Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 08 September 2021

Bulls n Bears bulls at bullszimbabwe.com
Wed Sep 8 06:19:08 CAT 2021

 <https://bullszimbabwe.com/>

 <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com> Bullszimbabwe.com
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw?subject=View%20and%20Comments> Views & Comments
<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/> Bullish
Thoughts        <http://www.twitter.com/BullsBears2010> Twitter
<https://www.facebook.com/BullsBearsZimbabwe> Facebook
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bulls-n-bears-zimbabwe/57/577/72> LinkedIn
<https://chat.whatsapp.com/CF6wllAfScU9Wr6dXxoQnO> WhatsApp

Major International Business Headlines Brief::: 08 September 2021

 <https://www.nedbank.co.zw/>

ü  Boeing: Directors to face investor lawsuit over fatal crashes

ü  Woman refused 5pm finish wins £185,000 payout

ü  Tripwire boss steps down over support for Texas abortion law

ü  Perpetuus: Security review ordered into takeover of graphene firm

ü  China court drops case against ex-Alibaba employee accused of sexual
assault

ü  Fear and excitement in El Salvador as Bitcoin becomes legal tender

ü  CEO Secrets: The bra boss busting stereotypes

ü  Asian shares on edge in choppy trading, dollar holds gains

ü  American Airlines pilots' union to strike over fatigue, overscheduling

ü  PayPal heats up buy now, pay later race with $2.7 bln Japan deal

ü  BlackRock's China unit raises $1 bln in maiden mutual fund

ü  Shareholders may pursue 737 MAX claims against Boeing board, court rules

ü  White House: U.S. states to decide whether to extend lapsed jobless
benefits

ü  Ford poaches Apple's car project chief Doug Field

ü  Chevron to sell test batch of sustainable aviation fuel to Delta Air

ü  Toshiba says board has not yet decided on best strategic option

ü  Investors call for private firms to disclose more environmental data

ü  Cryptocurrency prices tumble and exchange trading falters as snags crop
up

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

Boeing: Directors to face investor lawsuit over fatal crashes

Boeing's board of directors must face a lawsuit from shareholders over two
fatal crashes involving its 737 Max plane, a US judge has ruled.

Morgan Zurn said the first crash was a "red flag" about a key safety system
on the aircraft "that the board should have heeded but instead ignored".

He said the real victims were those who died and their families but
investors had also "lost billions of dollars".

Boeing said it would "consider next steps".

In his ruling the Delaware judge said: "While it may seem callous in the
face of [the families'] losses, corporate law recognizes another set of
victims: Boeing as an enterprise, and its stockholders.

"Stockholders have come to this court claiming Boeing's directors and
officers failed them in overseeing mission-critical airplane safety to
protect enterprise and stockholder value."

The crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia in 2018 and 2019 killed all 346 people
on board, leading to the 737 Max being grounded around the world.

Investigations later found a flaw in an automated flight control system,
known as MCAS, was at fault.

In January, Boeing paid $2.5bn to settle criminal charges it concealed
information about changes to MCAS from safety officials, contributing to the
crashes.

But it still faces civil lawsuits from families along with the latest action
from shareholders.

On Tuesday, Vice Chancellor Zurn dismissed some of the investors' claims,
including one regarding a decision to award former chief executive Dennis
Muilenburg a $60m retirement package after he was fired.

However, the judge said another claim about board member oversight could go
ahead. Shares in the plane maker slumped following the accidents and are yet
to fully recover.

A Boeing spokesperson said: "We are disappointed in the court's decision to
allow the plaintiffs' case to proceed past this preliminary stage of
litigation.

"We will review the opinion closely over the coming days as we consider next
steps."

The Max was cleared to fly in the US in November 2020, and in Europe and
Canada in January this year. It remains grounded in China.

The crashes have already cost Boeing about $20bn in fines, cancelled orders
and other costs.-BBC

Woman refused 5pm finish wins £185,000 payout

Alice Thompson wanted to work shorter hours to pick her daughter up from
nursery, but ended up resigning.

The former estate agent spent tens of thousands of pounds pursuing the case
against her former employer.

She was awarded £185,000 by an employment tribunal and this week told the
BBC it was "a long, exhausting journey".

The tribunal ruled she had suffered indirect sex discrimination when the
firm refused to consider her request.

Ms Thompson was a successful sales manager at a small independent estate
agents in central London before she became pregnant in 2018.

"I'd put my heart and soul into an estate agency career for more than a
decade," she told BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour.

"That's no mean feat, it's quite a male dominated environment to work in.
And I'd worked really hard to build relationships with clients."

When she wanted to return to work after maternity leave, she asked her
employer if she could work shorter hours, a four day week, and leave at 5pm,
rather than the normal end-of-day at 6pm, to pick her daughter up from
nursery.

Her manager said they couldn't afford for her to work part time.

"I made a request for flexible working that wasn't seriously considered," Ms
Thompson says.

"I proposed what would have worked for me. If that didn't work for the
company, I would have been more than happy to hear a counter offer, what
might work for them.

"If they needed me for the full hours, maybe eight 'til five instead of nine
'til six, that's something I could have worked around.

"But it was shut down, every avenue, not listened to, not considered. And I
was left with no other option but to resign.

"How are mums meant to have careers and families? It's 2021 not 1971."

She said she was motivated to pursue the legal challenge in order to prompt
change.

"I've got a daughter and I didn't want her to experience the same treatment
in 20, 30 years' time, when she's in the workplace."

She said her effort was worth it to "stand up for what is right".

The tribunal found that the firm's failure to consider more flexible working
put Ms Thompson at a disadvantage, and upheld her claim. The judge awarded
her almost £185,000 for loss of earnings, loss of pension contributions,
injury to feelings and interest.

