDB scandal taken down for "sub judicial and
contemptuous" content.

He is also said to be looking to take legal action against former Malaysian
attorney-general Tommy Thomas and Rewcastle-Brown over their statements in
the documentary Man On The Run.

A Netflix spokesperson said they wouldn't be commenting on the matter.

Interpol involvement

Ms Rewcastle Brown also fears the Terengganu magistrates court ruling may
impact her ability to travel freely.

Malaysian law enforcement officials have twice before applied for an
Interpol Red Notice for Rewcastle Brown on charges related to her 1MDB
reporting. Interpol denied the previous two applications, she said.

It is unclear whether Malaysian authorities will pursue an Interpol Red
Notice for Rewcastle Brown's arrest again. The Kuala Terengganu Magistrates'
Court did not immediately reply to the BBC's request for comment.

Ms Rewcastle Brown is requesting support from the UK government and various
non-governmental organisations such as the CPJ and Index on Censorship.

Born in Sarawak, Ms Rewcastle Brown has two grown sons with husband Andrew
Brown, a media strategist and former journalist who is the younger brother
of former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

She founded investigative website Sarawak Report in 2010, which made her
name as a journalist and environmental campaigner focused on corruption in
the lucrative palm oil trade.

She hopes to one day return to Malaysia without the threat of imprisonment.

"I will just keep going," she said. "I'm just one of many, many journalists
campaigning to support the right of journalists to do their job, which is to
bring information in the public interest to the wider audience."

A Malaysian police arrest warrant from 2021 for Clare Rewcastle Brown which
Interpol has denied twice before-bbc

Barclays to end direct financing of new oil and gas fields

Barclays has announced it will no longer provide direct funding for new oil
and gas projects.

The banking giant also says it will restrict lending to energy businesses
that plan to expand their fossil fuel production.

Barclays is a major lender to the fossil fuel industry, but has been coming
under mounting pressure to curb its support for the sector.

Campaign groups welcomed the move, but insisted it did not go far enough.

According to a report from environmental group Rainforest Action Network,
Barclays was the biggest funder of the fossil fuel sector in Europe between
2016 and 2021.

It provided just under $16.5bn (£13bn) in 2022, although that was
significantly lower than in previous years. In 2019 and 2020, the figure was
more than $30bn.

However, the bank has been under pressure from environmental campaigners,
shareholder activists and even celebrities to curb its support.

Last year, a campaign group including the actress Emma Thompson and the film
director Richard Curtis called on the All England Lawn Tennis Club to remove
Barclays as a sponsor of Wimbledon. They claimed the bank was "profiting
from climate chaos".

In what it called a Climate Change Statement, Barclays announced it would no
longer provide direct funding for projects designed to expand oil and gas
production, or infrastructure related to such projects.

It said it would also end direct funding for any oil and gas projects in the
Amazon or in the Arctic Circle, or which were aimed at extracting,
processing or transporting oil from oil sands.

But direct funding for specific projects makes up only part of Barclays'
overall lending to the sector.

The bank said there would also be restrictions on new financing for energy
groups themselves, although these will be stricter for new clients than
existing ones.

The plan is not wholly focused on oil and gas. There will also be curbs on
lending linked to coal mining and coal-fired power generation.

Barclays is not the first bank in Europe to introduce such commitments.
HSBC, Lloyds, BNP Paribas, Societe Generale and Credit Agricole have all
previously announced restrictions on funding for fossil fuels.

The latest announcement was welcomed by ShareAction, a group that campaigns
for responsible investment, but it complained that there were loopholes in
the plan.

"Barclays is wrong not to have ruled out financing companies that focus
exclusively on fossil fuel extraction," it said.

"This should include fracking, which is causing so much environmental and
social harm and is an activity the bank is heavily exposed to."

Meanwhile, Make My Money Matter, the group that includes Thompson and
Curtis, said Barclays' plan was "inadequate in scope and in ambition".

Its chief executive, Tony Burdon, said: "While they finally caught up with
other major European banks like Lloyds by ruling out direct project finance
for fossil fuels, the reality is this covers just a fraction of their oil
and gas lending.

"This new policy lets them continue funnelling billions to those companies
developing catastrophic new fossil fuel projects around the world."

Barclays has pointed out that oil and gas funding represents a very small
proportion of its overall activities.-bbc

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> bulls at bullszimbabwe.com

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

Date & Time

Robert Gabriel Mugabe Youth Day

Feb 21

Nampak

AGM

Virtual (FTS Platform)

28 Feb 9am

Art

AGM

virtual (escrow platform)

March 7. 2:30

2024 auction tobacco marketing season opens

13 march

Good Friday

march 29

Easter Monday

1 April

Independence Day

April 18

Workers day

1 May

Companies under Cautionary

CBZH

GetBucks

EcoCash

Padenga

Econet

RTG

Fidelity

TSL

FMHL

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from s believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and d from third parties.

(c) 2024 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email:
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> bulls at bullszimbabwe.com Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell:
+263 77 344 1674