Entrepreneurship Zone: 11 September 2020: 'Me I love Nairobi': Kenyan entrepreneur explains how she built lifestyle brand Peperuka

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Fri Sep 11 13:00:45 CAT 2020

 <http://www.bulls.co.zw/> Bulls.co.zw
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<http://www.bulls.co.zw/blog> Bullish Thoughts
<http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Entrepreneurship Zone: 11 September 2020: ‘Me I love Nairobi’: Kenyan
entrepreneur explains how she built lifestyle brand Peperuka

 <http://www.finsec.co.zw/>

Peperuka is a Kenyan company which designs and manufactures apparel and home
decor items that incorporate quirky statements such as “Me I love Nairobi”.
The business, launched in 2016, has received investment from HEVA Fund,
which backs companies in the creative sector. Founder Wangari Nyanjui
answers our questions.

1. Give us your elevator pitch.

Peperuka is a lifestyle brand that weaves African stories and connects
African cultures through unique products with powerful iconography and
language. Our products – apparel, accessories, home decor and gift items –
are urban, contemporary and inspired by everyday life as a way to start
conversations and share ideas. We celebrate who we are as Kenyans and as
Africans unapologetically. Our vision is to be the first Kenyan lifestyle
brand to go global.

2. How did you finance your startup?

I’m a graphic designer by training and run another business – Black
Butterfly Limited, which is a design agency. I used funds from that business
to start Peperuka. I started with making just a few T-shirts and attending
one or two markets a year and grew the brand organically. Four years ago, I
decided to make Peperuka my main business and have since borrowed from
family and have received investment from HEVA Fund.

3. If you were given $1 million to invest in your company now, where would
it go?

Given the vagaries of Covid, we gave up our retail space and continued to
serve our customers online. We would therefore use the money for marketing
and creating a stronger online presence. After that, we would invest in
further research and development, so that we can continue creating –
creativity is the heart of our business. Following that, we would invest in
a retail expansion strategy that allows us to get to our customers where
they are. Then we would strengthen our processes and operations by expanding
the team and production premises.

Peperuka’s production facility.

4. What risks does your business face?

Remaining relevant in the hearts and minds of our customers. The competition
for authentic merchandise is growing and so we continue to listen, innovate,
experiment and expand the edges of what we do. We have also taken measures
to protect our IP and follow through when infringed upon.

5. So far, what has proven to be the most successful form of marketing?

Social media and influencer marketing. We have been intentional about who we
would like to be seen in our brand and have, with much gratitude, been able
to connect with [celebrities such as] Lupita Nyong’o, Jidenna, Damien
Marley, Aloe Blacc, Patricia Kihoro, Grace Msalame, Larry Madowo, Trey
Songz, Ne-Yo and others.

Peperuka products on display at a pop-up store in Nairobi, Kenya.

6. Describe your most exciting entrepreneurial moment.

There are so many. I am a creative at heart, so I get excited when I see a
conversation, idea and design come to life, which happens several times a
month. Though through the years, two moments stand out in particular.

The first is what I consider the start of the business. I started this
business with the idea that T-shirts and everyday merchandise can be a
starting place for sparking ideas and conversations. I wanted to talk about
women who I considered were not being talked about enough: Winnie Mandela
(everyone talks about Nelson), Rita Marley (everyone talks about Bob),
Miriam Makeba (her music should be more mainstream) and here, at home –
Wangari Maathai. So I had these graphics and made a few t-shirts and when
Wangari Maathai passed away, I posted the graphic of her on Facebook. The
response was incredible. I realised then, that this idea I had was bigger
than me and my musings – it was a business.

The second moment was when Lupita Nyong’o wore one of our T-shirts during
her first visit to Disneyland – our website broke. That was the happiest
problem to solve.

7. Tell us about your biggest mistake.

Underestimating costs and overestimating projected income. When we first
applied for funding for HEVA, we had grand plans that would turn the
business around immediately. I quickly learned that there is no silver
bullet to growth. Getting financial support is critical but what is even
more critical is how and when to use finances to make the biggest impact
towards an ultimate vision.-Howwemadeitinafrica

Date & Time

Companies under Cautionary

Bindura Nickel Corporation

Padenga Holdings

Delta Corporation

Meikles Limited

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

Website:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AF
QjCNH8LYgdY55h-XKseuM8Kpr-JKdfhQ> www.bulls.co.zw

Blog:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw%2Fblog&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AFQjCNFoIy6F9IXAiYnSoPSgWDYsr8Sqtw> www.bulls.co.zw/blog

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2020 Web: <http:// www.bulls.co.zw >  www.bulls.co.zw Email:
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell: +263 77
344 1674