"Losing a job unexpectedly is always a cause of unhappiness, shock, and
sometimes anger, as shown by the way many employees react to redundancy,
even when there has been proper consultation, and even when it is never
suggested their performance was not good enough," the tribunal found.

"Here the claimant resented that flexible working appeared not to be
considered properly - as in our finding it was not - and felt that this was
an injustice because of her sex, which it was."

Other claims denied

However several other claims Ms Thompson made regarding her treatment,
including discrimination because of pregnancy and maternity, and harassment,
were denied by the tribunal.

The tribunal found that the director of the Manors estate agency, Paul
Sellar, had moved a staff trip to New York from November to August so Ms
Thompson could fly in when pregnant, and there were checks to see when the
latest was that she could fly.

When there, she did not join the other six for a boat trip.

"She did go shopping and then back to the hotel. In our finding she was
upset that the others had had a good time drinking and were late back. She
may have felt excluded, but it was not because of any action on the part of
the respondent," the judges said.

On the return journey from New York, Mr Sellar commented that Ms Thompson
did not seem to have enjoyed the trip, and she replied that she had felt
isolated and became tearful.

A few days later he suggested she should not have gone to New York.

"We can understand that Mr Sellar may have found her response ungrateful
when the group trip had cost him £25,000," the judges said.

'Missing out'

While she was determined to pursue the legal action she told Woman's Hour it
was challenging.

"It's a very emotional process once you've had a child. You have a new
identity as a mum, you're trying to figure things out on that field, and
then you're going back to work as well," said Ms Thompson.

But she said workplaces that didn't support returning mothers risked
"missing out on some fantastic women, who have been really successful,
because they are short-sighted and don't want to be flexible".

She said many women had reached out to her in the wake of the ruling, many
of whom had similar experiences but didn't have the mental or financial
capacity to pursue a claim.

"It did come at a huge financial cost... and obviously there's the risk you
might not get that money back if you lose, but there's a greater picture to
trying to make some small change in the world for the better."

The BBC approached Manors for comment.-BBC

Tripwire boss steps down over support for Texas abortion law

The president of game-studio Tripwire Interactive has stepped down after
tweeting support for a controversial new abortion law in Texas.

The Texas law bans abortions from as early as six weeks into pregnancy.

John Gibson tweeted he was "proud" of the legal outcome and was a "a
pro-life game developer".

Some of the studio's partners rapidly distanced themselves from Mr Gibson,
with one announcing it would cancel its contracts over the issue.

And two days after the tweet was posted, amid an avalanche of criticism,
Tripwire said: "Effective immediately, John Gibson has stepped down."

Mr Gibson's comments had been his own - and not the company's, it said.

"His comments disregarded the values of our whole team, our partners and
much of our broader community," Tripwire said.

"Our leadership team at Tripwire are deeply sorry and are unified in our
commitment to take swift action and to foster a more positive environment."

Intense controversy

Tripwire is a developer of titles including Man Eater, in which gamers play
as a shark, and the publisher of medieval-combat game Chivalry 2.

Mr Gibson had tweeted: "As an entertainer, I don't get political often."

Proud of #USSupremeCourt affirming the Texas law banning abortion for babies
with a heartbeat. As an entertainer I don’t get political often. Yet with so
many vocal peers on the other side of this issue, I felt it was important to
go on the record as a pro-life game developer.

But he was "proud of US Supreme Court affirming the Texas law banning
abortion for babies with a heartbeat" - a description medical authorities
say is misleading.

"With so many vocal peers on the other side of this issue, I felt it was
important to go on the record as a pro-life game developer," he had added.

The tweet quickly generated intense controversy.

Many individual gamers called for a boycott of Tripwire's games, sharing
tips on how to hide listings for its products in Steam's online game store
or making donations to women's charities in Mr Gibson's name.

Supporters of the Texas law also responded, with the original tweet clocking
up nearly 13,000 replies.

But Shipwright Studios, a "work-for-hire" studio that contributed to some of
Tripwire's games, wrote it was ending a three-year relationship because of
Mr Gibson's comments.

"While your politics are your own, the moment you make them a matter of
public discourse you entangle all of those working for and with you,"
Shipwright Studios said.

"We cannot in good conscience continue to work with Tripwire under the
current leadership... [and] will begin the cancellation of our existing
contracts".

Chivalry 2 creator Torn Banner Studios also condemned Mr Gibson's stance.

"This perspective is not shared by our team, nor is it reflected in the
games we create," it wrote.

"The statement stands in opposition to what we believe about women's
rights."

We do not share the opinion expressed in a recent tweet by the president of
Tripwire, publisher of Chivalry 2. This perspective is not shared by our
team, nor is it reflected in the games we create. The statement stands in
opposition to what we believe about women’s rights.

Tripwire said vice-president and co-founder Alan Wilson would take over as
interim chief executive, promising to listen to remaining concerns from
employees and external partners.

"His understanding of both the company's culture and the creative vision of
our games will carry the team through this transition," it added.

Mr Gibson has been contacted for comment.-BBC

Perpetuus: Security review ordered into takeover of graphene firm

The UK has ordered a security review into the planned China-linked takeover
of a Welsh graphene firm.

Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng has told the Competition and Markets
Authority to investigate the takeover of Perpetuus by a firm called Taurus
International and a Chinese academic.

Mr Kwarteng issued the public intervention notice "on the public interest
ground of national security".

The CMA has until 7 February next year to report on the planned move.

According to government documents, the business department has concerns
because while Perpetuus has just 14 employees and turnover of less than
£500,000, it supplies "at least one quarter" of all graphene plasma goods in
the UK.

Recently, Prime Minister Boris Johnson asked his national security adviser
Sir Stephen Lovegrove to examine the proposed takeover of another Welsh
company, Newport Wafer Fab, by the Chinese-based company Nexperia.

