Entrepreneurship Zone: 21 September 2020: Chickens lay US$ for Moyo brothers

Bulls n Bears info at bulls.co.zw
Mon Sep 21 06:35:22 CAT 2020

 <http://www.bulls.co.zw/> Bulls.co.zw
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<http://www.bulls.co.zw/blog> Bullish Thoughts
<http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Entrepreneurship Zone: 21 September 2020: Chickens lay US$ for Moyo brothers

 <http://www.finsec.co.zw/>

WHAT started as an experimental enterprise for two brothers from a village
outside Esigodini in Umzingwane District, Matabeleland South, has turned
into a massive layer poultry farming project producing nearly 50 000 eggs
per month.

The two Moyo brothers, Guideous and Mduduzi, who is currently based in South
Africa, are involved in layer poultry farming. Their long-term plan is to
transform their business into an integrated agricultural enterprise aimed at
achieving food self-sufficiency in the country.

They have also set their eyes on introducing Macadamia nuts tree plantation
at their sprawling homestead at Matolokisi village as part of
diversification and efforts to court potential investors to grow their
business under the banner – Mpilo Royal Farming.

The Macadamia nuts plantation trial is set to be completed in 2021.

Currently, Mpilo Royal Farming is primarily focusing on layer poultry
farming and they have 1 500 layers with a batch of 2 500 more day old chicks
having been procured on Thursday to boost egg production. The birds usually
start to lay at around 20-21 weeks of age and continue to lay for 52 weeks
on average, laying fewer eggs as they near the moulting (shedding old
feathers to make way for a new growth) period. The chickens are kept in five
big fowl runs.

With the current layer chickens they have, they are producing 1 440 eggs
daily which translates to a total of 44 640 eggs every month. A crate of
eggs costs US$2,50 and demand is quite high. They also supply day-old chicks
for US$1 each.

Guideous, who is the operations manager, said when they established their
project, the aim was to participate in increasing the country’s Gross
Domestic Product (GDP) growth, boosting food security and creating jobs.

He said in line with their vision of playing a significant role in the
country’s economic growth, they intend to provide workplace experiential
learning for agricultural learners.

“We also want to create a platform for development of new agricultural
technology and new methods of farming, research in farming as well as
providing networking platform for farmers. When we started this project in
2017, we were inspired by the desire to make a meaningful contribution to
our community and the country at large,” said Guideous.

“We were also driven by the desire to empower our community through creating
employment opportunities for them.”

Guideous said initially, they intended to embark on a horticulture project,
but however, due to an acute water shortage in the area, they resorted to
poultry albeit as an experiment.

“We realised that in this part of country, we have low rainfall resulting
poor yields. Our water tables are also dry hence we then decided to come up
with this idea of trying our hands in poultry and it was actually an
experiment. At first, we were skeptical largely because we didn’t have any
knowledge in that field,” said Guideous.

“We built our first fowl run for this poultry project in 2017 and bought 100
road runners and when they started laying eggs, we bought an incubator with
a capacity to handle 360. We discovered it was a viable project and that is
when we decided to go commercial.”

Mpilo Royal Farming employs 25 workers, five of them permanently and the
rest are engaged on contract basis. Prior to the lockdown period, Mpilo
Royal Farming generated a monthly profit of R20 000

“We had more than 2 000 layers before the lockdown and business was doing
quite well and we could realise as much as R20 000 profit.

“However, when the lockdown took effect, just like any other business we
were also affected such that we ended up struggling to feed our layers and
ended up selling some of the layers to recover costs,” said Guideous.

Some of the challenges they faced included sourcing vaccines during the
lockdown, which resulted in 1 500 seven-week old chickens dying following an
outbreak of infectious bursal disease (IBD).

Guideous said they have drilled boreholes from which they pump water using a
solar powered pumping system.

Mpilo Royal Farming uses various social media platforms such as Twitter and
Facebook to market their products. Most of their clients are individuals and
companies in Bulawayo and Gwanda.

“We have an overwhelming number of customers such that we are struggling to
meet the demand.

“We are hopeful that as we continue to expand, we will be able to satisfy
the market and possibly supply the entire country with eggs,” said Guideous.

He said they were now working on courting a partner for their Macadamia nuts
tree plantation, a project that is set to generate foreign currency.

Macadamia is a genus of four species of trees indigenous to Australia, and
constituting part of the plant family Proteaceae. They are native to north
eastern New South Wales and central and south eastern Queensland.

Three species of the genus are commercially important for their fruit, the
macadamia nut, which is popularly known in manufacturing chocolates.

“Macadamia nut is a highly profitable tree that takes between four and six
years to bear its first fruit and we will be completing our trial next year.

“The next step will be to do a pilot project for two hectares after which we
start looking for investors to invest in macadamia plantations,” said
Guideous.

“Macadamia plantations will be established at Umzingwane district to bring a
lot of foreign currency that will fast track the development within the
district.

“More research is also required in terms of creating micro climate for
Macadamia nuts at Umzingwane District. It is not what Zimbabwe can do for
me, but what I can do for Zimbabwe.” —chronicle

Guideous Moyo at his thriving chicken farm in Matolokisi village, Umzingwane
District

Date & Time

28 August 2020 | 9am

Companies under Cautionary

Bindura Nickel Corporation

Padenga Holdings

Delta Corporation

Meikles Limited

Alt. Email:      info at bulls.co.zw <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

Website:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AF
QjCNH8LYgdY55h-XKseuM8Kpr-JKdfhQ> www.bullszimbabwe.com

Blog:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulls.co.zw%2Fblog&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AFQjCNFoIy6F9IXAiYnSoPSgWDYsr8Sqtw> www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2020 Web: <http:// www.bulls.co.zw >  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email:
info at bulls.co.zw <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>  Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell: +263