Newport Wafer Fab is the UK's largest chip computer plant and employs 450
people.

The review of the Perpetuus deal comes after the government announced it
would also scrutinise proposed takeovers of defence and aerospace firms such
as Ultra Electronics and Meggitt by US companies.

Mr Kwarteng recently cautioned that foreign investment in the UK "must not
threaten our national security".

Few details are available online on Taurus International, which was
registered in London in 2020, or the proposed deal.

The CMA has, however, also been instructed to investigate the involvement of
Chinese academic Dr Zhongfu Zhou, "or any enterprise associated with him or
the company" in the takeover.

Perpetuus's website describes Dr Zhou as its chief nanotechnology scientist
and one of the world's leading authorities in 2D materials and their
applications, such as graphene.

It says after graduating and working as a lecturer in China, Dr Zhou studied
further in the UK, before taking up a post at Aberystwyth University's
Department of Physics, where his contract came to an end last year.

Perpetuus, founded in 2013, has just three sites across South Wales.
Although it only had a turnover of £479,000 in the year to March 2020,
according to its latest accounts filed, it has attracted the attention of
Taurus International due to its innovations.

Graphene has previously been described as a "wonder material", stronger than
diamond and flexible like rubber - despite being one of the thinnest
materials in the world.

It was discovered in 2004 by academics at Manchester University, who were
awarded the 2010 Nobel prize in physics for their work.

Perpetuus says on its website that it has used its technology to strengthen
goods such as bicycle and car tyres, for example. It has also been reported
it is developing "graphene-enabled" batteries.

The CMA will prepare a report on the proposed Perpetuus deal by 7 February
next year.

Perpetuus declined to comment, while Dr Zhou did not immediately respond to
the BBC's request.-BBC

China court drops case against ex-Alibaba employee accused of sexual assault

A court in China has dropped a case against a former Alibaba employee
accused of sexual assault.

The district court in north-eastern Shandong province said the "forcible
indecency" committed by the man, identified as Wang, was not a crime.

The employee was arrested last month after a female employee of Alibaba said
she was sexually assaulted on a business trip.

Her allegations were shared widely on Chinese social media.

Police in the city of Jinan, where the incident took place, said the
investigation was closed but that Wang will remain under detention for 15
days "as punishment".

The People's Procuratorate of Huaiyin city in Jinan added that Mr Wang's
arrest order was not approved.

"Alibaba Group has a zero-tolerance policy against sexual misconduct, and
ensuring a safe workplace for all our employees is Alibaba's top priority"
an Alibaba spokesperson told the BBC in response to news of the case being
dropped.

What were the allegations?

The woman's account of the incident was published in an eleven-page
document, in which she said the manager raped her in a hotel room while she
was unconscious after a "drunken night".

It prompted a social media storm on China's Twitter-like platform, Weibo.

The woman alleged that the manager coerced her into travelling to the city
of Jinan, which is around 900km (560 miles) from Alibaba's head office in
Hangzhou, for a meeting with a client.

She accused her superiors of ordering her to drink alcohol with co-workers
during dinner.

She said that on the evening of 27 July the client kissed her. She then
recalls waking up in her hotel room the next day without her clothes on and
with no memory of the night before.

The woman said she obtained surveillance camera footage that showed the
manager had gone into her room four times during the evening.

After returning to Hangzhou, the woman said the incident was reported to
Alibaba's human resources (HR) department and senior management and that she
had requested the manager be fired.

She said that human resources initially agreed to the request but took no
further action.

What has the response been?

Alibaba faced fierce public backlash, later firing Mr Wang. The company said
two executives who failed to act on the allegation also resigned.

A memo was issued saying Alibaba was "staunchly opposed to forced drinking
culture".

Alibaba had earlier said the man accused of rape had admitted that "there
were intimate acts" while the woman was "inebriated".

On Tuesday, China's Global Times reported that "the police investigation
showed that [the woman] drank about 350 millilitres of alcohol the previous
night but no one forced her to drink excessively."

It added that the alleged victim had given Mr Wang consent to enter her
room, after he was told to check on her by another colleague.

Although Mr Wang's case will not progress, prosecutors of the court have
approved the arrest of the client who allegedly assaulted the victim. He has
been identified by his surname Zhang.

Mr Zhang has also reportedly been fired by his company.

The latest development continues to divide opinion online. Some social media
users posted that he got away too lightly while others say there wasn't
enough evidence against him.

Many online users expressed confusion at how Mr Wang could be detained for
15 days if he is found not guilty.

Mr Wang's wife later put out a statement on social media platform Weibo,
saying she thanked the court for its "fair handling of the case, and... all
enthusiastic netizens for their understanding, encouragement and
support."-BBC

Fear and excitement in El Salvador as Bitcoin becomes legal tender

El Salvador has become the first country to accept Bitcoin as legal tender
in a move that has got the nation and the world debating the opportunities
and dangers of cryptocurrency.

>From today, businesses will be obliged where possible to accept the
controversial digital coins as payment.

Millions of people are expected to download the government's new digital
wallet app which gives away $30 (£22) in Bitcoin to every citizen.

Bitcoin fans around the world have been buying $30 worth of the digital
coins as a show of support and to help boost the value of the volatile
currency.

Excited by Bitcoin

Salvadorian taxi driver Daniel Hercules, who's 26, is excited by the move,
but also worried about how stable his earnings will be.

image captionTaxi driver Daniel Hercules has been accepting Bitcoin for
weeks but is worried about its stability

"I've accepted Bitcoin for about two months since I knew this was coming. I
just had someone pay me $40 in Bitcoin for a fare to the airport but it's
rare. Only around 10% of customers prefer to pay with Bitcoin."

Daniel says the cost of converting Bitcoin into the local currency - the US
dollar - is high at 10%, so he is using the money like a savings account.

He hopes to grow his wallet to around $1,000 in Bitcoin but is scared about
the currency crashing.

"It is one of the things that worries me the most. Losing money from long
days of work would not be OK."

Bitcoin fluctuations

The value of Bitcoin has risen and fallen dramatically in the last year.

It went from about $10,000 for a single coin in September 2020 to a high of
$63,000 in April 2021 then falling to $30,000 in July this year.

The value of Bitcoin has risen in recent weeks to $51,000 which some
analysts have linked to the El Salvador news.

On Monday, a viral post on the three-million-strong Bitcoin page on Reddit
read: "So
 We all buying $30 worth of Bitcoin on Tuesday?"

Crypto uncertainty

However, a survey by the Central American University (UCA) found that only
4.8% of the 1,281 people who took part understood what Bitcoin was and how
it was used.

More than 68% of those questioned said they disagreed with using
cryptocurrency as a legal tender.

Jeanette Sandoval, 70, sells groceries for home delivery with her son. She
says she will not be getting involved.

"I have always been open to change, but this time I do not agree. Our
customers says they will not be paying in Bitcoin.

"In my country there are many people who are illiterate and hardly have a
cell phone, not an intelligent one, but one of the old ones. They will not
use it.

"At the moment, I am not going to download the application, but one day I
will have to. I am not interested in those$30 that they will give away, I
prefer, and I have always done, with the sweat of my shirt to earn my
money."

Protests against Bitcoin

More than 200 new cash machines are being installed across the country to
enable dollars to be converted into Bitcoin.

Recent protests in the capital, San Salvador, have demonstrated a lack of
confidence among citizens who feel the measure is a distraction from the
government's controversial rule.

Government control

Many governments around the world, such as China, are going in the opposite
direction and attempting to restrict the adoption of cryptocurrency with
increased regulations.

However, former El Salvadorian resident and now US-based Bitcoin enthusiast
Gerson Martinez thinks El Salvador won't be the last country to adopt
Bitcoin.

"It's hard to describe the hope and joy it makes me feel that our country is
the first domino to fall in this inevitable transition. What a time to be a
Salvadoran," he said.-BBC

CEO Secrets: The bra boss busting stereotypes

Leanne Cahill knows she is a rare breed - a woman from a working-class
background, with a physical disability leading a well-known High Street
chain.

There are still remarkably few women at the top of the UK's biggest retail
businesses, she points out.

"We are overdue a revolution," she has said previously, considering there
are no women running retail firms among the UK's top 350, publicly-listed
companies.

Ms Cahill's firm, Bravissimo specialises in lingerie for women in larger
sizes and launched 25 years ago. It has 26 stores dotted across the UK and
had a turnover of £60m, before Covid struck.

The business posted profits of £130,000 in October 2019, down from £1.4m the
previous year, after the company invested in US expansion.

image captionThe Bravissimo chain specialises in bra sizes of D-cup and
larger

The idea of becoming the boss of a multi-million pound company however,
seemed far-fetched when Ms Cahill was at secondary school in Sunderland in
the early 1990s.

"I had an affinity for maths and numbers, and I was very ambitious," she
remembers, "I really wanted to get to the top of whatever I did."

"But if the women aren't there doing it and you're not seeing that, you
can't see yourself in that place, it's absolutely a barrier," she adds.

However, it wasn't just business role models she lacked, growing up in a
solidly working-class neighbourhood in the north-east of England, it was
knowledge of a breadth of careers.

"I didn't actually know anyone who had a professional job. I had no idea
what people did in offices."

One defining moment from her school days sticks with her though.

"For the careers session - singular! - we were taken into a room and asked
what we wanted to do. The boys were taken to one side, to talk about working
in the Nissan car factory. The girls were taken to the other side of the
room to talk about Dewhurst's, the clothing factory. It was assumed that's
what you'd do."

Her school didn't offer A-levels, so she transferred to a local college and
went on to study maths at university, followed by accountancy.

Looking for a "clear line" in to a secure, well-paid job, she considered law
and finance. But one incident pushed her firmly towards finance.

"During a tour of law courts I was told, 'of course, you'll have to have
elocution lessons if you want to be taken seriously in court'. I thought,
'finance it is then."

In fact, prejudice about her northern accent is something she still
encounters to this day.

Recently a consultant called her to propose a meeting. When she answered and
took the call, he assumed he had the wrong number. "It was my accent that
made them assume I couldn't be the CEO," says Ms Cahill.

After university Ms Cahill joined a management training scheme run by retail
chain, Marks & Spencer.

This was very much "hands on, in at-the-deep-end" training, remembers Ms
Cahill, and she learned some life-long lessons out on the shop floor

She slowly worked her way up the ladder in to increasingly senior positions,
before joining Bravissimo at senior management level in 2017.

Bravissimo was founded in 1995 by Sarah Tremellen, who built the business up
from her bedroom. Ms Cahill joined the company as finance director in 2017
and was promoted to CEO in 2020 to help scale the business further.

She says she related strongly to the 'mission' behind the chain that Sarah
Tremellen founded - it aims to offer a service for women that traditional
clothing departments in large stores do not.

"All our customers have in common is that they are above a D-cup [bra size],
and our job is to make them feel confident."

The average bra size for a UK woman is now 36DD, and dress size is 16, but
most High Street shops continue to cater much of their stock to the smaller
end of the market.

Although the UK remains "streets ahead" when it comes to fashion for women
who take larger bra sizes, according to Ms Cahill. Many countries don't have
similar, specialist shops, including significant markets like the US, where
they have just opened a store, in New York.

"If you are walking into a shop and the experience is, 'Oh, we may have
something in your size', and they produce just one bra, you feel
marginalised, like there is something wrong with you."

The company has also taken a lead in using photography of larger-sized
models, including customers and staff with more average-sized figures.

image captionBravissimo has championed the use of women who are not
professional models

"It's not for the sake of diversity [we use these models], it's to deliver
our purpose," says Ms Cahill. "I don't know if we are pioneers, a lot of
companies are doing it and it's great."

Ms Cahill has a personal reason to empathise with other women on the issue
of body image.

She has a visible, physical disability. She is missing a right hand, which
she describes as a "limb difference."

"My hand didn't develop in the womb. There can be physical or environmental
causes for this. In my case, my parents didn't know about it until I was
born.

"I don't think I've faced prejudice because of this, but it has impacted me,
though not in the way people assume," she explains.

"There are extra challenges, you have to do things a different way. Doing
things for the first time is always harder, but you build capabilities that
are nothing to do with the physical. So, I'm very resilient, I can
absolutely bounce back from tough things, I do it all the time.

image captionMs Cahill has worked at businesses like Travelex, Boots and
Marks & Spencer during her career

You also have to be creative, she adds, because you have to find different,
unconventional ways to do simple tasks, that are straight-forward for many
people.

"It gives you self-confidence in a different way, and that's possibly more
relevant in business and leadership as it is in everyday life," she says.

"This is the conversation that people don't have about disability," she
says. "People who have that life experience can bring a lot because of the
other capabilities they've developed, that's the positive side. It's added
so much to my mindset and character."

While Ms Cahill lacked women role models when she started out, she now has
almost the opposite problem.

Six out of seven people in her leadership team are women. Women make up more
than 90% of Bravissimo's staff - not surprising, since many started off
working as bra-fitters, an intimate role where fitters work one-on-one with
customers to help them select bras, swimwear and lingerie.

So, does leading a team of mainly women mean you have to be a different kind
of leader?

"I am very conscious of working harder to inspire confidence and talk about
mistakes and then be part of the learning process," says Ms. Cahill.

"It's funny, when we talk about gender diversity, we [Bravissimo] are
looking at it from the opposite angle - we are thinking we could do with
more guys!"-BBC

Asian shares on edge in choppy trading, dollar holds gains

(Reuters) - Asian shares hovered just off six-week highs on Wednesday, as a
more risk-averse mood spread into the market from the United States
overnight due to worries about slowing growth that hurt equities while
helping the dollar firm.

MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan (.MIAPJ0000PUS)
fell 0.13% having posted gains, if sometimes small, for 11 of the last 12
sessions.

Japan's Nikkei (.N225) reversed early losses and was last 0.42% higher after
revised gross domestic product growth figures beat expectations for the
world's third-biggest economy. L4N2Q90R4

Most other moves were muted in early trading. Australia (.AXJO) slipped
0.32%, Chinese blue chips (.CSI300) fell 0.04%, and the Hong Kong benchmark
(.HSI) gained 0.12%.

Medium-term prospects for the region also continue to weigh on shares in
Asia. The MSCI regional benchmark is still well off all-time highs, unlike
equity markets in the U.S. and Europe.

"The Asia Pacific region – following a zero-tolerance (coronavirus) pandemic
policy and reliant on exports for growth - could underperform as global
demand for goods softens and social distancing restrictions in many APAC
cities are reimposed," said David Chao, Global Market Strategist, Asia
Pacific (ex-Japan) at Invesco

"This, coupled with the region's much lower vaccination rate, could lead to
a continued cycle of lockdown and releases."

U.S. stock futures, the S&P 500 e-minis , gained 0.10%.

Overnight the MSCI world equity index (.MIWD00000PUS) retreated from a
record high after seven consecutive days of gains.

U.S. shares had slipped, said analysts at ANZ in a note, on concerns that
the U.S. economy may be starting to slow following "the weaker-than-expected
jobs data on Friday evening after which markets were closed for a long
weekend."

In Europe, meanwhile, they said, "markets are focused on whether the
European Central Bank will begin to scale back its bond purchase programme."

The Dow Jones Industrial Average (.DJI) and S&P 500 (.SPX) fell 0.76% and
0.34% while the Nasdaq Composite (.IXIC) climbed 0.07% to another record
close as investors switched out of cyclicals into blue-chip tech stocks.

The dollar held onto its overnight gains against a basket of its peers
having risen from near a four week-low overnight alongside benchmark U.S.
treasury yields.

Yields on 10-year Treasury notes dropped back in Asian hours and were last
at 1.3570% compared to a U.S. close of 1.371% on Tuesday, after touching an
eight-week high of 1.385% earlier in the day.

Higher yields had hurt non-interest-bearing gold overnight, but the spot
price gained 0.18% on Wednesday to $1798.03 per ounce, edging back towards
$1800 having fallen below the level in the previous session.

Bitcoin paused for breath after plunging 17% on Monday to a low of around
$43,000 before recovering. It was last at $47,000, little changed in Asian
hours.

U.S. crude oil meanwhile ticked up 0.29% to $68.55 a barrel as Brent crude
gained 0.1% to $71.73 per barrel.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

American Airlines pilots' union to strike over fatigue, overscheduling

(Reuters) - The labor union representing American Airlines (AAL.O) pilots
said it will begin informational picketing in coming weeks at the carrier's
major hubs to protest their work schedule, fatigue, and lack of adequate
accommodation over the summer.

The Allied Pilots Association will picket at Miami International Airport,
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, and other locations, it said in an
emailed statement to Reuters.

"Our airline needs scheduling practices that support the safety margin,
respect pilots' and passengers' needs, and de-risk American Airlines to
protect and improve revenue," the union said.

American did not immediately respond to a request for comment outside
regular business hours.

In August, a union representing Southwest Airlines pilots filed a lawsuit
challenging forced time off and other changes to working conditions imposed
by the airline during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

PayPal heats up buy now, pay later race with $2.7 bln Japan deal

(Reuters) - U.S. payments giant PayPal Holdings Inc (PYPL.O) said it would
acquire Japanese buy now, pay later (BNPL) firm Paidy in a $2.7 billion
largely cash deal, taking another step to claim the top spot in an industry
witnessing a pandemic-led boom.

The deal tracks rival Square Inc's (SQ.N) agreement last month to buy
Australian BNPL success story Afterpay Ltd (APT.AX) for $29 billion, which
experts said was likely the beginning of a consolidation in the sector.

The BNPL business model has been hugely successful during the pandemic,
fuelled by federal stimulus checks, and upended consumer credit markets.

These alternative credit firms make money by charging merchants a fee to
offer small point-of-sale loans which shoppers repay in interest-free
instalments, bypassing credit checks.

Heavyweights like Apple Inc (AAPL.O) and Goldman Sachs (GS.N) are the latest
heavyweights that have been reported to be readying a version of the
service.

Paypal, already considered a leader in the BNPL market, also entered
Australia last year, raising the stakes for smaller companies such as Sezzle
Inc and Z1P.AX Co Ltd (Z1P.AX), stocks of which were down in midday trading
on Wednesday.

"The acquisition will expand PayPal's capabilities, distribution and
relevance in the domestic payments market in Japan, the third largest
ecommerce market in the world, complementing the company's existing
cross-border ecommerce business in the country," PayPal said in a statement
on Tuesday.

After the acquisition, Paidy will continue to operate its existing business
and maintain its brand. Founder and Chairman Russell Cummer and President
and Chief Executive Riku Sugie will continue to hold their roles in the
company, PayPal said.

The Financial Times had reported last month that Paidy was considering
becoming a publicly listed company.

The transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2021, and will
be minimally dilutive to PayPal's adjusted earnings per share in 2022.

BofA Securities was the sole financial adviser to PayPal on the deal, and
White & Case was lead legal adviser. Goldman Sachs advised Paidy, and Cooley
LLP and Mori Hamada & Matsumoto provided it legal counsel.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

BlackRock's China unit raises $1 bln in maiden mutual fund

(Reuters) - BlackRock's mutual fund subsidiary in China established its
first fund in the country after raising 6.68 billion yuan ($1.03 billion) in
a shortened subscription period, signalling a warm reception by Chinese
investors.

BlackRock (BLK.N), the first foreign asset manager to operate a wholly-owned
business in China's $3.6 trillion mutual fund industry, said on Wednesday
its newly-launched China equity fund had raised 6.68 billion yuan from over
111,000 investors.

The BlackRock China New Horizon Mixed Securities Investment Fund, launched
on Aug. 30, stopped taking new subscriptions on Sept. 3, a week earlier than
planned.

"We are very proud of achieving this milestone for our China fund management
business, and are grateful for investors' overwhelming support," Rachel
Lord, BlackRock's Chair and Head of Asia Pacific said in a statement.

The fundraising by BlackRock, the world's biggest asset manager, is being
closely watched as more global players are preparing to enter China's
fast-growing, but highly-competitive mutual fund market.

Fidelity International is setting up its mutual fund subsidiary in China,
while Neuberger Berman, Schroders PLC (SDR.L) and VanEck have also applied
to set up China units to sell retail funds. Beijing scrapped a foreign
ownership cap in the sector on April 1, 2020.

BlackRock, which entered China more than 15 years ago, also owns a
minority-owned mutual fund venture in China, as well as a majority-owned
Chinese wealth management venture.

($1 = 6.4662 Chinese yuan)

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Shareholders may pursue 737 MAX claims against Boeing board, court rules

(Reuters) - A Delaware judge ruled on Tuesday that Boeing's (BA.N) board of
directors must face a lawsuit from shareholders over two fatal 737 MAX
crashes that killed 346 people in less than six months.

Vice Chancellor Morgan Zurn ruled Boeing stockholders may pursue some claims
against the board, but dismissed others.

Zurn's ruling in the Court of Chancery said the first of the two fatal 737
MAX crashes was a "red flag" about a key safety system known as MCAS "that
the board should have heeded but instead ignored."

Boeing said late Tuesday it was "disappointed in the court's decision to
allow the plaintiffs' case to proceed past this preliminary stage of
litigation. We will review the opinion closely over the coming days as we
consider next steps."

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration lifted a flight ban on the 737 MAX
in November after a 20-month review following the fatal crashes in 2018 and
2019. In January, Boeing was charged by the Justice Department with 737 MAX
fraud conspiracy and agreed to a deferred prosecution agreement and
settlement worth more than $2.5 billion.

Zurn's ruling found some evidence submitted by Boeing supported the
shareholders' allegations. "That the board knowingly fell short is also
evident in the board's public crowing about taking specific actions to
monitor safety that it did not actually perform," the ruling said.

In a lengthy summary of the shareholder's case, Zurn said the board
"publicly lied about if and how it monitored the 737 MAX's safety."

The opinion also cited comments by Dave Calhoun, then lead Boeing director,
who became Boeing chief executive in January 2020 after the board ousted CEO
Dennis Muilenburg.

It cited Calhoun's comments that "the board had been 'notified immediately,
as a board broadly,' after the Lion Air crash and met 'very, very quickly'
thereafter."

It added that after the second crash of an Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX in
March 2019, Calhoun represented that the board met within 24 hours of the
crash to discuss potentially grounding the 737 MAX.

"Each of Calhoun's representations was false," Zurn's ruling said.

The crashes have cost Boeing some $20 billion.

Brian Quinn, a professor at Boston College Law School, said the ruling
clears the way for additional discovery and potentially a trial, although he
considered that very unlikely.

"Right now everything is lining up where the board of directors are telling
their attorneys I don't want to go to trial. You need to pay them whatever
it costs and I cannot as a director admit liability," he said.

In that scenario, the directors' insurance would likely pay any settlement,
he said.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

White House: U.S. states to decide whether to extend lapsed jobless benefits

(Reuters) - Local officials who want to extend enhanced unemployment
benefits can do so, the White House said on Tuesday, a day after the
administration and U.S. Congress allowed a program to lapse which had
boosted payments during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Programs providing up to $300 extra a week to millions of people who lost
their jobs during the pandemic ended on Monday as the U.S. celebrated Labor
Day.

Benefits were also available for people who normally do not qualify for
state unemployment money, with checks going to those without jobs for an
extended period of time and to "gig workers" who perform on-demand services,
including as drivers, delivering groceries or providing childcare. Those
people will be cut off entirely.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said there are other options available
for states to extend benefits to people in need.

"The message to these individuals is we're going to continue to have your
back," she said.

The funding for extra jobless benefits had been provided as an economic
stimulus measure in a series of bills following the COVID-19 pandemic,
including the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan passed in March by Biden
and his fellow Democrats. The administration never pushed for a nationwide
extension.

Psaki said the White House would "continue to work with states where you're
living to help them implement programs, including the distribution of the
American Rescue Plan funding, so that you can get the assistance you need."

Republicans opposed the benefits, saying they would discourage work at a
time when a record 10.1 million job openings were available, as of the end
of June. Many governors cut off the extra payments in their states.

Still, there was little direct evidence the payments were the primary factor
pushing people out of the labor force.

The White House is leaving the choice to the states and said it will work
with them to access other funding from the stimulus bill or other sources if
they want to expand unemployment benefits.

"Twenty-four states ended these benefits already," she told reporters aboard
Air Force One.

"There's 26 states left. All of those states are not in the same economic
circumstances. Their unemployment rate ranges from 3% to 7%, or about an
average of 5%, and almost all if not all of those states have the funding
and the ability to continue to implement additional benefits."

President Joe Biden has made engineering a recovery from the COVID-19
recession a key focus since taking office in January, but the rebound has
faced obstacles from rising coronavirus cases to higher prices, lingering
unemployment and a lack of available workers and supplies.

Nonfarm payrolls increased by 235,000 jobs last month after surging 1.053
million in July, the Labor Department said on Friday. Economists had
expected 728,000 new jobs.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Ford poaches Apple's car project chief Doug Field

(Reuters) - The head of Apple Inc's(AAPL.O) car project, Doug Field, is
going to work for Ford Motor Co(F.N)to lead the automaker's advanced
technology and embedded systems efforts, a hiring coup for Ford Chief
Executive Jim Farley.

Field most recently served as vice president of special projects at Apple
and was previously senior vice president, engineering at Tesla . Earlier in
his career, Field worked at Ford.

In his new role, Field will report to Farley, leading software and
connectivity strategy, and working in partnership with Hau Thai-Tang, Ford’s
chief product platform and operations officer, Ford said. Thai-Tang oversees
the development and design of cars and trucks, as well as supply chain and
other operations, Ford said on Tuesday.

The hire of Field and the management structure created to accommodate him
underscore the rising importance of software and digital connectivity in the
auto industry.

“This is a watershed moment for our company,” Farley said on a call
reporters.

Since taking over as Ford CEO last October, Farley has stressed the
importance of developing stronger digital services and connections to
generate continuing revenue from consumer and commercial customers.

"The entire customer experience of the future goes through the embedded
system," Farley said.

He compared the auto industry to the mobile phone industry when the first
iPhone was introduced, and customers saw that a phone could do far more than
make a voice call.

Field's move to Ford was first reported by Bloomberg.

It was not clear what Field's decision to leave Apple means for the iPhone
maker's efforts to develop a vehicle for its brand.

Industry sources told Reuters last year that Apple was aiming to launch an
electric car with advanced battery technology by 2024.

Since then, however, Apple has not disclosed specific plans. Meanwhile, the
field of start-ups and established automakers chasing Tesla Inc(TSLA.O) in
China, the United States and Europe has only grown, with the investment of
billions of dollars.

Field said on Tuesday he would not talk about his work at Apple.

Apple said in a statement "we’re grateful for the contributions Doug has
made to Apple and we wish him all the best in this next chapter."

Field now will take on the challenge of constructively blending Silicon
Valley software culture and the auto industry's manufacturing mindset that
has frustrated many other executives at established automakers and at tech
industry startups, including Tesla.

Field said he plans to keep houses in Silicon Valley and Michigan, the
better to have access to talent and technology in the technology sector.

In developing a new digital platform for Ford's future vehicles, Field said
he is open to partnerships with technology industry partners, but "we have
to control the experience we give to our customers and we have to have
control over our destiny."

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Chevron to sell test batch of sustainable aviation fuel to Delta Air

(Reuters) - Chevron Corp (CVX.N) plans to produce a test batch of
sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) and sell it to Delta Air Lines (DAL.N) at
the Los Angeles International Airport, the companies said on Tuesday.

The move is part of a partnership the companies announced with Alphabet
Inc-owned (GOOGL.O) Google to track SAF test batch emissions data using
cloud-based technology.

Delta has pledged to replace 10% of its jet fuel with SAF by 2030.
Sustainable aviation fuel is made from feedstocks such as used cooking oil
and animal fat and can be three or four times more expensive than making
traditional jet fuel.

The Biden administration is quietly discussing a target date of 2050 for
weaning aircraft off fossil fuels as part of the White House's broader push
to fight climate change, Reuters reported last month citing sources. read
more

Through the project, Chevron expects to produce the SAF at its El Segundo
Refinery for Delta and Google Cloud plans to build a framework to analyze
the emissions data.

The companies expect to create a more transparent model for analyzing
potential greenhouse gas emissions reductions that could be adopted by
organizations considering SAF programs.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Toshiba says board has not yet decided on best strategic option

(Reuters) - Toshiba Corp (6502.T) said on Wednesday its board has not yet
decided on the most appropriate strategic option for the company and is
continuing to explore feasible alternatives.

The board has determined that its strategic review committee should focus on
potential investors' approach on corporate value including how to resolve
issues faced in pursuing take-private options, it said in a statement.

Toshiba has been in talks with at least four global private equity firms
including KKR & Co Inc (KKR.N) to seek their ideas for its new strategy,
Reuters has reported. read more

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Investors call for private firms to disclose more environmental data

(Reuters) - Investors managing $2.3 trillion in assets on Wednesday called
for more than 1,000 private companies to provide environmental data through
non-profit disclosure platform CDP to address a gap in transparency with
their listed peers.

CDP said the group, including Neuberger Berman and Nuveen, had helped create
a questionnaire for private firms that would be used to benchmark them - a
crucial step as they increasingly snap up high-carbon assets from listed
companies.

Those deals, such as oil major BP's (BP.L) $5.6 billion sale of its Alaska
Oil and Gas business to Hilcorp Energy, risked hindering investors' handling
of climate change risks given private firms' reduced reporting requirements,
the group said.

Other investors to back the initiative, dubbed the Private Markets Pilot,
include M&G (MNG.L), Beach Point Capital, Coller Capital and Intermediate
Capital Group (ICP.L).

The project comes as record amounts of capital are put to work in private
equity and debt markets by investors. Private equity net asset value has
grown three times as fast as public markets since the turn of the century,
the group said.

"Encouraging more private companies to actively measure and disclose their
carbon impacts - and also their water and possible deforestation impacts -
is no longer a nice to have - it is essential to the low carbon transition,"
said Adam Black, Partner and Head of ESG & Sustainability at Coller Capital.

"Moreover, it will better enable investors to make much more informed
investment management decisions when it comes to the private markets."

Claire Elsdon, Joint Global Director of Capital Markets at CDP, said the
data from private companies was crucial to ensure investors could meet their
own commitments to reach net-zero emissions across their portfolios by 2050.

"This pilot is essential to avoiding “emissions leakage” between asset
classes such as public companies selling high-carbon intense assets to
private companies in a bid to avoid scrutiny and transparency," she added.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Cryptocurrency prices tumble and exchange trading falters as snags crop up

(Reuters) - The price of cryptocurrencies plunged and crypto trading was
delayed on Tuesday, a day in which El Salvador ran into snags as the first
country to adopt bitcoin as legal tender.

Shares of blockchain-related firms also fell as crypto stocks were hit by
trading platform outages. But the major focus was on El Salvador, where the
government had to temporarily unplug a digital wallet to cope with demand.

Bitcoin, the world's biggest and best-known cryptocurrency, tumbled more
than 17% to $43,000 before paring some losses to trade down 9.20% at
$47,140.27. Earlier bitcoin had hit a session high of $52,948.00.

Smaller rival ether , the coin linked to the ethereum blockchain network,
fell 11.99%.

Major cryptocurrency exchanges Coinbase Global Inc (COIN.O) and Kraken said
they faced delays in some transactions on their platforms.

Coinbase said some transactions were delayed or canceled at "elevated rates"
and that "our apps may be experiencing errors." The exchange later said
issues with Coinbase card swipes were resolved and that transactions were
going through normally.

The Gemini exchange said it temporarily entered a full-maintenance period to
address an exchange-related issue that caused performance trouble.

Coinbase (COIN.O) shares slid 4.02%.

Anything related to cryptocurrencies appeared to suffer. Cryptocurrency
miners Riot Blockchain (RIOT.O) fell 7.38% and Marathon Digital Holdings
(MARA.O) slipped 7.76%.

Shares of MicroStrategy Inc (MSTR.O), a BTC buyer and business intelligence
software firm, fell 7.64%.

The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Alt. Email:       <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw

<https://bullszimbabwe.com/category/blogs/bullish-thoughts/>
www.bullszimbabwe.com/blog

Date & Time

BAT

Analyst Briefing

H1 Virtual

September 7 -1230pm

Hippo

AGM

virtual

September 17 -  (9am)

Star Africa

AGM

virtual

September 23 -11am

National Unity Day

December 22

Christmas Day

December 25

Boxing Day

December 26

Public Holiday in lieu of Boxing Day falling on a Sunday

December 27

Companies under Cautionary

ART

PPC

Starafrica

Fidelity

Turnall

Medtech

Zimre

Nampak Zimbabwe

 <mailto:info at bulls.co.zw>

DISCLAIMER: This report has been prepared by Bulls ‘n Bears, a division of
Faith Capital (Pvt) Ltd for general information purposes only and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or
subscribe for any securities. The information contained in this report has
been compiled from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or
warranty is made or guarantee given as to its accuracy or completeness. All
opinions expressed and recommendations made are subject to change without
notice. Securities or financial instruments mentioned herein may not be
suitable for all investors. Securities of emerging and mid-size growth
companies typically involve a higher degree of risk and more volatility than
the securities of more established companies. Neither Faith Capital nor any
other member of Bulls ‘n Bears nor any other person, accepts any liability
whatsoever for any loss howsoever arising from any use of this report or its
contents or otherwise arising in connection therewith. Recipients of this
report shall be solely responsible for making their own independent
investigation into the business, financial condition and future prospects of
any companies referred to in this report. Other  Indices quoted herein are
for guideline purposes only and sourced from third parties.

(c) 2021 Web: <http://www.bullszimbabwe.com>  www.bullszimbabwe.com Email:
<mailto:info at bulls.co.zw> info at bulls.co.zw Tel: +263 4 2927658 Cell: +263 77
344 1674